Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshop - 15 minutes is better than none

Twas painful indeed, but I’m quite happy with the end result! Gave the cloak an all-over wash of Biel-Tan Green and it flattened the stray brushstrokes enough to blend it well with the green-tinted black scales. He won’t win me any Golden Daemons, but hopefully he’ll win me a game or two. 

The pictured brush is an AP Super Detail Brush. It was STILL too big to properly do some of the highlights at my current skill level. ‘Eavy Metal Blister art is something else, I tell ya what. 

IMG_6062.jpeg

IMG_6063.jpeg

IMG_6064.jpeg

IMG_6065.jpeg

IMG_6066.jpeg

Progress over the last couple nights—gonna take it slow on Szarekh for a bit, so decided to throw in this last Outrider I’ve got to paint. 

Painting this chassis leadbelcher by hand is a pain, but better than painting white over Leadbelcher, that’s for sure. 

IMG_6103.jpeg

IMG_6095.jpeg

IMG_6083.jpeg

Progress from the last couple days, probably aggregated 15 min/night, but driven more than a bit by idle painting during virtual small-team-tactics exercises (online DnD :tongue:)

IMG_6130.jpeg

Big development tonight is getting the other part of the base laid down… gonna add Armageddon dust to it later, and a yellow stripe, maybe. My Averland sunset is being tetchy. 

Also added second coat to sword and some gold detailing. 

IMG_6132.jpeg

Last night’s progress:

Armageddon dust needs a coat of Agrax, but the red is largely done! Edge highlighting on the engine housing is probably next before i move on to painting the white armor. 

IMG_6141.jpeg

I lied, there was no edge highlighting done and the engine housing needed another coat of red, but that’s all fixed, the base was shaded, and I put some grey over the splotches of red on the white armor. Also touched the tires up a bit because the paint keeps scraping off the raised edges for some reason. Unsure if this is due to the primer or because it’s too big for my painting handle and I haven’t glued him to the base yet so I keep manhandling him that way. We shall see. 

IMG_6146.jpeg

Edge highlighting! Got it done before I left for the day, and then came home nine hours later to realize ‘oh CRAP’ because I’d left the pot of Fire Dragon open. Oops! Fortunately, it’s a fairly thin paint, so no actual damage was done. If it had been my ulthuan grey, it’d have been a different matter:sweat:

Another coat or so of Ulthuan, plus shading, cleanup, and detailing, and he should be done!

IMG_6152.jpeg

Progress from the past two nights—nearly done! The AP Super detail is AMAZING for the blue recess wash I like to do, better than my AP highlighting brush for sure. Still have to work on, brush control, though, and clean up a bit on the white before moving on to the rest of the shading and the chapter symbols. 

IMG_6171.jpeg

IMG_6162.jpeg

And done he now is! Finished him last night but my camera yelled at me and wouldn’t let me take any pictures until today. Pretty pleased with the detailing on him, mainly the edge highlighting—been doing a lot of that lately. 

Next up, back to Szarekh, now that I have the next few paints I need. 

IMG_6178.jpeg

IMG_6179.jpeg

IMG_6180.jpeg

IMG_6181.jpeg

Last night and tonight’s progress on Szarekh the Sanguine. Unsure HOW i an going to get the wings white/metallic white, but I’d like to, and also in search of a good replacement/custom mix for Cryptek Armourshade Gloss, which Duncan’s video uses and is now out of production. Any tips/suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Also, I learned glazing! Not super good at it yet, but for a first try I’m reasonably happy with how it turned out! Highlighting next time I sit down to do some more work. 

IMG_6184.jpeg

IMG_6185.jpeg

IMG_6188.jpeg

For making the wings metallic white, what about a metallic medium mixed in with the paint? I know Vallejo make one.

Is Warhpster's vide on Szarekhan Necrons any help? He uses Aggaros Dunes and Wyldwood.

(Juan Hidalgo has a similar video, although he uses Guilliman Flesh over silver)

• 2 weeks later...

Well! Haven’t posted in here for a bit, but rest assured I’ve been busy… have completed the bodies of Szarekh and the Trairchy, complete with too much Cryptek Armorshade and waaaay too much time edge highlighting. No weapons or eyes done yet, and while I have purchased the Vallejo metal medium, I haven’t yet experimented with it yet—plan to do that in the next day or two. Also might experiment with a different color for the cloak than the greenish tinge, but using the same method Duncan uses, to try for a Blood Angels Red type deal. 

Will be going back to the Dias and menhirs for a bit, doing what I have the paints for. 

IMG_6248.jpeg

IMG_6249.jpeg

IMG_6250.jpeg

Hey fellas, have been idly thinking about schemes for the wings… would appreciate some input. 

In order: 

plain stormhost, corax white mixed (poorly, possibly) with Vallejo metal medium, corax white over Stormhost, 2 with Stormhost edge highlights, plain Corax over leadbelcher, and then six is enhanced for detail:

clockwise from right wing, BA red over: Leadbelcher, Stormhost, Iron hands steel. 

Someone elseserver also suggested I add a beatified BAngle on the steps of the Dias—and i wont lie, I’m considering it. Thoughts,

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6270.jpeg

That’s what I ended up going for, and I agree about IH steel—has really got the ‘depth’ that I’m looking for. Also reverted his knee wings to Stormhost, though I may give them a shade at some point. 

REALLY pleased with how he’s turning out!! 

IMG_6278.jpeg

On 2/24/2024 at 12:30 AM, Boc said:

I would've never thought to add sanguinary wings to a necron but it's surprisingly complimentary

Are you still planning on doing a green on the cloak? I'm colorblind so maybe you have, but if not something else is definitely needed to help add some depth

Cloak isn’t done yet, don’t yet have Contrast Medium, which I need for the blending Duncan recommends. Funnily enough I am thinking of doing the cloak in Blood Angels Red instead, to go with the Szarekh the Sanguine vibe i’ve been aiming for (the wings themselves are red also), but yes, there will definitely be depth added. 

19 hours ago, ZeroWolf said:

He's looking fantastic. What colours you thinking for his platform?

I’m following Duncan’s tutorial (for the most part, obviously he doesn’t do the head swap etc), so it’ll end up looking fairly close to the box art. 

Had myself a busy and productive weekend! Based my last Outrider (and some touchups on the other two), Daimyo Lenoch underwent some much-needed surgery in preparation for his armor being repainted, I managed to finally greenstuff up the eternity gate on my Monolith, complete with a warrior emerging from it, and am looking forward to priming that at some point, and lastly, I put a good chunk of work into basecoatint my latest squad of Cantorellians (and since I bought them secondhand, there were actually 11 in the lot, so I am assigning the spare to my scratchbuilt HWT base. 

I also spent Saturday playing a crusade game against a mate’s Dark Eldar. My Marked for Greatness went to my squad of Tesla Immortals that I have now named The Storm, because they annihilated a squad of Wracks on overwatch, nearly obliterated a squad of Incubi who probably wouldn’t have survived if I’d used Solar Pulse, and then proceeded to smack two or three units to death. They got five kills that game, though I don’t remember precisely which all units those were, and whether it was 2 melee kills and 3 shooting kills, or the other way around. It turns out that full rerolls to hit thanks to power matrix, and full rerolls to wound thanks to enemies sitting on objectives, is VERY good :biggrin: . Probably why they nerfed Cynosure of Eradication tbh, because that’s just BROKEN.

Anyway, twas a fun game. 

IMG_6296.jpeg

IMG_6297.jpeg

IMG_6299.jpeg

IMG_6292.jpeg

IMG_6304.jpeg

IMG_6300.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been quiet on here but still very busy—among other challenged like the March for March and 12MoH Plodding Along Vow of Szarekh, I’ve been making progress on some other stuff too—namely, finishing my next guardsmen squad (+1, secondhand lot with an extra rifleman who will be joining my so-far-solo HWT)

IMG_6434.jpeg

IMG_6433.jpeg