Imperial Knight faq is out! + codex Renegade knights

hermanista

Maybe it's an oversight, maybe they didn't feel like playtesting possible ramifications and left it as such on purpose. Is there any chance they'd errata their errata? I feel like it's probably going to remain as is until the next big faq or chapter approved..

It's almost certainly deliberate that certain Strats and Relics don't apply. They added the class keywords specifically to the Imperial versions, and it had to be for that reason. 

Whether though it was intended for Exalted Court and the Relic strat to work that way is debatable. I think that could use some clarification.

There's certainly a good chance they'll fix it rapidly if it's pointed out. They've been great like that in fairness of late.

so looking through the stratagems that were leaked earlier, the only things/ stratums that cerastus knights can't get is the heirlooms and the household stratums. Dominus and questorus classes only, which for sure excludes the cerastus. it's fine, that just means my first character I will pick before those Cp's will be the archeon to get the god-flammer. still kinda a pain, but still manageable. 

gosh, I am loving this codex more and more as I think about this...

Good catch. This means that if you want to take a FW knight, it can get warlord traits and relics only if you pick it as the warlord naturally, as opposed to using the stratagems. Which locks us out of using the Grand Strategist/Kurovs Aquila thing (Well, you can pay a cp to get the Aquila). Still, with the new CPs we got from the FAQ, you could argue that we don't need them.

Oh, and the Acheron can't take the "god flamer" - if you meant the "Traitor's Pyre" relic, that is locked to the Valiant as an exchange for the conflagration cannon.

Edit: Hah, verily thou hath been ninjaed, Stray.

If it helps:

You could though give it the 'Blessed by the Sacristans' Warlord trait, then nominate it's Flamer to provide additional mortal wounds on wound rolls of 6+.

oh I apologize, I meant god flamer as in a relic / warlord trait combo. The "godflamer' on the archeon is the sacristan warlord trait as mentioned and the Headsman mark from krast. 2d6, str 7 ap  -2 Damage 3 shots, becoming Damage 4 against anything w/ 10 or more wounds on the profile, then becoming Damage 5 against titanic units. headsman mark affects all weapons though, so you can get that on his bolter and his fist, but the thought still stands.

heck, even played this combo today with a knight list. my archeon flame-broiled a blood thirster, three wounds passed the invuln to do 12 damage, then two bolters sneaking in 4 more damage in. guy proceeded to punch a kryat engine and burn a land raider to ash. he's a pretty cool guy, though  i think the 4+ invuln save would be better for how much fire this guy will receive.

Did they ever release that character knight? I wondered if it's mentioned in the codex as we seem to have jumped into age of sigmar without it coming out

No, I think the only word for that is that it's due later in the year. When it's released it's supposed to have all the knight accesories in the box, so it'll be the biggest one they make for the questoris class and will probably replace the warden/crusader box. Someone over on dakkadakka talked about this before it was announced that it would arrive at a later date and he said it'd be out before the end of the year and cost an additional £10 over the warden/crusader box.

I really want it so I can make a preceptor but some people have made their own using the arm from a forgeworld atropos and putting on a questoris. It looks pretty close and is certainly an option if you already own an atropos or want to buy one anyways..

I just want it for the pilot and cockpit really. Though chances are I'll make him into a preceptor anyway because it's new bits on him further differentiating. 

But yeah "Later this year" is the only official words we've heard. I've seen people taking this to mean "after summer" or "just before christmas" but we'll see

Huh.

Just had a thought. In the excitement, it seems to have gone unnoticed that there are no rules for the Preceptor in INDEX: Renegade Knights.

I wonder if that was intentional? O.o

If they add that in later, with it being a Questorus Chassis, will you be able to free assign the laser alongside say an Avenger? Would Armiger bonuses be tied to the laser itself, or just not present? Questions, questions...

Yeah, I feel like the pilot and the shrine could make for some pretty sweet custom scenarios. Your pilot starts outside the knight, which is stationed in the shrine, and has to run to it with a small force of troops whilst under attack from the enemy. The enemy can then choose to try and either kill your pilot or your undefended knight. 

Could be fun, could also just be me trying to get some use out of that shrine :P

No chaos preceptor is weird, since they have stolen the STC for the las impulsor several times according to the codex, maybe they feel his role is too hopeful since he's like a mentor?

Yeah, I feel like the pilot and the shrine could make for some pretty sweet custom scenarios. Your pilot starts outside the knight, which is stationed in the shrine, and has to run to it with a small force of troops whilst under attack from the enemy. The enemy can then choose to try and either kill your pilot or your undefended knight. 

Could be fun, could also just be me trying to get some use out of that shrine :tongue.:

No chaos preceptor is weird, since they have stolen the STC for the las impulsor several times according to the codex, maybe they feel his role is too hopeful since he's like a mentor?

I think they rushed it out somewhat to be honest. The fluff section is quite literally a cut and paste from the original Index: Chaos entry on Renegades.

I suspect they just missed it due to the lack of a model, or because it's potentially a little more complex to add in than some of the others, they figured they'd sit on it for a bit. Either way, it's no big deal - I've no doubt it'll come up when they release the Ser Hekhtor kit later in some form or another.

Per the Perceptor fluff, this pattern is relatively new, and they are piloted by veterans with strong connections to their Thrones while Renegade fluff points out the conflict between a traitor pilot and their Throne.

I’m cool with Perceptors being more loyal.

SJ

Per the Perceptor fluff, this pattern is relatively new, and they are piloted by veterans with strong connections to their Thrones while Renegade fluff points out the conflict between a traitor pilot and their Throne.

SJ

Hmm. That's not really true from a fluff perspective. In fact, the codex references Preceptor Class Knights being relatively rare among Imperial houses for long periods since the Horus Heresy. A 10,000 year old (at least) Knight pattern isn't exactly new.

Las Impulsors were originally built on three worlds. Two of these were destroyed, the third turned traitor! This being the case, from a fluff perspective, you are possibly more likely to see a Renegade Preceptor than a loyalist one.

Loyalists had the ability to manufacture them again since M34 after finding a random STC, then lost the capability again in M38, only regaining it once more relatively recently. Renegades on the other hand never lost it from what we can surmise.

Nah, you can still take a Porphyrion, you just can't give him Traits or Relics unless he's your Warlord. Everything else works fine.

You can actually give your Pophyrion a relic, and he doesn't have to be the Warlord to get it:

1. Take Porphryion in an SHD

2. Choose him as the model that becomes a Character

3. Give him the free relic you get for being Battle-forged.

Tadaaa. :happy.:

You are right in that he can't be chosen for the Exalted Court or the Heirlooms of the House stratagems. No such restrictions on the free relic, tho. :wink:

SJ

Hmm. That's not really true from a fluff perspective. In fact, the codex references Preceptor Class Knights being relatively rare among Imperial houses for long periods since the Horus Heresy. A 10,000 year old (at least) Knight pattern isn't exactly new.

Las Impulsors were originally built on three worlds. Two of these were destroyed, the third turned traitor! This being the case, from a fluff perspective, you are possibly more likely to see a Renegade Preceptor than a loyalist one.

Loyalists had the ability to manufacture them again since M34 after finding a random STC, then lost the capability again in M38, only regaining it once more relatively recently. Renegades on the other hand never lost it from what we can surmise.

Check your own statement, I bolded it for you.

SJ

Regaining the ability to manufacture them relatively recently does not make them relatively new.

Indeed. Nor does it mean they weren't available to Renegades because of the STC - the fluff states that there is a Traitor Forge with the capability to also make the impulsor - independent of the STC.

I'm not sure what point you're making here SJ - could you explain further?

Sure thing! Just because it existed before does not mean it still exists in the current setting. Most of the Crusade and Heresy era Knights are rare relics in 40k, which supports the possibility that there are probably next to no Relic Perceptors. And just because there is a traitor Forge World with the original STC doesn’t mean that the Dark Mechanicum is building Knights with Las-Impulsors. It point of fact, given the lack of a Las-Impulsor option on Renegade Knights as well as the fluff stating that current Perceptors are being built using a recently recovered STC, the only “Relic” Perceptor appears to be Canis Rex.

SJ

That doesn't mean that the Dark Mechanicum isn't building Preceptors, either, or that they've never turned traitor on their own. It's hard to speak in absolutes with regards to 40K lore, except for headcanon.

quick question... can you still use warlord traits of the household traditions if you play as a custom household?

Brother just do counts as, tell your opponents I've got my own house and use hawkshroud or Krast or whatever.

It's fine.

Archived