LVO prep *Custodes*

@Prot How did you manage to get off the Vexilla Teleport Homer? Did you walk your Vexilla up the board or did you have some kind of trick to get good positioning on your opponent's backline? Curious to hear anyone's experiences with that stratagem, our deep striking units need all the help they can get to reliably get their charges off.

Great progress Shane. For someone who dislikes painting you've got a lot of great work done there.

I think I'm most curious after your week at LVO to hear if you would strongly commit to 'pure' Custodes in the future, or go back to the Astra Battalion.

@Prot How did you manage to get off the Vexilla Teleport Homer? Did you walk your Vexilla up the board or did you have some kind of trick to get good positioning on your opponent's backline? Curious to hear anyone's experiences with that stratagem, our deep striking units need all the help they can get to reliably get their charges off.

All I do is advance him every turn behind some Guardians. It's super simple, but it almost always gets him into a position where I can leverage the Allarus. I'm usually in a situation where we have decent terrain.

I see, do you usually find yourself in good position and using the Vexilla Teleport Homer by turn 2? It seems like on average, you're getting 12" + 2D6" distance by the end of turn 2, plus the 6" from the teleport homer giving you 18" + 2D6" total and for it to be worth it, it should give you at least an 8" charge. Just trying to gauge how reliable it is and how viable it is to try and shoot for it consistently.

Got my knights buddy to play me in a prep game this past weekend, I still lost haha, but learned quite a bit from trying some varied ideas.

He was running: Castellan, Crusader, Gallant, Roboute, AM Battalion

I messed around with some different secondary options (like behind enemy lines,) although it mostly failed me haha. The big strategy change I made was putting both bike units in reserve. I also bought a second relic (auric shackles), to see how -1A on the gallant would pan out (reduces the number of stomps to 12.)

My Secondaries were - behind enemy lines, kingslayer (gallant), recon. His secondaries were - mark (bikes + caps), recon, ground control

We played mission 1, frontline assault deployment. I deployed all the custodian guard out of LoS (one on each side by an objective, one in the center,) the vexilla behind the middle guard squad, and both captains behind the vexilla. He centrally deployed the knights and roboute, his infantry squads on the side objectives in his deployment. He wins the roll off to determine first turn and chooses to go second (sadly for me.)

My turn 1 - I move zero models in anticipation of a Gallant coming crashing in, and I am still outta LoS from the shooty knights.

Hold 1

His turn 1 - The infantry squads zerg forward conga line style to hold the side objectives in his deployment as well as the 2 center objectives (with move move move in the shooting phase,) the gallant advances towards my middle guard squad, the castellan moves back towards his corner, crusader shuffles. He pops the strat to advance and charge with the gallant and charges my center guard squad, He kills a guardian spear, and does 2 wounds to another, the guard deal 2 wounds to the gallant.

Hold 1, Hold more

End of turn 1 - 1-2

My turn 2 - Vexilla shuffles out from behind the guard squad around to the side of the gallant, captains swing out close to gallant, guard squads shuffle. I choose to bring in a bike squad this turn, pop the vexillia homer strat and put the bikes around the gallant. My shooting phase annihilates his center guard squad, deals a couple wounds to another. I charge the engaged gallant with the bike squad and encircle it. I kill the gallant on impact (mixed feelings on this haha,) and it explodes. He rolls a 12" explosion radius, hitting everything of mine on the table except for the 2 side guard units, dealing a total of 20 mortal wounds.

Hold 1, Kill 1, Kingslayer 4

His turn 2 - He moves the infantry squads up, roboute and the crusader shuffle closer to the middle, the castellan shuffles to get LoS on the bikes. His shooting phase takes the bikes down to 2 remaining (one with 3 wounds taken.)

Hold 1, Hold more, Recon (I get kill more)

End of turn 2 - 8-4

My turn 3 - I advance the vexilla into one of the center pieces of terrain, the 2 bikes move out of LoS near the vexilla and nearest infantry squad, one cap moves with, guard squads shuffle to shoot/charge infantry, other cap moves into center of the table in prep for the 2nd bike squad drop (I pre measured where to drop them 9" away from Roboute.)  Bike squad drops in around center cap. My shooting deals 2 wounds to roboute, 2 wounds to the crusader, kills the infantry squad closest to the vexilla, custodian guard kills a few from squad nearest them. 2 man guardian squad charges remains of infantry squad and kills them all, bike squad succeeds in charging Roboute and kills him before he can swing. (I probably should have gone after the crusader here instead haha.) (Bike squad is now in position to score behind enemy lines, still in vexilla aura.) Roboute stands up with 5 wounds.

Hold 1, Kill 1, Recon

His turn 3 - He moves the knights close to the invading bike squad, company commanders are holding his backfield objectives. His shooting combined with charges eliminates the full bike squad., roboute charges and kills bike cap.

Hold 1, Kill 1, Mark 2 (I score hold more)

End of turn 3 - 12-8

My turn 4 - The custodian guard squad nearest to the vexilla moves onto the center objective closest, 2 bikes and cap move close to roboute. Shooting deals some wounds to the crusader. I charge roboute from out of LoS with the guard squad, bikes and cap charge roboute, roboute dies to bikes.

Hold 1, Kill 1, Recon

His turn 4 - The castellan moves into melta range, crusader shuffles forward. His shooting/charge kills the remaining bikes and the center guard squad. During combat I deal some wounds to the crusader.

Hold 1, Kill 1, Mark 1, Kill more, (I score hold more)

End of turn 4 - 16-12

My turn 5 - 2 remaining guard move towards crusader (in middle of table by an objective), captain moves close to crusader. Vexilla shuffles on objective. My shooting deals a couple wounds to the crusader. One guard squad charges the crusader from out of LoS, cap charges crusader, both combined take the crusader down to 5 wounds. Crusader fails to deal any damage in return.

Hold 1, Recon

His turn 5 - The crusader backs out, castellan moves up. Castellan vapes the vexilla and a guard squad, Crusader deals a kills a spear from the last custodian guard squad. Castellan charges the cap, fails to deal damage, I deal a couple wounds in return.

Hold 1, Kill 1, Kill more

End of turn 5 - 18-15

My turn 6 - Cap leaves combat, moves close to company commander on his backfield objective, last guardians move close to crusader but out of LoS. Cap kills company commander with shooting. Guard charge the crusader and fail to do any wounds, the crusader wiffs as well.

Kill 1, Hold 1

His turn 6 - Crusader leaves combat and heads towards an objective, castellan moves closer to cap. His shooting kills my cap, which allows the crusader to now hold that objective.

Kill 1, Hold 1, Mark 1, Hold more, Ground control 2

End of turn 6 - 20-21

Was a really close game, and I learned quite a bit. I certainly found deepstriking the bikes to be super helpful going into a true knight match up, and found that if I am not deepstriking custodian guard into the enemy deployment that behind enemy lines is a mistake (0 points scored on it.) I am not super fond of it anyway haha. I am not sure if the auric shackles panned out for 1cp, but it worked in 3 separate combats (gallant, roboute x2,) and more than likely kept the custodian guard alive turn 1 vs the gallant.

Took a peak at some lists on the BCP app last night. Number 3 Custodes player is showing up as well with:

Custodes Battalion (Majority points detachment)

3 shield caps on bike

3 custodian guard units

Blood Angels Battalion

2 slam caps

3 scout squads

Super Heavy Aux

Castellan

I wonder how well he handles a horde list like Orks?

Took a peak at some lists on the BCP app last night. Number 3 Custodes player is showing up as well with:

3 shield caps on bike

3 custodian guard units

Blood Angels Battalion

2 slam caps

3 scout squads

Super Heavy Aux

Castellan

With that list? Poorly. Not to sound too haughty, but I struggle to see him not bouncing off of horde orks.

Great report. I can't help but thinking that the gallant blowing up in your backfield played a huge part in your demise. Did he use the strategem to help him blow up or was it just dumb luck on his part?

Nice quick battle report Shane.

As mentioned those vehicles exploding are truly a wildcard for Custodes... I don't think I have any army that had literally had the outcome of games changed by large explosions as much as my Custodes. It can definitely be game breaking. 20 mortal wounds though, that's horrific.

3 shield caps on bike

3 custodian guard units

Blood Angels Battalion

2 slam caps

3 scout squads

Super Heavy Aux

Castellan

So here's a thought. I know someone that plays a similar list and the list above seems to be geared for Knights. It could do okay against hordes with a bit of luck but frankly the Castellan and the Blood Angels are very good at popping Knights... it just seems like overlap to me.

This might be because I'm more familiar with Deathwatch but I would rather put my Deathwatch vanilla Battalion in that list instead of BA. I dunno, maybe that's just me.

I really don't like Knights tbh... well played !

Do you mean you don't like playing them? Or don't like playing against them?

Hi Prot - I don't like playing against and as such I would never use them... they are super EZ mode  imo.

To late now but Mephiston is a beast - there is no need for two slam cpts .

"Blood Angels Battalion

2 slam caps

3 scout squads"

Looking to test out another variant of my Footstodes list. This time with the Assassins being replaced by a Supreme Command Detachment - Adeptus Astartes, psykers.

Battalion: Adeptus Custodes +5CP (1,711pts)

Trajann, Shield Captain on Jetbike, 3 x 3 Custodian Guard (Spear x2, Sword x1), 4 x Allarus Terminators (Axe, Misericordia), 7 x Wardens (Axe, Misericordia)

Supreme Command Detachment: Adeptus Astartes +1CP (289pts)

Dark Angels Primaris Librarian: power options; Aversion, Mind Worm, Trephination

Space Wolves Primaris Rune Priest: power options; Tempest Wrath, Murderous Hurricane, Jaws of the World Wolf

Grey Knights Castellan Crowe: power options; 3" Super Smite (D6 MW), Gate of Infinity, Purge Soul, Sanctuary, Vortex of Doom

Total Pts 2000, CP 9.

Benefits of the Psykers:

1. They give you access to two -1 to hit powers. Choose a unit and make it ineffective every turn. Oh look, those Lootas/Gallant/etc are now useless.

2. They have options for MW output e.g. Vortex, Jaws, Hurricane, Purge Soul, Trephination.

3. Cheeky teleport with Gate of Infinity, and Crowe actually is great at clearing chaff.

The idea is to let you Wardens and Allarus wreck face while the psykers nerf any shooting or melee units that might give them a hard time. Once those units are deleted, you can start spewing mortal wounds to anything that's left.

Nothing like rebasing at the last minute haha.

Good luck this weekend, Shane. Make us proud!

"YOU'RE MY BOY, BLUE!"

Lootas can still hit on 5+ with a strat and dakka dakka.... not the best enemy to use invisibility against it they will still shred.

Sure, so they won't affect Loota's. But you can affect everything else in the game. LOL. Let's not focus on the peas and ignore the steak.

Lootas can still hit on 5+ with a strat and dakka dakka.... not the best enemy to use invisibility against it they will still shred.

Sure, so they won't affect Loota's. But you can affect everything else in the game. LOL. Let's not focus on the peas and ignore the steak.

I agree with your point in principle, except that Lootas are basically the steak of the ork codex. Plus, the things that make ork lootas ignore minuses to hit apply to their whole army. Meaning that, if you're doing this purely as anti-ork, don't. If your plan is bigger than that, carry on my good sir.

Good luck Shane.

What’s interesting to me is in the top 86 players there are fewer Knights than the field as a whole. It appears that Knights at the top of the playing field are losing favour.

This could work in your favour if you do alright in your first game or two.

Archived