[ETL] As the galaxy splits in twain...

So back in the miserable days of 4th & 5th Edition when we only had generic daemons, I used Saurus Warriors for Bloodletters and a Dark Elf hydra for a greater daemon. Now the hydra is out since its not in the Chaos Marine codex, but are the Sauruses (Sauri?) acceptable counts-as still for Bloodletters?

After all, the form a daemon takes is subtly influenced by the preconceptions of the summoner and Alpha Legionnaires have a thing for snakes and lizards...

At your own peril fellow moderator, at your own peril! :lol:

Got the email saying my Fire Raptor order was being processed yesterday, but I'm not confident that it'll show up by next Monday. Looks like my initial vow is now gonna be three lots of five Marines, a Lord and a Helbrute, then I'll chuck both Raptors in with my Terminators and the other brute.

By that point I should have finalised my Iron Warriors list, might just sling the lot into one vow. Depends how long we've got left, I'm intending on taking two weeks tops for the first vow, it's only 16 infantry and a big thing.

Dragonlover

It's all about maximising the allowed painting time for me. If I spend most of next week faffing around trying to work out what to vow, I miss out on one of my two days I can get a solid chunk of painting in, which means my momentum stalls right out of the gate.

The fact that I have a 10 hour shift next Tuesday is going to be excruciatingly annoying...

Dragonlover

Having failed last year thanks to vowing an over abundance of cultists, I'm going to try something a bit more sensible this year, a first vow of a helforged predator. I may be able to then do a follow up with a sorcerer or something if I manage to get the tank done in time, bearing in mind it took me 3 months to build and paint a mauler fiend last summer.

It was vowing 40 cultists, including converted flagella ts and painting them to the standard that I wanted that killed me, mind you I've still not finished the chosen squad that I had also vowed, and that doesn't use the DV chosen. I don't think that what's left forms a legal unit on their own though. Might be able to cobble something together as a 3rd vow if I even get that far.

It's why I always say that vowing the DV Cultists is a terrible plan for the ETL, they're so much fiddlier to paint than you think.

Dragonlover

I'm going to put just ten of them into my first vow because I want them painted for a tourney on May 15. But yeah, the rest of it'll be high-ish pointed power armored infantry and vehicles.

I too am riding the cultist train. Got a lot of frostgrave stooges knocking about that need some paint. Only have 7 assembled but have 20 in all... better start gluing tonight...

Built the 'brute for my first vow last night, man that is a fiddly kit to work with!  Started in on the second one as well, but that'll probably be finished tomorrow evening.

Got a game on Sunday to test out my new Iron Warriors list, if it goes well I'll be ordering some Kromlech triple-las bundles for my Predators that'll hopefully be in vow 3.

Dragonlover

Hmm, heresy volkites are cool...but what to count them as for ETL? :smile.:

Plasma?

Ooh, I would be very happy with that! ^_^

Great to see so many new and old faces keen for the Chaos forum - exciting!

So I just took a wander through all the Astartes threads... We might have a decent fight on our hands this year folks! I reckon the traditional focus of the non-Codex Chapters will sweep the Codex guys up in it and help them get their completion rate up.

The Xenos seem... Erratically enthused, so individual forums may well turn out to be a concern once we get a couple of weeks in and the paint is flying.

As for the Heresy lot? They're pretty hyped, but I do wonder of game-related stuff is gonna cause them to lose just enough folks that they can't quite compete. On the other hand, the Traitor/Loyalist split that is now in effect may well spur them all on to greater heights.

Which brings me to us. Personally, I'm feeling pretty confident, the mix of veterans and new blood is always heartening to see. I've also seen elsewhere that we will be being joined by Augustus b'Raas, and he will be running the Soul Vows again this year.

Some key points, for those who have missed them:

Completion rate, especially amongst first vows, is key. I've seen the Captain say elsewhere that realistically the ETL is now an 80% completion game. I say we aim for 85% just to be on the safe side.

Manage your time. If you've got two weeks in the Bahamas coming up, factor it into your plans. There's been many a vow made a lot harder thanks to a wedding or similar that the Frater forgot they were attending.

Better to finish one vow and stop than overreach. Would I like all of us to slam a full five vows in? Absolutely! Am I aware that life happens to the best of us? Yes I am! There's absolutely no stigma to painting a single Chaos Lord and calling it done, every contribution to this glorious Crusade is welcome.

Lastly, don't forget to use the Strategium. It's the number one stop for motivation, banter and *whispers* dancing!

Dragonlover

P.S: Vow sizes have changed, it's now just a maximum of 20k across five vows, so if you want to make a single 20,000 point vow, you can if you want. If you're planning to do the full 20,000 over the event, feel free to PM me and I'll help you plan it. Chaeron will vouch for me in this regard.

Well said Dragonlover. Let me just stress once more the importance of completing the first vow. High completion ratio among first vows is key. The ones who go ahead and complete more than one are a minority and a pretty committed one at that - so high completion rates among second or subsequent vows is pretty much a given. Question is how many will actually complete their first vow!

And another topic that Dragonlover mentioned: ETL weddings! :woot: People that get married this summer, you can let us know of your happy event in the main ETL thread (when it’s up) so they can receive the congratulations of the community! :D

Codex Thousand Sons are included in the Chaos Space Marines Forum, alongside Codex Death Guard and Codex Chaos Space Marines. Codex Chaos Daemons though is only available to those who side with the Daemons Forum. :)

Archived