BSB Speculation

ERJAK

Yes!!! Apparently looking at this forum there are now less people I will have to compete with to buy the box

No, you just get fools who see relentless, nonsensical positivity as a baseline and don't comprehend that 'trepidation' and 'skepticism' and even 'distaste' do not equal 'hate the army now'.

Certain people see anything less than riotous applause as abject hate. It's called 'toxic positivity' and its a serious problem.

Nah mate it's people going off on one with only half the facts thinking they know it all, they are the "serious problem". This is why I have stayed away from this forum. I came back thinking, you know what maybe people will be excited for this release but no the same old people spouting the same old rubbish. Laters have fun

Don't let the door hit ya.

Figure dialogus would generate additional dice now, likely on a die roll. Probably Celestine as well.

Yeah, that is a good point. The core for MD and Sacred Rites to be super cool are totally there, more so than the AoF system in the beta book. Assuming we get ways to generate more dice, it could be a lot of fun.

Yep, I figure if we can get to a point where we can reliably get 8 or so in the first 2 turns, then the dice will be sweet.

Sacred rites are hard to suss out but if enough of them are good then rolling for 2 could amp you up A LOT.

Our individual units will need a bit of help with no AoFs propping them up but a few points drops and good strats could take care of that.

Not to mention these NEVER BEFORE SEEN units.

Anyone else super excited about all the new rules we're getting? Holy cow! I'm super pumped! Been waiting years for this release and it is just around the corner!!!

I'm liking them more now that I've had a chance to mull them over. Lotta good potential there.

If the logic is "We don't know anything, so we cannot judge," well, then, the only stance to any reveal aside from the entire codex can only be total neutrality.

As to Shield of Faith, I was so, so hoping they would change it. As is, it is useful only in the most fringe of cases. Despite playing Sisters as my sole army the entirety of of 8th ed, I have never successfully denied a psychic power with it. The 6+ invuln is better than nothing, but only applies to AP-4 or higher (AP-5 or better in cover). Why not just make it a FNP?

Something I'm starting to notice from a lot of posts on this thread is people are really upset with rules that they don't even have a full scope of yet. Wait for the codex to come out. Wait for a few tournament results.  

Honestly, I don't care if the sisters are not hyper competitive. I'm just so damned happy that the line has finally been remade and that GW is keeping their promise. We also have more kits coming as well! Looks like we'll have a full line in no time! Plus we are getting the best looking LE Codex I've seen so far. Can't wait to pre-order my box! So excited right now!

Edit: I really don't feel good about saying this but it almost feels like there are a lot of band-wagoners that were hoping this line would just be a dominant power house. News Flash. Sisters never were a power house and never will be. They are not a flagship army. They fill a niche role. They were already awesome and are even more so now. Move onto the next army and leave this alone. GW has done an amazing job with this recreation of one of my favorite factions since their original release.

Edited by Aothaine

I don't, because right now I'm taking the article at face value and I don't trust GW to have done enough to make it work. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised of Similacrums give some type of bonus for Miracle Dice but I dno't know that I'd want to spend the points on a Similacrum vs. just buying another Battle Sister.

I was fairly angry with the article this morning, and almost preferring Beta AoF over what we got. Right now, I stick with my 2E comment in the other thread but reserve the right to change my opinion in either direction.

(Incredibly toxic reply ngl.)

How you killin stuff in THEIR shooting phase? How you killin stuff in ANY combat phase? Arcos and pengines don't get dice. There's 0 chance you get 5. You'll average maybe 2.5 per turn across 4 turns against a non-psychic army and 3 against a psychic army (you still have to deny the cast).

For reference Tzeentch START with NINE. Which considering they have higher value in early turns is a bit stronger than generating 3-4 per turn, even though you end up with more dice.( plus they can generate more also).

The sacred rites are borderline. These ones are subpar. 5+ to be out of range to shoot something and a close combat bonus for an army that can't really close combat don't equal universal -1 rend. It still has potential, but it's off to a shaky start. Also, only 2 armies have to give something up to take a knight.

Only if they roll a 5 or lower. Although if brazier stays it's actually pretty awesome.

You generate dice when 1 of 4 things happen.

1. You kill a unit - this could happen in your shooting phase or either CC phase (good chance in all 3 phases)
  2. One of your characters die - This could happen in their shooting phase or either CC phase (good chance in all 3 phases)
  3. You deny a psychic power - Their psychic phase (a chance, not a great chance, but a chance none the less)
  4. You roll a 1 for Morale (Again not a great chance)

I just have to have 1 sister cause 1 wound in CC.  It doesn't matter if all of the other wounds were caused by Arcos and PE, or by shooting.

Over in the Dark Angels forum Grim Resolve was looked at poorly, until people figured out that they didn't need to camp a captain by their Hellblasters or Devistators, because those units were always going to stand still and so would always have re-roll 1s to hit.

Spirit of the Martyr is a FREE ancient banner.  How many marine players would like to have the ancient banner applied to their entire army for free?

I think you are wrong about the only 2 armies.  All Marine codexes have to give up something to take knights, including Chaos Marines, so that is far more than 2 armies.  I am pretty sure that both IG and AM have to give up their equivalent to chapter tactics and defenders of humanity.

Knights also give up quite a lot for not fielding a one codex army.  Now you might not care about what you are giving up or you could be building a list that those buffs don't matter, but that is not the same thing as not having to give anything up.

Anyone else catch this? The list of units on the transfer sheets lists Retrubutors and Celestians. Pretty sure that means we'll be getting new boxes for those two units yeah?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/11/sisters-of-battle-army-set-unboxinggw-homepage-post-1/

Something I'm starting to notice from a lot of posts on this thread is people are really upset with rules that they don't even have a full scope of yet. Wait for the codex to come out. Wait for a few tournament results.  

Honestly, I don't care if the sisters are not hyper competitive. I'm just so damned happy that the line has finally been remade and that GW is keeping their promise. We also have more kits coming as well! Looks like we'll have a full line in no time! Plus we are getting the best looking LE Codex I've seen so far. Can't wait to pre-order my box! So excited right now!

Edit: I really don't feel good about saying this but it almost feels like there are a lot of band-wagoners that were hoping this line would just be a dominant power house. News Flash. Sisters never were a power house and never will be. They are not a flagship army. They fill a niche role. They were already awesome and are even more so now. Move onto the next army and leave this alone. GW has done an amazing job with this recreation of one of my favorite factions since their original release.

Tbf, we can only judge the information we have and on paper these are utterly useless. 2 dice per turn plus a mediocre bonus if you stick entirely to mediocre sisters units.

People aren't wrong to see that and go 'That sucks' because it does. Yeah it's ignoring the POTENTIAL of it but potential is hard to judge.

I'm in sort of a zen spaceright now because I see the up it could go, but people aren't wrong seeing it staying this level or going down because those are also reasonably likely outcomes.

Positivity is fine but so is negativity(for now), because ultimately they both have no basis in reality. It's not 'better' to be delusional than it is to be defeatist.

Also you're factually wrong in your condescending, 'learn your place slime!, be happy with your maggoty gruel' newsflash. Index Sisters were ridiculous, the only reason you didn't see more of them was because it was an incredibly expensive army to build, they were competitive up until the rule of 3 took our legs out from under us.

I hope there is a bit more to the Miracle Dice than just replacing a dice with a pre-determined one

Low dice rolls in 40k are nearly always bad so any generated Miracle Dice that come out between 1 and 3 in most cases will just be useless and forgotten.

If we are lucky there will be an extra system a bit like the old Act of Faith system that will allow the battle sisters to use up a dice to try and activate a bigger unit wide effect.

Also you're factually wrong in your condescending, 'learn your place slime!, be happy with your maggoty gruel' newsflash. Index Sisters were ridiculous, the only reason you didn't see more of them was because it was an incredibly expensive army to build, they were competitive up until the rule of 3 took our legs out from under us.

Fair enough. But I still don't think they were designed to be competitive, pretty much ever. I stand by my statement. I feel bad about it but I stand by it. Armies that are designed to do well in tournaments have a unique feel to them. Sisters have always lacked that super-punch from everything I've seen. But they make up for it with style and cool. It is a really awesome army with tons of fluff to build your own army and enjoy narrative games. But expecting something like Iron Hands or Eldar out of Sisters just seems foolish to me. 

Still. People need to vent somewhere. I suppose here is as good as anywhere. Just wish people were not so negative about it. There are a lot of people that are super happy about the rules and since they are not posting as much it just seems like the over-all consensus is negative when it most likely is not. Perhaps this is a misconception that only I am making. Perhaps me saying those things wasn't helpful at all. But I am super excited for Sisters and all of my friends that have been playing them since their release. The line needed to be redone and they got a new codex in the new version of 8th. They are set for a good long while now. It is not like CSM that got a codex update then SM 2.0 got released and just put the CSM in a horrible spot immediately. 

I can't say that I meant no offense. It would be silly of me to say that. But seriously. Just wait for the codex before creating a dumpster fire on rules that we only have snippets of. Also, I am pretty sure it has been explained more than once. They get far more than 2 dice per turn if you are referring to miracle dice.

I hope there is a bit more to the Miracle Dice than just replacing a dice with a pre-determined one

Low dice rolls in 40k are nearly always bad so any generated Miracle Dice that come out between 1 and 3 in most cases will just be useless and forgotten.

If we are lucky there will be an extra system a bit like the old Act of Faith system that will allow the battle sisters to use up a dice to try and activate a bigger unit wide effect.

You can use them for morale tests. They are not useless at all.

I know what you're trying to say, but some corrections:

1) Base, you can't get Miracle points during your opponent's shooting phase. Even then, Sisters aren't likely to stand up to much in melee combat even with the Passion.

2) The odds of getting two Miracle Dice in the Morale phase of a single battle round are 1:36, and because Miracle Dice are the new AoF you can't use a Miracle Die 1 on Morale to generate a Miracle Die. If you go second and take a Morale test every player turn starting with your opponent's turn 1, the odds of generating a Miracle point every Morale Phase for four entire battle rounds are about 1 in 1.68 million assuming 1 morale test per turn.

You should really go back and re-read the Gaining Miracle Dice box again.

SACRIFICE says you gain a miracle dice if a character is destroyed.

Your opponent can shoot your units in his shooting phase... one of those units could be a character... most people when they start shooting something, keep shooting it until it is destroyed.

So yes you could gain a point in your opponent's shooting phase.  Unless you think that your opponent is going to actively work to not give you Miracle dice, because they would rather you keep your Character Auras.

As to you point about the Morale phase.  If you are in CC during both the top and bottom of the turn, and considering your opinion about how bad we are in CC, then it shouldn't be hard for you to lose enough models to require a morale check.  You then have 1/6 chance per unit to roll that 1 each morale phase.

I don't expect that I'll get all 8 dice each turn.  But I do expect that I'll get most from Shooting, CC and Sacrifice.  I expect less to come from Morale and Deny the Witch.  And I expect that I will average 4-5 every turn.  Because while the Arco and PE probably won't have Faith, Exorcists, Immolators, and repentia will.

And then there are the NEW NEVER BEFORE SEEN UNITS that we just don't have any information about yet.

EDIT - You messed up on the math to get the 1/36.  While yes the chance of rolling two 1s on two dice is 1/36 that is not the math problem in place here.  Every unit that lost models at any point during the turn has a chance to roll morale.  And every time you roll morale you have a 1/6 chance of rolling a 1.  Now I can only score 1 point in each morale phase, but I can take as many chances as I want to score that point.  So the more units that get to roll morale bring the chance of any of the rolls being a 1 closer to 100% not further away.

Edited by ValourousHeart

(Incredibly toxic reply ngl.)

How you killin stuff in THEIR shooting phase? How you killin stuff in ANY combat phase? Arcos and pengines don't get dice. There's 0 chance you get 5. You'll average maybe 2.5 per turn across 4 turns against a non-psychic army and 3 against a psychic army (you still have to deny the cast).

For reference Tzeentch START with NINE. Which considering they have higher value in early turns is a bit stronger than generating 3-4 per turn, even though you end up with more dice.( plus they can generate more also).

The sacred rites are borderline. These ones are subpar. 5+ to be out of range to shoot something and a close combat bonus for an army that can't really close combat don't equal universal -1 rend. It still has potential, but it's off to a shaky start. Also, only 2 armies have to give something up to take a knight.

Only if they roll a 5 or lower. Although if brazier stays it's actually pretty awesome.

You generate dice when 1 of 4 things happen.

• You kill a unit - this could happen in your shooting phase or either CC phase (good chance in all 3 phases)
  • One of your characters die - This could happen in their shooting phase or either CC phase (good chance in all 3 phases)
  • You deny a psychic power - Their psychic phase (a chance, not a great chance, but a chance none the less)
  • You roll a 1 for Morale (Again not a great chance)
I just have to have 1 sister cause 1 wound in CC.  It doesn't matter if all of the other wounds were caused by Arcos and PE, or by shooting.

Over in the Dark Angels forum Grim Resolve was looked at poorly, until people figured out that they didn't need to camp a captain by their Hellblasters or Devistators, because those units were always going to stand still and so would always have re-roll 1s to hit.

Spirit of the Martyr is a FREE ancient banner.  How many marine players would like to have the ancient banner applied to their entire army for free?

I think you are wrong about the only 2 armies.  All Marine codexes have to give up something to take knights, including Chaos Marines, so that is far more than 2 armies.  I am pretty sure that both IG and AM have to give up their equivalent to chapter tactics and defenders of humanity.

Knights also give up quite a lot for not fielding a one codex army.  Now you might not care about what you are giving up or you could be building a list that those buffs don't matter, but that is not the same thing as not having to give anything up.

You have very little chance of killing a unit with an AoF unit in your combat phase and nearly 0 chance in theirs. Even running repentia there's no guarantee they'll actually fully kill the unit or even survive to get into combat.

We don't know that that's how the rule will actually work and the chances of you doing a wound to something an Arco charges are pretty bad because you'd either be hoping the arcos didn't just wipe whatever they're fighting but the sisters COULD or you'd fight with the sisters first and lose your arcos to the interrupt.

Getting one dice for a character dying doesn't really count because if your characters are dying you're probably losing. It's a sad consolation prize.

None of those armies have to give up anything. Chaos don't, IG don't admech don't, even non-codex marines don't. It doesn't break their chapter tactics. Only 2 armies have doctrine equivs, us and codex marines. Knights don't give up much of anything. Sorry for pedanry's sake they don't give up anything RELEVANT. They can still take 2 armigers to get a full detachment and even if they don't, 2 cp gets you a warlord trait and relic. All you lose is household traits and those don't do much. That's why a Single Castellan was so powerful for so long.

0 marine players would take a worse ancient banner over universal -1 rend on their preferred weapons and nothing is ever free. Oportunity cost always exists. You're either missing out on allies or the hope of better doctrines. Considering our best weapons are 12" range, the value of this 5+ to shoot is suspect. The other one is only really strong if we have strong CQC options.

I disagree with people who say the system sucks, it's a strong core to build off of with characters, warlord traits, strats, etc.

I ALSO disagree with people who exaggerate what we've seen so far into something it's not. It's a strong base to build more rules off of, it is not '5 reliable dice plus free stuff.'

There is also the possibility that there will be a way to give us a 2d6 deny ability as well as the 4+ deny strategem we might get to keep. I'm interested, convictions tooled with this in mind rather than the beta AoF could be fun. Will be waiting to see how it rolls out.

I know of a Sisters set of plastics who's fate is going to be determined by the results.

Chapter tactics are per detachment -- this is the same as the new doctrines...

That said, the d6 isn't really a chance, most psychic powers go off on a 6 or higher, meaning even if you roll a 6 you can't deny it.

In fact, smite is a 5 and is one of the only powers you can use it against. You have a 3% chance of it occuring, which is roughly the chance of a 20 on a d20, and then rolling a 12+.

We've already had that, since the index! most people just forgot because it is never used.

Yes all armies have certain rules for the units, and then extra rules for the chapter, and then still extra rules if all of your units are from that one chapter.

Not sure why this is good enough for everyone else but is garbage for Sisters.

My point wasn't that this means we are immune to psykers.

My point was that this makes us better than an army that doesn't take a psyker.

And we still don't know how else the codex modifies that ability.

The beta codex had a relic that made it a 2d6 roll within an aura, so we can expect at least that, but more than likely there will be other modifiers as well.

OH NO!!! You mean I have to take a battle forged army with all of my units have the same Space Marine Chapter in order to get Defenders of Humanity and Chapter Tactics.

Yeah, but it sucks a little harder when your codex and supplements don't give you around 300 units to pick from. 

Hate on that 1d6 all you want, but it is still a better chance to deny the witch than any other unit that isn't a psyker gets.

Specifically it's a 0.0185% chance to deny the first smite cast each round.

And again, it sucks a little harder when you don't have several dozen alternate deny the witch sources. Though at least there is an inquisitor update now if the relic is gone.

300 units?  There are only 76 units in the SM codex.  The Raven Guard supplement only added 1 new unit.  There is no way that the UM, WS, IH, IF, and SAL have 223 between them.

And Space Marines don't have several dozen alternate sources to deny the witch.  They have 4 librarians, 1 chapter tactic, and 1 relic in the main codex.  And all 6 supplements probably only add 1-2 more options along with Tigger.

Sisters have 1 army wide rule that we know of so far.

What we don't know yet are 1) the other sacred rites, 2) Orders, 3) Relics, and 4) NEW NEVER BEFORE SEEN UNITS.  Who knows we might even have some other things that modify it.

The point is that there is far more that you DON'T KNOW about what is in the codex than what you DO KNOW.  So it is a bit premature to go all gloom and doom.

Including fw, space Marines have around 130 datasheets, without counting dark angels, blood angels, Swolves, etc.

You are also wrong about chapter tactics -- Marines get this regardless if you take a knight or not. Doctrines are what are dependent. Only Marines and sisters have this issue, Sacred Rites and Combat Doctrines are the only "your whole force" is required, not whole detachment.

The reason this matters, is because Marines (w/ fw) have around 130 datasheets, and can fill any role

Sisters have around 20, and lack a lot of roles. In fact, their only long range weapon is the exorcist, and there's a big question of effectiveness on that. Maybe it's been improved significantly, maybe not.

That isn't to say this won't end up being good -- we don't have enough information. If you don't start with any,l miracle dice, and there's no strategem or character to get more, it's practically worthless due to its insanely random nature (roll a six, it's great, roll a 1 and you'll never use it)

If you start with say, 1 per 10 sisters, it's now over powered, since a walking church can have 100 sisters, and even a few sixes will make Melta guns or Exorcists super dangerous.

I know what you're trying to say, but some corrections:

1) Base, you can't get Miracle points during your opponent's shooting phase. Even then, Sisters aren't likely to stand up to much in melee combat even with the Passion.

2) The odds of getting two Miracle Dice in the Morale phase of a single battle round are 1:36, and because Miracle Dice are the new AoF you can't use a Miracle Die 1 on Morale to generate a Miracle Die. If you go second and take a Morale test every player turn starting with your opponent's turn 1, the odds of generating a Miracle point every Morale Phase for four entire battle rounds are about 1 in 1.68 million assuming 1 morale test per turn.

You should really go back and re-read the Gaining Miracle Dice box again.

SACRIFICE says you gain a miracle dice if a character is destroyed.

Your opponent can shoot your units in his shooting phase... one of those units could be a character... most people when they start shooting something, keep shooting it until it is destroyed.

So yes you could gain a point in your opponent's shooting phase.  Unless you think that your opponent is going to actively work to not give you Miracle dice, because they would rather you keep your Character Auras.

As to you point about the Morale phase.  If you are in CC during both the top and bottom of the turn, and considering your opinion about how bad we are in CC, then it shouldn't be hard for you to lose enough models to require a morale check.  You then have 1/6 chance per unit to roll that 1 each morale phase.

I don't expect that I'll get all 8 dice each turn.  But I do expect that I'll get most from Shooting, CC and Sacrifice.  I expect less to come from Morale and Deny the Witch.  And I expect that I will average 4-5 every turn.  Because while the Arco and PE probably won't have Faith, Exorcists, Immolators, and repentia will.

And then there are the NEW NEVER BEFORE SEEN UNITS that we just don't have any information about yet.

EDIT - You messed up on the math to get the 1/36.  While yes the chance of rolling two 1s on two dice is 1/36 that is not the math problem in place here.  Every unit that lost models at any point during the turn has a chance to roll morale.  And every time you roll morale you have a 1/6 chance of rolling a 1.  Now I can only score 1 point in each morale phase, but I can take as many chances as I want to score that point.  So the more units that get to roll morale bring the chance of any of the rolls being a 1 closer to 100% not further away.

I kept it simple for a number of reasons, including the fact that with an army that generally runs MSU, you're either making a morale test for a lone model from a unit (who no longer needs to take morale if they pass), not making a morale test at all, or the unit is wiped out.

Question: why are people saying you can get up to 8 MD per turn? The box says you get 1 at the start of the turn and 1 if 1 or more of the following conditions are met. So it's not 1 extra per condition, its 1 regardless of whether 1 or all of the conditions are met?

Edit: Never mind, its after each Phase?

So the conditions could theoretically be filled in the following:

Vengeance: Shooting, Fight, Enemy Charge (overwatch), Enemy Fight

Sacrifice: Charge (enemy overwatch), Fight, Enemy Shooting, Enemy Fight

Purity: Enemy Psychic

Valour: Morale

So 1 basic + 10 potential (but very unlikely)? Is that right?

Question: why are people saying you can get up to 8 MD per turn? The box says you get 1 at the start of the turn and 1 if 1 or more of the following conditions are met. So it's not 1 extra per condition, its 1 regardless of whether 1 or all of the conditions are met?

It says "Gain 1 at the end of a phase if one or more of the following is met during that phase"

So there are opportunities to score 1 in each phase with a max of 8 per battle round.

And here is the break down.

You get 1 at the start of the battle round.

Your shooting phase (Vengeance) - good / great chance

Your CC phase (Vengeance and Sacrifice) - great chance (one of you is going to die, so put a character in there)

Your Morale phase (Valor) - low chance (moderate if you have units in CC)

Your opponent Pyschic phase (Purity) - low chance

Your opponents shooting phase (Sacrifice) - moderate chance

Your opponents CC phase (Vengeance and Sacrifice) - great chance (one of you is going to die, so put a character in there)

Your opponents morale phase (Valor) - moderate chance

Repeat

40kSoBPreview-Nov12-MiracleDice1tsc.jpg

Fair enough. But I still don't think they were designed to be competitive, pretty much ever.

This is nonsensical. "They were bad, they should always be bad"? Not that they always even were. But overall this makes as much sense as saying they were never plastic, so they shouldn't be plastic.

300 units?  There are only 76 units in the SM codex.  The Raven Guard supplement only added 1 new unit.  There is no way that the UM, WS, IH, IF, and SAL have 223 between them.

It was hyperbole. There are so many marine supplements I couldn't tell you what the actual total was, though you are looking at 70+ just from forgeworld, so perhaps 200 would be a better guess.

More to the point they have options for just about everything. Sisters don't, at least not in the beta. As a non-allied force it'll be interesting to see if the new codex comes with options for things like shooting at characters, or inflicting mortal wounds, or just having more than one lone option when it comes to things like deepstrikes or long range shooting.

Here's a thought:

What if your Army's startting pool of Miracle Dice are determined in a manner similar to the present rules for determining an Army's amount of Faith points? That is, the number of starting Miracle Dice are determined by your Army composition. 

I'm not saying the mechanic will be precisely the same, but perhaps something quite similar. That would be quite useful.

I am also wondering if there is a limit on how many Miracle Dice you may use per Phase.