Konrad Curze: The Night Haunter

I might read this after the spoilers. Night Lords are always weird to me, so if this develops them more it’ll be worth it.

I'd definitely recommend it. The story is basically Curze trying to justify his actions to both the Emperor and also to himself. He simultaneously hates what he is, while reveling in it. He lies about it ("I don't enjoy what I must do to you"), while also arguing that he's only what the Emperor made him to be, so really it's the Emperor who's lying, not him, but what if the only reason he thinks what he did is necessary is because he IS broken? What if he were more like his polar-opposite Sanguinius and grew up on Baal instead of Nostramo, would that make them "swap", or would be still be the same creature, and you made me like this, father!

I finally got it and just finished it last night. I was worried when I saw that Haley was the writer - for me, he can be a bit hit and miss, though I really enjoyed Hammer of Olympia.But this was excellent. There were small flashes of the majesty of Curze, but he did an excellent job of showing his degeneration and the madness that ruled him. Also liked that all the big names cropped up here and there, and the structure of the book, jumping around in time, worked very well, showing the lunacy of Curze and his fractured thoughts.

Hidden Content
Interesting that of all the characters, Sevatar was specifically shown as having a clouded future (might have been a hint for Curze that his own views on fate were wrong, there...). Is that simply Haley doesn't know what the plans are for him and doesn't want to commit himself? Or are fan theories correct about Sev being more important than even he knows?

I'm curious if we know anything more about the book Curze wrote, The Dark - does it appear again? Is it just insane ramblings, do any of the kids care about it?

I really liked that he danced around the big events, giving more depth and context to them, without feeling like he had to rehash them. Dorn's intervention/strangulation, Corax and co, the purging of Nostramo, the first influxes of criminals into the legion.

In all, excellent book. Probably my favourite Primarch book so far.

From what I can tell, he tossed the book into an easy to overlook spot, right in front of his trapped room. So after that was immolated and the rest of his stuff was stolen, I don't think there was a lot of reason for them to hang around there.

all of the GK grand masters were revealed in Buried Dagger, so Sev being a GK is officially dead

in addition though, no one knows where he is, so he could also not be dead

And while I personally don't care for the fan theory, there are multiple ways in which Sev could still be among the Grey Knights grandmasters, as the candidate's identity is never outright stated, only alluded to, and Sev's fate is completely unknown beyond his imprisoned status. We don't know where, if he was taken along the ride through the Ruinstorm, nor with which Legion he was. If he was with the Blood Angels by the end, he could've reached Terra well before The Buried Dagger's climax and had more than a few sessions with Malcador, fixing his mental degradation and putting him into service against daemons.

I've elaborated on the loopholes before elsewhere, but right now, until we actually see him again, GW and BL could still go for it one way or another. His fate is just as much in shadow for us as it is for Curze. We had rumors about Sevatar dying on Terra, as well, among his own Legion - which can't be the case if he was still locked up in Ultramar, for example, and we know he isn't with Skraivok either. IF he ends up on Terra, during the Siege, it'd have been through the Blood Angels or similar.

I only listened to Buried Dagger once, I just remember the scene. I thought they named them all and they were unknowns from the KE. (They might not be unknowns I just might not know them having not kept up with the Garro plotline)

About Sev's fate, DB said that he had planned it all out with Bligh...so Guy either isn't privy to the details or he is, and he just wants to be ambiguous

This. I dare to assume that if someone's going to continue with Sev, it's Aaron. I don't think that he'd hand Sev's fate and thus, his work/ memorie of a good friend over to someone else.

Edited by Kelborn

• 2 weeks later...

I just read again The Long Night and there's something that made me think about Sevatar's future. The last part says:

"When he dreams now it is not of the dead, but of the endless night between worlds. The deepest void, where a thousand threats drift, away from the light of loyal suns. The domains of aliens and monsters forced into exile by the Great Crusade, still crying out to be extinguished once and for all. The true threats to mankind."

Then, in Curze's novel there's this:

"Curze nodded, though in his heart he knew this was not true, and that Sevatar's fate would bring him much pain before he found equilibrium again. Through loyalty he would follow Curze a long way down a dark path before he found his way back"

And also this:

Curze to Sevatar

"I can tell you how you die, if you wish", said Curze softly, grave as a corpse-choked battlefield from whence all the glory has fled. "Do you want to know? It is far, far away from here, in the endless dark"

So maybe Sevatar ends up on a redemption crusade against the xenos on the borders of the Imperium? That makes me think of Carcharodons but we know they are Raven Guard now. Maybe he starts a proto-Deathwatch that evolves into the one we know? After this novel I can't wait for ADB to continue his story. 

Edited by Cerbero666

This does sound like Charcharodons or Ashen Claws or yet another Nomad Predation fleet out there.

Though I love Sev, I'm not sure If I want to know about his whereabouts. And if, then only in Aarons hands, please. :)

I just read again The Long Night and there's something that made me think about Sevatar's future. The last part says:

"When he dreams now it is not of the dead, but of the endless night between worlds. The deepest void, where a thousand threats drift, away from the light of loyal suns. The domains of aliens and monsters forced into exile by the Great Crusade, still crying out to be extinguished once and for all. The true threats to mankind."

Then, in Curze's novel there's this:

"Curze nodded, though in his heart he knew this was not true, and that Sevatar's fate would bring him much pain before he found equilibrium again. Through loyalty he would follow Curze a long way down a dark path before he found his way back"

And also this:

Curze to Sevatar

"I can tell you how you die, if you wish", said Curze softly, grave as a corpse-choked battlefield from whence all the glory has fled. "Do you want to know? It is far, far away from here, in the endless dark"

So maybe Sevatar ends up on a redemption crusade against the xenos on the borders of the Imperium? That makes me think of Carcharodons but we know they are Raven Guard now. Maybe he starts a proto-Deathwatch that evolves into the one we know? After this novel I can't wait for ADB to continue his story. 

Well, it's not guaranteed that they are Raven Guard, given their... shall we say "tempestuous" relationship with the Ashen Claws, which was the primary assumption people used to say they were Raven Guard.

Yea, outer dark threw a wrench into saying the carcharodons are guaranteed raven guard descent. It's a cool theory that sev could be the Forgotten One. That being said, it clashes with one of Curzes premonition about sevetar keeping the spirit of the legion alive; the carcharodons care nothing for justice.

I would find a mind-wiped/psychically reconstructed Sevatar serving as a GK more plausible than a "redeemed" Sevatar voluntarily doing penance

He's not going to do penance, because he hasn't done anything wrong in his mind. Realigning his outlook can produce a "loyalist" sevatar while still keeping him and his motivations the same.

Sorry to change the subject somewhat, but I just remembered one of my favourite things about this book- how eloquently and convincingly Curze puts across the argument that the Legion’s terror tactics are more *humane* than the other legions; in terms of intent at least, the way that he sees himself is mighty interesting...

I mean, is there really an apology needed for changing the subject back to the actual book rather than more Sevatar fan theories?

Can't believe the regular release is still so far off. I haven't gotten around to Angron yet (needed a break after TSW and all) but as good as it is reputed to be already, it's Curze I'm really excited about. Especially since it appears Haley has pulled it off gloriously yet again. Once again an engaging and complex look at a Primarch, examining him from various angles? Yes, please.