What are you looking forward to most in the RG supplement?

Would Reivers benefit from a Phobos bump ?

Kind of? They have the keyword which means they can be effected by the Phobos Warlord Traits and Obscuration Discipline as well.

That being said neither the Warlord Trait or the Discipline is packing barn-burner offerings.

The double move is probably one of the strongest options with regards to Reivers.

Remembers that old SFTS allows your unit to move after it got set up. That is nothing like drop pods and their cargo have to be over 9' at the end of the movement phase. It's not the hardest charge to make in the world, particularly with that new chaplain +2 to charge distance prayer but it is a lot less toxic for the game.

I believe most of us are referring to the original SFTS which effectively allowed you to delay deploying a unit until just before first turn, and allowed it to deploy anywhere more than 9" Away from an Enemy (Even better than Concealed Deployment).

That's the point I'm making. Old SFTS is far more toxic for the game than current drop pods because SFTS units can move allowing them to skip over chaff. 

Remembers that old SFTS allows your unit to move after it got set up. That is nothing like drop pods and their cargo have to be over 9' at the end of the movement phase. It's not the hardest charge to make in the world, particularly with that new chaplain +2 to charge distance prayer but it is a lot less toxic for the game.

I believe most of us are referring to the original SFTS which effectively allowed you to delay deploying a unit until just before first turn, and allowed it to deploy anywhere more than 9" Away from an Enemy (Even better than Concealed Deployment).

That's the point I'm making. Old SFTS is far more toxic for the game than current drop pods because SFTS units can move allowing them to skip over chaff. 

Sorry about that, I misunderstood you. I thought you were referring to the "current" SFTS 9" move post deployment, not the "old" SFTS ability to move during your turn after using the strategem. 

Do you really feel its that toxic? You need to have fly to skip over chaff to begin with (points premium) and you have to spend a CP for every unit you do it with (CP premium). We virtually never saw SFTS see play at a competitive level this way. 

Blood Angels can/could achieve a similar method with two different stratagems. 

At what point is the mechanic toxic?

Turn 1 charges? Lots of armies can do that right now, and none of which are considered broken.

Turn 1 charges on models with fly, allowing you to clear screens? If a RG player can thin out a screen to make enough space to land with his fly units (move or assault), and gets a charge off against a key unit on Turn 1, is that really toxic?

The marine player is likely to commit an overwhelming amount of his army and CP to make this happen and its to kill some chaff and engage one (ish) unit.

What if it costed more CP? 2 each time?

Initial reaction is 'ok'. Not a fan of the head. I'm hoping the iconography isn't too difficult to remove so I can use him in my successor chapter

I do like that he's got a pistol. Currently he's melee or grenades so that's something. I probably won't model him up on that wall though.

Getting him and putting the helmet on and promptly discarding the head. I really like his pack too. Now who's going to tag along with him? Reivers can keep up unless they deepstrike and Inceptors aren't fitting with his theme. There's no way he'll be pictured next to non-primaris in the book.I would buy a unit of primaris-vanguard vets in a heartbeat.

I'm like full fangirl right now. I love the aesthetic. He's suitably unique, yet still "tacticool". He's tribal yet modern.

I really appreciate that the Heavy Metal team reinforced the blue undertoned white.

He looks significantly more lithe and lethal. I actually love the head, which is the first time I've ever felt that way about an "emo" head.

What a beast.

Also the claws on the feet are clever too; looks like they can swing forward to grapple walls of be swept back for landing. Between those and the pack I'm getting a Gundam Thunderbolt vibe.

I'm hoping we see some Reiver's with jump packs drop along with the supplement. It makes sense because it'll give them a chance to release another Pimaris LT.

As I keep looking it's growing on me, but I do think I'll do a little converting to make it fit more into my chapter. But it's looking like my Spectral Sicarii will be using Raven Guard rules and Shrike. If anyone complains I'll just say they're Raven Guard on a covert mission trying to pass as World Eaters :D

There is no rule in the rulebook that says your Raven Guard have to be painted black (and white). Just as long as they aren't painted as a known Chapter ie Blue toilet seat Marines aren't going to fly as Raven Guard.

There is no rule in the rulebook that says your Raven Guard have to be painted black (and white). Just as long as they aren't painted as a known Chapter ie Blue toilet seat Marines aren't going to fly as Raven Guard.

I know, and I don't play competitively so I'm not worried. If my opponent wants to balk at me running RG that aren't black I probably wouldn't enjoy playing them.

Edited by thewarriorhunter

I like where they took the armour and jump pack but I am not a fan of the model overall. I don't like the emo head, or that he is standing on top of a wall (get down from there you are going to be shot), or the bits of raven, or the weird foot talons.

But I do like that this means that our supplement is coming soon!   

Well, hopefully we get a Primaris Chaplain with a jump pack, and a jump pack melee unit. Even just a Phobos Chaplain, or give Reivers a Chaplain candidate that buffs just that squad with litany of hatred.

Also, I want a sprue of Primaris beaky helmets!!!

What I expect from RG supplement:

-lots of deployment and movement shenanigans

-disruption of enemy re-enforcements

-psychic powers to weaken enemy shooting and combat

-some great relic weapons for phobos units

I really don't know what their special doctrine bonus will be but their CT is already very strong.

Edited by Ishagu

There is a bit of a strange dichotomy between the current RG rules and the lore. The chapter tactic encourages a long range gunline. However shock assault (e.g. Jump pack units and teleporting terminators) and sneaky units that range ahead of the main force to disrupt are a big part of the RG way of war. Doing so however usually involves getting closer than 12" and you lose the benefit of the chapter tactic.

I hope we get something in the supplement that rewards or enables a RG army to get up close and personal.

I can see us getting a bonus for the tactical or assault doctrines.

Edited by lythari

There is a bit of a strange dichotomy between the current RG rules and the lore. The chapter tactic encourages a long range gunline. However shock assault (e.g. Jump pack units and teleporting terminators) and sneaky units that range ahead of the main force to disrupt are a big part of the RG way of war. Doing so however usually involves getting closer than 12" and you lose there benefit of the chapter tactic.

I hope we get something in the supplement that rewards or enables a RG army to get up close and personal with the for.

Quoted for accuracy and truth.

I wonder if we would get something to disable overwatch when the assault doctrine is active, either as part of our super doctrine or a strategem?

What they were going for was sneaking up on opponents easier but didnt translate well. Things you want to assault get shot to pieces unless they deepstrike and risk a long charge. The cover mechanic is awful this edition; would have much preferred a static -1 if in cover, obscured, or if they deepstruck(similar to dark furies in 30k). That is what I want out of the supplement, not yet another gunline.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a bit of a strange dichotomy between the current RG rules and the lore. The chapter tactic encourages a long range gunline. However shock assault (e.g. Jump pack units and teleporting terminators) and sneaky units that range ahead of the main force to disrupt are a big part of the RG way of war. Doing so however usually involves getting closer than 12" and you lose there benefit of the chapter tactic.

I hope we get something in the supplement that rewards or enables a RG army to get up close and personal with the for.

Quoted for accuracy and truth.

I wonder if we would get something to disable overwatch when the assault doctrine is active, either as part of our super doctrine or a strategem?

That would be almost brokenly good. Especially if it was disabled for the entire army while the Assault Doctrine is active.

There was a rumor that Raven Guard will play like a weird mix of Astartes and GSC.

Being able to deep strike closer to enemy units while the Assault Doctrine is active would be very fluffy, and no stronger than Cult Ambush.

So we get the Raven Guard preview in about 20 hours and I thought I would make some wild guesses based off of what the fluff in codex says and what other chapters are getting.  

Each entry has a % next to it that represents how certain I am about it.  

Here we go!

1.  Doctrine Bonus: The Raven Guard doctrine bonus will be in the tactical doctrine although I really dont have a clue what it will be.  80%

The Raven Guard doctrine bonus may be more focused than the other chapters but also slightly better.  Something like "reroll wounds for all phobos marines in tactical doctrine" or "all phobos and jump infantry gain +1 dmg in tactical".  20%

We may get a defensive doctrine bonus like +1 to armour saves in tactical doctrine that stacks with the chapter trait.  10%

2.  Unit Focus:  Raven Guard will receive stratagems, traits, psychic powers, and relics that focus heavily on flyers, speeders, jump infantry, drop pods, and phobos marines.(the fluff section of the codex says that this is what RG is all about)  100%

3. Stratagems:

Stratagems that turbo charge phobos with rerollable wounds, bonus dmg, or mortal wound potential.  50%

Stratagems that allow for movement shennanigans out of turn like jump/shoot/jump.  50%

Stratagems that buff jump pack infantry in close combat such as a 3d6 charge or + x" to charge roll.  50%

Stratagems that buff units disembarking from flyers or drop pods. 50%

Stratagems that allow scouts or phobos marines to spot/buff other units.  75%

Stratagems that allow units to outflank(just like Whitescars). 50%

4. Psychic Powers:  

Raven Guard will get a version of Da Jump which works on jump infantry. 25%

Raven Guard will get a version of Jinx that lowers enemy saves.  25%

Raven Guard will get some sort of Darkness themed "do mortal wounds to something" power.  100%

5. Relics

Raven Guard will get Swiftstrike and Murder back!  No idea what they will do though. 100%

Raven Guard will get Nihilus back.   BOOM HEADSHOT!  *FPS Doug 100% 

Raven Guard will not get a relic banner.  Banners aren't sneaky.  25%

Raven Guard will get a relic that a Phobos captain or LT can take so they dont suck in close combat.  100%

6. Reivers

They will still suck.  150%

So that is all I got.  Im really not sure on anything that isnt self evident.  Anyone else got any predictions before tomorrow?

I really don't want to be pigeonholed into phobos personally. I have a lot of tacticals, assault marines, scouts, drop pods, and sternguard.

I also am worried our doctrine will be in the assault phase. The IH super doctrine is very good. The WS one is ok. My biggest fear is that it's in the assault phase and where out CT doesn't do anything so it forces us to forgo it.

Personally I would like buffs for things arriving from deepstrike, a cover save/minus to hit or bonus to damage. If only deathstorm drop pods were good.

+ I never want to play IH after reading only a couple of the things they get...

I'm curious what and why?

It's just not my playstyle. I love Dreads as much as anyone almost but not a gearhead. I only want vehicles I absolutely need for my strategic gameplan

Edit: I'm going to be disappointed but not shocked if there is a focus on Phobos. Raven Guard should be shadow masters without Cawl's gadgets. I'm hoping the Intercessors and Tacticals get some GSC style redeployment shananigans

Edited by Dracos