Today in Titanicus I...

I really like the warhound one, as it transforms the role. It might be risky, but the option is there and is functional enough in theory.

Both the reaver and warlord one draw a lot of parallels to their volcano options, but I think the ability to target immediately makes them better. As does the strength boost at long over the reaver and the maximal fire on the warlord's. Though it still might be a bit too expensive, as cost was really the limiting factor, not the slightly unreliable nature of blasts.

You can also do the one strat that boosts maximal fire weapons, for a rather outrageous str 16 on the warlord weapon; you basically crit anything you hit.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Thinking about it. The beamer on the hound is more of a budget yet safer option to the plasma blast gun when it's at its shorter range.

You lose a point of strength and blast Bs the plasma but aren't -1 to hit (most of time) and no risk with maximal fire. Run around with 2 of them and you're pumping out 4 str9 shots up to 20" away with no negatives.... 

The only real kick in the nuts is the repair roll on the weapon. It's a 6+ so if a hound loses its weapon, its pretty much lost ot for the game. 

Oh, not a bad shout with the supercharged weapon strat. What about experimental weapon? How does that work with the warlord weapon? Would it affect it? Or would it bounce to another weapon? 

Edited by Lord_Borak

I got a couple of Warlord guns and one for a Reaver at Warhammer Fest. They didn't have any Warhound ones when I got there, but I don't think that's a huge loss to be honest.

As has been mentioned, the Reaver and Warhound ones are both pretty awkward. Reavers don't have a long-ranged arm weapon that can break shields. Warhounds don't either, and also don't want to overheat. In both cases though this is clearly a better gun than a turbo laser, even if you don't ever fire in the draining mode.

One fun option would be to stick them on a Venator Reaver, as then it wouldn't have to worry about range or facings to hit something that lost its shields. That isn't spectacular exactly, but it would be fine. A Reaver with melta, gatling and beamer would work ok in general in a maniple with other engines a bit more focused on dropping shields - say a Ferrox that included a double-VMB hound.

The Warlord one is a bit better and a decent option to pair with a quake cannon. In theory you could target with it but only two shots makes that unreliable, and if you're targeting then the very high strength isn't generally needed thanks to the structural damage you're probably aiming for.

So overall these are very optional weapons with great models. I'm happy with that for a resin release, personally. Get them if you like because they do work, but they aren't required.

I too picked up a couple at Warhammer Fest and now have them ready to rock.

I used the Warlord one in a game and it was pretty good getting into a long range duel with a dire wolf.

I paired it with apoc launchers for shield stripping and ran a plasma / VMB Warhound forward for support.  

St14 is pretty devastating. 

Cheers

Vogon 

20230506_072200.jpg

20230506_072121.jpg

Looks great!! Although sideways pictures did hurt my neck a bit ;)

I haven't run mine yet but I'm liking the idea of a Warlord with Beamer, Quake and Apoc Missiles. It's 480pts so isn't that cheap but can sit and range and lob nasty shells, strip shields and cause some nasty Str14 hits on people.

Also like the idea of them on hounds and Reavers. Two Str9 shots is nothing to be ignored and they're a much safer, if not as destructive, version of the Blast gun. I guess I'll see when I try them out net Saturday!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry, @Vogon, for the late reply. Real life keeps distracting me much this year. Your Fureans machines look great. Maybe the panels could profit from some more black (/dark brown) lining between armour and trimm and around panel details like the scrolls. But the yellow is very crisp and striking. I also like the shiny red eye on the reaver shoulder.

The Extirpator looks brutal on the warlord, model wise. Mine is still unassembled, but after your pics, I look forward to change that as soon as my new Hobby cave is taking shape, hopefully in the next weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

TIAT, I'm excited to see that the New Epic ("Legions Imperialis") starter box is going to introduce new warhound weapons: a missile pod and melta lance along with a volkite and claws/lances all in plastic. That means new options for AT, whether you're into the new Epic or not. They'll be on a new weapons frame, that presumably could be sold seperately. I wonder how compatability with AT is going to be handled: Legions apparently won't use terminals, alas no weapon cards.

Ah, another noteworthy bit: "All of the scenery that was released with Adeptus Titanicus is also returning for use in Legions Imperialis, with more to follow."

Who else loves the first reinstalment of the classic arm-mounted missile pod? :cool:

Edited by Tar Aldarion

Yup, pretty happy with this!! I'm not sure if I'll get into EPIC or not but I'll certainly pick up a couple of the boxes and give it a go. If not the models will be good for basing my titans!

The Warhound weapons look cool. I was kinda waiting for the Melta and missiles ever since the shrunk down version on the Warmaster shoulder appeared.  However with all this effort going into new sprues and units I can't see Titanicus getting much love. Which does make me a bit sad. Still, if people are playing EPIC it might get more people into Titanicus which is never a bad thing.

It will also be interesting to see how a Titan force would work in EPIC. 

I have my doubts on how supported AT will be given the last while, but even if they ignore us we have the existing rulesset to play with and can homebrew new stuff :) 

I am keen to see if any other titans get new toys when they get reissued though! 

I think we'll be on the back burner for a while but I'm also thinking we'll get the odd morsel thrown in, such as these new Warhound weapons. Not that I NEED anymore weapons, but options are always nice!! It's also nice to see a plastic release for a Titan as well. Hopefully this will herald some more releases. 

I can see Knights being used a fair bit more in EPIC than in AT. Which I don't think is a bad thing. I've wanted to do a Household list for ages but, according to the interweb wisdom, they make the game a bit wonky. So maybe they'll find a better home in EPIC instead?

On 6/17/2023 at 10:22 PM, Tar Aldarion said:

Sorry, @Vogon, for the late reply. Real life keeps distracting me much this year. Your Fureans machines look great. Maybe the panels could profit from some more black (/dark brown) lining between armour and trimm and around panel details like the scrolls. But the yellow is very crisp and striking. I also like the shiny red eye on the reaver shoulder.

The Extirpator looks brutal on the warlord, model wise. Mine is still unassembled, but after your pics, I look forward to change that as soon as my new Hobby cave is taking shape, hopefully in the next weeks.

Thanks for that.  When i get a bit of time I  will give probably revisit these guys and have tidy the flames up a bit and look at your suggestion of lining between the panesl and trim. 

The shiny eye is from teh GW Lagio Fureans transfer set.  Unfortunately I only managed to pick one up after I'd already painted and transferred both my Warlords.  I may have to look at thta as well at some pont.  

Cheers

Vogon

23 hours ago, Noserenda said:

I have my doubts on how supported AT will be given the last while, but even if they ignore us we have the existing rulesset to play with and can homebrew new stuff :) 

I am keen to see if any other titans get new toys when they get reissued though! 

I'm hoping for a supplement now and then that gives us AT rules for things like the new Warhound weapons. A few more Titan Legions and Households would be nice too.

But yeah, I expect we'll see the Reaver and Warlord with new weapon sprues at some point. Maybe the Reaver will get missile arms and the Warlord might see the macro Gatling and quake cannon finally go plastic. Fingers crossed!

Epic looks like it might be a good game in and of itself. This preview article is worth a read: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/03/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-warhammer-the-horus-heresy-legions-imperialis/.

The game will use alternating activations (of detachments) and progressive scoring, which sounds good. We'll have rules for our titans (not sure about all the resin guns), knights and relevant AI planes in the core book, apparently. 

I'm a little worried that the few infantry people will have at first will get stomped on by all kinds of massive god machines. They do look cool though.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:31 PM, Sword Brother Adelard said:

Check the Extirpator for breakages. I've had two from FW arrived broken now.

The nozzles on the Warhound one have a tendency to arrive broken too.

Thanks for the advice! I checked today, and apparently I was lucky enough to receive 3/3 intact weapons. Although, admittedly, I wasn't too sad when I got a second free banner of Armigers because the helverin in the first had been packed with two left autocannons...

As for plastic versions of existing resin guns: I wouldn't expect it. The market can probably be considered (by gw) to be too saturated with resin guns to be worth a relaunch in plastic. But I'd sure like to be proven wrong.

The latest news about the epic rules sound good, indeed. And apart from being a viable source of basing material, the game might also be a welcome excuse to acquire a few pretty flyers, without being interested in aeronautica itself.

Edited by Tar Aldarion

Ha, good point @Mandragola, they are going to have to bring out a few weapons that might actually worry a titan for marines other than their flyers. 

I wouldnt write off more plastic weapons, if they have added/replaced the weapon sprue in the warhounds, they may well have done similarly with the other classes of titan when reboxing them, if they have been sitting on releases for AT like they did for AoD 2nd ed, we might have a backlog for them to implement.

I'm sure it would be possible to write a game where a combined arms approach worked best. Requiring infantry to hold objectives would be the most obvious thing, especially with progressive scoring. And planes will be a legitimate threat to titans - or a reason for us to field our Warbringers/masters with their autocannons!