Prot's new Ahriman and base questions

Prot

Hey guys

My old Thousand Sons thread is no more, so I thought I'd put up my new Ahriman here, and in case you don't check out the forge forum, I wanted some base feedback:

So I'm well into my second Thousand Sons army after selling the first.

I did them once with a basically earth tone/brown type of basing scheme. I usually sprinkle in some of the fancier resin bases I see that I like.

ahriman-1.jpg

This is my latest Ahriman on such a base. (It would fit in with a lot of schemes so I'm not too worried about it.)

So here are two Tzaangors I painted. One is on a base from the GW line from the Sector Imperialis, the other is on a typical base I used in sand colours with Cork stone work.

tzaangors-test-base.jpg?w=860

(I would probably rim either/both bases with Black like Ahriman's)

So that's the basic consideration I have right now. Some of the characters would get 'fancy' sand bases from resin collections I have of bases. But if I go with the Sector Imperialis it's a different look... more along the lines of city fight.

here are some other examples of how I paint those imperialis bases on my armies that do use them:

Some Deathwatch on my Imperialis Bases:

kill-team-dw.jpg?w=928&h=322

Some of my Custodes with those same bases:

allarus-prot-completed-group-1.jpg?w=860

Now here is an example of some of my sand/cork bases in my Grey Knights:

9-troops.jpg?w=860

and some of the sand/cork mixed in with some resin bases for characters:

protgkarmyshot1.jpg?w=860

So I think that's a good sample size for you to see.

Now if you were taking my Thousand Sons into account, which bases do you think they would look better on?

I've been a long-time fan of your armies and battle reports, and while I think the imperialis bases are really well done, I think the Thousand Sons would look best on the dusty/sandy cork bases. I think the metal and brightness of the imperialis bases will clash with all the metals on the Thousand Sons.

Plus, the thematic of dusty bases with the Sons...All is dust afterall.

I personally love the styling of Ahriman's basing.

The cork bases also look stellar, and I think they make an excellent continuation of the earthen hints of Ahriman's basing; but it would be excellent to include some of the runic stylings hinting at Ahriman's base.

If I may be so bold as to presume to offer my opinion to one who is evidently infinitely more talented at painting than I, I would say the way you're painting the Sector Imperialis bases, especially with the vibrant blue lights, pulls my eyes away from your excellent paint jobs on the miniatures due to their vibrant colors. Blue colors may catch my eye much better, however, since I am somewhat red/green colorblind and the models in question do not utilize the blue portion of the spectrum very heavily; i.e. this may not apply to Thousand Sons as much.

I personally love the styling of Ahriman's basing.

The cork bases also look stellar, and I think they make an excellent continuation of the earthen hints of Ahriman's basing; but it would be excellent to include some of the runic stylings hinting at Ahriman's base.

Dito.

If you have a Space Puppy player in your gaming group, snow is always an option. Your SW friend might even gift you some base decorations. :tongue.:

The pink Tzaangors look great, a much more interesting choice than blue Tzaangors next to blue rubrics.

"IF" I were to ever get the funds to do a 1kSons army (second favorite Chaos Faction), I'd want to go with something that would give an air of the "arcane". 

I'd consider something from the Shattered Dominion line for bases. 

Yeah, it is for Age of Sigmar, but the Fantasy elements would fit with 1kSons very nicely.

I don't think the Sector Imperialis works for 1kSons. Too technological IMO

Archived