No loyalist Astartes codex until the end of the year?

Ishagu

I asked some questions and have been given disappointing answers. Apparently there won't be a loyalist codex till much later in the year but that comes alongside even more kits being released beyond the multi-part vanguard.

Everyone is free to make of this what they will. I actually hope this information is wrong as I was honestly expecting an Astartes book in April/May. At least it makes my decision to focus on BL in the coming months very easy. Bring on the Warmaster!

I'm fine with that if true. There really isn't a need for a new Codex just yet.

I think there is, even just if for the sake of putting all the units into one book (I currently need 4 separate books just for the unit datasheets). But in truth the army lack synergy at the moment - the Primaris element literally have no stratagem support and there's gaps everywhere in capability. It feels like a limited beta codex with no imagination or freedom to express different ideas.

I'm super happy that Chaos are looking to get fleshed out more, and can't wait to build a 2k force around Abaddon.

I think there's at least one more wave of Primaris models coming, possibly two (but I'm not holding my breath). I think once the final wave of Primaris models release we'll see a new Codex that consolidates everything into one book. I'm hoping if/when that happens we also see some stratagems that are new and flavorful.

Yeah that would make sense, don't get me wrong.

We'd have: Basic Primaris elements (first wave), the Vanguard /Scouting elements, and finally something like Heavy Support and Strong cc focus element to round it all off. "Damage dealers" so to speak.

6 more months is a long, long time...

I agree the level of bookkeeping is getting ludicrous, it’s way worse than anything I dealt with in 7th or Heresy. However I don’t believe GW think it is so I doubt they’re in a rush. To be honest I’d be really surprised if the codex is out before the end of the year. Judging by how slow they’re being at releasing stuff I just don’t see how they can fit it in. Plus I think the end of the year will be earmarked for the Sisters Codex if it’s ready.

I agree the level of bookkeeping is getting ludicrous, it’s way worse than anything I dealt with in 7th or Heresy. However I don’t believe GW think it is so I doubt they’re in a rush. To be honest I’d be really surprised if the codex is out before the end of the year. Judging by how slow they’re being at releasing stuff I just don’t see how they can fit it in. Plus I think the end of the year will be earmarked for the Sisters Codex if it’s ready.

Let's see you have the codex, the index (because the codex is missing units), then you have various Primaris sheets, Vigilus book, White Dwarf articles if they apply to you, and any allied units index/codex books. Then you gotta to FW and their 2 books. Anything else I'm missing?

The Sisters are going to be interesting based on the "no model, no rules" policy. If there's going to be a wave based released then I could see a box set release with a mini-dex for the summer for wave 1 and then wave 2 with a full codex. It's hard to say because SoB are effectively the first new army for 40k with no pre-existing plastic miniature range to build upon. I can understand moving back low hanging fruit (consolidating units and updated rules) to the end of the year to free up the studio resources to a full push to get out a brand new codex and range all at once.

As it was already mentioned, I could imagine one or two releases like Shadowspear and then possibly release a Primaris only codex or something like that.

Including all the Primaris stuff into the regular one would lead to a quite huge SM codex.

Problem I'm having on top of the book keeping is that the army has really aged. Compared to the more recent stuff it's simply dull, and I say this as the biggest Astartes fan around. It's why I'm hopping on to BL until they get their butts in gear.

I think it will come out this year as GW are aware of the issues with Astartes. I don't think they'll make us wait until 2020.

Jarl Caldersson - you're right. I actually need 5 books lol

Dont worry Ishagu... at least your models have offical rules in offical publications ... be it Codex, Index, WD etc..... think about the poor old bone singer..   You have to know that their rules are on WHC to get them!

Look at the CSM codex "2.0". It just a gathering of existed expansions and patches. The weak units and traits were not touched, and remain to be weak.

It is highly possible that SM would receive a similiar "2.0". The sooner it arrive, the sooner you disappoint.

Storytelling101: build up the big bads and show them being really mean before giving the good guys the means to deal with the bigger challenge.

Actually a smart move by GW, letting chaos enjoy a moment in the spotlight semi-unopposed.

As for Codex:SM 2.0 preCA2019edition: Later release = rules better adapted to previous releases.

Let's see you have the codex, the index (because the codex is missing units), then you have various Primaris sheets, Vigilus book, White Dwarf articles if they apply to you, and any allied units index/codex books. Then you gotta to FW and their 2 books. Anything else I'm missing?

Yep, plus Chapter approved and any relevant FAQs and errata for those books. Honestly at this point if I wasn’t sure of something it could take me 10-15 minutes to find it in the right place.

There's an awful lot of bloat going on with the Space Marines Codex so I imagine there won't be a new one until Primaris have enough options to stand on their own feet a lot better. Shoehorning new units and more bolter variants will just cause more complications for all those newbies GW wants, therefore we will get the following:

I firmly believe there will be 2 Codex Space Marines -

- Codex Space Marines now will be the legacy Codex.

- Codex Primaris Chapters (full title whatever) which will be GW's new golden goose.

The way the 8th edition system works now, if you want a Classic Marines Chapter with any new units unique to Codex Primaris Chapters, you can just add them as you see fit using the Keyword system.

They could do that. I imagine if they went that route it would simply be Codex: Primaris

Crazy thing is there are already 22 or more Primaris exclusive datasheets and units. Another wave could push it to 30 which would be more than enough for a stand-alone book.

I do hope if they go for codex primaris they clean up the data sheets a bit. So instead of having a gazillion entries for a primaris captain they have one which would be a bog standard one and then have options like may replace bolt gun and password for plasma pistol and power fist etc.

I do hope if they go for codex primaris they clean up the data sheets a bit. So instead of having a gazillion entries for a primaria captain they have one which would be a big standard one and then have options like may replace bolt gun and password for plasma pistol and power fist etc.

GW has been all over the place with this for AoS. As far as I can tell the logic seems to be if the equipment gives a special rule that impacts the statline then it's a unique sheet, but if it's a special rule that gives an alteration to an action then it's not. Anyone with better knowledge of non-marine 'dexes know if this is how it played out with Eldar autarchs or Tau commanders?

Regarding datasheets:

If different armours (e.g. gravis, phobos, ...) were wargear with their specific special rules (e.g. phobos -> deep strike denial), a lot of datasheets could be made much smaller: "<this unit> must be equipped with either gravis or phobos armour"

and

"if <this unit> is equipped with phobos armour, it may pick up to 2 weapons from the following list:

• some sort of bolter
  • some sort of combi weapon
  • a wet noodle"

Archived