Speculation & spoilers regarding The Magos, Pariah etc

Go to solution Solved by EverythingIsGreat,

@ DukeLeto69

Definitely a bad joke

Hey at least it was recognised as a joke. When I try it is ...tumbleweed...

Hey, at least you can make jokes. I'm German, I'm incapable of it by nature.

I'm sitting here hoping that Pariah will be getting a surprise audiobook release as well. Otherwise I'll put Penitent off a while longer (hey, I waited more than 8 years already, what's it matter at this point).

Edited by DarkChaplain

In that case, it flew right over my head. :sweat:

Having just finished reading The Magos, I've been pondering on who the Yellow King might be. As others in this thread, I quite like the idea that it might be Lorgar (or a prominent Word Bearer) or the God-Emperor (or one of his avatars).

Any news on when we might see Penitent released?

Pre-order is the 20th Feb.

Is this the kind of pre-order where I've got 30 seconds to order, else I'll never see them again?

In that case, it flew right over my head. :sweat:

Having just finished reading The Magos, I've been pondering on who the Yellow King might be. As others in this thread, I quite like the idea that it might be Lorgar (or a prominent Word Bearer) or the God-Emperor (or one of his avatars).

Any news on when we might see Penitent released?

Pre-order is the 20th Feb.

Is this the kind of pre-order where I've got 30 seconds to order, else I'll never see them again?

Depends if you’re after the limited edition or the normal one. Although I wouldn’t hand around on the normal hardback either, they can sell out too. 

edit: or as Alfred_the_great says, the normal hardbacks are on Amazon. I might order them there, less to worry about on the 20th. 

Edited by fire golem

I am in the process of reading all the Eisenhorn-Ravenor-Bequin novels and shorts in prep for Penitent. Just finished Malleus.

No idea if this will prove to be relevant but when Eisenhorn visits the shrine world of Orbul Infanta there is a great number of references to “yellow”. This is the holy colour of Saint Ezra.

Now I very much doubt in 2001 Abnett had the concept of The Yellow King (doubt he even knew he would write the Ravenor books let alone the Bequin books) but I wonder if there was some backwards looking inspiration or connection?

I am in the process of reading all the Eisenhorn-Ravenor-Bequin novels and shorts in prep for Penitent. Just finished Malleus.

No idea if this will prove to be relevant but when Eisenhorn visits the shrine world of Orbul Infanta there is a great number of references to “yellow”. This is the holy colour of Saint Ezra.

Now I very much doubt in 2001 Abnett had the concept of The Yellow King (doubt he even knew he would write the Ravenor books let alone the Bequin books) but I wonder if there was some backwards looking inspiration or connection?

A few pages back, I noted that the Inquisitor rule book, which was the original inspiration for the Eisenhorn books, describes the Xanthite philosophy, a radical faction or tendency among the Inquisition that believes that using the tools of Chaos against Chaos is acceptable and, indeed, necessarily. Such radicals follow the path walked by Inquisitor Xanthus: whose name is Greek for “yellow”.

I hadn’t spotted the yellow worn on Orbul Infanta, and I’d need to re-read that scene to see if there are any other signifiers, but the radical inquisitor (Mollitor?) in Xenos favours dressing in yellow.

So, the Yellow-Radicalism connection goes a long way back in the Eisenhorn books.

And now finished Hereticus and the references to “yellow” keep coming.

We have repeated sightings of a yellow speeder.

There is a lake where the waters are yellow.

Pontius Glaw wears a Golden (yellow) mask designed like a face (very reminiscent of Mordrid’s armour in the film Excalibur).

As I said above this could all be meaningless and I very much doubt TYK was even conceived by Abnett when writing this trilogy BUT perhaps “yellow” does/did have significance or meaning or looking back Abnett decided to retrofit some meaning

The repeated references to yellow do stand out though as he could easily have chosen other colours (especially for a lake) though maybe the gold is a stretch?

@Plasmablasts - yep the (Greek) yellow-radicalism link is a good spot indeed. Someone else pointed that out some time back too. Think you are onto something there.

EDIT - lol it was you @plasmablasts who pointed this out in Feb 2019!

Edited by DukeLeto69

On my phone so not going to edit down a massive post but back in 2018 @Letsyoudown posted this...

“Such is the power of an Orphaeus to charm souls and change men’s minds with words alone. And why would anyone oppose his will, for his war is a just cause. It is a holy war, a struggle to reclaim and purify the soul of mankind. A perpetual war. A war that must always be fought at the sacred heart of mankind.”

Excerpt From: Dan Abnett. “Pariah."

Has the answer about the ID of TYK been staring us in the face all along? The word PERPETUAL appears in that quote. Hmmmm

One thing we have done (and I am guilty of this) is assume THE BIG LORE THING that Abnett needed permission from GW/BL to include in Penitent was related to the identity of TYK.

Certainly the identity of TYK is central to the plot but the big reveal could be something else entirely!

We know from various interviews that the big lore thing changes how we might look at the current 40k era and the lore as a whole. It is implied this is fairly fundamental.

Edit for typo

Edited by DukeLeto69

And now finished Hereticus and the references to “yellow” keep coming.

We have repeated sightings of a yellow speeder.

There is a lake where the waters are yellow.

Pontius Glaw wears a Golden (yellow) mask designed like a face (very reminiscent of Mordrid’s armour in the film Excalibur).

As I said above this could all be meaningless and I very much doubt TYK was even conceived by Abnett when writing this trilogy BUT perhaps “yellow” does/did have significance or meaning or looking back Abnett decided to retrofit some meaning

The repeated references to yellow do stand out though as he could easily have chosen other colours (especially for a lake) though maybe the gold is a stretch?

@Plasmablasts - yep the (Greek) yellow-radicalism link is a good spot indeed. Someone else pointed that out some time back too. Think you are onto something there.

EDIT - lol it was you @plasmablasts who pointed this out in Feb 2019!

Two years ago? Time does fly!

My re-read continues and just finished Ravenor (amazing book) and by now I am tuned in to looking for “yellow references”.

There are two in Ravenor. In both cases there was no specific reason why they should be yellow as opposed to another colour. Hmmm!

Also I can totally see where folks started coming up with the idea that TYK was/is Rorken.

Thorn Wishes Talon is next.

Edited by DukeLeto69

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Ravenor Returned (omg what an amazingly good book) and the yellow references keep on coming.

We have a Cognitae agent (major player) with yellow eyes.

We have chaos exposed cogitators with yellow screens (rather than usual green on black).

We have a yellow data tile.

All very deliberate and again, no reason these things had to be yellow as opposed to another colour.

Next we'll find out that Abnett's hobby cellar has yellow wallpapers and he plays Imperial Fists! That'd shock me, actually.

I'm trying to wrap up what I can ahead of Saturday, because I want to binge both Pariah and Penitent in succession asap. It's been far too many years of frustration, but yeah, I admit, I'm excited.

Next we'll find out that Abnett's hobby cellar has yellow wallpapers and he plays Imperial Fists! That'd shock me, actually.

I'm trying to wrap up what I can ahead of Saturday, because I want to binge both Pariah and Penitent in succession asap. It's been far too many years of frustration, but yeah, I admit, I'm excited.

Seriously starting to think the “yellow thing” had meaning during the Ravenor books. Am now reading Ravenor Rogue and the yellow references just keep on coming.