Malachi’s Gambit, Shadow War in Segmentum Pacificus

Would you mind snapping a couple more pics from behind showing the cloaks?

These guys are really shaping up. Awesome work!

As requested,

VsLkAm1.jpg

7WgX4ff.jpg

I got lazy with the cloaks, if I had put another minute or two into sanding the cloaks they would have looked significantly better.

Interesting: the 3D printed arms look decent in terms of resolution. Material looks grainy but it's really not that bad, especially impressed by the ammo boxes with casings exposed. On another topic, what's up with the ammo on the base? Are those Vulcan megabolter rounds?! :p

The Arms are a Now discontinued (likely C&D) product from somebody on shapeways, intended to order the higher resolution version, but was not paying attention and ended up with the lower grade version. The Base is from Elrik's Hobbies,  The idea was to have them ZM themed force... Part of the three stages of "The Gambit"

Actually trying to figure out what to do next in terms of building... 

Logical me: Land Raider for the Seeker Squad 

Fluff bunny me: Destroyer squad (but be damned to break #Forgeworldboycott)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually played with this army for the first time against what i will dub the emperors children "flying crack party" Which consisted of two drop podded leviathans, A Legion Praevian with a pack of Vorax, Eidolon and some footslogging infantry. lost the game badly but had lots of fun...

Highlights:

-Managed to kill a Leviathan in one turn of shooting via a melta support squad 

-Having My Delegatus kill a kitted out Praevian in a challenge in a single turn of combat

-A Regular Mortis Dread taking several hull points off a Leviathan

fun times....

Future stuff...

Finishing the last guy in a seeker squad and actually buying another land raider...

The 501st served as taciturn if not aloof hosts, they were in the business of keeping secrets, not sharing them…

Attributed to the Valentina Santos former special envoy to the Al-Hadi flotilla 

Finished up the 8 man squad of Seekers

jnp44FT.jpg

and a fully magnetized Legion Moritat 

HkD9kT4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got the Destroyer squad largely squared away, I magnetized the backpacks for a future jumpack upgrade

yIQpYz1.jpg

Did some more work on the Legion Champion

LhjGA07.jpg

qZ7isbW.jpg

Also got myself some anvil industries Regiment models  to play around with, possibly to build a stand in solar auxlia force

RlOCZKw.jpg

Update... I have a second land raider in the works, but the aftermarket treads lacked a couple of links, thus requiring additional waiting time for missing items to arrive.... 

Did a Test model for my Rogue trader/Solar auxilia allied force. Never could afford real solar auxilia models , so I bought a couple of Anvil Industries regiments models to see if they could be a stand in... They had some casting flaws in the arms and legs, that went unnoticed until I put a coat of primer down, necessitating a second session with a knife and sandpaper to fix. I have dubbed this regiment the Solar 205th "The Children of Hermes" (they originally formed on Mercury, thus the name)

HvsbNpk.jpg

Started a second land raider, Yet to name it, Perhaps after a historic death deity or funerary practice, input wanted.... 

In terms of the actual land raider the aftermarket treads went together somewhat less well then before, you can see the results below...

vTw9bWG.jpg

Finished up my Heresy Era Dark Angels Land raider designated Ereshkigal's Judgment, Also realized I have enough parts to create a five man Plasma Support squad, so I put together a Sergeant for reference...

uHLWFtc.jpg

Dark Angels Legion tactical support squad sergeant with a rare Plasma repeater...

CX32kTb.jpg

Looking good, I'm a big fan of your Raiders, the Auxilia are shaping up nicely too, though I'm surprised to hear of casting issues, I normally find Anvil to be close to perfect. Are those the phase carbines?

Thanks for the support, you are indeed correct with regards to Anvil industries, If I had inquired they likely would have sent me new ones, but I really only needed a couple of models to demo the color scheme, so I bit the bullet and fixed them. The problem areas were on the top of the phase carbine arms, between the legs, and the feet... 

Today I Figured out how to magnetize the notoriously finicky 3rd party "not plasma repeaters". They are too fragile for traditional 1/16x1/32 magnets, so I drilled a small pilot hole and inserted a paperclip, then cut it off and sanded the nub flat, creating a ferrous surface for the magnet on the other side to act on.

HojZXpn.jpg

I'm slowly going through and reworking the veterans with an airbrush (so far I have completed eight... Waiting on some more bases to arrive to finish them...

M7vKh5M.jpg

Also, reworked a Power axed armed legionary, with a cross draw holster.

dU2U9XK.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've finished the second Contemptor Mortis dreadnought, dubbed Honored Onyeka, armed with twin autocannons...

G59UiZd.jpg

Also finished the majority of the re-worked line infantry, All that left is one line legionary and the banners, and my 2500 points of Darks Angels should be complete...

IsGGhZE.jpg

Onyeka looks good, I adore the style of the Contemptor autocannons.

Will we be seeing some transfers/freehand tactical markings on the infantry?

Have yet to decide, I looked at adding 3D printed  "totally not dark angels symbol" to the sides of existing infantry models. Alternatively I could go back and put on a bunch of transfers (or pay someone to do it, I hate working with them). My Freehand Fu is non-existence, I was always the one in art class that could never Draw a straight line...

I'm not a fan of using transfers either, I always struggle with them.

I've slowly started to try freehanding after avoiding it for the same reason, however I found I swiftly improved with practise, half of it is confidence! I think the Dark Angels symbol could be a good one to start with as it can be easily deconstructed into straight lines.

Archived