Codex: DW next week

Irbis

Do we know if Dreadnoughts happen to get the SIA rule or not yet? Now that storm bolters are on the menu, 2x SB Redemptors would be VERY nice if so.

No it does not there is 2 cost values for storm bolters 1 for SIA users and 1 for vehicles.

Awww :unsure.:

Also, anyone confirmed Veterans can take SB yet?

Do we know if Dreadnoughts happen to get the SIA rule or not yet? Now that storm bolters are on the menu, 2x SB Redemptors would be VERY nice if so.

No it does not there is 2 cost values for storm bolters 1 for SIA users and 1 for vehicles.

Awww :unsure.:

Also, anyone confirmed Veterans can take SB yet?

Although my Francais is of the Canadian variety I can definitely tell you that Veterans can definitely take storm bolters...

I'm just kinda disappointed that Chaplains (of the power armour variety) can only take pistols (after just converting storm bolters onto two of 'em!)... but they can take jump packs, as can Librarians.

Just pistols? No regular bolters?

Looks that way... ~31 min into that video... just the pistols for Chaplains and Librarians in power armour (bolt, flame, graviton, inferno, plasma).

Technically you can since it's legal in the Index. But whether GW reneges on this rule in the future is definitely possible, so at your own risk.

HQ Terminators get access to combi-bolters now, but SB is so good there probably isn't any reason to. Confirmed that we still do not get Lascannons, Plasma Cannons, or Multi-Meltas. Why, GW. Why.

Edit:

Bikers confirmed to be 25 base

Terminators are 31 points...why in the hell would they be 5 points more than SM. THEY STILL LOST THEIR TELEPORT HOMER (I just realized this is likely left over from before CA where assault termies cost this amount. This means our codex was likely done before November 2017, they remembered to update the HQ, but they missed Termies)

Corvus is indeed only 10 pts cheaper

IHB still hot garbage

HTH still complete trash

No changes to our unique weapons, or any existing rules. Only changes were they got a pt drop (or, for some, not even that). So literally the only thing they did was have our costs match existing SM ones.

Technically you can since it's legal in the Index. But whether GW reneges on this rule in the future is definitely possible, so at your own risk.

HQ Terminators get access to combi-bolters now, but SB is so good there probably isn't any reason to. Confirmed that we still do not get Lascannons, Plasma Cannons, or Multi-Meltas. Why, GW. Why.

I'd imagine the FAQ ruling on T'au stim injectors is the beginning of the end of the index flowchart.

I hate index because some people totally cheese it out.

The thing to remember though with 8th is if you exploit the rules and that exploit becomes wide spread then you will suffer in the long run because of the FAQs and Chapter Approved updates. If someone does find an annoying exploit of the army you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be get "fixed" pretty rapidly just like Tau Commander spam, Conscripts, alpha strikes, soup lists, etc.

The general rule of making an army now is if you spend a ton of money on a list that you know looks too good to be true then expect to lose your money further down the line.

why in the hell would they be 5 points more than SM

No changes to our unique weapons, or any existing rules

Because incompetence. In literally all books so far DW TDA had fearless tax on, as if LD9 MSU unit with ATSKNF is ever going to use it.

As for guns, I thought DW lost that dumb grav restriction?

Although my Francais is of the Canadian variety I can definitely tell you that Veterans can definitely take storm bolters...

Welp. Time to start filing spare bolters :whistling:

Vehicles not getting SIA is just so slapdash, especially with Storm Bolters getting it across the board otherwise.

Infernus Heavybolter is a weird one. Can you fire both in the same turn?

Yup. As for IH, why would it be any different from other combis? They have specific permission in the main rules, too.

I just bought a small lot of storm bolters to make a unit of breachers that will be half veterans and half terminators to teleport down and do some work.

Can anyone explain how splitting a squad works? Does the unit have to be all veterans? I saw some posts about splitting off bikes and vanguard vets (what I really wanted in some kill teams anyways) from the vets.

why in the hell would they be 5 points more than SM

No changes to our unique weapons, or any existing rules

Because incompetence. In literally all books so far DW TDA had fearless tax on, as if LD9 MSU unit with ATSKNF is ever going to use it.

As for guns, I thought DW lost that dumb grav restriction?

Pretty sure they just forgot to update the cost to CA considering every other unit costs the same as base SM. We essentially got Chapter Approved 5 months later. But yes, this is also incompetence. Everyone should send in an email to their FAQ page asking about this upon release. Termies at 26 pts base will be pretty good elite choice.

Also, no one cares about grav :teehee:

Edit: Nevermind, confirmed Dreadnoughts do not get SIA.

Just to confirm some of the things being said here.

I have the screen of the costs

Frag cannon are now 25pts, Making the IHB really useless. I think the later pay the price of the HB AND the HF being over priced. HB should be 5pts and HF on footlslogger should be 10

As for the SIA on vehicles, I only have datasheets for infantry models hence I cannot say. However, there’s still a problem : the prices of all the bolt weapons have been raised to fit the new profile (good to see now I won’t pay for SIA on a pwr sword/PlasmaP marine). SO, it means that if I put a SB on my rhino, I’ll pay for SIA I cannot profit from :wacko:

Need to be reported...

Just to confirm some of the things being said here.

I have the screen of the costs

Frag cannon are now 25pts, Making the IHB really useless. I think the later pay the price of the HB AND the HF being over priced. HB should be 5pts and HF on footlslogger should be 10

As for the SIA on vehicles, I only have datasheets for infantry models hence I cannot say. However, there’s still a problem : the prices of all the bolt weapons have been raised to fit the new profile (good to see now I won’t pay for SIA on a pwr sword/PlasmaP marine). SO, it means that if I put a SB on my rhino, I’ll pay for SIA I cannot profit from :wacko:

Need to be reported...

You're assuming the worst there without having seen the book

Edit:

Bikers confirmed to be 25 base

Terminators are 31 points...why in the hell would they be 5 points more than SM. THEY STILL LOST THEIR TELEPORT HOMER (I just realized this is likely left over from before CA where assault termies cost this amount. This means our codex was likely done before November 2017, they remembered to update the HQ, but they missed Termies)

Corvus is indeed only 10 pts cheaper

IHB still hot garbage

HTH still complete trash

No changes to our unique weapons, or any existing rules. Only changes were they got a pt drop (or, for some, not even that). So literally the only thing they did was have our costs match existing SM ones.

yupp- its a big disappointment from that side. NO POTMS on the Corvus (WHAT?!) and all the other stuff....Artemis now wounds on a 2+...wow.

Primars inclusion is nice, and necessary so that GW sells more models, stratagems& mission tactics add flavor...but everything else...meh. 

Overall I think we're getting some good changes with the codex! I'm excited to pick it up next week.

Do we know what war gear will be available to the captain in terminator armor? My dream is to have a combi-melta and melta-powerfist captain in terminator armor, OR one with a heavy thunder hammer.

I'm very disappointed that they didn't do anything with the heavy thunder hammer, and that Primaris still make no sense in terms of transportation with Corvus (Lore-wise, how the hell would a Primaris ever be deployed on a Deathwatch mission?)

Overall I think we're getting some good changes with the codex! I'm excited to pick it up next week.

Do we know what war gear will be available to the captain in terminator armor? My dream is to have a combi-melta and melta-powerfist captain in terminator armor, OR one with a heavy thunder hammer.

I'm very disappointed that they didn't do anything with the heavy thunder hammer, and that Primaris still make no sense in terms of transportation with Corvus (Lore-wise, how the hell would a Primaris ever be deployed on a Deathwatch mission?)

Looks like the combi-melta + melta-fist combo is good to go for the Watch captain in terminator armour! Daaaamn that's hot... but pricey!

Hope it's alright to put a few point values here... I'll remove them if it's not...

Watch Capt. in Term armour = 105

Combi-Melta = 20 

Melta + Fist = 17 + 12

Heavy thunder hammer is a disappointment overall.

I like the above idea, though I'd really take combi-plasma instead. Cheaper and much more versatile, you have either 4 excellent anti-infantry shots or 2 good anti-tank ones.

Hopefully, a lot of people here know the Youtubing genius that it StrikingScorpion82. He has been doing codex reviews (and in my opinion, they are the most in-depth of any Youtuber) for a while and he has just uploaded his review of the Death Watch codex.

Here you go: 

Hopefully, a lot of people here know the Youtubing genius that it StrikingScorpion82. He has been doing codex reviews (and in my opinion, they are the most in-depth of any Youtuber) for a while and he has just uploaded his review of the Death Watch codex.

Here you go:

In depth, indeed. Though yet another YouTuber that doesn't play the army so his analysis is a little shallow, I feel. Still, very useful.

I don't mind vehicles not getting the special ammo (CTs not applying to them is now standard, although dissapointing) beside perhaps the Dread which should get the SIA for his storm bolter.

Corvus getting at least strafing run was small so I can't say I'm surprised it didn't get it as well.

However Terminators being 31 points base and Infernus not getting SIA despite it's cost is just absurd and I hope it will get FAQ'd.

Archived