Today in Titanicus I...

I'm betting we'll see the "Warbringer Nemesis Titan with Belicosa Cannon" previewed this coming Sunday, then it will be featured in the next Engine Kill article due next Tuesday. It'll be plastic (why call the first one "Warbringer Nemesis Titan with Quake Cannon" otherwise? I know, that is solid analysis here ... :biggrin.: ).

Might simply be frustration talking too ...

Yeah, I am guessing Questoris-Magaera, Questoris-Styrix and Cerastus-Atrapos as next...unless they pull a quick one and release an Acastus-Asterius...

I envision these in a Mechanicum household box mirroring the knight household battleforce, it is so easy to picture I would not understand if they don't do it.

On another note, I received today the macro gatling blaster that was missing from my FW order. Top notch customer service, just a bit of patience to get an answer and be told replacement would soon leave the warehouse and courier tracking details would follow. And three days later, I have the package and the quality is very good as well :thumbsup:

Now, I just need to find some motivation and start building the weapons.

I'm pleased to see that the design of the bellicosa isn't too different to mine. They've also gone for cooling fins and some kind of tube thingy to replace the quake cannon magazines. I'm happy that my design won't look wrong when the sprue gets released.

Today in titanicus i ordered my first titans. I'm getting hardcore addicted to plastic so obviously I ordered both the grand master box and the starter box...

The plan was to build two sides so I can lure my Brother to play with me.

I'd like to build the two sides a little different, but still fairly balanced sobwe can have spme good games and also swap sides a bit to keep it fresh. Any tips on how I should divide up the sides and if I should be getting more/different stuff?

Welcome to the game Banjohero. Getting the starter and GME is a big step into the game. Congrats!

Your six titans and eight knights will give you plenty to work on for now. There are a couple of options you could consider though.

Resin guns make Warlord titans quite a lot better. The double bellicosa load-out tends to overheat without killing very much, so it's best to change that a bit. I recommend ordering a mori quake cannon and macro gatling cannon from Forgeworld. Giving one of your Warlords a quake cannon will give you a great fire support engine, while the macro gatling is an excellent shield stripper and finisher. Both work pretty well with a bellicosa on the other arm.

While you're at it you might want to get a pair of gatling blasters for a Warlord and a carapace vulcan mega bolter for a Reaver. These aren't really needed, but with FW's postage costs it probably makes sense to get the stuff together.

You could consider getting the sprue for Warlords with two Sunfury arms and the claw. Or maybe check if you can find someone selling a single sunfury. Those are great weapons.

Also get yourself some 5x1mm round N52 magnets. Warlords are expensive and so are their guns, so they are designed to be magnetised. Warlords come with holes ready for these magnets and they'll hold your guns in place very well - even the heavier resin ones. Almost everyone also magnetises reavers and Warhounds using the same magnets.

You'll find that the Reavers and Warhounds come with all the weapons you need. The starter set has one of each Reaver arm weapon and two of each Warhound one. By magnetising these, you'll have lots of ways you can run them, including with or without melee weapons.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend painting your engines as two different legios. You've got a great start for an army there, but not really enough for two of them. There's nothing to stop you having a "training exercise" within the Legio, to try and get your brother into the game. That said, many of us do have two (or more Legios), so I can't really criticise you for doing the same.

I've written some tactical advice here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/357441-principia-titanicus/. More can be found on Goonhammer's Warlord Wednesdays and elsewhere. 

Good luck!

Welcome aboard!

What Mandragola says is excellent advice.

I would say, subject to available budget and maybe not immediately, another starter box as it would boost the number of titans at disposal and allow for various maniples. Also maybe instead of the Warlord weapon sprue with sunfury and claw, the complete warlord titan with sunfury and claw.

Regarding magnets, 5x1mm are a definite, especially for Warlords which come with pre-defined slots. You can also use 3x1mm and 3x2mm for the weapons of Reavers and Warhounds (they require more work as the only pre-defined slot there is for the Reaver's carapace weapon). I have made experiments with many different magnets: 5x1mm, 4x1mm, 3x2mm, 3x1mm, 2x1mm, 1x1mm covering Warlords, Reavers, and Warhounds titans, as well as Questoris, Cerastus and Acastus knights. It is a must for the titans, not really needed for knights (especially with the new types of Cerastus having been released recently and removing the undertainty there was initially between full kit or kit with upgrade).

Have a thorough look at the various plogs here, there are building tips and tricks (beware of the Reaver's legs, they are tricky) and lots of tactical advices.

Eager to see your take on these engines, have fun!

Paint them as the same Legio, just use the loyalist and traitor parts so you can tell the difference, then the lgion can either fight as one, or as a split legio when needed. 

Today in titanicus i ordered my first titans. I'm getting hardcore addicted to plastic so obviously I ordered both the grand master box and the starter box...

The plan was to build two sides so I can lure my Brother to play with me.

I'd like to build the two sides a little different, but still fairly balanced sobwe can have spme good games and also swap sides a bit to keep it fresh. Any tips on how I should divide up the sides and if I should be getting more/different stuff?

Thank you for the kind words and advice!

I'll look into getting a quake and gatling cannon for the warlords. 

Painting them as the same Legio seems solid, I'll do that. I'd rate the chances of my brother getting his own models as... slim. My plan is to eventually end up with two different forces to play with. I had to order some more primer sprays (leadbelcher especially) and I kinda ordered a box of Por... let me check.. Porphyrion knight aswell. They look so cool, kinda reminding me of the ion cannons from star wars.. I heard they are kinda unbalanced, but if both sides have 1 each I figure it will work okay.

So far I'll end up with 2 warlords, 2 reavers, 2 warhounds, 2 lancer knights, 6 normal knights and 2 porphyrion knights. Is there any good way to split these into two sides thats NOT just half and half, to make the sides a little different? I got the starter box delivered last saturday so I've had a look at the rules.. and started building the warhounds and knights. Warhounds are currently waiting for me to get some magnets delivered. My first time using magnets so that will be fun. 

I painted my lancers, just need bases, shields and some weathering. I'm kinda scared to begin weathering them. It will be my first time and I'm scared to :censored: them up..

Some pictures, will make some better ones when I finish something. Kinda unsure on the basing choice, I want a city/asphalt look, will see how this turns out.

http://i.imgur.com/2wNDZhDb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KKALIQEb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/USxrxa6b.jpg

Quick update, longer one will hit my thread once I have loaded the photos to the site. 

This weekend I organised a 6 person event at a very large (thus socialiy distanced) hall. Went 6 rounds of AT, and ran a small narrative. 

In surprise twist, it appears the Free Blade King- Knight household is a real power build. 

• 120245923_621938788492404_83796359379622

•  
Edited by Warsmith Uveron

Did some more work. Finished up my two knights to 95%, need to do some weathering (im scared!) and fix up where the glue shows on the bases. Quite happy with the bases, I think I got a nice blueish asphalt look with a more brownish-grey dirt underneath.

Also started working on one of the warhounds, got the leadbelcher and brass parts on and shaded, onto a drybrush when it dries. One of the bases is ready for paint I think, tried making a "footprint", its not showing very much right now after I filled it in with stones and rubble, but I hope when its painted it will look nice and subtle. The other base is supposed to be the edge of the asphalt, not sure where I'll take it from there, maybe just dirt and some rubble. 

Still waiting for my magnets and the grand master box, hopefully arriving today or tomorrow. I'm really excited to get started on a warlord! 

For my legio I'm dwaring some inspiriation from Wheel of time and want to do a scheme kinda based on Rand Al'Thor - this is mostly because I want to do a warlord with some rising sun motifs or similar, and call it "lord of the morning". We'll see how it turns out, I found Legio Atarus has a similar look to what I want - red and white/bone, although I want to do gold instead of silver. 

Photos:

http://i.imgur.com/inSeok9l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rdQYdrsl.jpg

Quite happy with the "glowing look" on the shields. (It looks better on camera though)

http://i.imgur.com/qG6lrkzl.jpg

Warhound and the bases for the warhounds. You can see the "footprint" on the upper-left of the base in the middle.

http://i.imgur.com/5YXroSZl.jpg

Nice work Bonjohero. Best advice I can give is to go easy on the weathering, especially at first. Adding more is easy. Taking it off, not so much.

Oh and check out Tamiya Weathering Masters. It's the easiest weathering method I've found.

I'll give that podcast a listen Uveron. Interested to hear about the event, and jealous of people who got to play games!

This weekend I organised a 6 person event at a very large (thus socialiy distanced) hall. Went 6 rounds of AT, and ran a small narrative. 

In surprise twist, it appears the Free Blade King- Knight household is a real power build.

My Rambing about the event can be found here: https://anchor.fm/martin-emery/episodes/Events-The-Iron-Halo-ek9fvg

Have not listened to it yet, but I'm very curious about the event. Looking forward to checking it out later today.

TIAT I finally got a game in! I’ve been doing a lot of intro-style games to drum up interest, well, since lockdown, not so much, but today I went to a gaming club in a town half an hour away from me which is still open. Got my first full game with all the Legio, mission and stratagem rules, and 1800 points a side, great fun!

My opponent had a Mortis force, with a minimum Arcus maniple and minimum Venator maniple, plus a banner of two lancers. Facing him was my Atarus, using a Ferrox maniple with two Reavers and two Warhounds, a support Warlord and a banner of three lancers.

I was playing Glory and Honour, so had to kill his Warbringer on the back line, and he had Vital Cargo, so had to get his Venator Reaver off my board edge. With the addition of a couple of Tertiary Objectives, Score to Settle and Decapitating Strike, I managed to get 30 vp’s to his 15, but he had some appalling luck and I had three titans all on death’s door at the end of the game that he just couldn’t finish off, so it was a lot closer than the score implies. Looking forward to the next one!

Initial deployments;

ufmLKYB.jpg

7qNsvsa.jpg

After obliterfrying the Malinax Lancers, my left flank tries to calculate the best approach to the primary target, the Warbringer.

uZyGUnX.jpg

Meanwhile aggressive moves from both sides on the right flank lead to some close encounters.

mEgJQrS.jpg

However my right flank was also being covered by Legacy of Phaeton, my support Warlord.

2uoATRF.jpg

Outflanking Lancer on the left. Turns out, when you can charge 12”, you only need one to kill a Warbringer!

ZkeKUEe.jpg

After a gap in photo taking (it was all too exciting and I forgot...), Atarus forces close in on the last Mortis engine, the only traitor to escape being the Reaver carrying the vital cargo!

X4ah8Sj.jpg

Morning all!

So, I've decided to dip my toes into Titanicus, going to go with Legio Tempestus for my Titans.

I ordered the Grandmaster Edition for my birthday (and the perfect time too, it went No Longer Available Online the day it showed up at my FLGS :lol:) and I'm going to be building and magnetizing the crap out of the titans because as of right now, I'm the guy who's getting people into Titanicus so no one else has them yet.

I'm planning on also getting the Starter Box as well. As I read that the Grandmaster Edition isn't the best for learning/teaching the game due to the wonky balance?

My question is this: What's a good build for people to learn the game between those two boxes, and should I get the the Warlord Plasma Annihilators, Laser Blasters and Power Claw so I can have those weapons in case they're better for learning/teaching?

Edited by Gederas

Morning all!

So, I've decided to dip my toes into Titanicus, going to go with Legio Tempestus for my Titans.

I ordered the Grandmaster Edition for my birthday (and the perfect time too, it went No Longer Available Online the day it showed up at my FLGS :laugh.:) and I'm going to be building and magnetizing the crap out of the titans because as of right now, I'm the guy who's getting people into Titanicus so no one else has them yet.

I'm planning on also getting the Starter Box as well. As I read that the Grandmaster Edition isn't the best for learning/teaching the game due to the wonky balance?

My question is this: What's a good build for people to learn the game between those two boxes, and should I get the the Warlord Plasma Annihilators, Laser Blasters and Power Claw so I can have those weapons in case they're better for learning/teaching?

Welcome aboard, brother.

Yes, GME is not a good starter because you basically get two Warlords standing around and throwing dice at each other without anything happening. Titanicus shines when you get a few more moving pieces on the table, between those boxes you can have early games with three engines per side (one of each class, which is a minimum requirement for a beginner friendly Axiom maniple that you'll see in the main rulebook) that will get you on your feet. That's about 1000 points, normal games usually gravitating towards 1250-1750 with 4-6 engines per side.

The other Warlord guns are also useful, since doube Belicosa is a very dangerous armament for the titan itself.

Yeah, the biggest problem with those two warlord armaments is that they just stalemate eachother. far frm the balance being wonky, it's just too level! Because you only have one weapon capable of targetting a weak point (the launchers) you just need to keep throwing bellicosa shots at eachother until either you get lucky with the hit location enough times, or one of you overheats from firing them too much!

The best way to kill titans is often multiple shot weapons to drop shields, as weight of dice is here more key than weapon strength, then you pile in the high damage, low shot weapons to soften up some locations. Then, once you have a location which is weakened, the low strength, high volume weapons come back into play, as they enough get strength modifiers on the damaged areas to actually damage them, and you can target those areas deliberately. 

Honestly therefore, if you wanted to make the GM edition more teaching friendly, maybe a pair of reavers or warhounds would be the next best option? (and if you decide on both, you may as well save money and buy the starter box!)

Definitely get the actual starter ASAP, as the others pointed out the GM edition just produces fairly tedious battles, and those warlords really benefit from some extra weapons as double bellicosa is a poor choice, so the upgrade sprue or some resin guns are good investments.

You cant go too far wrong with Reaver and Warhound builds out of the box, just try to keep your weapons in a similar range band really.

AT is a really awesome game once you have that lot running around :) 

Edited by Noserenda

Today in titanicus I played a game on Tabletop Simulator. Ran 4 Astorum reavers in a corsair and 3 cerastus lancers against an Audax Canis Maniple and Audax Lupercal Maniple (6 Warhounds in all). Only lost the one reaver and the lancers and table my opponent. The lancers took out 2 warhounds and neutered a 3rd. The reaver I lost went down to some pretty lucky rolls with ursus claws (think we may have got the rules wrong on those)