AT Chat, Lists, and Conversions For All Stompy Robot Lovers

Fajita Fan

Just thinking ahead to the release of Citadel Contrast - anyone considering painting their Titans with them, or indeed - utilising it for armour panels? I imagine it could be quite an effective way of getting that depth and gradient without an airbrush. 

I think that stuff is going to just pool by the trim, giving you the usual shading.  They applied it on very uneven surfaces on most demos - and on marine armor, well, it goes into recesses but the armor itself looks pretty flat.

Possibly! I think that'll depend on volume and flow too - I mean, usual shading isn't problematic and if the 'pooling' by the trim is addressed - I think it can still be effective. As you say, it might work most effectively though where there's more texture or raised surfaces/recesses rather than flat or curved panels - although it might equally (in more than one coat - which might not be the intention!) provide a useful zenithal or light-source based effect to play with.

It might work, but I don't think it's intended for large flat panels. I'm interested to see the undercoat though. If there's a proper white then I'd get it for the yellow bits on my Astorum guys.

Likewise on the undercoat - that might certainly help for subsequent paint applications as effectively as utilising Contrast itself. Will look forward to experimenting!

I think I've seen someone suggest it might be possibly effective to get a nice 'candy' effect via airbrush with these - again, something else to play with potentially. Appreciate these may not necessarily be the intended application - but I'm also keen to see whether these are also effective tools for glazing and wet-blending, and other similar techniques, that'll utilise the qualities of the paint in varying ways. 

How do you guys use legio Mortis? Heavy Warlords/Reavers/Hounds? Or a mix of them?

The Warmaster's Beneficence makes Bellicosa Warlords usefull? Or is still better to use Sunfury?

Any tips with Mortis, in general?

I only have play a couple of Games, withouth using orders, specific wargear or stratagems, so I need some help hahahaha

Sorry for my bad english, i'm not a native speaker

Edited by prime-alber

It might work, but I don't think it's intended for large flat panels. I'm interested to see the undercoat though. If there's a proper white then I'd get it for the yellow bits on my Astorum guys.

From what I’ve seen, the special undercoat for them is more of a bone colour, but it’s designed to take the contrast paints. I’m considering Fureans as an opponent force for my Atarus, and painting a nice, rich, easily repeatable yellow is what I’m trying to figure out. I was considering yellow ink over Corax White undercoat, but this might be a better option. I would expect it still needs highlighting to look super effective, but I reckon yellow might be one of the colours this really helps with.

How do you guys use legio Mortis? Heavy Warlords/Reavers/Hounds? Or a mix of them?

The Warmaster's Beneficence makes Bellicosa Warlords usefull? Or is still better to use Sunfury?

Any tips with Mortis, in general?

I only have play a couple of Games, withouth using orders, specific wargear or stratagems, so I need some help hahahaha

Sorry for my bad english, i'm not a native speaker

Your English is fine.

Mortis seem like a good all-rounder to me. The thing about them that really stands out is their special 3 point stratagem where all of them get to move at the start of the game. That's a potential game-winner for missions like retrieval, vital cargo, and if the enemy has hold the line. It would also be great for a Ferox light maniple that wanted to get into melee/up close.

It takes effect on a whole maniple. As such you'd probably want a whole maniple made up of titans that wanted to be near to the enemy. A decent 1750 list might include a full ferox maniple and a warlord equipped for long-range firing as a reinforcement.

The option to ignore the draining quality is much more interesting than +1S to missiles. Missiles are probably hitting shields the first time you fire anyway. You could consider giving that warlord a load of draining stuff, say an all-laser set up. That's very expensive and I haven't yet tried it, but it could be very scary. The lasers could land placed shots where the volcano cannons had hit - which is a great way to kill a titan.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1457146014410018&id=384163051708325&ref=page_internal&__tn__=%2As%2As-R

So the Age of Darkness posted some AT-relevant notes from the heresy seminar. Key points:

- Other cerastus variants to come out in plastic, no ETA

- Mechanicum versions of knight designs planned, could be resin or plastic

- More scenery planned

- Talk of more ways to distinguish loyalists and traitors as they deviate further, including daemon titans

- the concept of blackshield-esque legions, i.e. from forge worlds who don’t take sides or scorn both Horus and the imperium. Possibly this is where Xestobiax comes in?

- focus remains in finding campaigns/battles to introduce new stuff with

- DIY custom legion rules in forthcoming WD

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1457146014410018&id=384163051708325&ref=page_internal&__tn__=%2As%2As-R

So the Age of Darkness posted some AT-relevant notes from the heresy seminar. Key points:

- Other cerastus variants to come out in plastic, no ETA

- Mechanicum versions of knight designs planned, could be resin or plastic

- More scenery planned

- Talk of more ways to distinguish loyalists and traitors as they deviate further, including daemon titans

- the concept of blackshield-esque legions, i.e. from forge worlds who don’t take sides or scorn both Horus and the imperium. Possibly this is where Xestobiax comes in?

- focus remains in finding campaigns/battles to introduce new stuff with

- DIY custom legion rules in forthcoming WD

I'm intrigued by this, maybe a table of bonuses with points costs or something? I'd be down for that.

Edited by Fajita Fan

Anyone tried quake/volcano/missiles on a Warlord and just sit there with as many open fire lanes as possible? I might do that in my list that has one Warlord as I’m wondering if they’re more efficient as a immobile gun platform.

Anyone tried quake/volcano/missiles on a Warlord and just sit there with as many open fire lanes as possible? I might do that in my list that has one Warlord as I’m wondering if they’re more efficient as a immobile gun platform.

I'm trying it on friday :P first time using a Warlord but I might try model the Nova Guard golden speakers on it aswell... 

I think there’s a case for a fire support warlord like that. I’ve got one and it does good things.

But for killing enemy titans the sunfury and macro gatling armaments feel a lot more effective. Titans are killed by taking multiple high-strength hits to the same location and that’s what these guns do. Sunfurys have given me more engine kills than any other gun.

My bellicose/quake warlord did get a kill of an enemy warlord, but its apocalypse missiles got the killing blow. Those are surprisingly effective for finishing things off at long range, thanks to the +1 to hit you get. The ability to get accurate targeted hits can be the most useful thing against a really damaged location.

I can imagine plasma is pretty solid but the 24” range band means a 500pt Warlord is walking forward to get into range and probably won’t shoot much on turn 1. This also gets it closer to the Knights who are probably running across the board at it.

I’m just doing some Theoryhammer as to whether it’s better to park a Warlord in the back and just First Fire every turn to get the most shots you can over 5 or 6 turns at the longest range possible to make it harder for Cerastus Knights to jam lances up his anus.

Comand Terminals being downloadable is nice, helps make their use feel more like a creative choice and gameplay tool rather then an extra fee to extort out of players if they want to play using more then the two of each Titan and two banders of Questoris that come with the core rules... now all we need is a similar downloadable file for the weapon cards.

I can imagine plasma is pretty solid but the 24” range band means a 500pt Warlord is walking forward to get into range and probably won’t shoot much on turn 1. This also gets it closer to the Knights who are probably running across the board at it.

I’m just doing some Theoryhammer as to whether it’s better to park a Warlord in the back and just First Fire every turn to get the most shots you can over 5 or 6 turns at the longest range possible to make it harder for Cerastus Knights to jam lances up his anus.

24” isn’t all that bad really on a 4’ square table. If those pesky lancers are coming just don’t advance. They’ll come in range by themselves soon enough.

Volcano cannon and plasma is a very effective - but expensive - set up. It’s good that you can have two of these guys by buying one of each kind of warlord. Only problem there is that the lasers on the roof are expensive and non-awesome.

Comand Terminals being downloadable is nice, helps make their use feel more like a creative choice and gameplay tool rather then an extra fee to extort out of players if they want to play using more then the two of each Titan and two banders of Questoris that come with the core rules... now all we need is a similar downloadable file for the weapon cards.

This is great, now I can freely admit that I just Xeroxed all the command terminals, laminated them, and I’m using magnetic sheet behind them with magnetic tacks. I am not paying $25 for cardboard.

24” isn’t all that bad really on a 4’ square table. If those pesky lancers are coming just don’t advance. They’ll come in range by themselves soon enough.

Volcano cannon and plasma is a very effective - but expensive - set up. It’s good that you can have two of these guys by buying one of each kind of warlord. Only problem there is that the lasers on the roof are expensive and non-awesome.

I will totally try the plasma too. I wish more of you guys lived near Washington DC.

Redoing my 3D printed carapace megabolters because I don’t like how they came out. They came out too big for my taste, my Reavers look like there’s a storage container sitting on top.

I’m too lazy to print an ammo hopper to print separately and glue on but that’s starting to annoy me. The minimum range makes them not terribly useful on a Warlord but I kinda want each model to look different.