How Interchangeable Are The Weapons On Primaris Marines?

Hey, everyone.

I'm looking at adding some Primaris Marines to my Deathwatch army, but I'm trying to keep within a 40 model limit (aka a single Watch Company).  As such, I'd really like to magnetise the weapon options on some of the Primaris models to give me the most options within those 40 models.  I'd like to specifically magnetise the following weapon options on the following Primaris units:

• Intercessors (Bolt Rifles, Auto Bolt Rifles, and Stalker Bolt Rifles),
  • Hellblasters (Plasma Incinerators, Assault Plasma Incinerators, and Heavy Plasma Incinerators),
  • Inceptors (double Assault Bolters and double Plasma Exterminators), and,
  • Aggressors (Flamestorm Gauntlets and Boltstorm Gauntlets with or without Fragstorm Grenade Launcher).

How viable would such a project be, to magnetise all weapons options for any given Primaris Marine, using the regular Primaris kits?  Also, how easy would it be to convert the Dark Imperium models to do a similar thing, assuming that the bits in the regular Intercessor and Hellblaster kits are separate?

Intercessors: Duable but not easy as the weapon defrence is in the ammo magasine and the scope. Very very small magnets, if not able to snap fit them.

Thanks for the response.

I actually bit the bullet and bought a box each of all of those units at the weekend, and took a good look at the kits and their assembly instructions.  Some of them are going to be easier to magnetise than others.

The Intercessors are, for the most part, likely going to be the most problematic.  The differences between the three types of weapons they have are only expressed through the replaceable middle section, which contains the magazine, a bit of the weapon's body, and the scope.  This middle section is pretty small and fiddly, and probably not big enough to magnetise without ruining some of the details.  About the only way I can think of to do it would be to cut out the connecting piece between the front and back end of the weapon, green stuff the equivalent on the middle bit, then magnetise the back to the middle to the front of the weapon, essentially turning it into a three piece weapon, which seems like far too much effort and may well end up in lost bits.  I fear that I'll have to just glue the Intercessors together.

The Helblasters are mostly okay.  The Heavy Plasma Incinerator has an additional piece attached to the backpack, which is an easy magnetisation job, a different muzzle on the gun, which is also pretty easy, and magnetising the hose coming off of the backpack to the receiver underneath the gun shouldn't be hard.  Likewise, for the Plasma Incinerator, the muzzle should be easy, and the receiver will already be magnetised for the plasma canisters to be attached.  The only tricky part will be the Assault Plasma Incinerator, specifically the sight on top of the gun, as there's just not enough material to drill into for a magnet, and neither of the other two weapon options use any kind of sights.

Inceptors are likely going to be the easiest of the four to magnetise, as they share no components on the arms other than the Shoulder Pads (one of which will be glued on anyway, as a Deathwatch Shoulder Pad).  So I'll just need to magnetise the arms, the right Shoulder Pads, and maybe the hoses coming from the backs of the Plasma Exterminators where they attach to the back of the model.  I'll probably just use one set of heads, as I don't really think that it's all that necessary to magnetise the heads on these models anyway.

Finally, the Aggressors should be fairly easy.  The arms themselves will be glued to the bodies, but I'll need to glue the tops of the fists to the ammo feeds to the modules on the backpack separately, then magnetise those to the model (so I'll have a base body with two sets of tops-of-hands-to-feeds-to-modules, with the fists magnetised and the modules magnetised).  Since there are separate shoulder pads for each type, the right one will have to be magnetised but the left one (the Deathwatch one) will just be glued.  Like the Inceptors, I won't bother magnetising the heads.

Archived