Jolemai

bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Forge World and Forge World Legends comprise parts five and six.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Assault Squad
sml_gallery_62972_11847_285.jpg
RAS, RedemptionNL

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your RAS?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Do you make use of the Combat Squads special rule?
  • Footslog, jump pack, or transport? Are you making use of Jump Pack Assault?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai
Updated!

I have been bringing three units of five assault marines with jump packs in recent games and doing ok with them.I have been running them as the fast attack choice in my brigade with just bolt pistol and chainsword.

The most success I’m having with them is as throw away objective claimers, extra screaning units to protect against enemy deepstrike and on rare occasions because of having a bunch of command points, apon wings of fire late game to drop them where needed for line breaker or some other such play.

Their main asset I think is there cheaper alternatives to other units in that slot when considering a brigade.

Definitely an ok fluffy unit not a unit likely to be used in a min/max list.

They're decent special weapon caddies and can help fill out a brigade. Two Plasma guns and a Plasma Pistol on overcharge is nice dakka for the points.

Grab a few of these to augment Captain Smash to help with overcharge (re-roll bubble) and drop on a flank.

They are basically more mobile Tacticals. They are as durable and pack as much a punch (which is not a whole lot compared with other units in the Codex). Better keep them cheap and use them to grab objectives while your opponent is distracted by your more punchy units ... or if the shoots your Assault Marines be happy that your more punchy units can live a little longer. Either way a win-win. The only problem will be to have enough points for such a unit left since unless you play a Brigade they simply aren't required.

They are quintissentially BA so no matter their standing I'll always find a place for them. Red with their yellow helmets is pretty iconic BA for me. They have their uses as chaff clearance I find, they're not going to be deciding the game on their own but they're still Marines - your opponent can't just ignore them as they're not the killiest unit in your army. As sfpanzer said if they're targetting your RAS then they're not damaging your better units :yes:

Besides, even a load of chainsword attacks can occasionally defy statistics and surprise everyone, and as always +1 to Wound in the first phase of combat does help them perform better than everyone elses at least.

I'd say that they got so bad in this edition, that they won't let you down if you take them :P Seriously though their role would be support for other elements and objective grabbing.
There's a big chance that enemy will ignore them and they still punch as hard as any of our chainsword-wielding infantry. I would keep them cheap with the Melta bomb for the occasional vehicle threat. Although post CA point reductions for special weapons are nice and tempting.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Off topic removed, as per the disclaimer.

I think BA are one of, if not the only, Astartes force where ASM have a place in 8th Ed.

As 5x power-armored bodies, they go down just as hard as any other genetically altered sack of meat in this addition. That being said, there are a few viable builds in my experience:

A. 2-3x Inferno pistols + jump packs

B. 3x Plasma pistols + jump packs

C. 2x flamers + jump packs

D. 2x melta + inferno Sgt in a Stormraven or Rhino

You'll note that mobility is crucial to their operation.

In general, I think special pistols outweigh the fullsize version since it allows the chainsword arm to swing freely and we want to maximize Red Thirst on any non-100% dedicated shooting unit. The trick is to try to keep them at or under the 100pt mark, since you want 2+ units of them. You want them to compliment other jump units (SG, DC, VV, Inceptors, etc...) and use their special weapons to dogpile targets of opportunity and/or each Overwatch/mop up chaff. That right-priced utility is what makes them quite useful in my experience. The one different build is the melta gun one, where you basically use them as a Tactical + squad to take out enemy armor. But they will die even quicker that way, so make your targets count.

Their home in the Fast Attack slot is what really gives them usefulness; with how crowded the Elites slot is (especially with VV), this is a cheap and effective way to get more mobile units on the board. Of course being Fast Attack, you will have to ask yourself why you would want to take them over Scout Bikes, that perennially overacheiving FA unit. In which case if your answer is:

A. more special weapons

B. jump packs, because Blood Angels

C. both

...then you have your answer in ASM.

I like to use a 5-man jumppack squad with 2 meltaguns and a plasma pistol on the sgt. I mainly use them to drop down and pick off wounded vehicles or the like that I don't want to divert more essential firepower to. Then there's a couple very mobile meltaguns in their midst that they're going to divert their firepower towards and away from my more essential assests. As a plus, the most recent ASM kit comes with those raised bases which makes them look better in my all-Primaris* force.

*95% Primaris force.

I've only used assault squads as special weapon bearers in 8th, with units built for both plasma and melta. They generally drop in with a combi-melta Captain next to something big, aiming to strip a bunch of wounds before the Captain charges in with his thunder hammer to finish it off.

I'd say both weapon loadouts have generally been underwhelming - even with a Captain around to reroll 1s I seem to miss a lot of hits, or roll 1-2 to wound. It's quite common against a typical T7 target that of my 3 melta weapons (Captain and 2x assault marines) 1 misses outright, of the 2 that go through 1 fails to wound, then if the remaining shot gets through armour/invul it tends to roll something like 1-2 damage. The plasma unit has been similar in most games, with the majority of shots stumbling at either the hit or wound stages. I have at times dropped both the melta and plasma squads down with the captain and barely scratched the target.

I think their main problem in this role is the limited number of shots, compared to other squads that can have each model carrying an upgrade. The extra shots could be attained by running an extra squad but I feel the main problem there would be the space required for the footprint, both in terms of dropping into the >9" holes and making sure they'd all have LoS on terrain heavy boards within those drop windows.

Ultimately I think Slothysaur has it right when assault marines are used for special weapons; rather than being reliable damage dealers they're more of a nuisance unit. If they drop in, do little damage and get killed at least they've served as a distraction. If they drop in and the opponent ignores them, you have a small squad with the potential to dish out nice damage if they're allowed to move around unhurt.

I think my feeling of them being underwhelming stems more from the fact that I've counted on them being able to kill (or cripple) targets on the drop. I'll still run them often as they feel nice and BA-ish to me, dropping in to blast something in the face, but I might focus them more on harassment. The other option is as Indefragable mentioned, to maybe utilise a transport for the melta unit to get them firing within the 6" melta range rather than dropping in at 9.1" without the melta bonus. I might try that for the melta wielders and save the plasma for a deep strike nuisance role.

Edited by Thoridon

With the change to rules for rapid fire weapons and shooting in general, I'm looking forward to making a dual plasma assault squad. It's a shame they're relegated to fire support as opposed to, y'know, assault.

I wish GW would allow a power weapon in place of a special weapon. That would greatly improve them. Or 4 power weapons per squad, in the way that devastators can get 4 heavy weapons per squad. 

Units of 5 ASM with 5 power swords would be tasty. 

Edited by Xenith

One thing I'm interested in is this: with the VAS everyone is talking about double chainswords and yet the the RAS sergeant can do this - but no one appears to? I suppose it depends on how one wants to run the unit but this Sergeant set up (seasoned with a melta bomb and combat shield if desired) could do a good job, no? What unit get up would benefit most here?

Then there's the eviscerator on one of the red shirts. What set up would best make use of that?

With the change to rules for rapid fire weapons and shooting in general, I'm looking forward to making a dual plasma assault squad. It's a shame they're relegated to fire support as opposed to, y'know, assault.

I wish GW would allow a power weapon in place of a special weapon. That would greatly improve them. Or 4 power weapons per squad, in the way that devastators can get 4 heavy weapons per squad. 

Units of 5 ASM with 5 power swords would be tasty. 

At that point though just spend a few extra points and use VAS, but I know that's not the point of this thread.

One thing I'm interested in is this: with the VAS everyone is talking about double chainswords and yet the the RAS sergeant can do this - but no one appears to? I suppose it depends on how one wants to run the unit but this Sergeant set up (seasoned with a melta bomb and combat shield if desired) could do a good job, no? What unit get up would benefit most here?

Then there's the eviscerator on one of the red shirts. What set up would best make use of that?

Evicerator is nice, but hefty points for just a single attack sadly. Nice point on the sarge, thats a decent few dice - however if you're going the special weapon route a pistol just seems more effective.

If you're going weapon caddy I think you need to go hard and get 3 squads the same (all plasma/ melta) and go for a single unit. This is relatively inexpensive and can all land on a single flank to hurt something big, and is more saturation than the alternative Inceptors.

What changes to shooting? .

The change to being able to rapid fire and charge in the same turn, compared to 7th where you couldn't charge if you used a rf weapon - or am I imagining the old rules?

One of the most point effective units in 7th was 5 man RAS in a rhino or razor with 2x plasma. I think theyre still decent now, with packs instead. 

What changes to shooting? .

The change to being able to rapid fire and charge in the same turn, compared to 7th where you couldn't charge if you used a rf weapon - or am I imagining the old rules?

One of the most point effective units in 7th was 5 man RAS in a rhino or razor with 2x plasma. I think theyre still decent now, with packs instead. 

Thing is, Plasma back then was a very high quality shooting weapon - ignoring any armour save you might find. Now it's a little more lackluster, and due to AP mechanics marines are even weaker defensively than they were before, so that transport almost becomes better than packs.

• 4 months later...

With the 04/29/2019 FAQ changing Hand Flamers to D6 but leaving them at 1 point and CA 2018 dropping JP ASM to 15ppm, i have begun to reconsider both of them. The prospect of having 3d6 auto hitting shots+1d6 frag grenade and a bolt pistol, followed by 11 CC attacks, all for the paltry sum of 78pts is really starting piquing my interest.

If i have done the math correctly, the above set up should be able to do an average of 8.632 unsaved wounds to a GEQ unit.  not terrible, though it admittedly is only an average and requires getting within 6" of the target to pull off, but interesting nonetheless.

With the 04/29/2019 FAQ changing Hand Flamers to D6 but leaving them at 1 point and CA 2018 dropping JP ASM to 15ppm, i have begun to reconsider both of them. The prospect of having 3d6 auto hitting shots+1d6 frag grenade and a bolt pistol, followed by 11 CC attacks, all for the paltry sum of 78pts is really starting piquing my interest.

If i have done the math correctly, the above set up should be able to do an average of 8.632 unsaved wounds to a GEQ unit.  not terrible, though it admittedly is only an average and requires getting within 6" of the target to pull off, but interesting nonetheless.

Not easy to pull-off. They can't shoot or charge after advancing, so it's safe to assume they would manage to get stuck in T2 if they survive. How about putting them without JPs into a Storm Raven then? Or a Rhino? You could fit 2 squads then or some additional shooty support.

Not easy to pull-off. They can't shoot or charge after advancing, so it's safe to assume they would manage to get stuck in T2 if they survive. How about putting them without JPs into a Storm Raven then? Or a Rhino? You could fit 2 squads then or some additional shooty support.

Maybe, but personally, i think that adding more part to the RAS equation is a mistake. they should be seen as a cheap, highly mobile combined arms  unit that can utilize our specific tools in ways that other, more efficient Fast attack units cannot, at such a low points investment.