Make a Man(iple) out of You.

Thanks for the kind words folks.

As to the next steps, I’m currently starting on what a few Dads have assured me is a two week hobby period (that is to say Paternity Leave). I’m not entirely sure I believe them though. :p

I want to get enough finished up for a 1250 point game with a mate who’s recently got the Battleforce and some Forgeworld goodies (He’s going Legio Fureans). Current plan is two Warlords with missiles/plasma/ Volcano cannons and a Warhound in a Regia Maniple, with Quake missiles if there are points spare.

The goal for the future is to get enough terrain built and painted for a 4x4 and paint up two Reavers and three more Warhounds to make an opposing 1250 point game for some Krytos civil wars to act as intro games or to make a 2500 force.

That just leaves two more Warlords. I may sell the unassembled one as four Warlords is overkill in most situations, but I may keep it for the odd game where I want to run a Krytos Heavy Maniple with four Warlords at 2k.

I spent some time building a decent LoS blocking piece of terrain, which I quite like, but it turned out a bit squint. I’d glued all the wall pieces together flat on the table to avoid them bending, but didn’t get it perfect.

Eh, I’ll live and will throw up some photos when I’m at my PC. I’ll probably avoid buildings with such big footprints in future. I think 5x5 squares was asking for trouble. I’ve still got the big box of terrain unopened and some spires, so hopefully that’s enough terrain for a decent game.

C&C Welcome.

Dallo

Thanks Mendi. I’ve been selling some stuff to make a bit of a hobby budget nest egg as the wee one will likely get quite expensive.

Did you use the plasticard to make “floors” to keep the buildings square? I used floor pieces on the first level and on the rooftops so thought they would have helped. I put a poly pocket onto a flat surface and put the wall pieces on them to keep them flat. The poly pocket is great as superglue doesn’t really stick to it if you keep the plastic moving for a few seconds after you glue it. Maybe practice makes perfect. I had planned to make modular, stackable buildings, but I find it hard to get them to “slot” on and off easily, so I think I’ll just glue them together.

Dallo

Did you use the plasticard to make “floors” to keep the buildings square? I used floor pieces on the first level and on the rooftops so thought they would have helped. I put a poly pocket onto a flat surface and put the wall pieces on them to keep them flat. The poly pocket is great as superglue doesn’t really stick to it if you keep the plastic moving for a few seconds after you glue it. Maybe practice makes perfect. I had planned to make modular, stackable buildings, but I find it hard to get them to “slot” on and off easily, so I think I’ll just glue them together.

Dallo

This can definitely help (if cut straight of course). What I meant is to use plasticard or a bit of sprue, or anything else that is flat actually, to glue the civitas imperialis wall components on top of it, with the plasticard / bit of sprue being on the back of the walls. This can help even though there can be very few contact points. Otherwise, I work on a flat surface and use a straight wooden plank to ensure the walls are well aligned at the top as well. And I measure everything, quite often.

Some buildings do "slot" on perfectly, others not so well. Sometimes, removing a little bit of thickness can help but it can prove time-consuming and is really the sign that the initial angle is not "perfect" (often unnoticeable of course). I also use a L-square to ensure my corners have the right angle.

Hi folks,

Just a quick update today.

I managed to get a bit of a start assembling my new Warhounds. Shame they got ran over. :ermm:

yWoHSP8h.jpg

I've also made a start on one of the bases.

4870dHwh.jpg

This one uses some offcuts of cork floor tiles, some spare MDF and leftovers from my scenery builds.

IttvrZgh.jpg

Here's the base as it stands now, with some texture added to the ground.

ddR5JHAh.jpg

Hoping to get back to semi-regular updates on this thread, but we'll see how sleep deprivation takes its toll on that plan.

C&C Welcome.

Dallo

Today I learned that Warhound parts laid out look like frogs.

Yes. Yes they do.

Another quick update while the little one is behaving.

6I8g7UOl.jpg

I decided I wanted to something to add a bit of individuality to my Warhound. I thought it was worth having one easily identified one (i.e. the one with the spiky mohawk) to use as Princeps Senioris if I ever run a Lupercal Maniple.

mjkpyH8l.jpg

The spines are still a bit fragile (and a pain to get lined up), so I'll probably add some more glue once they dry.

If you're curious, the spines are from the Dark Eldar Raider kit.

Dallo

I decided I wanted to something to add a bit of individuality to my Warhound. I thought it was worth having one easily identified one (i.e. the one with the spiky mohawk) to use as Princeps Senioris if I ever run a Lupercal Maniple.

Great idea, and one that functions better than a mere paint job in poor lighting conditions.

Thanks for the kind words.

I've made a bit more progress on the Warhound, but I'll wait until it's a bit more interesting before sharing.

One other thing I've been working on is a model for my Princeps Senioris, which will sit on the command terminal to denote which Titan is in charge.

42x0pS9h.jpg

It's just a simple headswap, but I like it.

983ySqVh.jpg

Head is 3rd party. Not sure where from.

Dallo

Steal away. Delaques are a good shout and have the added benefit of providing female options.

I’d been toying with getting a sprue from eBay and making Princeps for all of my Titans, though one step at a time I think.

Be sure to share if you folks convert your own Princeps.

Dallo

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

Some of you old hands may remember this plog from back in the day. I was aiming to get a force of Titanicus painted up, along with a gaming table and terrain to go with it.

Sadly I never achieved this goal, so I'm giving it another go.

I think the main motivator is that I've now got a potential opponent who is local (and is even a member of B&C), so the plan is to get together for an intro game at some point in the future (pandemic permitting, of course).

To that end, I've taken stock of all of my Titanicus stuff to see what I have to work with. I've got three Warlords, three Reavers and four Warhounds which are all in various states of assembly and paint.

Realistically, the most sensibe thing to aim for is to complete two Warhounds and a Reaver to give me a game legal maniple for my first game or two, but we'll see where my motivation lies. One thing I will need to do is redo all of my existing armour trim. Back in the day, I thought Steel Legion Drab was a brass colour. It's actually brown, so I'm redoing it in gold. 

I've had some time to think and I intend to replace the Orky head on my painted Warlord with a normal head. Looking back at it with fresh eyes has shown me that it looks more like a Gargant than intended.

In terms of somewhere to game, I recently got some generic rocky outcrops as a commission from a friend of mine (Dark Architect Terrain on Facebook) which will hopefully see use in games from Titanicus to Star Wars Legion to 40k.

AYb427cl.jpg

It's pictured here on a 3x3 mat for Star Wars Legion, but I'm planning on revisiting my 6x4 Realm of Battle board and giving it a fresh coat of paint so it will tie in nicely for Titanicus too.

Finally, because I like to start projects rather than finish them, here is the WIP base for my latest Titan. It's a Reaver who I actually got as a trade for some OOP Cawdor gang cards. I think I came out pretty well with that deal.

eUNEV9El.jpg

As always, comments are very welcome. I found that having a really involved and supportive community was really motivating last time I tried to get some Titans painted.

Dallo

Thanks for the kind words Chaeron.

I'm pretty chuffed with the terrain myself. As I said, they were a commission job by a friend and were well worth the price of admission. I got 1.5 x 1.5 foot (area) of them for less than £40 posted, which I thought was a bargain, given the versatility of the pieces.

Just a quick update tonight. Did a bit more work on the Realm of Battle. If you're not aware, there are quite a few skulls on this board.

Some are subtle.

pggQ2JJl.jpg

Others, less so.

JYlAv4Cl.jpg

The small areas of skulls were roughly cleaned up with some hobby clippers and then sand was glued over the top. I used superglue for very small areas and PVA for bigger areas.

Ka6gqnDl.jpg

The skull pits got a layer of £1 filler and then a layer of sand and PVA once that dried.

OdDkAEgl.jpg

MrkmiIal.jpg

The next step is to go over the rocks with some cheap grey primer and do the rest with brown craft paint.

Hoping it's relatively quick and painless, but we'll see.

C&C welcome.

Dallo

Glad you enjoyed my Necromunda stuff.

I think Necromunda really benefits from posting while there’s a campaign running. As you might have guessed, it’s been a while since I’ve played a game, let alone a campaign.

That being said, I’m being pessimistic and expecting that it will be 2022 before I manage to get back to tabletop gaming in person, due to COVID. That way, if it happens earlier, it’s a bonus.

Dallo