Barners SW Primaris Progress

sbarnby71

The thunder hammer wielder and his base look great! As for his left hand, frost claws will get in the way when he wields the hammer. Best give him a shield; or a pistol with a chain linking its butt to the Space Wolf's shoulder (see lanyards used with real world pistols for reference), so he can lay down suppressive fire as he charges forth to bring the enemy within reach of his hammer, the lanyard preventing him from losing the pistol when he releases it so he can wield the hammer with both hands.

I do have some wrist mounted weapons from the Blood Angels Sanuinary Guard kit and also the Grey Knights that might fit in well - will give them a try.

My concern with wrist-mounted weapons is the chance they'll get in the way with wielding a handheld weapon. In the thunder hammer wielder's case, suppose he wants to spin the hammer to build up momentum for a crushing blow, or to force an enemy knife wielder to back off. Will a wrist-mounted storm bolter's barrels get in the way of the spinning hammer shaft, and get bent out-of-shape as a direct consequence?

My concern with wrist-mounted weapons is the chance they'll get in the way with wielding a handheld weapon. In the thunder hammer wielder's case, suppose he wants to spin the hammer to build up momentum for a crushing blow, or to force an enemy knife wielder to back off. Will a wrist-mounted storm bolter's barrels get in the way of the spinning hammer shaft, and get bent out-of-shape as a direct consequence?

I'll just have to see how it looks, I hear what you're saying about the muzzle of the weapon extending over the hand would limit the movement, but also I see a hammer of that size not being easily wielded no matter how super human a SM is, I see it as just a massive smash hammer - I'm thinking back to my D&D days and the reduced Rate of Attack applied to double handed weapons.

I'm thinking back to my D&D days and the reduced Rate of Attack applied to double handed weapons.

Off topic but as a sword nerd this always annoyed me. Hammers sure, but the video game-y idea of slow two handed weapons....grrr

Yep totally agree on that, a sword is balaned at the hilt (generally), so much easier to swing, where as a Warhammer has no balance due to the weight of the head vs the shaft, so will always be difficult to return after the swing.

Started working on the dues from the Shadowspear box set, first up is the Rune Priest (Librarian). 

The sword is my first issue, not wolfie enough for me, so I set about removing it and using the axe head from Haldor and the handle from the SW Terminator Axe:

Rune Priest1 1

Needs a bit of filling with GS and should look ok.
Had to remove the power cable from the gauntlet as they got in the way of the longer handle, I might add some new power cables later but I figure the Axe head has it's own power plant, so maybe not.

This is how it looks attached to the body:

Rune Priest1 2

Next I removed all the Librarian symbols from the gauntlets, these will be replaced by Runes and also the backpack, not sure what will replace that, possibly just SW decal.

I don't plan to do too much conversion on this, so the right arm will stay stock and the head.  I have ordered a few different camo decals to try out on the cape as I know if I try and paint it, it will suck.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by sbarnby71

Added some more detail last night:

Rune Priest1 3

Removed the keys from his belt and added a wolf skull (and wolf tail, but it's not in this picture).
Then added a SW belt buckle to the front - had to trim the back of the buckle down and trim part of front of his robe to fit, just need to do some GS filling to rebuild the robe

I'm thinking of added a wolf talisman necklace in his right hand like we see on the Primaris Apothecary, so the talisman is giving his thoughts more power, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for looking. 
Edited by sbarnby71

Rebuilt the bits of the robe I had to hack off to make the belt buckle fit and added a braid of hair to his collection of bits and bobs on his belt, then started work on the necklace, drilled a hole through the hand and added picture wire:

Rune Priest1 4

Then chopped it down a bit more in length as it looked a bit too long and glued the join inside the hand:

Rune Priest1 5

I'm going to add the rune stone, teeth and wolf tails after I've painted the model as they will be fragile and I know I'm going to break them off.

Now to try and paint the camo on his cape, not looking forward to this part.

Edited by sbarnby71

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the first coats on the Rune Priest, I avoided my normal yellow knee-pad as this dude is meant to be stealthy:

Rune Priest1 6

And the camo decals I ordered from Japan finally turned up.  Ideally I wanted more standard camo (stripes), but couldn't find any for a decent price:

Rune Priest1 7

I'm hoping they work out.  They are Gundam decals and I've heard they can be very thick, so not sure how well they will work on so many folds in the cape, but I have the decal softener stuff.  Will keep you posted. 

GW are about to release these two and I think they would make amazing Wolf Priests with a bit of work:

Wolf Priests

1st one will be the most complex as he has a lot of cables or tentacles that need covering, so I'd duplicate the wolf pelt from left to right, not sure what is going on with the cabling on the warhammer, but that striding pose and hammer is a must have for me.  2nd one will be simple, swap head, backpack, right hand for a hand holding a pistol, then scrape some of the arrows from the armour trim but leave the exposed bones.
Edited by sbarnby71

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a few hours to work on my Wolf Priests and as the Executioner is way simpler to convert I started easy.

I had thought about trying to keep the left shoulder pad with some re-shaping but with the extra horus eye bits on the arm, I went with a Terminator sized Shoulder pad from Spellcrow:

Wolf Priest1 1

And added some fur around the waist, I didn't want to cover up too much of the cloak as I really like the course stitching going on.

Added a wolf skull to the chest and to be honest it does not need too much work as a lot of the chaos stuff is just bones and they fit in with the look I want.  I did start filling the tentacle/pipes bits.  For the head this is from the new line of PuppetsWar heads and the backpack is from Geigor Fell-Hand:

Wolf Priest1 4

Wolf Priest1 5

I don't want to use the hand holding the severed heads as this looks too Chaos for me.  I did try out some ideas of holding a Wolf Helm, like the Ulrik model, but I wanted something different so they stand out from each other.  My current preference is the Terminator Volkite Charger from the Burning of Prospero set, it has a baroque feel to it that ties in with his armour (I've not got a pic yet as I'm building an arm to hold it). My other preference is just a clenched fist.

On the head side of things I was optimistic when I saw some pics of the alternative head it comes with that has a leather mask, which would tie in with the 30K Wolves, but it has too many issues to try and put right (cables, weird teeth). :unsure.:

Edited by sbarnby71

Got the Horn from the old Chaos Warriors sex and removed the hand and used a scalpel to make it slightly misshaped so it looks more like wood.  This will be attached to his back with some straps:

Wolf Priest1 6

I wanted to make the axe he's carrying have a slight wolf feel to it so I'm going to use the wolf head from this TDA Thunder Hammer and trim it so it fits over the power generator on the axe.  Don't want  just clip off the power generator as I want to see how it looks (cause if it's crud then I'm stuck with it). 

Wolf Priest1 7

Spend ages cutting this and using a dremel to hollow it out to fit, then the battery died, so got to wait for that to charge overnight grrrrr.

I want the back story that this is a Chaos axe and this guys role is to weed out any Wolves who might turn in battle (Hersey I know, but we need someone to watch over us) and the blade seeks out those tainted by Chaos.

Carried on hollowing out the Wolf Head and finally had to give in and remove the generator bit from the axe as the Wolf Head was becoming unstable, but here it is fixed in place:

Wolf Priest1 8

Need to do some filling on it. 

Now to me it looks a little odd, not sure if it's just the difference in the colours of the plastic, but hope it blends better when it's painted up.
Edited by sbarnby71

Finished filling around the Wolf Head on the axe and building the right arm to hold the Volkite Charger (the right arm is not fixed yet as I want to get the basic paint job done before gluing it in final position) and added the Hunting Horn:

Wolf Priest1 9

Wolf Priest1 10

Wolf Priest1 11

Edited by sbarnby71

• 4 weeks later...

Made a start on my next model:

Suppressor1 1

The muzzle is made from a SW Chain Sword that took flippin' ages to cut down and remove the teeth from the under side of the mane.  Will post some pics of the re-worked body soon (not a fan of the flying pose).

Here's the update on the legs and body.  I didn't like the flying idea but wanted to keep the thicker lower leg armour, so removed the pedal bits and stuff then chopped off at the knees and added them to legs from a Hellblaster, bit of pinning and green stuff and the stance is not 100% but once he's based I think it will look fine.  Then added a pelt and Long Fang Skull:

Suppressor1 2

Had to hack the body apart too so the waist is from the Hellblaster too.  Added a bit of green stuff to get the twist in the body I wanted.  Removed the left shoulder pad to use an Aggressor one as it fits better with the heavy armour look I wanted.  The head is from the Death Watch kit - I like the standard SM heads on Primaris as it makes their armour look massive like it does in the old art work of SMs:

Suppressor1 3

Suppressor1 4

Suppressor1 5

Once the green stuff has set I can rebuild the waist but may add a pelt at the back as a cover up.  Where I chopped off the flying pedal bits I'm going to add pistons (well just rods) to make it look like his rammed pistons into the ground to give him more stability when firing at full rate.

Want this guy as the squad leader so he will have more bling.  I'm tempted to shorten the barrels on the other 2 and keep him as more of a long range shooter and the other two as close range support.

Thanks for looking.