Jolemai

The only niche I see them having for the current points is if we retain the ability to run melta guns when the supplement arrives. That would still give the option to deep strike a pair of melta guns behind key targets (if there's a gap). Deep striking also means being outside the +2D range when they drop in.

Edited by Jolemai
See disclaimer

I could see running 5 for deploy scramblers/ repair homer actions, as they are the cheapest unit that can deepstrike I think?

And if they are doing actions, their lower damage output doesn't really matter.

Giving them 2 plasma guns and a plasma pistol sarge wouldn't be overly expensive even for an action squad

I could see running 5 for deploy scramblers/ repair homer actions, as they are the cheapest unit that can deepstrike I think?

And if they are doing actions, their lower damage output doesn't really matter.

Giving them 2 plasma guns and a plasma pistol sarge wouldn't be overly expensive even for an action squad

While Assault Squads aren't actually the cheapest unit with a datasheet ability to be placed into reserves, they will likely contribute more after their scrambler is deployed than those other options. They can even deploy their scrambler and still shoot their special weapons with the 2cp stratagem that let's a unit shoot while performing an action.

Edited by Hintzy
See disclaimer

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Folks, I really appreciate the replies but this series of articles is about focusing on the worth of a particular unit and in this case, it's about eeking out the best from the RAS. The internet is full of topics and threads about what is best, with everyone saying "oh take this instead, it's better", but no one takes the time to highlight all our options. This is what these topics are about. People have RAS, people want to use RAS. We're not one dimensional, not everyone wants to play in exactly the same way.

If you wish to talk up another unit, find a thread in the series Index. If you wish to compare and contrast, start up a new thread. 

for 120 points instead i would take a squad of 3 incursors. 18 Str 5 Ap-1 shots seems better to me than 2D6 Str 4 Ap 0 and 1D6 Str 3

Well, I guess that's exactly that kind of comment that Jolemai didn't want :D Beside that, I think you mean Inceptors not Incursors?

I for myself are eager to give them a try. The 2nd wound is a huge improvement for firstborn and the buff for Astartes chainswords on top of that makes them somewhat viable in CC in my eyes. They have high mobility and access to the new melta bomb strat which I find very useful. Some mortal wounds here and there can be the end for already damaged vehicles. They are cheaper as their more efficient counterparts, so you've some points to spend elsewhere. While they are not a unit to build your army around, they can have a place as chaff clearers or as a harassment unit.

for 120 points instead i would take a squad of 3 incursors. 18 Str 5 Ap-1 shots seems better to me than 2D6 Str 4 Ap 0 and 1D6 Str 3

Well, I guess that's exactly that kind of comment that Jolemai didn't want :biggrin.: Beside that, I think you mean Inceptors not Incursors?

I for myself are eager to give them a try. The 2nd wound is a huge improvement for firstborn and the buff for Astartes chainswords on top of that makes them somewhat viable in CC in my eyes. They have high mobility and access to the new melta bomb strat which I find very useful. Some mortal wounds here and there can be the end for already damaged vehicles. They are cheaper as their more efficient counterparts, so you've some points to spend elsewhere. While they are not a unit to build your army around, they can have a place as chaff clearers or as a harassment unit.

I hang my head in shame.  You are correct.  :rolleyes:.   Was moreso responding to the prior post.  But you're right.  NOT the point of this thread. LOL

I used to field a squad of 5 on foot with 2 melta guns and the segeant with 2 inferno pistols coming out of a drop pod. (back in 6th/7th edition).      This gave you a great heavy hitter for realatively cheap.   The drop pod rules back then meant you could pop them in danger close, and within the range of the inferno pistols.

So if I were to try something similar now, I'd go with the melta guns and swap the inferno pistols on the sergent for a plasma pistol (so that I'd be in range when deepstriking in).   115 points (125 points with jump packs) and a nice threat to vehicles/monsters.   It's also nice that it is a FA slot rather than Elite.   So you could still have your Death Company/Sanguinary Guard/VVets if you like on top of this little suicide bomb.

Don’t forget that since we have successor tactics now that we can add 3’ to their range making either a flamer drop or melta drop a little bit more delicious.

Outside of that I like the idea of using them on the cheap to bully some units. Keep them ready for the mid field in late game and then they can wipe whatever stragglers left.

I know we're mostly looking for real world results but here is my napkin math on this:

The question "Why bring Assault marines when X is better?" can easily be solved with "Porque no los dos?": "Why not both?"

Assault marine fill a crucial gap for us: "Cheap" assault units. Cheap is in quotes because they are actually pretty expensive. My point is that all other premium assault units are stuck in the elite slots. This includes the real cheap assault unit of CCW scouts. However our Fast Attack slot is largely empty even though we recently had some life brought into it with primaris and the success of biker units. If you're tight on spots (I.E. single FOC games etc.) assault marines may help shave enough points to spend on a premium unit.

On that note, the only thing preventing you from bringing van-vets/SG/DC AND assault marines are points. But this is going to be true at every point level short of apocalypse style 3k battles. That said, there is no reason or actually any detriment to fielding both a premium and a cheap assault unit. You need some chaff to help clear the way for your premium assault units and sometimes you just can't squeeze more out of that Elite slot. That's where these guys come in. Sure you can clear the way with tactical marines/intercessors but there are use cases for a 1-2 punch of assault, especially for castles and the like.

Furthermore our assault units can still take a good amount of guns. MSU with plasma is going to be a very simple harassment unit (I.E. dual plasmagun + combi-plasma). MSU melta is still cool. I think flamer squads are legit now that the range combats deepstrike distances so a mobile flamer squad sounds very intriguing. The only thing that beats this are going to be your Company Vets but those have a larger price premium just like VanVets and other elites.

All just speculation of course but I see potential here that should not be dismissed.

Edited by Spagunk

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2019 at 10:25 AM, Jolemai said:

bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Forge World and Forge World Legends comprise parts five and six.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Assault Squad
sml_gallery_62972_11847_285.jpg
RAS, RedemptionNL

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your RAS?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Do you make use of the Combat Squads special rule?
  • Footslog, jump pack, or transport? Are you making use of Jump Pack Assault?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Thread updated for Nephilim.

RAS are making a comeback in a few lists right now. Being used for RND secondaries (so usually with six models to avoid fails), as is the use of melta carriers. How are you guys doing with them? 

• 2 months later...

Quick question, The Sergeant can take from the pistol list but no price is given in the updated points for an Inferno Pistol. Does this mean the Serg can take an IP for free along with the free power sword/lightning claw and combat shield? That is quite a lot of free gear potentially. 

I typically use at least one if not 2 Assault squads in every marine list I make. Normally just 6 bare bone with the sgt with a power sword or fist + inferno pistol. Their entire job is fast moving action monkeys and light harassment as a secondary job. Cheap, easy to hide and gets the job done.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:45 AM, Karhedron said:

Quick question, The Sergeant can take from the pistol list but no price is given in the updated points for an Inferno Pistol. Does this mean the Serg can take an IP for free along with the free power sword/lightning claw and combat shield? That is quite a lot of free gear potentially. 

I believe so, yes.

Just note that regular assault squad members cannot take inferno pistols like they used too, they don't have access to the pistol list, instead their datasheet explicitly says they can take plasma pistols, and our supplement doesn't change that. (Though the Plasma Pistols are indeed free, which is nice) Which makes the PP probably better than the melta gun, since they get to keep the chainsword for +1 attack and AP-1, and its cheaper.