AT Chat, Lists, and Conversions For All Stompy Robot Lovers

Fajita Fan

So there’s a lot of Warp Runners here, what do you guys think of their Legio-specific rules. I find them kinda underwhelming as I get ready to paint mine. :sad.:

Their traits support big titans really well.  The +2" to move is more important to bug hulking warlords - warhounds are already pretty zippy. Same with the repair rolls - re-rolls are good, especially on the larger titans. 

Yeah, Astorum has fantastic rules. They probably run the best Warlords in the game with the movement bonus and speed rolls, and if they can get Warlords sharing shields somehow (Fortis or Regia maniple traits atm) they can get a little absurd.

Anyway, fantastic news via Garro on FB:

loads of new Titanicus stuff, weapons and scatter terrain are resin, the Acastus and the Questoris knight upgrade are plastic. the QKU kit is one of those smaller sprues that the marine chapters have had with chapter specific shoulder pads etc on, it has three missile pods, three gaunlets, two meltaguns, and a couple of new heads. It will be on sale by itself, and will have the standard box set re-release to have it in by default for future purchases.

emphasis mine

What do you thing will be the setting for the next supplement? I'm betting on Tallarn

I'd love Tallarn if that were next... Although, that'd be the perfect time to introduce tanks too...

loads of new Titanicus stuff, weapons and scatter terrain are resin, the Acastus and the Questoris knight upgrade are plastic. the QKU kit is one of those smaller sprues that the marine chapters have had with chapter specific shoulder pads etc on, it has three missile pods, three gaunlets, two meltaguns, and a couple of new heads. It will be on sale by itself, and will have the standard box set re-release to have it in by default for future purchases.

emphasis mine

Curious to see the price at which the questoris upgrade sprue will become available. Ultramarines and Space Wolves primaris upgrade sprues are respectively £10 and £8 if not mistaken, so probably looking at something in that price range. Standard box re-release would likely see a price increase then.

The acastus is on a 50mm round base according to a post I briefly saw on Instagram.

The Manachean Campaign relied heavily on Knights and Titans and they could roll Xana II in with that as well. There's also Mars itself, pretty heavy Titan combat there and would bring at least Ignatum in as well as Loyalist Tempestus if they're to receive their own rules (the BRB ones are listed as Traitor).

So there’s a lot of Warp Runners here, what do you guys think of their Legio-specific rules. I find them kinda underwhelming as I get ready to paint mine. :(

Their traits support big titans really well.  The +2" to move is more important to bug hulking warlords - warhounds are already pretty zippy. Same with the repair rolls - re-rolls are good, especially on the larger titans.

I’m not terribly sure why I read this as “once per game” so yeah this pretty nice.

“During the Damage Control phase, or when enacting an Emergency Repairs order, a Legio Astorum Titan may re-roll one of its Repair Action dice. If it'is a Warlord Titan, it may instead re-roll two of its Repair Action dice.”

Too bad I only have one Warlord for them, I have 3 made for my other Legio.

Yeah, Astorum has fantastic rules. They probably run the best Warlords in the game with the movement bonus and speed rolls, and if they can get Warlords sharing shields somehow (Fortis or Regia maniple traits atm) they can get a little absurd.

emphasis mine

any pics out there of the Questorus upgrade sprue?

Not that I've seen, but I guess it's possible. I'm pretty sure it wasn't on display, though. Which is a shame, because I want to see the new head options :(

Have you seen this?
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Fest2019-Sat14-TitanicusAcastus1cr.jpg

What do you thing will be the setting for the next supplement? I'm betting on Tallarn

Tallarn would be interesting. I could see it as a book that focuses more on campaign and environmental rules. As far as we know it's just Gryphonicus vs. Krytos, but maybe they could expand on that too?

The Manachean Campaign relied heavily on Knights and Titans and they could roll Xana II in with that as well. There's also Mars itself, pretty heavy Titan combat there and would bring at least Ignatum in as well as Loyalist Tempestus if they're to receive their own rules (the BRB ones are listed as Traitor).

I don't know if we'll see Manachea, since it wasn't so much Titan vs. Titan, but who knows? Mars, though, heck yeah. I'd love some Tempestus color plates, and we know there are a ton of Ignatum fans out there waiting for rules. There's a lot of potential for adding in other Legions and Knight houses too, and I guess people would want to see Taranis too.

I'm still expecting a Calth/Shadow Crusade book next, and if not next then probably within the next year of releases. They have color plates for Legio Infernus that they were originally going to include with Titandeath, and Legio Praesagius is reasonably popular. They could easily fit in Legio Oberon (Death Bolts II) and Legio Audax, and there are two other decent options for Loyalists to include in Legio Honorum (Death Bolts) and Legio Lysanda (ADB had these vs. Audax on Armatura in Betrayer). Vornherr would definitely appear too, and Andy is probably keen to feature a House he created again. And with Audax they could add an uncommon weapon/wargear expansion, including Ursus Claws, Saturnyne Lascutters, etc, and a little pack of weapon cards along with the release.

Don't forget Surturvora for Calth.

I think the Manachean Campaign would have a chance, at the very least as Knight v. Knight and if they roll in Xana II it could be better. I mean hell, they made a book out of Molech.

as well as Loyalist Tempestus if they're to receive their own rules (the BRB ones are listed as Traitor).

Really doubt that will happen. The BRB Tempestus rules notes that both the Traitors and the Loyalists fight in much the same way. Perhaps they'll diverge further on when the bad guys turn into bird titans in time for Terra.

In any case, I'm betting on either Mars or Calth for the next supplement. Ample room to add in other Titan Legions (Magna!), revisit Tempestus with some colour plates to go with their new transfer sheet with a Mars book, etc. But Calth would be great too though and LYD's summary certainly makes that look like the most likely option.

So there’s a lot of Warp Runners here, what do you guys think of their Legio-specific rules. I find them kinda underwhelming as I get ready to paint mine. :sad.:

I’m not terribly sure why I read this as “once per game” so yeah this pretty nice.

“During the Damage Control phase, or when enacting an Emergency Repairs order, a Legio Astorum Titan may re-roll one of its Repair Action dice. If it'is a Warlord Titan, it may instead re-roll two of its Repair Action dice.”

Too bad I only have one Warlord for them, I have 3 made for my other Legio.

I play Astorum and I use warlords as much as I can. I've run a Myrmidon maniple of 3 warlords and a reaver at 1750 points. The new resin guns make cheaper and meaner warlords available, and the speed boost lets you get into 24" easily. People expect warlords to be wasting their servitors' time servicing bellacosa volcano cannons but as soon as you stop doing that they are actually agile enough to keep almost everything in arc. 

I really like the stratagem that lets you roll to get shields back when they collapse. It's so good when someone catches you in the missile barrage to then put your shields back up before they can zap you with a proper gun. 

So far I've only had a warlord titan die once in five games.

The warlord fist is still useless, even for Astorum unfortunately. I mean I could have a warlord full stride for the first turn or two, and I'd probably get near to something, but I'd much rather have spent turns 1 and 2 firing a warlord's guns at stuff.

Unfortunately our special rules are a lot less good for warhounds. I don't really think you should ever double-push a warhound's reactor to move. The difference between 12" move and 14" isn't all that much, but the difference between having shields and not having them, because you cooked your reactor, is a really big deal. 

I basically have all Reavers and Warhounds with one Warlord for my Warp Runners, I'm either going to pick another set of Legio rules that fit the hundreds of dollars I've spent or pick another Legio...

Also I don't remember seeing this guy around here but check this out:

https://kaijucountry.blogspot.com/2019/04/the-road-to-golden-demon-warhound.html

Scroll way down, it's a very long post, but he reproduced his 28mm Reaver at AT scale, even the base.  I love it.

Dont know if this is the best place to ask this, but what blue have you been using for astorum? Im seeing people on insta with really nice shades that I cant seem to replicate with GW paints.

I used macragge blue over white basecoat.

Don't forget Surturvora for Calth.

I didn't forget ;) Legio Infernus is just an alternative name for Legio Suturvora.

Gah, I didn't even see you list that. I'm blind.

The Shadow Crusade would be a good expansion: Legio Praesagius, Legio Honorum, Legio Oberon (I think it was them with their orange and black stripes - Audax took out one of their Imperators in Betrayer) versus Suturvora, Legio Audax and someone else. There's a big battle in the timeline in the Titanicus rulebook that Highlights Ignatum, Vulturum and a few other cool sounding Legios like the Silver Pikes or something!

We also could possibly get straight to Siege of Terra to give us the demon titans - but somehow I think there's at least one fluff book before that.

I basically have all Reavers and Warhounds with one Warlord for my Warp Runners, I'm either going to pick another set of Legio rules that fit the hundreds of dollars I've spent or pick another Legio...

If you want. The Astorum rules are pretty strong so they do benefit reavers and warhounds. That reroll of a repair can be a big help for a warhound. Melee reavers running 11" are able to make serious headway too.

Clearly, the different legios’ rules benefit some titans more than others. But Astorum’s rules are generally so strong that they benefit everything up to a point. They are transformative for warlords, but still good for everything else.

Astorum’s weakness is its comically bad set of warlord traits. One of them lets you roll the order dice instead of rolling for an order. That’s literally like doing the sabotage stratagem to yourself. And bear in mind that an Astorum princeps seniores is probably a warlord, meaning that you have a 1+ command value already, so you can almost always get the order that you want. The other traits aren’t quite that bad, but they are of limited, situational benefit at best. It’s not a table you’d ever want to roll on.

Astorum’s abilities are certainly not as bad as Defensor, from a warhound’s point of view. Even if a warhound was in range to fire a gun twice on turn one, it would not be keen to push its reactor straight into the orange to do so. Or you could have one of the Legios like Atarus or Krytos, with no obvious benefit at all.

So overall you’re never penalising yourself by playing Astorum. It’s more likely that our Legio will be seen as the power gamer’s choice.

Edited by Mandragola

Still haven't played a game with Defensors strategems and I kept forgetting about their first shooting phase two shots mechanic lol! Not very wise with Warhounds though I'm building a Warlord to try out an Axiom Maniple who will fire his rockets or Quake Cannon twice :D firing the volcano cannon twice could be hilariously dangerous. The Warlord traits were alright though I got some use out of the one where the Warlord can do Emergency Repair and another order.

The defensor bonus shot seems fantastic for shield stripping with missiles. It's probably worth the boost on a reaver or warlord, I think. And the icon things that improve command value are one of the very few paid for upgrades available to any legio that seem worth their cost.

I've considered painting up some Solaria warhounds. A Lucius maniple seems to give enormous flexibility. You can either run them all seperately to get activations or up to four at once to fire everything before the enemy responds. Most of the traitor legios have really good bonuses for warhounds as well. A Vulpa ferox maniple could be really nasty - I'm considering making one as an alternate force, as it'd play radically differently to my Astorum. I don't love the colour scheme though.

Just thinking ahead to the release of Citadel Contrast - anyone considering painting their Titans with them, or indeed - utilising it for armour panels? I imagine it could be quite an effective way of getting that depth and gradient without an airbrush. 

Just thinking ahead to the release of Citadel Contrast - anyone considering painting their Titans with them, or indeed - utilising it for armour panels? I imagine it could be quite an effective way of getting that depth and gradient without an airbrush. 

I think that stuff is going to just pool by the trim, giving you the usual shading.  They applied it on very uneven surfaces on most demos - and on marine armor, well, it goes into recesses but the armor itself looks pretty flat.