I actually did this yesterday in a fun, casual battle against necrons. I took a brigade of marines which I made a victrix guard.

The unit of vanguard I had did a lot of damage on the charge, but died the next turn to return fire. It did however take a lot of firepower to remove them from cover due to some very lucky stormshield rolls.

The chapter master did some serious work with his thunder hammer and buffs from might of heroes, the victrix banner en the imperium's sword warlord trait.

I then popped fight like demigods on him for 7 strength 10 attacks, hitting on 2's rerolling 1's. He was no slouch let me tell you that.

next time I'll an inquisitor for the no overwatch spell for added fun.

The rest of my list were cheap units that didn't do whole lot except snatch me some objectives and help clear warriors.

We played the CA maelstrom where you pick two cards and your opponent gets to pick which of the two you have to get.

Boy, this mission is fun! It's so hard to get maelstrom points! I was very lucky on some D3 rolls for the cards, for which I had to sacrifice a lot, but in the end it payed off and I snagged the win.

I quite like that mission in theory though haven't played my first game of Chapter Approved yet.

Nice write up. Seems like the changes to Vanguard were perfect since those Storm Shields made a difference at dirt cheap cost. The Captain smashing everything is how I anticipated.

How did you find using the Banner to gain the extra attack? Getting him to keep up with Jump Pack troops seems a challenge.

It is very hard to keep the banner close.

I had the fortune of a deployment with only 18 inches apart and LOS blocking terrain in between.

I embarked him on a rhino and immediately disembarked and advanced the first turn.

Haf a lucky 5 on the advance so I managed to slingshot him 14 inches up the board. Then I failed the first charge of the vanguard, and the banner was able to keep up from turn two onwards. He was exposed after that, but my opponent didn’t chase him after the vanguard died.

As a force multiplier the Banner is amazing but getting him to keep up with Jump Pack troops is going to be tough. I'd like to try it.

I miss the days of my super Honour Guard squad eating entire armies. If GW just heard my plea and produced expanded Honour Guard rules, we'd be onto a winner here as they can be Rhino bound with decent support from the Banner.

I had a game the other day with the Victrix and it was an uphill battle for me. I found getting all my units in the right place to be difficult. that said the banner did keep up with my foot slogging vanguard. storm raven was shot down early but not before I managed to move up the board. took one causality to the crash and three against overwatch.  the last 6 managed to cut down the majority of nose marines. Cato chewed through the rest. next turn the vanguard screened the characters against a near by hell brute and Prince. Over charging plasma pistol dropped the Prince and charge was made to the hell brute, Cato and ancient fell short. With the characters out of range the vanguard was cut down. the next turn I throw Cato and my company ancient against it. Cato killed the hell brute outright with normal D3 damage and 3xD3 moral wound. thanks to feild commander and warden of ultramar. Turn 3 i would drop pod assault my sterguard in. this fight happened in my enemy deployment zone. the game was decapitation with front line assault deployment

as for chapter master in a victrix. If you have three turns of fight like demi gods why not just chapter master? at least re-rolls is avalible for shooting with both vanguard and sterguard.

Edited by jonjacob

Seems like Jump Packs are essential, particularly for the Captain who is critical for the Strategums and his Warlord Trait to work.

Been thinking that an Ancient on foot can also benefit from Veil of Time to reroll his advance roll. That could be a method of getting him up the table alongside his brothers.

Nice, good to see people's experiences. If you want to help against overwatch, Reivers have a grenade that not only stops an enemy from overwatching, but also gives them -1 to hit on your fight phase. If you get a unit of 10 (or two units of 5, but that will give the enemy more killpoints), you can throw a grenade and, so long as you hit it, your enemy gets the debuffs applied to them for your turn.

I was thinking of running an army that was a soup of Imperial Guard + Victrix Guard. The IG would be pretty standard (infantry + artillery to hold objectives). The victrix guard would be vanguard + captain + standard bearer in a landraider or drop pod or something. I haven't worked out the details yet, but I want to keep the guys foot slogging and let a vehicle take care of movement.

Nice, good to see people's experiences. If you want to help against overwatch, Reivers have a grenade that not only stops an enemy from overwatching, but also gives them -1 to hit on your fight phase. If you get a unit of 10 (or two units of 5, but that will give the enemy more killpoints), you can throw a grenade and, so long as you hit it, your enemy gets the debuffs applied to them for your turn.

I ate 30 shots of sonic blasters with a doom siren to top it off,  casualties where to be expected. Though the banner did help me throw a few overcharged shots.

And I'm not on the primaris bandwagon yet but the advice is duly noted.

I am really looking forward to the next game. 

So what do folks think is a good mix of weapons for the vangaurd vets? 

I'll be most likely playing a game this Sunday and wanted to try the Victrix Gaurd. I figure I'll be playing 2 10 man units with jump packs.

I was thinking something like:

Sgt w/ lightning claws, and the bulk with two chain swords, but most likely 3-4 with better weapons and adding storm shields where I can.

Modeled, I have a couple more lightning claws, a thunder hammer/SS, a couple power swords/SS, power axe/SS, and power fist/chain sword.

I know it would be better to have storm shields be on the cheaper guys, most likely with chain swords. 

I have about 5-6 more vanguard models waiting for weapons.

Are pistols of any type worth taking? I figure the guys with better weapons could use them, or just take a chain sword for an extra attack.

Points are generally a premium for me but I can see the virtue of taking a few plasma pistols in units of Vanguard.

I have a horde killer unit that has 4 dual Lightning Claws, 3 Storm Shields and Chainswords and 3 Dual Chainswords. To be honest this unit was built prior to the Victrix Guard Detachment but it fits into my army since it doesn't cry out for the rerolls from Warden of Ultramar as much and with Scions of Guilliman the unit can operate further away from the Jump Pack Warden.

The main killer unit I'm planning to use will have 5 models with power fists and 5 with Storm Shields and Chainswords. Haven't built the unit yet but I anticipate they'll be quite killer.

On that note, how do other people here think the wargear of the unit should be built? This unit needs the Captain for Fight Like Demigods though or else it's only average in damage output.

I was thinking of making them have the different roles, one anti-infantry and one anti-big gribbly.

So like 3 with lightning claws, some with SS, rest with dual chain swords. The other with thunder hammers/power fists with the same set up for the rest. We'll see how they work. Most likely facing two friends with 1000pts of Orks and Druhkari each.

Solid choice.

Since I'm not investing in the Ancient with Standard of Maccragge Inviolate, I'm free with a Relic option so I've given my Captain the Soldier's Blade.

Mostly the same sort of weapon that is better at cutting through armour and more consistent in damage but Again at T5 and 6 it wounds worse than a Relic Blade.

So really just a matter of situational performance comparison, but 5pts cheaper than a Relic Blade.

I am tempted to give the Captain a Thunder Hammer but damn that's just expensive.

Combi-melta and relic blade on the jump captain. Since I'll be facing most likely Orks and Druhkari I figure he'll do fine with the relic blade, wounding the elves on 2+ and ignoring the Orks armor.  I'm taking the Banner of the Emperor Ascendant with the Ancient. 

Here's my list:

Vanguard Detachment

Victrix Guard 

Captain - Jump Pack, Soldier's Blade (power sword) and Plasma Pistol

Vanguard squad

Sergeant - Power Fist and Bolt Pistol 

×4 power fists and Bolt pistols 

×5 Storm Shields and Chainswords

Jump Packs

Vanguard squad

Sergeant - Dual Lightning Claws 

×3 Dual Lightning Claws 

×3 Dual Chainswords

×3 Storm Shields and Chainswords

Jump Packs

8 Sternguard - Lightning Claw on the Sergeant

Rhino

Battalion

Librarian - Force Staff and Bolt Pistol 

Techmarine - Chainsword and bolter

5 Tactical Marines - Plasma gun and Combi plasma 

5 Tactical Marines - Plasma gun and Combi plasma

5 Tactical Marines - Plasma and Combi plasma

6 Devastators - 2 Missile Launchers and 2 Heavy Bolters

Vanguard Detachment

Lieutenant - Mastercrafted Bolter and Chainsword 

Contemptor - Kheres assault cannon

Dreadnought - twin linked Lascannon and missile Launcher 

Dreadnought - twin linked Lascannon and missile Launcher

(Note I'm able to swap stuff around and add Tigurius etc)

The first part is the Victrix Guard element. I'm not 100% but I think the power fists Vanguard looks powerful and should cause a stir. The other squad is there to make a splash against infantry.

I find that the Plasma Pistol is so cheap now it'll be rude not to take advantage of it on the Captain. It's essentially an extra attack a turn.

Now, the Soldier's Blade is good but it is so tempting to take the Ancient with Standard of Maccragge Inviolate (thus he'd end up with the Relic Blade).

Im liking those fists the more i see them in vanguard build. The other elements of the list is good too, a nice firebase of armour and devastators with a Lieutenant to boot with no need for baby sitting captains. devastators for maximum stratagem use. 

Is this something your planning to go back to tournemenrs with? this has given me some inspiration to say the least.

Since my last game I'm trying with a more humble approach. Victrix mechanized with demi company support, assault and tactical marines holding the ground the Victrix makes. No gonna lauch up the board with a storm raven.

looking to plug a hole in the razorback transport though. Need some flack to take damage if it is destroyed. 

2000 pts

vanguard

Cato

Company ancient with powers sword. standard of Mccrage involet field commander

sterguard 10 man
sergant with power sword

vanguard 10 man
plasma pistol and power sword x10

Rhino x2
Razor back with twin heavy bolter

Battalion

Tigurius

veil of time

might of hero's

Lieutenant

bolter and power fist

Tactical squad 10 man x3
power sword. combi plasma; plasmagun; heavy bolter.

assault squad 10 man
3x plasma pistol and power sword

devastators squad 10 man
4x lascannons

3 drop pods.