Too Much Ice. More Activity Needed! Rekindle the Flames!

Karack Blackstone

I was concerned about making this thread.

I'm not concerned at all anymore.

Glad to see the ice being warmed by the various hearths and hobby flames of activity once again.

I am currently trying to figure out how to Wolf up some Primaris.

Does anyone know how to best approach this issue past shoulderpads? Helmets?

There's not very many options, despite the Intercessor box being pretty decent for the most part.

Posing is a very serious issue, as usual. Rather sad, that problem.

And, that Warmachine model turned into a custom TDA could prove absolutely disturbing in a great way.

I'd wonder about getting some Cataphractii TDA shoulderpads for the Wolves or just the bit in general from the plastic kit, and giving him the tassel armor straps on each pad.

As it is, that's a very fun looking conversion pair!

Are you considering combining the two projects, or is that not quite what you intend?

My single biggest problem right now is time management.

One major modeling question: what is the most effective way to take a SW/SM PA helmet head and turn it into a worn helmet? The mounting peg that keeps the head in the torso is easy enough to clip off, I would think. How do I make sure it's a worthwhile mounting point and where do I put it, as I do like the idea of bare heads, just, if I have enough PA SW / SM heads, a helmet at least on the model will certainly help immensely...

On primaris, the hanging armour plates just below the belts seem the way to go for me. GW models (ETB) agree.

I'm doing pretty well trying to test out where to place the helmets.

The hard part about Primaris is figuring out how to best theorize a unit of light fire support, at least until I get the chance to test a pack out on the table.

With Fenris population still regrowing from the devastation of Magnus, your great company has welcomed the Primaris. Their improved weapon allow for distant engagements softening the enemy before you clash. This decreases casualties of Marines, and relieving the recruitment demand on Fenris. Your Jarl has decreed that these new Primaris will continue with their current combat style and later will be given true weapons of the Aett when he feels they have proved themselves.

If you want to PM me your current company story I am sure we can come up with something.

Glad to see the ice being warmed by the various hearths and hobby flames of activity once again.

There's not very many options, despite the Intercessor box being pretty decent for the most part.

And, that Warmachine model turned into a custom TDA could prove absolutely disturbing in a great way.

I'd wonder about getting some Cataphractii TDA shoulderpads for the Wolves or just the bit in general from the plastic kit, and giving him the tassel armor straps on each pad.

Are you considering combining the two projects, or is that not quite what you intend?

Yeah I think the Warmachine model will be a real beast, it's already head and shoulders bigger than current TDA, but once the legs are adjusted he will stand even taller.

I've just completed a project that used kinda Cataphractii armour and I went for furs under the pads instead of the tassel armour starps.

The projects will be seperate, I'd really like to make the War Beast into a diorama as I've never done one before, maybe have a few other hulking TDA clad wolves just chilling.

Thanks Karrak. I'm having trouble posting my pictures though, it keeps saying i'm not authorized to post, except for the small thumbnail size picture.

Just a quick question, do you think the new Stormcast Eternals -Head Upgrade Set 1, from FW, would fit us, both model wise and the style? Some heads might be a bit off. I have no idea about any AOS stuff so I don't know if they would fit well with power armour are the necks to high, or are the heads to big or to small?

99550218001_SCEHeadUpgradesOne01.jpg

Cpt.Danjou

*Poke.* *Poke.* *Poke.*

*Stir.* *Stir.* *Stir.*

I finally remembered a box of my SW's bits to help me build my Intercessors. I can get more build work done soon enough.

I did make a model that's a Space Wolf Space Marine with a female head. I will see about getting a picture somehow up here. I ended up putting the Ragnar's Space Wolves Upgrade Sprue helmet wolf head on her.

Two things:

1 - Female Marines are my choice. Please leave the debate out of this thread. Please critique the model outside of the head. It is an Intercessor model, so there's little chance at posing

2 - The bits involved are a bit... bland. I didn't have my SW PA box with me to put a decent Wolf shoulder pad on the model for either shoulder. The only SW bit is the already mentioned helmet.

I will try to get a decent picture and post it some time tonight or tomorrow, if able.

I have a tournament coming up at the end of the month, and my army is already painted. Thinking I might want to make the army a brigade by dropping a character, some terminators and adding a couple whirlwinds, a pack of wolves and a couple of cheap elites (probably scouts). Not sure if it's worth it though. Also, as I don't know if I want to paint a bunch more stuff lol

Depends on the points. At 1500-1750 I feel that the CPs from a dual-battalion are ample. My experiences so far suggest that Wolves are not so CP-hungry as some other forces like BAs. Many of our most useful strats (outflanking, Wolf's eye, Keen senses) are only 1CP and will go quite along way with care.

Sure against a shooty army you may wish to pop Cloaked by the Storm but overall my wolves seem to do just fine with dual battalion.

That's what I'm running now. I do love the idea of having whirlwinds, but after painting the whole army, I'm kinda done painting blue-grey marines for a while! Ha ha.

I can always expand later on. Probably, I'd be better off focusing on primaris if I expand further at this point.

Can someone confirm? I was talking to a friendly SW player at my local shop and he said he can take Centurions in a pure SW list. Are we allowed to take those units? I thought we could not according to codex and battlescribe.

Can someone confirm? I was talking to a friendly SW player at my local shop and he said he can take Centurions in a pure SW list. Are we allowed to take those units? I thought we could not according to codex and battlescribe.

They are not eligible. They are not in the list of Adepuis Astartes units we share in the index, and they are not in the codex. So I see not how we can get centurions in a mono SW list, he must have got some bad info.

Cpt. Danjou

Since they share the <Adeptus Astartes> faction keyword, he could put some non-SW Centurions in a Detachment and it would still be Battle Forged.

HOWEVER, he would lose the benefit of the Chapter Trait if he does so. Not worth it IMHO. Better to run the Centurions in an allied detachment, even if he has to pay 1CP for the privilege.

What does he want them for? They rocked pretty well in 7th edition but have been toned down quite a bit in 8th.

Since they share the <Adeptus Astartes> faction keyword, he could put some non-SW Centurions in a Detachment and it would still be Battle Forged.

HOWEVER, he would lose the benefit of the Chapter Trait if he does so. Not worth it IMHO. Better to run the Centurions in an allied detachment, even if he has to pay 1CP for the privilege.

What does he want them for? They rocked pretty well in 7th edition but have been toned down quite a bit in 8th.

They decreased the cost in CA18 and the bolter beta rules makes them far more effective.

I'll have to let him know he can't paint them up and run them as pure SW.

Hm.

So I plan to get to building some of my Primaris SW's soon, hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

What ways, besides heads and shoulderpads, are there to customize such pose-stuck models?

The limitations are becoming jarring, to me...

Edit:

I think I'll need to go through my left over SW's bits from other builds, find some Wolf Tail Talismans, debate if it's worth some sort of belt kit, or other random spare bits to liven up the model. I do like the helmet when the head is bare approach. I might find some grenades, some pouches, maybe some Wolf bits, a random Wolf Skull here or there...

Sigh... where's the Viking side of our bits range?

There might be some money there, if any GW or third party bits site wants to see about some Viking-wolf hybrid bits, or just pure Viking stuff, maybe with some subtle and hidden Wolf tidbits thrown into fine details? Oh well, just typing and thinking at the same time...

Hm.

So I plan to get to building some of my Primaris SW's soon, hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

What ways, besides heads and shoulderpads, are there to customize such pose-stuck models?

The limitations are becoming jarring, to me...

Edit:

I think I'll need to go through my left over SW's bits from other builds, find some Wolf Tail Talismans, debate if it's worth some sort of belt kit, or other random spare bits to liven up the model. I do like the helmet when the head is bare approach. I might find some grenades, some pouches, maybe some Wolf bits, a random Wolf Skull here or there...

Sigh... where's the Viking side of our bits range?

There might be some money there, if any GW or third party bits site wants to see about some Viking-wolf hybrid bits, or just pure Viking stuff, maybe with some subtle and hidden Wolf tidbits thrown into fine details? Oh well, just typing and thinking at the same time...

Check out Spellcrow for viking style bits (shoulder pads, furs, pets and frost wepaons), there range has always been a bit bigger than standard SM and work well with Primaris sized.

Archived