What’s missing from the Primaris line?

Further, how did our infiltrators get deployed before we have a landing zone? So right away, we begin to run into potential issues. Moving on, we can assume that the Primaris Marines establish a landing zone, and head out to the next target. Which brings up the question: how do they get to the next target? I already think that there aren't enough Repulsors (since I expect them to be expensive to build), so perhaps the Primaris Marines march to their next destination. Trouble with this is that I would expect that rearming and resupplying are harder on the march; not impossible, but still. Similarly, the Primaris Marines are likely slower than the Repulsors so it'll take more time to get into position. The other option would be to mount up in the Overlords/Thunderhawks/whatever and push the offensive that way, but then the Primaris Marines are constantly completing orbital/paratrooper drops. I'll freely admit that this method of warfighting could very well work, but it also seems somewhat wasteful especially if the next target is only a few hundred kilometers away. Overall, the Primaris way of war feels less consistent and vaguely unsatisfying.

In the only fluff we have for them it's Reivers who secured the landing zone for the Vanguard Primaris (so kinda the reverse of how it works in the game). Also I don't see why their traveling needs can't be covered by just the Overlord and Repulsors. Is the target far away use the Overlord, is the target close-ish use the Repulsor.

Re: Idaho

Depends on the assault unit. The most credible Astartes assault units aren't really spamming Rhinos anyways.

It's funny when we all talk about Assault units from the classic Astartes like they are some crucial element of the army. Unless you're playing Wolves or BA they're all rubbish. They weren't good in 5th, 6th or 7th either...

I'm hoping Primaris don't repeat the existing designs and give us something new. Lance jet-bikers, jump pack Terminator style units, something like that.

Certainly a different topic there but I'd say Vanguard Veterans are quite tasty in taking on opponents. It's the other problems inherent in the game and Marines that are the problem.

Regardless, that's my point - there's no need for a transport for Primaris because they don't have a unit that needs to use one to function. If there is a new release of Primaris that works as a credible assault unit then a cheaper transport becomes essential.

I have a feeling the overlord is going to be scaled down, I forget where I read it, but they said the overlord in dark imperium was to large, and in newer books it's going to be smaller

I vaguely remember something about this also, but why not simply create a new flyer and keep the Overlord in the Lore as the Tunderhawk 2.0?

Honestly, I want the Primaris Techmarine, and I want a TFC type artillery piece, and/or a conversion beamer. Give the Primaris Techmarine a grav bike so he can keep up with the repulsor. Also, give the artillery gunner different shells, like tremor shells, smoke to support friendlies, and flares to debuff enemies (by cancelling -1 to hit, reroll number of shots when targeting a unit hit by flares, negating cover, etc). Also, give the Primaris Techmarine an aura buff, like +1 cover if on the same piece of terrain as PTM and within 6". And a stratagem that if a character dies, and there is a Primaris Techmarine AND Primaris Apothecary within 3", then that character comes back as if the revive roll was passed, and with 6+ FNP, or +1FNP if he already had it already. Of course that would be one use only, but it would be great. Because it's fluffy to imagine field surgery on a fallen officer, bionics hastly installed then and there, and then that new eye lights up, and he is ready to finish what he started.

Also, how about a melee dreadnought like the Ironclad?

I have a feeling the overlord is going to be scaled down, I forget where I read it, but they said the overlord in dark imperium was to large, and in newer books it's going to be smaller

I vaguely remember something about this also, but why not simply create a new flyer and keep the Overlord in the Lore as the Tunderhawk 2.0?
Because they are super structured and planned out. I think the overlord initally was a t hawk replacement but as the design advanced might of shrunk down to an actual production model. And lore would be altered to fit the plastic model.

Side note.

Suppressor fire support, and whirlwind hit the targets.

Was a line in dark imperium when the primaris we're assaulting the swamps.

I wonder if suppressors we're supposed to come out earlier

Honestly, I want the Primaris Techmarine, and I want a TFC type artillery piece, and/or a conversion beamer. Give the Primaris Techmarine a grav bike so he can keep up with the repulsor. Also, give the artillery gunner different shells, like tremor shells, smoke to support friendlies, and flares to debuff enemies (by cancelling -1 to hit, reroll number of shots when targeting a unit hit by flares, negating cover, etc). Also, give the Primaris Techmarine an aura buff, like +1 cover if on the same piece of terrain as PTM and within 6". And a stratagem that if a character dies, and there is a Primaris Techmarine AND Primaris Apothecary within 3", then that character comes back as if the revive roll was passed, and with 6+ FNP, or +1FNP if he already had it already. Of course that would be one use only, but it would be great. Because it's fluffy to imagine field surgery on a fallen officer, bionics hastly installed then and there, and then that new eye lights up, and he is ready to finish what he started.

Also, how about a melee dreadnought like the Ironclad?

I'd love to see a specialized grav/repulsor vehicle for the techmarines. Not just a bike, but a weird moving repair vehicle. 2d3 repair roles. A crane, some servo arms

Edited by Triszin

Side note.

Suppressor fire support, and whirlwind hit the targets.

Was a line in dark imperium when the primaris we're assaulting the swamps.

I wonder if suppressors we're supposed to come out earlier

Would make sense. It's the only real long ranged unit Primaris have so far (Heavy Hellblaster and Heavy Intercessors barely count) and it's the only non-Vanguard unit in the Shadowspear box so it thematically doesn't quite fit there. They probably switched Reivers and Suppressors 'shortly' before the initial release of Primaris to showcase the Phobos armour alongside the Tacticus and Gravis armour so we immediately get a full picture of what we're going to get in the future and to not give us two different Jump Pack units in one go.

I think the biggest argument against Primaris needing a cheap transport (especially for any assault units we may get) is simply the way transports work. With no assault vehicle type rule, having to disembark before it moves is rubbish for an assault unit and isn’t much good for any other units either.

However if enough people want a cheap transport then people obviously think there’s a need there and arguing they don’t need it is trying to impose a particular playstyle on them which is unfair. I’d actually argue they need it more than the several minutely different versions of a bolter that they have access to across the range.

However if enough people want a cheap transport then people obviously think there’s a need there and arguing they don’t need it is trying to impose a particular playstyle on them which is unfair.

That's up to debate. Wanting something doesn't mean it's needed. Just that it's wanted. Hence why those are two different words with two different meanings. There are also always people who want melee battlesuits for T'au but nobody would ever argue that those are really needed obviously.

About forcing a particular playstyle on people ... that's on GW. They decide on how they think a particular army should be played on the board and give rules to make it happen. We, as in the people arguing against a cheap transport, aren't trying to force any particular playstyle on anybody. We are arguing with the current unit lineup in mind and nothing more.

However if enough people want a cheap transport then people obviously think there’s a need there and arguing they don’t need it is trying to impose a particular playstyle on them which is unfair.

That's up to debate. Wanting something doesn't mean it's needed. Just that it's wanted. Hence why those are two different words with two different meanings. There are also always people who want melee battlesuits for T'au but nobody would ever argue that those are really needed obviously.

About forcing a particular playstyle on people ... that's on GW. They decide on how they think a particular army should be played on the board and give rules to make it happen. We, as in the people arguing against a cheap transport, aren't trying to force any particular playstyle on anybody. We are arguing with the current unit lineup in mind and nothing more.

Perhaps I should rephrase: if enough people, when specifically asked what they think Primaris need, say they think they need a cheap transport (as they have in this thread) then that carries weight as to what is needed.

The answers to why they don’t need transports are all based around being able to use infiltrators and deep strike various units. That’s forcing people to play that way. Personally I’ve never seen Space Marines as special-ops infiltrators and quasi-ninjas using batman/spiderman tech to get around the battlefield and I don’t want to play them that way. Yet a lack of transport options forces me to embrace that.

If I want a Primaris army composed mainly of intercessors, hellblasters, maybe some dreads then I do have a real transport problem because my only option is seriously expensive.

EDIT - As I said though, the rules around transports are enough to hamstring any cheap transports they do get anyway so for me there’s no real winner either way.

Edited by MARK0SIAN

Once again I'm unfashionably late to the party:blush.: I had a whole list of Primaris stuff that I think are missing from the current line that would better round them out on the game table when I went back to the top of page one and the original topic.....

I’ve been thinking about the boxes upon boxes of unopened of classic Marines and trying to decide if I’ll ever get to them, or if I even should. Any time spent on a tactical squad is time I could spend on intercessors. so I’m trying to get some thoughts from players who have fully embraced Primaris Marines on what if any old Marines do the Primaris still need. (in the sense that they don’t have an equivalent and or still need that role filled)

Seems to me the original topic was simply Old Space Marines (OSM's) filling roles that we don't have for Primaris.

If you've got lots of boxes of OSM stuff and now want to use some to supplement your Primaris, this is what I would do (and this is by no means all inclusive).

Troops: Sell off those Tactical OSM's and Scouts. Intercessors, Reivers, and Vanguard have pretty much replaced them.

Fast Attack: Assault OSM's can go too. We haven't had good rules for these guys since about 3rd Ed. anyway:sad.: Bikes and Speeders...…...maaybeee keep those. But in all honesty they are pretty weak under the current rules...… OKAY, toss those too.

Heavy Support: Devastators outfitted for long range support (lascannons and missile launchers) can still be useful. Whirlwinds are still a favorite of mine for long range support. I still like Vindicators with the big ol' demolisher cannon and dozer blade for certain scenarios.

Flyers: Primaris are also weak in this department so you can probably hold on to those for a while..... although I'm throwing my pennies into the local wishing well and hoping for a Primaris version of the Stormraven in the nearish future.

Like I said, this is not a complete list, but everything I've mentioned should fill in some missing holes until the Primaris gaps are filled in over the next ten years or so:unsure.:

Perhaps I should rephrase: if enough people, when specifically asked what they think Primaris need, say they think they need a cheap transport (as they have in this thread) then that carries weight as to what is needed.

The answers to why they don’t need transports are all based around being able to use infiltrators and deep strike various units. That’s forcing people to play that way. Personally I’ve never seen Space Marines as special-ops infiltrators and quasi-ninjas using batman/spiderman tech to get around the battlefield and I don’t want to play them that way. Yet a lack of transport options forces me to embrace that.

If I want a Primaris army composed mainly of intercessors, hellblasters, maybe some dreads then I do have a real transport problem because my only option is seriously expensive.

EDIT - As I said though, the rules around transports are enough to hamstring any cheap transports they do get anyway so for me there’s no real winner either way.

If you decide to not take half of the available units then you are just gimping yourself and that's completely on you though.

I'm playing T'au with mostly Stealth Suits, Kroot and Pathfinders and my only heavy hitters are two Broadsides and a Ghostkeel, but you don't see me complaining about not being able to do the same things as a T'au list with Riptides, Firewarriors, Piranhas, Devilfishes and co.

GW gives us the tools in form of units. GW dictates how an army is supposed to work (sometimes more and sometimes less successfully). If we don't use those tools for whatever reason then it's our decision and that's completely fine but then we aren't really in a position to complain or demand things. You don't have to use Infiltrators or Reivers with grapple hooks. You still have Inceptors, Suppressors and Reivers with grav-chutes though. You don't have to use Repulsors, but it seems that's what GW has decided to be how Primaris go around on the battlefield unless they have alternative means, so not using it is swimming against the current which is obviously never optimal.

Not every army can do everything and it seems like Primaris can't deploy footslogging infantry in cheap transports but since they DO have access to a transport to get those footslogging infantry around and DO have alternative means of deployment for lots of their infantry they DON'T need it a cheap transport. It's really just something some people want. How many people want it is hard to tell for sure since this is just a small part of the 40k community and even here we have mixed opinions.

If you decide to not take half of the available units then you are just gimping yourself and that's completely on you though.

I'm playing T'au with mostly Stealth Suits, Kroot and Pathfinders and my only heavy hitters are two Broadsides and a Ghostkeel, but you don't see me complaining about not being able to do the same things as a T'au list with Riptides, Firewarriors, Piranhas, Devilfishes and co.

GW gives us the tools in form of units. GW dictates how an army is supposed to work (sometimes more and sometimes less successfully). If we don't use those tools for whatever reason then it's our decision and that's completely fine but then we aren't really in a position to complain or demand things. You don't have to use Infiltrators or Reivers with grapple hooks. You still have Inceptors, Suppressors and Reivers with grav-chutes though. You don't have to use Repulsors, but it seems that's what GW has decided to be how Primaris go around on the battlefield unless they have alternative means, so not using it is swimming against the current which is obviously never optimal.

Not every army can do everything and it seems like Primaris can't deploy footslogging infantry in cheap transports but since they DO have access to a transport to get those footslogging infantry around and DO have alternative means of deployment for lots of their infantry they DON'T need it a cheap transport. It's really just something some people want. How many people want it is hard to tell for sure since this is just a small part of the 40k community and even here we have mixed opinions.

But this thread is specifically about what we want and what we think is missing from the Primaris line. I think the units that allow me to play the army the way I want are missing from the Primaris range. If this isn’t the place to say that then I don’t know what is. The other side is that I’m not asking to play marines in a radically different way than they’ve been played in the past. To take your example I’m not wanting to turn tau into a melee army. I’m asking that they can be played in a way that isn’t reliant on infiltrators and reivers to be able to cover the board.

Now you may be right and this is the direction GW wants to go with Primaris but for me it takes Marines a long way from what they have always been. Heresy is very different to 40k marines but the marines and their way of war is still very recognisably ‘Marine’ and I would prefer that I was able to replicate that with Primaris. Part of that means not being reliant on stealthy units. So this thread is surely the place to say what’s missing and that is, having more than one option for how I can build the list.

But this thread is specifically about what we want and what we think is missing from the Primaris line. I think the units that allow me to play the army the way I want are missing from the Primaris range. If this isn’t the place to say that then I don’t know what is. The other side is that I’m not asking to play marines in a radically different way than they’ve been played in the past. To take your example I’m not wanting to turn tau into a melee army. I’m asking that they can be played in a way that isn’t reliant on infiltrators and reivers to be able to cover the board.

Now you may be right and this is the direction GW wants to go with Primaris but for me it takes Marines a long way from what they have always been. Heresy is very different to 40k marines but the marines and their way of war is still very recognisably ‘Marine’ and I would prefer that I was able to replicate that with Primaris. Part of that means not being reliant on stealthy units. So this thread is surely the place to say what’s missing and that is, having more than one option for how I can build the list.

Well I'm not saying anything against what people want. I'm just arguing against it being needed. Once we get units that actually don't work without a cheap transport then I'll agree such a thing is needed but that has yet to happen. ^^

(also again, you can play perfectly fine without Infiltrators or Reivers. No need for stealthy units in your Primaris army. You seem to focus a lot on not wanting to use those two units, but you still have Inceptors and Suppressors available for your alternative deployment needs)

This thread is not what people want. It’s what roles have yet to be filled. And as brother lunkhead pointed out, it’s also kind of “what do we still need from old marines”

Some people are saying Primaris don’t have a cheap transport, and they are right, they don’t. Others are saying that it doesn’t seem like GW plans on giving them a cheap transport, and I would agree, but this doesn’t need to be discussed any further.

This is not a wish list, this is “what don’t we have”

You are right War Angel. This isn’t a wishlist, it’s a theory-bashing thread based on what battle field roles and capabilities we are missing. We do have some things that can help guide us in a direction.

I don’t want what I’m saying to misconstrued as wishlisting. There are elements of that to be sure, but there are factors, interviews and precedent that should be able to point us into a likely direction.

I’m going to amend what I have said previously. After more thought it’s made me doubt some of my predictions and needed further clarifications on others. Here is some of the principles that are guiding my mind when thinking about what could be coming and what roles they could fill.

1. We for sure have 4 named armor types. In the various interviews given by Jes Goodwin, I came away with the impression that each armor would facilitate a particular style. He even states, and I am paraphrasing, that if you don’t like Phobos armor... hold on we got other stuff coming.

2. I believe the intention of the above is two fold... each suit should have unit variations to be able to fill an entire army of that suit. But at the same time be different enough to justify the variations and potentially lead to cool combinations that arise from mixing and matching units across the spectrum.

Case in point let’s look at Phobos armor. Each unit can add something unique to any space marine army... a troop choice that can infiltrate and deny deep strikes... a fast attack option that can deepstrike and disrupt/bully the enemy’s back field... and a heavy support option that can snipe enemy characters. Don’t get caught up where GW is putting them in the force organization chart... as that can change. Look at what the chapter markings are telling us. So Phobos is obviously the disruption variation.

3. Judging by both Intercessors and Infiltrators... I don’t think the troop choice in the different types will be necessarily flashy. Bolt gun of some kind, unique special rule or options that are relatively minor but allow for an army to be built around.

4. We aren’t going to see any weapon duplication outside what the characters can select... even that is iffy. Auto-Bolt Rifles and Bolt Carbines are the same... but because they are on different units, they look different visually and have a different name. This is done so if a unit needs a buff or nerf, only that unit will be affected. The only place this isn’t true is on vehicles.

5. And I’m inferring this more than anything... but with a minimum of 3 different units across 4 armor types (at least 4 so far with unique delivery rules)... not including characters and special characters... the focus of the Primaris is infantry. I would be shocked if we got anything vehicle wise that’s not a Repulsor or Redemptor derivative. With the Repulsor having fly... I’m even sceptical of something like the Storm Raven even. The only reason I think the Overlord could come is as a Lord of War/Super Heavy that’s not a Forgeworld product. It has void shields and firepower and carries 30 Space Marines in two bays.

6. Whilst Primaris are approaching space marine warfare differently than their traditional predecessors... they are still space marines. And if Primaris are indeed the future of the line, then iconic space marine things need legitimate Primaris counterparts. I’m not talking 1 for 1. The regular space marine is iconic... the intercessor covers that. Space marine scouts are iconic. Exterminators cover that. Predators/rhinos are iconic... repulsors cover that. Dreadnoughts are iconic... and we now have Repulsors. Terminators are iconic... and we don’t have terminators. GW knows this, no aggressor has been shown in 1st Company markings. No aggressor has been painted as Deathwing. They are not Terminator replacements. Another thing we are lacking is bikes. What would a Ravenwing be without bikes and speeders? What does a Primaris White Scar player have to represent born in the saddle? Another thing seriously lacking is chainswords... specifically assault style marines with jump packs... something that looks at home in a Blood Angels army. This feel cannot be lost. Something has to be coming to tick that box.

So with that said let’s get to filling the void. I’m going to try to utilize my points above to give me a guess. I’m gonna skip vehicles. Outside a Repulsor variant that apes the whirlwind/vindicator/siege role and various redemptor load outs I’m not holding my breath. Could be wrong.

Phobos Armor - let’s tackle the suit type that is complete. This line is meant to be the disruptive line. Denying the enemy options and disrupting their backfield.

Infiltrators - Battle Line. Bolt gun toting troop that can infiltrate and deny enemy deep strikes. They will get some kind of weapon option in their individual release... I’m assuming a different bolt gun or something minor like that. Maybe decrease in price some.

Reivers - Fast Attack. Deep Striking bully unit that is meant to disrupt the enemies backfield and can debuff leadership. I expect something coming to make the knives a little better, but not much, either a special rule or a buff to the blade itself.

Exterminators - Heavy Support. Backfield sniper unit. I’m hoping for expanded squad sizes and more importantly I hope not unreasonably that they can swap their sniper rifles for missile launchers with multiple warhead types. An option that allows them to focus on hordes and vehicles.

Tacticus Armor - This is the traditional suit. It’s the general purpose line. Uniquely, both the Intercessors and Hellblasters can configure their one gun in assault/rapid fire/ and heavy configurations. Could this indicate a design principle of this line? No gimmicky rules. The stand up fight space marines. The way dad did it.

Intercessors - Battle Line. The tactical marine replacement. Appears to be influenced by the Horus Heresy stuff. I don’t imagine these guys changing.

Void - Boldthreat’s guess - Fast Attack. At first I was imagining a Breacher equivalent... but I don’t think so anymore. I think that comes somewhere else. I now think it would be something Despoiler influenced. And in my quest to stick to the 1 weapon with multiple configurations... I’m imagining a cawl pattern chainsword with light, medium and heavy configurations. An anti assault/counter charge element meant to tie up the enemy and keep them off your Intercessors and Hellblasters. Bolt pistols.

Hellblasters - Heavy Support. The Devestator replacement, seemingly influenced by both the tactical support squads and heavy support squads of old. I don’t imagine they will change at all.

Gravis Armor - Ah the heavy plate. Not to be confused as Terminator plate. But I think it’s more the second coming of Mark III Iron Armor. This is the zone mortalis Armor. The heavy assault armor of the regular Battle Companies. More survivable, more firepower, more expensive.

Void - Boldthreat’s guess - Battle Line. I initially thought a dedicated assault version of Aggressors. Lightning Claws and thunder hammers. But I don’t think so. Not for a troop choice... especially when Aggressors are already rocking two powerfists on top of more than enough dakka. No it’s here I think the Breacher inspiration is gonna fit. Repulsor shields that make them more difficult to charge... maybe mounted defensive grenades that ape the Breacher shields of old. As far as weaponry, some kind of heavy bolt carbine or pistol? Was not something like that alluded to in one of Jes Goodwins discussions? Maybe the ability to change them out for Power Axes? The anti Reiver. Meant to form the core, slow moving advance of an all Gravis assault that the Aggressors and Inceptors can play off of.

Inceptors - Fast Attack. Heavy drop troops. I don’t imagine them changing. Meant to drop where needed and shoot the heck out of things. I think they are perfect.

Aggressors - Heavy Support. Another unit I don’t foresee changing. They really are comparable to traditional terminators. Enough dakka to clear the chaff and punch the heavy stuff in the mouth. If they can get there.

Omnis Armor - The suit we know the least about... heck it’s probably a one off. But I think it’s the cavalry suit. It’s the fast moving objective grabbers and the guys who can shift to where they are needed the most in response to enemy movement. It’s these guys who invalidate cheap transports and drop pods.

Void - Boldthreat’s guess - Battle Line squad. I think this is where we get the bike troop. Again, some kind of bike mounted bolt gun, maybe swappable with a melta gun. I expect the bikes to be hover bikes with fly and maybe a deepstrike mechanic. Fast. Jink type special rules. The bike and suit work in conjunction in regards to design.

Void - Boldthreat’s guess - Fast Attack. I’m convinced this is the Assault Marine derivative. I’m imagining Suppressors with close combat weapons. Not sure of weaponry. Just a faster moving Assault squad. Something that can go along with a Primaris Shrike or form the generic version of a future Primaris Blood Angel honour guard. Melta bombs for sure! Flame throwers and chainweapons?

Suppressors - Heavy Support. A deep striking devestator type unit. I love them and hope we can buy them in bigger squads. When they get their individual release it would be great if their auto cannons could swap to lascannons. The rest is fine with me.

Lastly I want to tackle Primaris Terminator Plate. Elite, stupidly expensive but true 1st Company Veterans. Inspired by Indomitus, Gorgon and Tarturos plate. Harder to kill than even current terminators. Deep strike via teleportation. Maybe even ignoring any restrictions. Loaded down with defensive grenades, and awesome firepower that makes them great at shooting and assault. A do it all unit that is truly elite. But we are talking expensive.

Granted, I could be way off. More than likely am. But my goal was to try to imagine assault units that could fit within the Points I mentioned above as well as what could potentially fill the voids that are in the Primaris line up... whilst playing homage to iconic Space Marine units that are surely not to be discarded. It’s a fun subject. I hope to continue reading all the opinions of you guys, where you see the voids needing filled and what with. If you made it to the end of this post I want to thank you and ask your forgiveness heh! Hopefully we can all agree the future is fun to think about!

Here's a thought:

The Raven Guard have had a cheap transport for years that has never had a model or even been depicted in art. Largely because it is manufactured on Kiavahr and only Kiavahr.

Perhaps Guilliman or Cawl could convince them to share the whispercutter design with the wider Imperium?

I feel like your also missing the veteran options, but it makes me wonder. What if Primaris don’t have Veterans? I’m truth, if space marines are the imperium finest, how could something be finer than that?

Of course they'll have Veterans. Just like any other Marine they are individuals who amount experiences, have opinions and ideas and so on. With your argumentation there wouldn't be any named characters, Lieutenants, Captains, etc either since they are all "the imperiums finest, how could something be finer than that". Marines aren't clone troopers (which probably end up being different from eachother after a while as well ... I'm not that big into Star Wars lore apart from some movies).

Check out Vigilus. Veteran Intercessors can rapid fire 4 and reroll all misses. It can be devastating.

Yeah but I would rather see a data sheet and rules that are appropriately pointed to reflect this for actual units. There is too much detachment and stratagem bloat when you can just add the rules to the units and increase the points appropriately instead for something like this.