New Knight Castellan Revealed!

Vash113

I really like the way the Castellan looks, it's the right kind of bonkers for me. I just hope we can switch out those meltas on it for something else, melta wepaons are short ranged and I can't see why this knight would want to get up close to the enemy in most cases.

Regarding the rumour engine and the harpoon, then I think you're right. It does look like it'd fit on a knight (I thought that back then too, as did many people) but I guess it might be part of that fortification. I'll have to see it before I condemn the look of a harpoon knight but I'm not sure if it's an easy look to pull off.

I'm not sure what it is myself - I'm just saying that, if GW trots out a Knight bristling with guns and a whaling anti-Titan harpoon gun, I'm going to meet it with my most disapproving of glares.  However little that's worth.

Harrrrrumph.

Someone said that the Valiant looks like the Lancer from FW or at least similar. It might be more like a lance or a spear.

So for me there are two separate issues:

The harpoon itself isn't a problem - I've wanted to build a harpoon-toting Warhound Titan for Adepticon Titanicus for many years now.  Tacking one onto the Castellan would seem very... derivative of the Galleon, in my mind's eye.  That's more of a personal peeve of mine.  If it's more akin to the Lancer, that's probably OK.

The general trend towards "more dakka" is endemic to the new line of vehicles in general.  The Stormsurge is an early offender, and the trend has continued to the Primaris vehicles and now the Knights.  The early GW/FW Knights were very simple - I like to think of them as elegant.  One or two main weapons, one or two support weapons, and that's it.  It's reminiscent of the older Titan designs, with only 2-4 weapons (not counting the Imperator).

Now there's a gun on every surface that could have one bolted to it.  It reminds me of the planes and tanks my friends and I would draw as kids, with so many weapons that you couldn't see the chassis underneath.  Things aren't quite that bad yet, but it's movement in the wrong direction.

So yeah, I'll be sticking with my Questoris Knights (and eventually Armigers, when I get around to it).  Different strokes for different folks.  I don't mean to clutter the thread with my own griping, so that's quite enough of that for now.

I for one don't think the Castellan is overladden with guns. Perhaps the missiles on top is the only thing I would consider not taking if purely for aesthetic purposes. aside from those the castellan only has 4 small hardpoints in addition two its large arm weapons, quite modest given the size of the chassis involved. Its even taking two power plants to power everything. It just works fine my opinion, and feels like premiere suit, more costly and avanced to make and reserved for higher nobles.

To each their own I guess

The problem with too many guns is, it's starting to look cartoony. That's fine for Orks, not for imperial stuff. It breaks the immersion and turns grimdark into grimderp.

The Castellan is at the very edge of this. The Repulsor has gone too far already for my taste, I won't buy one no matter how good it is.

I really do see where you come from as I share your sentiment with the repulsor completely. The added missile launcher boxes in particular oversaturate it to the point where I can only groan.

I just feel this does not apply to the Castellan at all or that it is even close to applying. For one it "only" has 7 weapon hard points total on a very big machine. The repulsor's turret alone has that many! It's a super heavy walker we're talking about here, if anything I feel some of the more bare bones questoris marks are a bit too low on guns. "They make a machine that big and the only real ranged armament it comes with is a leman russ gun that fires twice?" It's not that I can't appreciate a one gun design either, but the bigger the platform, the more firepower it needs to bring to justify its size, I feel.

All in all I agree with that its neccessary to strike a balance, and I find the repulsor to be well outside of it while the Castellan is well inside.

I don’t mind the look of the gunned-up Knights. What doesn’t make a ton of sense, though, is how one pilot runs all of them simultaneously, plus angling the ion shield. None of that matters in-game, but in the stories there’s no talk of servitors. It’s a matter of martial pride and skill to be able to quickly shift from moving your shield up to mowing down foot troops to popping off a shot with a battle cannon. I get that. If you have so many auxiliary weapons, some of them must be automated. Seems like it would be almost embarrassing for a Knight Scion to claim kills made by a machine. Maybe there will be some new background about how only a few pilots can handle the level of multitasking required...

I don’t mind the look of the gunned-up Knights. What doesn’t make a ton of sense, though, is how one pilot runs all of them simultaneously, plus angling the ion shield. None of that matters in-game, but in the stories there’s no talk of servitors. It’s a matter of martial pride and skill to be able to quickly shift from moving your shield up to mowing down foot troops to popping off a shot with a battle cannon. I get that. If you have so many auxiliary weapons, some of them must be automated. Seems like it would be almost embarrassing for a Knight Scion to claim kills made by a machine. Maybe there will be some new background about how only a few pilots can handle the level of multitasking required...

In the book (knights blade) they "slave" their secondary weapons to targets. Which by my understanding would be slaving them to a machine spirit with auto target parameters.

‘And let us hope to the Golden Throne that Percivane’s blessed good luck holds. Everyone else, slave your stubbers and meltas to the greenskins. Keep moving, and target all the main guns at the Gargant.’

Interesting, so the smaller weapons are largely automated. Makes sense to me. It'd be strange for the pilot to choose to individually target meager foottroopers with his anti personnel weapon when he probably has bigger concerns, how to fire his main armanent. Doubt individual ork kills are a point of glory to a knight pilot to begin with. 

Another point in the fluff is that the pilots have some of the imperium's finest augmentations. So when they say "slave" it might be slaved to one of the pilots subcontious subroutines and not the knight itself. Either way the pilots can basically handle an inhuman amount of multitasking and data processing.

The avalanche of input would have driven an unaugmented mind mad. For Danial, conditioned since birth and fitted with the finest augmetics his house could provide, it was akin to omnipotence.

Man, in light of these rumors, the amount of salt being thrown my way by my non-knight playing gaming group is becoming untenable.

"If they're that good, we just wont play you, and ITC is gonna ban them..."

Man, in light of these rumors, the amount of salt being thrown my way by my non-knight playing gaming group is becoming untenable.

"If they're that good, we just wont play you, and ITC is gonna ban them..."

Haha! Yeah, that sounds about right. Knights finally get a truly competitive unit, and everyone refuses to play us :P

I do love me a bit of irony.

This is the edition where even guardsmen can damage a knight, if however unlikely:rolleyes:

This is a sore spot for me...a few games ago I ran a knight and my friend took the shadowsword. My knight got down to one wound and was just about to end his turn then remembered a unit of tempestus he hadn’t shot with. Saved all of the shots besides one, a lowly tempestus took out my knight! Now, I destroy them as soon as possible in anger.

The latest from Spikey Bits

Imperial Knight Houses & Rules Rumors

9 houses for the knights, Questor Imperialis- Terryn, Griffith, Hawdhrous, Cadmus and Mortan. Questor Mechanicus- Raven, Krast, Taranis, Vulker.

Griffith +1A on change, when charged or HI, ya lots of ways to heroiclly intervene with all knights. Raven advance & shoot with no penaly, heavy weap become assault type.  Vulker Reroll 1’s to hit if shooing closest target

A new class desg of Knight for the Valiant / Casteallan DOMINUS

Man, house raven would help armigers out quite a bit. Then they'd get the speed without drawbacks. Although even I'm playing admech I've always had an idea that my knights are freeblades so I'm real curious as to how they actually work that out.

Hypehypehype

If this is all hooey they're being clever about it and using rumors we've already heard way back too, like dropping the Dominus name

Looks to me like they received a large email from someone who's looked it the codex over but didn't take photos. They're just slow leaking parts of that email, hence the poor cut & paste formatting in the articles. Guessing we get a preview of knights this Sunday and pre-order for 1st week of releases on the 26th, and the 2nd round on June 2nd. 

Deathwatch was preorder on May 5, release May 12. Harlequin is preorder on May 19, release May 26. So I would guess preorder for Knights is June 2 and release is 9th, based on the spacing of the last codexes. They could even space it out a little more since the Webway gate is also coming out, along with the new Knight models. 

Sure, but I think the point is that they might ramp up rleases a bit now since it's summer and AoS 2.0 is around the corner. Guess we'll find out soon enough but I wouldn't be surprised if knights are released June 2nd and have a second batch of releases on the 9th

Archived