LVO prep *Custodes*

How are you guys getting on? (Haven’t had a chance to tune it) having fun I hope.

Everything on their twitch is AOS, 40k is this weekend as well right?

Edit: found out the 40k part is on warhammer tv and only able to watch the vods if your a subscriber.

I didn't see any of the main Custodes games on the stream. Suffice to say a lot of the common stuff you see at the top, Ynnarri, Astra, Drukari, and a few outliers, but not a lot of pure Custodes, that's for sure. I did see a TON of Castellans. Even lists called "X" were quite often hosting a Castellan. I don't want to talk about Castellans here, but it was seemingly VERY common.

I did see Trajann get wacked by Abaddon once. That was it for Custodes that I could see though. lol

Hope you had fun, Shane, and whomever else attended with Custodes!

Finally back from LVO and catching up on adulting (except I'm on B&C :whistling:

Managed to pull off 3-3. Some personal bests in that I had a better showing than ever before (I went 3-3 before but with far less points), I managed to command re-roll a 1 to a 1 in every game (twice in 4 games), and got 4 of my opponents to apologize to me for my bad rolling (a new personal record!) All and all, a good weekend.

I'm going to type up some simple battle reports when I can breath.

How'd you do?

Erick Trock finished 23rd overall with pure Custodes. Ironically his list is pure Custodes and nearly identical to mine. No wonder I had to stop playing it. I'm not very competent and I felt it was just too strong. And here all along by stripping bikes away, and removing allies I thought I was doing my play groups a favour. lol

Very blended units from all over the codex....

Captain on bike

Allarus

wardens (bigger squad than I use... I think 9!)

Vexillus Praetor: Magnifica

Trajann

Shield Capt Bike

3 x Guardians, spear, 2 shields each.

I started playing this list when I thought allying was too much. But the more I played this list, the better I got, and it performed. It got to the point where I retired it entirely, my play groups were far too frustrated with it. The final time was the last few games (some I reported here) where they just found it too frustrating to deal with and didn't know how to play against it so I felt to guilty and that's essentially when I posted in this forum that I was retiring the army.

Captain on bike

Allarus

Trajann

Shield Capt Bike

I started playing this list when I thought allying was too much. But the more I played this list, the better I got, and it performed. It got to the point where I retired it entirely, my play groups were far too frustrated with it. The final time was the last few games (some I reported here) where they just found it too frustrating to deal with and didn't know how to play against it so I felt to guilty and that's essentially when I posted in this forum that I was retiring the army.

I've seen this list a few times now on the internet ( no battle reports however) so I'm still trying to see the crux of it as it looks quite underpowered on paper in contrast to the results it gives.

Is it something to do with the blob of wardens that make it so effective?

I agree because I thought I was turning my list down. I know for me it’s bringing in reserves off of the Magnifica and people have to dedicate serious effort to get 3 obsec guardians off of objectives. Using strats at key times is huge with Custodes. They are extremely potent in the right moment.

I agree because I thought I was turning my list down. I know for me it’s bringing in reserves off of the Magnifica and people have to dedicate serious effort to get 3 obsec guardians off of objectives. Using strats at key times is huge with Custodes. They are extremely potent in the right moment.

Flashback to a year ago and the codex release where I strongly advocated having at least one big unit of something to get lots of efficiency out of powerful Strats on powerful models. Like the Wardens there: From Golden Light They Come for 1 CP on 3 or 4 models is good - on like 7+ is amazing.

Captain on bike

Allarus

Trajann

Shield Capt Bike

Really did like his list, im not a fan of the bikes. And the more shields than spears was an eye opener for me. And it synergize well with each other. And to throw wardens in the mix with their axes. Deadly. I think he mentioned smite spam kicked his ass. But definitely a different outlook on custodes

Ok, now that I am alive again, I have my LVO breakdown.

Unfortunately I got ousted from first place Custodes by the number 3 player (the one running a castellan and 2 BA slam caps) even with having a 35pt lead. I went 4-2 and 158th of 660ish players, so I ended up as 2nd place Custodes and 49th place Overall. (Crazy that 158th place at LVO gave me more points than my 7th place at NOVA.)

I had a blast despite not doing as well as I would have liked.

I'll do a game by game breakdown soon.

Archived