Barners SW Primaris Progress

sbarnby71

Added a few more details to the Suppressor, small pelt on the right shoulder:

Suppressor1 6

And then a full wolf pelt around the waist (I'll glue this in place once I've painted up the legs):

Suppressor1 7

Suppressor1 8

I wanted to add a Servo Targeting Skull from the old Devastators Boxset, but the angle of the cables was not right, so I clipped them off and added some plugs and cables I got from  zinge.co.uk the cable is flexible so I can get the angle and position I want:

Suppressor1 9

But the more I look at it I think I should make something out of a Wolf Skull instead.

You have plenty of great wolf iconography on that guy I personally wouldn’t be bothered by the classic skull. That said, a wolf servo skull is a cool novel idea IMO. Edited by PeteySödes

You have plenty of great wolf iconography on that guy I personally wouldn’t be bothered by the classic skull. That said, a wolf servo skull is a cool novel idea IMO.

Thanks man.  I think I want to attempt one and well if it don't work out, no great loss.

Edited by sbarnby71

Created a new targeting servo based on the Long Fangs backpack icon.  The eye lens was made from the top of a bullet from Anvil and then I used 2 clipped down shells to make the extra sensors hanging down, then the main connecting coil is from Zinge:

Suppressor1 8

Still going to try a Wolf Skull version, but I've got to wait for some small ball bearings to arrive to make the eye lens.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought that Master of Executions model when it was released but have done nothing with it so far

What you have done with it looks amazing, I wouldn't have even thought to use that model as a wolf, but it looks better as a wolf than as a chaos HQ!

I bought that Master of Executions model when it was released but have done nothing with it so far

What you have done with it looks amazing, I wouldn't have even thought to use that model as a wolf, but it looks better as a wolf than as a chaos HQ!

Thanks brother, as soon as i saw the bones on the shoulder pad I knew he had to be a Wolf Priest. :-)

I redid the cloak on my Rune Priest using the new Contrast Paints, this is Apothecary White over a Grey Seer base. Took me a few attempts to get the process right but I like this for cloaks:

Rune Priest1 9

I think I'm going to ditch the camo decals idea on this one as I like the cloak as it, but think I will use them on the Eliminators.

So final touches are to add the thingy-bobs to the talisman necklace he is holding and also add the small wolf skull to necklace he is wearing:

Rune Priest1 10

Will get that painted up tonight and hopefully the decals on the shoulder and knee pads.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by sbarnby71

Necklace finished and decals applied.  I cut down a SW left shoulder decal and applied it, I think I should have cut it back a bit more, but I think it looks ok:

Rune Priest1 11

Rune Priest1 12

Rune Priest1 13

Rune Priest1 14

Need to remove the shine from the kneepad decals as they look way too shiny.
Edited by sbarnby71

Wow that guy...has a lot going on.

It's a sweet looking mini for sure, the detail is crazy.  They have 2 other Blood Angel Smash Captains but too many wings going on.  That said one of them has an amazing Thor like helmet that has the mouth and chin exposed... I'm tempted.

Started on my next project, Warlord on Warbeast:

Warlord1 2

Warlord1 1

This is a warbeast from Atlantis Miniatures' Dwarf Range that I backed on kickstarter last year.  You can see the cut-down pelvis from a set of TDA legs pinned in the saddle. Once that has set in place I can start trying to get the legs at the right angle.

My idea behind this project was "a lost brother"... He is the last surviving member of a pack that fought on a remote world, his transport was destroyed and all off world comms were also.  Remnants of the Traitor Force his pack were sent to destroy still roam this world, they too are stranded due to equipment malfunctions and attrition. He found and bested this Warbeast and now seeks out any pockets of Traitors, picking their armour clean for any useful equipment that is not tainted as he continues his oath to cleanse this world and awaits his brothers rescue.

With that in mind I want him to have a selection of weapons attached to the Warbeast and have him armed with a hunting lance or harpoon and battered old shield as ammunition is scarce so basic unpowered weapons are his first choice.

I started this process by cutting down a stormbolter and then adding a new handle (had a lot of trouble finding a handle that would be the right size as most GW weapons with handles not in a hand come from Bolt guns and Bolt Pistols), this came from a Spellcrow Wolf Plasma weapon:

Warlord1 3

Thanks for looking.

Added some tread to the bottom of the feet of the TDA:

Warlord1 4

Legs are now back in place and using a TDA body from the SW kit, I used arms from the Dark Angels kit and a Wulfen shield (the SW TDA shields are too small for me):

Warlord1 5

The spear haft is made with copper tube wrapped in a wire sleeve, which is glue at both ends and then jammed into the hollow of the copper tube at each end (took me ages to get a decent finish doing this, but I like it).  No hand holding the spear yet, I'm a bit stuck on TDA hands that will work, but might find something in the old Dark Angels TDA kit:

Warlord1 6

Here's how the haft was made:

Axe 1

Now I'm not sure on the length of the haft, I originally made it Primaris sized which works on a standing figure, but I feel it's a bit short for this.  I like the idea of it resting on the edge of his foot, makes it look more natural and looks more historically accurate when you see cavalry carrying lances over long periods of time.  Still need to make the blade of the spear, I'm leaning towards making it like a big icicle and will make it out of a cut down sprue.

Decided on these shoulder pads from Pop Goes the Monkey:

Warlord1 7

Thanks for looking.

Edited by sbarnby71

Found a suitable hand for holding the spear, and then I thought as I was not totally happy with the length I'd keep the grip and make a new spear:

Warlord1 8

I was playing around with some head ideas and tried one of the new sized Cossack heads from Puppets War and I like the snarl on his face and that made me re-think the pose, from just walking slowly on patrol, so more of an aggressive fight pose.  So I switched the grip on the spear so he is about to throw it, slight twist in the hips and lean the head slightly:

Warlord1 9

Warlord1 10

Warlord1 11

Warlord1 12

I've also battle damaged his shield.

Still need to make the blade of the spear, I'm leaning towards the idea of a harpoon style head and a chain on the other end of it so he harpoons his foes and then drags them in for a close kill.

This is starting to make me want to unbox my Thunder Wolves set and build them with TDA and harpoons as another project. 

Edited by sbarnby71

Managed to get some more done, so here is the idea of the chain:

Warlord1 13

Warlord1 14

Not sure if the chain should go round his back (it looks more dramatic because of how the chain is hanging) and into his left hand or round the front, but will decide that when I get the pose finished.  I've not cut the chain to length yet, but it will be looped in his left hand behind the shield when it's done.

Looked at some ideas for the spear head and the one I'm liking is this Dark Eldar one (without the skulls):

Warlord1 15

I think this works with the chain as you want something that will hook the victim, so they can be pulled with the chain.

Next I wanted to add more weapons, so had the idea of using this arrow quiver from the Stonehorn set:

Warlord1 16

Cut the arrows off and it will be on his back and will hold 2 or 3 shorter spears:

Warlord1 17

Not sure if someone in TDA could reach over their shoulder and grab them, so the position might move or I might just play loose with the dynamics of TDA.

Edited by sbarnby71