Imperial Knight faq is out! + codex Renegade knights

hermanista

So. Is there any reason for a Dominus renegade to ever sport any other setup besides conflagration cannon + volcano lance?

You can't take those two. Same as the imperial one - you swap them in pairs. So lance+plasma or flamer+harpoon.

I never liked paying for terrain in my games, anyway.  I get why it's a thing (so GW can sell terrain models to everyone) but it just never did anything for me as a concept.  Besides, Knights are intended to be a mobile army and camping next to a glorified gas station doesn't seem very glorious to me :P

So. Is there any reason for a Dominus renegade to ever sport any other setup besides conflagration cannon + volcano lance?

Other than it can't? :smile.:

You can't take those two. Same as the imperial one - you swap them in pairs. So lance+plasma or flamer+harpoon.

Ah of course. Was reading too fast. Saw the words exchange and their names, and immediately threw my hands in the air.

Pretty much all I wanted from it!

*notices there's a word fix for the Sacristan Forgeshrine that doesn't really do much, it's still trash*

Well almost all I wanted ;-)

It's been made even worse. Now you can't use it to beef up relic weapons.

Loving the changes. So many lists I have because useful.

Still strange that the shrine is a method to make your army worse by spending points. I just can't understand how that came to be.

Magaera is still 100 points more for being worse than the Styrix.

But the net gains for added CP far out weight those two points. I'm pretty pumped.

Pretty much all I wanted from it!

*notices there's a word fix for the Sacristan Forgeshrine that doesn't really do much, it's still trash*

Well almost all I wanted ;-)

It's been made even worse. Now you can't use it to beef up relic weapons.

All 4 of them. And since the 'beefing up' you speak of is a net loss... well you get the idea.

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/imperial_armour_index_forces_of_the_astra_militarum.pdf

Seems the Astra Militarum Index was Faq'd also. This includes the Forgeworld knights.

EDIT: The only real thing it fixes is the Questor Allegiance keyword thing, no points cost adjusts. Oh and the disengage from swarm thing.

INDEX Renegades? Oh my! 

GW are knocking it out of the park in terms of listening to us. Alright, we don't get traditions, but I can live with that - we get free Ob-sec, and still can use dual avengers and the like. Colour me a happy kitty!

Also, 6 CP Lances?! Oh blessed day!

I knew sacrificing my first born to Tacgnol would pay off eventually....

Well that is an amazing improvement. Now means knights aren't tethered to having the need for guard battalions. Now being able to get up to 9 CP is a massive boon. May not seem like much but oh boy it feels like a gas valve got opened!

And the forgeshrine continues to be trash beyond trash. Maybe if it could heal for massive amount of wounds it may be worth SKIPPING YOUR SHOOTING!

Heard one guy at my GW doing early theory on how it might be good...didn't bother with him because it would be obvious enough why it wasn't good. GW are awesome with the CP change but can someone here e-mail them the maths regarding averages vs. max rolls? It is better to fire twice with any random shot weapon over two turns as you gain more shots and you also DON'T give up turn 1 shooting.

However I do wonder if no-one has noticed but 2 freeblade burdens technically interact. 4 and 6 I believe is a little vague as one means you HAVE to charge all targets within 12" however the other states you can only charge the closest target. This effectively means you can actually minimise the effects of one burden against the other, effectively having 1.5 burdens...technically.

And the forgeshrine continues to be trash beyond trash. Maybe if it could heal for massive amount of wounds it may be worth SKIPPING YOUR SHOOTING!

Heard one guy at my GW doing early theory on how it might be good...didn't bother with him because it would be obvious enough why it wasn't good. GW are awesome with the CP change but can someone here e-mail them the maths regarding averages vs. max rolls? It is better to fire twice with any random shot weapon over two turns as you gain more shots and you also DON'T give up turn 1 shooting.

My pet peeve to be sure and I take every opportunity to harp on this!. Oh and you're not just giving up shooting, you're also giving up moving, charging and your attack stat is set to 1 should you be charged yourself somehow. AND (!!!) you're giving up the shooting of ALL your weapons this turn to maximize the roll of ONE weapon next turn. A catastrophically bad deal.

My pet peeve to be sure and I take every opportunity to harp on this!. Oh and you're not just giving up shooting, you're also giving up moving, charging and your attack stat is set to 1 should you be charged yourself somehow. AND (!!!) you're giving up the shooting of ALL your weapons this turn to maximize the roll of ONE weapon next turn. A catastrophically bad deal.

It really is laughably bad. Is there any hope at all that we get a rules rewrite for Chapter Approved? Gives us all the bonuses and choose 1 or maybe 2 of the negatives and it's at least okay in certain circumstances..

I think it needs a complete rewrite and rethink. The negatives are just piled too steepily. It needs to be met by bonuses that match them. 

I just find it easier to go from the other end. Start with something super simple and work you way up.

Like tsomething along these lines: If you station a Dominus at the shrine, it replenshies any shieldbreaker missiles fired and and as long as it remains stationed it does not use up any additional shieldbreaker missiles it fires. <--- This a meager benefit for a meager cost (your knight has to stay put and you also paid to place the shrine on the battlefield). Shouldn't be too hard to build something ontop of that, rather than trying to come up with some bonus that is equal in 'weight' to the ludicrous cost we currently have.

GW have stated that the Renegades Index was due to 'Overwhelming public demand'. There are even rumours of a Renegade or Dark mech codex being considered floating around now :)

The real take home? They listened. Which is great news for all of us I think, especially considering how things have been in the past. Add that to the reports of awards and a huge year for them financially and it's a great time for the hobby. Kudos GW.

I think it needs a complete rewrite and rethink. The negatives are just piled too steepily. It needs to be met by bonuses that match them. 

I just find it easier to go from the other end. Start with something super simple and work you way up.

Like tsomething along these lines: If you station a Dominus at the shrine, it replenshies any shieldbreaker missiles fired and and as long as it remains stationed it does not use up any additional shieldbreaker missiles it fires. <--- This a meager benefit for a meager cost (your knight has to stay put and you also paid to place the shrine on the battlefield). Shouldn't be too hard to build something ontop of that, rather than trying to come up with some bonus that is equal in 'weight' to the ludicrous cost we currently have.

I don't know, I like the movement bonus from the shrine. Just replenishing missiles or something similar would make for very stationary play whereas a plethora of perks essentially supercharging your knight for next turn sounds like a more fun mechanic to me..

My point was more that it'd be easier to build on a bonus to a simpler base, rather trying to give an balanced set of bonuses for the colossal detriment you take by using the shrine. I mean what is even fair when you lose all that? Translated to movement specifically, how many is a fair trade for giving up all shooting, charging, etc?  Not entirely trivial to answer. Also very different for something like Gallant vs a Crusader. At any rate, it needs to be completely rethinked. Drop the prohibitive list of detriments and make something a lot simpler.

As it is they nailed the simple when it came for benefits, but went all in when it comes to costs.

The worst aspect of the *!%^shrine, is that you have to burn a detachment to take it. It'd need to be sooooo much better for that to be worthwhile.

Take a Void shield generator instead. It costs more, but hell, if you have shooty Knights that you don't mind keeping still ala the *!%^shrine, park them next to that, get what amounts to a free rotate Ion shields (on everything), and still retain your shooting.

I’m late the party and the link isn’t working on my works internet for some reason. Can I go buy forgeworld knights now and play them or is it still broken? Still 2 hours away from home and I’m dying to know.

Thanks folks

Forgeworld are working now, as per the IA Index: Astra Militarum Faq, where they are listed. You're still paying FW prices for them but they're 100% legal RAW now.

(Gasps in binary)

Hello forgeworld store, be gentle (wallet wimpers)

Forgeworld are working now, as per the IA Index: Astra Militarum Faq, where they are listed. You're still paying FW prices for them but they're 100% legal RAW now.

(Gasps in binary)

Hello forgeworld store, be gentle (wallet wimpers)

And, you still play 1CP for Rotate on all the FW Knights - even that Acastus. Take that Dominus class! Muhahahahaha!

Archived