Today in Titanicus I...

I’d refute that point. It doesn’t explicitly say you can target through voids, it says if you’re targeting you can pick the location.

Two very different things.

You can legally target a shield less model with a Warp missile. I disagree with your assessment that the wording ignores the restrictions on targeting a shielded Titan.

Do you agree?

24 minutes ago, Brother Dallo said:

I’d refute that point. It doesn’t explicitly say you can target through voids, it says if you’re targeting you can pick the location.

Two very different things.

You can legally target a shield less model with a Warp missile. I disagree with your assessment that the wording ignores the restrictions on targeting a shielded Titan.

Do you agree?

You are by RAW correct, but only because the core rules make assumptions in their writing (ie. being pretty casual with the supposed first-time reader). This is hardly a desired or intentional interaction. I would always play this the other way round and allow targeting through shields with the few weapons that can do so, as that would entirely defeat the purpose of things like Warp Missiles and Sinistramanus Tenebrae.

"Warp: Warp weapons, most famously warp missiles, are fired in realspace but translate to the Warp for the majority of their flight, only returning to reality as they reach their target. If an attack made by a Warp weapon hits its target, make a Location roll (or choose a location if making a Targeted Attack).

Then, regardless of whether the target is shielded, roll a D6....[rest is irrelevant]"

It's the order of the words which is key IMO you can make a targeted attack, regardless of whether the target is shielded.

Anyway, I think most events will let you target with a Bypass weapon. The only weapons that this affects right now are the Neutron Laser and the Shock Lance, and it's pretty key that you get to target with those as they would otherwise be largely useless. You can't shock a Weapon location it seems, and with only S4 on the Lance, if you couldn't target a vulnerable location, you'd waste your shot most of the time if you needed to roll for location.

1 hour ago, Sherrypie said:

The best bit, of course is that a strict RAW reading here would mean you cannot ever make Targeted attacks with Melee weapons either, if the target has active shields :P

Sooo, yeah. It's pretty clear how this stuff is meant to be.

I just reread melee, it may not affect that, as Melee says "as though making a Targeted attack" so it may not be a targeted attack.

So Dallo may indeed be correct. But I don't like it.

Hoho, that's another wonderful piece of AT ambiguity. I used to visit a few law lectures at the university for fun, mainly because I found the law peoples' logical and precise approach to language so refreshingly different to what you're used to in humanities. Insofar, I've enjoyed this argument quite. :biggrin: In seriousness, though, I don't think anybody could really argue for such an interpretation of the targeted attacks rule.

TIAT I would show here the Iconoclast conversion I've spent the last two evenings on:

20220930-231154.jpg 20220930-231259.jpg

The grav imploder had been finished a while ago, along with a twin gatling that's not mounted here. Sherrypies' Warmaster inspired me to finish my own Iconoclast, and for some reason I came to built him a giant powered wracking ball instead of a huge chainsaw.

TIAT I took part in my second Titanicus event (pushing my total games played dangerously close to double figures).

There were eight players and it was an event with a deliberately low bar for entry. Specifically, you brought a 1250 point list built purely from the contents of the starter box.

It was a nice event with a range of prizes to aim for. I ended up getting a trophy for most Primary points scored, with my Krytos Ferrox Maniple. I also got one of the spot prizes. The first person to roll a 2 on a void save got a prize. I rolled four 2s on seven dice, so I ended up getting two prizes. :laugh:

All in all, it was nice to get back to rolling some stompy robot dice. I even picked up a few Battlebling bits for my Damicium Maniple I’m working on.

Dallo

So Vanguard Miniatures just released this...

So this just dropped in...

Eloi Federation – Harpy
DHURz0z.jpg
MJARZTV.jpg
uXdhT1Z.jpg
M7jB0cA.jpg

Set contains:

1 x multipart Harpy miniature with modelling options

Optional parts include variant pose feet, two head choices (piloted or drone) and three arm weapon choices (heavy pulse lasers, quantum lance’s or resonance cannons)

Notes: 

- 3D resin printed model
- Model height approx, 85mms to top of the wing
- Component count, 36 pieces
- Models painted by John Fielding.

https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/eloi-federation-harpy/

Apparently , we're getting a "Matched Play guide" with new deployment maps and new primary/secondary objectives. I like the open engine war deck, but since that has been put of stock so fast, a generally available rule set should be welcome to many people. There's also mention of "advise" on tournaments, doubles and narrative games. I don't have much of an idea what might be specifically advised here, but we'll see. Finally, the book seems to contain up-to-date references for weapons etc.

Other than that, the grav guns are about to go online for preorder, though still without much being known about their rules, AFAIK.

Yep, FW are doing their usual trick of selling us weapons without telling us what the rules look like until we buy them! I imagine the rules will be up online within a week or two. Unless Goonhammer or someone gets a preview copy to review, in which case we might find out this week, but I wouldn’t expect that, necessarily.

I welcome the new book, as you say, the Open Engine War cards vanished super quick, and we have a few new players who we’re trying to dissuade from playing the naff standard matched play scenarios in the core rulebook!

It remains to be seen if they can manage to actually print a 100% accurate weapons summary! Here’s hoping!

• 3 weeks later...

TIAT I got a 1250 game with a Corsair maniple for the first time. The movement shenanigans were as fun and helpful as I’d been led to believe.

I also tried out the Reaver Volkite for the first time. It didn’t set the world on fire (sadly), but it was solid for putting some pressure on shielded targets. My Reaver was clearly enjoying shooting with it as the Machine Spirit decided shooting the Warlord with a Volkite was a much better plan than pushing Voids to full. 

How do you rate Volkite weapons in general? A weapon that needs a push seems massively risky for a Warhound. 

Dallo

9 minutes ago, Sword Brother Adelard said:

I'm a little perplexed by your saying that your Reaver chose to shoot over pushing voids to full. It should have done both?

What Dallo means is that he wanted to go Voids to Full, rolled the Machine Spirit, failed his command check and rolled Wrathful(?).

If you’re thinking that the Voids to Full would carry on, I’m afraid you’re mistaken. When you fail the machine spirit roll it cancels whatever action you were doing. You’ve asked the reactor to put energy into shields and the machine spirit has decided it knows better! So in this instance Dallo’s reaver reverted to regular void shield saves.

1 hour ago, General Zodd said:

If you’re thinking that the Voids to Full would carry on, I’m afraid you’re mistaken. When you fail the machine spirit roll it cancels whatever action you were doing. You’ve asked the reactor to put energy into shields and the machine spirit has decided it knows better! So in this instance Dallo’s reaver reverted to regular void shield saves.

Or, we could read the rules...

IMG_20221103_085556.jpg

So, what should have happened is Dallo should have added one heat, rolled his saves with the benefit of re-rolls AND shot the Warlord.

Edited by Sword Brother Adelard

12 hours ago, Sword Brother Adelard said:

Or, we could read the rules...

IMG_20221103_085556.jpg

So, what should have happened is Dallo should have added one heat, rolled his saves with the benefit of re-rolls AND shot the Warlord.

Well, blow me down… After almost four years of regular play, with other people who think it works the same way I did  (plus the recent Tabletop Standard video about weapon arcs) it looks like I should really go back and reread the whole blooming book again!