BSB Speculation

ERJAK

This is not at all what I was expecting, should be exciting to read some new rules, but I'm concerned about the Exorcist change. I mean it'd be nice if they were more of a centerpiece model (ie higher point cost by a bit) but that change to the launcher doesn't sound like too much of a buff. I suppose the average number of shots is 6 now, so maybe it'll be good enough to justify the cost.

At first I'd assumed Miracle Dice would be something in addition to more traditional Acts of Faith, but it looks like I was wrong on that count. :biggrin.: The limit of using 1 per phase feels a bit arbitrary, are they really going to be that powerful? Or are the Sacred Rites bonuses enough to compensate?

One act of faith per phase, but can spend any number of Miracle Dice per Act of Faith

The only way to re-roll Miracle Dice is through Command Points.

Incensor Cherubs: Available to BSS, Dominions, Celestians

Retributors can take up to two Armorium Cherubs, which work exactly like the Devastator Marine version.

Edit:

Vehicles get Order Convictions now, but most of them don't seem very good for vehicles

-OoML: Gain a MD when a vehicle is destroyed (once/phase). The +1 does nothing since the only vehicle squadrons are Mortifiers and Penitent Engines and they don't get Convictions

-Valorous Heart: More survivable vehicles. 6+ FNP vs non-mortal wounds. AP -1 reduced to AP 0, AP -2 reduced to AP 0 if within 6" of a Dialogus

-Bloody Rose: Really only useful for a Repressor charging since the AP bonus is only for pistols and melee weapons

-Ebon Chalice: 5+ FNP vs mortal wounds, can discard miracle dice to guarantee a 6 on an AoF. Doesn't work with number of shots for flamers or the various exorcist launchers

-Argent Shroud: Vehicles can advance and still shoot.

-Sacred Rose: 5+ regain a MD. 5+ OW

Edited by taikishi

Advance & Shoot for Argent Immolators seems nice indeed. Good threat range.

So, the hovering pulpit of doom. From what little I looked at the GMG video, it improves Shield of Faith by +1 for all Sisters, but rerolls of 1s only for OooML. So kinda works for a mixed-Order army, buuut... could only be taken in an OooML detachment I assume.

It makes Heavy Bolter and Multi-melta Immos more worthwhile, even if they still get -1 to-hit. But Argent Shroud Repressors just got a whole lot  better. Especially with Dominions and Retributors. Pre-game move to redeploy. T1 advance, torch with heavy flamers. Squad inside lights up whatever - and for Dominions they're even more likely to be in melta-range.

Immo flamers can always advance and shoot - they’re assault.

True, but personally I've mostly used multi-meltas since I've not had enough melta-wielding infantry... only two normal meltas and one multi-melta, in fact, and the latter hasn't even been on the table yet.

Triumph is order independent and contains relics from all six orders (pick 5). Doesn't have a convinction but doesn't break them, either.

Missionaries and preachers still don't have weapon options that I can tell.

As far as pintle storm bolters go, wouldn't that be considered a situation where index permits a weapon option not in the codex and is therefore legal?

Yeah, they missed the bus on generic HQs and more than 1 Troops choice.

Not to mention 12 elites (out of 27 data sheets inc 2 special characters and 2 transports)...aka pretty much 50% of our codex is in the elite slot still!

Why oh why didn’t they move some of them round?

HQ choices that aren't order specific seem to be the cannoness, Celestine, and the Triumph of Saint Katherine, as well as the missionary.  The girl on the pulpit is now technically our only Order specific named character, although Celestine and the triumph are technically named characters as well they just aren't order specific.  

They could have made zephyrim fast attack.

Would that really matter? Then they'd probably have made them not-veterans and useless. A battalion has 6 elite slots, and generally speaking you'd want to run at least dual battalion anyway for the CP, so it's not like you're short for elite slots. I'm also not sure what else you'd even have in the troop slot that'd "fit" the army.

It's also a bit disappointing that canonesses have lost the eviscerator. I'll still be using the index option as long as possible, though.

Oh, son of a... I never thought I'd have to use the Index ever again, but if that's how they want it, they'll get it.

And the power axe apparently ...and where the :cuss: is a generic hq who’s not footslogging?

Personally despite the things we've lost so far, at first glance I think there are really solid stratagems and warlord traits that synergize well with the army, and I think the Exorcist despite going up in points and losing AP-4 is going to be a consistently scary Tank with 3-9 and 3-18 shots for each of its weapons, with the ability to reroll those dice using that 1CP. I think roughly 75% of this book is solidly playable and, dare I say, upper mid tier!

It offers 1 extra miracle die per battle round. The GMG review misread the entry by saying it gave a Miracle Die to each unit. I had to pause the video and read the entry for myself.

Exorcist:

Two turret options (buy one or the other):

* 3d3 S8 d6 damage -3 save

* 3d6 S5 1 damage -2 save

The hull mounted heavy bolter on the Exorcist and Immolator are not optional and cannot be upgraded.

It's built in cover and a dice for 50pts. That's not bad for infantry heavy lists.

Not arguing it, just wanting people to realize the GMG review misread the entry when he said it was MD for every Ministorum unit within 6". +1MD per battle round + cover + the other abilities isn't bad for 50 points. Not sure it's something I'd take because I prefer mech lists and still believe in "boys over toys".