Gederas' Heresy Shenanigans

Gederas

In other news, I've gotten another Primarch on my painting desk. It's kind of funny, the first Primarch I paint is IX, now I'm painting VIII.

This is what he looked like on Saturday, before I primed him.
SEs1oVn.jpg

This is what he looked like by 2pm this afternoon:
9DBgrbp.jpg

This is what he looks like now:

bQwB8ho.jpg

yJqYBTC.jpg

WYVB0cc.jpg

LealPBe.jpg

4NGgntX.jpg

Clearly I can paint really fast when I want to. But I rarely want to it seems :laugh.:

Not yet completed, but nearly done with him. All that's left to do on Curze himself is to highlight the bones and his lightning claws, then do some clean-up on the silver trim on his armour. So he's like, 90% done. Then all that's left is finishing his base. Then I can varnish him and get some Blood for the Blood God for the lovely, lovely gore.

Edited by Gederas

Lovely paint scheme, how did you manage it?

On Curze's blue armour? It's actually quite simple.

• Iron Warriors base coat (over black primer in my case)
  • Nuln Oil Gloss shade
  • Drybrush of Leadbelcher
  • Lighter Drybrush of Ironbreaker
  • Edge highlight of Stormhost Silver
  • Two layers of Calth Blue Clear
  • Wash/Ink of Asurmen Blue (what I used, but Drakenhof Nightshade also works)

The Wash/Ink was to tone back the blue, as the clear blue over the metallic base was REALLY bright. Like, it made him look more like he was rocking Ultramarines armour bright :lol:

And now:

PRIMARCH VII: KONRAD CURZE, THE NIGHT HAUNTER, SIRE OF THE NIGHT LORDS

ZYPv5D3.jpg

YM4JE4n.jpg

4Z83Kc3.jpg

zugNdV7.jpg

DQX9Jj6.jpg

ecCZA2X.jpg

V9VLcZx.jpg

zrMhZ1W.jpg

And that's not all, for I also have another:

PRIMARCH IX: SANGUINIUS, THE GREAT ANGEL, SIRE OF THE BLOOD ANGELS

KCXBlQh.jpg

4sXGkYM.jpg

a0HIVsC.jpg

T7X2XAS.jpg

bdRnkvy.jpg

Two Primarchs down. Seventeen to go :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

• 2 months later...

This topic has been quiet for a while, and I apologize for that. However, I have an update (no pictures though)

I'll be doing a bit of a Forge World order next Friday, which will give my new 30k/40k Army what I need for the non-Primaris Marines (as well as the Primaris for the 40k aspect, as it's mostly shoulderpads). I'm not yet going to reveal what it is until I have the models, but I'll leave a small, musical teaser:

Third post in a row, but I suppose I should give the Butcher's Bill of what I have so far for this project:

• Praetor in Cataphractii Armour (the one from Betrayal at Calth)
  • 10 Mark III Marines armed with Bolters (Sergeant has a Power Fist and originally a Plasma Pistol, but I don't think that's a legal loadout, so I tore it off)
  • 11 Mark IV Marines armed with Bolters
  • 10 Mark III marines (literally) unarmed
  • 4 Heavy Bolter Marines (one more and I have a MSU Heavy Support Squad I think?)
  • 19 repair-job Mark IVs (I'm not sure I'll be able to get all of them armed as they were assembled pretty terribly....)
  • 5 Tartaros Terminators (need another Combi-Bolter for them because I have no idea where it went to)
  • Land Raider Phobos
  • Predator (technically I have two, but from what I can tell only the autocannon turret is legal in 30k?)
  • Vindicator (currently sitting in a bath of Green Mean along with the Praetor)

I think I've got a decent....ish starting force? Unsure where to go from here, though I do know on Friday I'll be ordering at the least a Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (dual Assault Cannons and Cyclone Miss-err, Havoc Launcher :laugh.:)

Edited by Gederas

Cracking work on the Primarchs, I'm particularly liking the blue of Kurze's armour and how you've done Sanguinius' wings; the recesses are well defined, yet the white still looks pure.

Thanks!

Curze's armour was a definite experiment, as until I did a wash of Asuremen Blue, his armour was hilariously bright and shiny. And while the Primarchs I paint will be in metallic armour, it was a bit much on Curze :lol:

And Sanguinius' wings.... I'll admit, they do look good but it's all a simple cheating method: I pre-shaded his wings with black>grey>white primer, then did a wetter-than-normal drybrush of White Scar over the whole of them. Then I did some edge highlights with more White Scar. End result is what you see there.

Top notch! Keep it up!

BCC

Thanks BCC. And don't worry, I will. I'm normally a hobby butterfly, but this is something that gives me a goal. And that goal is a glorious 30k/40k crossover force. With lots and lots of armour and Dreadnoughts :lol:

That's a good trick for the wings, I imagine pre-shading really helps on white, as it's such an easy colour to mess up otherwise.

It does. The result is pretty clear. And turns out, pre-shading isn't only useful for airbrushing :lol:

No new pictures, but I did find another Mark IV marine with a heavy bolter.... which means I now have a 5-man Legion Heavy Support Squad armed with heavy bolters. Sweet. And he's got a unique helmet compared to the others, which means I found the Sergeant :lol:

Additionally: Found my Autocannon-armed Deredeo with Aiolos missile launcher ran off too. Need to pick up a Sentinel to Mad Cat it though.

Very jealous, it's a lovely sculpt. Will you be making him as is, or converting?

I'm going to be using him as-is, just replacing the blank shoulder pad with one of the Iron Warriors Mark III shoulders.

I'm also trying to decide on if I want him on a 32mm base or a 40mm base....

Edited by Gederas

Hm, I normally stick to 32mm for power armoured guys; but his pose and general quality of the sculpt beg for more attention than usual regarding the base, so a little extra space wouldn't go amiss.

120 Iron Warriors shoulder pads (60 Mark III, 60 Mark IV) arrived. Finally :lol:

A8Y1zKF.jpg

Now I need to clean and prep them to put on the models, but I'll do that tomorrow as I need to get ready for work.

Hm, I normally stick to 32mm for power armoured guys; but his pose and general quality of the sculpt beg for more attention than usual regarding the base, so a little extra space wouldn't go amiss.

Yeah. I was thinking of a 40mm base because of his pose (and I didn't want him standing on a backpack :lol:)

[*]Predator (technically I have two, but from what I can tell only the autocannon turret is legal in 30k?)

I think I've got a decent....ish starting force? :laugh.:)

Sounds amazing, looking forward to more pics, including Dreygur.

My red book suggests 4 possible upgrades for the autocannon on a predator. Ironically, the dual las cannon is not one of them, and I have a rogue trader predator (from when I was a kid, I’m that old) that I converted, maybe 10 years ago, to annihilator dual-lascannon. Not sure If I can face undoing that conversion to make it 30k legal...

Edited by LameBeard

[*]Predator (technically I have two, but from what I can tell only the autocannon turret is legal in 30k?)

I think I've got a decent....ish starting force? :laugh.:)

Sounds amazing, looking forward to more pics, including Dreygur.

My red book suggests 4 possible upgrades for the autocannon on a predator. Ironically, the dual las cannon is not one of them, and I have a rogue trader predator (from when I was a kid, I’m that old) that I converted, maybe 10 years ago, to annihilator dual-lascannon. Not sure If I can face undoing that conversion to make it 30k legal...

Pictures will be incoming soon. I just need to finish my Call of Chaos vow first, then I can focus on these guys :lol:

And that's.... Okay, I understand. The Annihilator turret wasn't invented until after the Heresy. Still annoying for me is all I suppose.

Could do Mars preds for Las turret. Also 1+ for Narik on 40mm base.

I've got two Mars-pattern Predators currently, one turret has dual Lascannons, one has an Autocannon.

Also: I've gotten the Iron Warriors based and shaded, now onto the yellow.... ugh

2ZL3F1t.jpg

So many layers of Yellow.....

And because Dreygur is now giving me issues with painting (he keeps spinning around on the pin I have him on :lol:), I've got a basing distraction:
uKVzsUR.jpg

Gotta clean up the sides and fill in the gaps, but I managed to get a base that works for his pose at the least.

Both the base and the mini are looking good! Might I suggest gluing it to the cork/painting support with a tiny bit of glue to the pin? It should not be too hard to break off if you are careful with the amount of glue used. Edited by Elzender