Khorne Warband of Wrath

RobWrath

So thanks to coronavirus I've been ticking away at my painting projects and gradually filling in the remaining colours on my big guy.

This is where we are right now.

20200318 140203

So I have the lava on the base to finish off, plus painting the metallics then adding lots of shading to make the armour look...used and heavy (rather than chipped and dirty).

I'm still undecided as to whether to keep the wings basic black or try something more ambitious. I'll probably try out my ambitious plan but may end up back to black!

• 1 month later...

I've nibbled away at the Bloodthirster, currently on hold as my Ushabti Bone dried up and I can't currently get any more.

So, I started a job I've been meaning to do on my terminator warlord.

20200425 144731

Look closely, his breastblate is actually an ogre shoulder pad, so one side has an eye and the other has a cutaway where the arm/shoulder/neck should go.
Thought I'd try to fill it in and match it up with the other side.

20200425 145401

First blanked out the area with GS.

20200425 150202

Then sculpted on an 'eyebrow'. There's a small spot to fill just below his chin, but once I've tidied that up I'm ready to undercoat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, next painting project is Morgar'al the Damned himself.

I think I've previously posted bits of the conversion process, but now I've fixed him all down, and started painting.

Here's how he looks so far -

Morgpaint2

So that's all the colours blocked out and the first stages of washes applied.

I think some more are required to darken the silver metal down, darken and make the armour richer and to add a tarnished effect to the bronze.

I really want his armour to look used, baroque and ancient (my headcannon fluff is that this guy has been around since the Horus Heresy and fought on Terra). 

Morgar'al looks great!

Thanks a lot!

He's a long way off finished - I want to spend a lot of time adding layers of shade and then highlights so there's a lot of depth and a big contrast between the darkest areas and the brightest highlights.

Maybe some battle damage too although I'm not sure about that yet.

Ok, so now we have the big reveal! Hope it's not a disappointment.

Morgar'ak the Damned, Warlord of Wrath, chosen of Khorne, survivor of the Long War

image0

image0 (1)

image0 (2)

image0 (3)

image0 (4)

My next project is to speed paint my son's (small) Tau army, but after that I'll be back on this project and hopefully making my big pile of grey plastic Khornate shame a bit smaller!

Opinions needed please - I'm converting a Khornate Daemon Prince to go with my warband, using some odds and ends from the Bloodthirster kit.

I'm overall happy with the look, but for the right hand I've used the talons from the GW Daemon Prince kit. The fingers/claws of this are ludicrously long. If he was standing normally they would be dragging on the ground.

So, what do people think: do I stick with this look or should I try trimming them down and/or replacing them with something more sensibly sized (I'm thinking Lightning Claws or similar).

Prince1

• 1 month later...

Another mini update- I've converted a Dark Apostle for an experiment I undercoated white. I nearly always paint over black so I thought I'd just give it a go.

Anyway, I didn't like it so I put the DA on a shelf for a bit, but I'm just getting back to it, and I've blocked out the main colours now and shaded it down so it I'm happy with how it looks as s start.

DarkApostle1

The skin is currently Contrast - my Kislev Flesh dried up and I'm still waiting for my delivery from GW so I can't work on that, but I've done all the other colours now.