Wolves 2.0 Speculation

PeteySödes

It's not the fact we waited 1.5 years for a subpar codex. It's the fact that we haven't been "patched".

Missed ca18'
Missed big spring faq.

Now a massive update to core Marines Within a year of wolves. Except Marines appear to be getting patched again while wolves get nothing.

Look, I expected less than nothing, and yet I still somehow feel disappointed.

I frankly don't expect anything in ca19' for us, and I suspect Marines proper will get lots of patched in ca19'.

I don't expect anything to change until we get our new Dex, the real question here, is when. 6 months? 1 year, 2 years?

All the above applied to grey  knights also

-----

edit: fixed "get knights" to "grey knights"

my phone keeps auto correcting

Edited by Triszin

I know it gets confusing when you see Space Marines and think "I play, Space Wolves, I'm a Space Marine!" but....

This isn't our release. it's not our Codex. and we're lucky we get to tag along with new toys. and that's what this is ... a tag along.

Thats how it should be but history shows thats not whats happening. Our current book was 100% an in tandem affair that was delayed very likely to appease the release schedule. You can see it in the one thing that was fairly innovative being released in PDF in our Sagas.

I think its completely appropriate to need to vent a little after the hype then retraction, the previous dex, and the uncertain future of our beloved army.

It's not the fact we waited 1.5 years for a subpar codex. It's the fact that we haven't been "patched".

Missed ca18'

Missed big spring faq.

Now a massive update to core Marines Within a year of wolves. Except Marines appear to be getting patched again while wolves get nothing.

Look, I expected less than nothing, and yet I still somehow feel disappointed.

I frankly don't expect anything in ca19' for us, and I suspect Marines proper will get lots of patched in ca19'.

I don't expect anything to change until we get our new Dex, the real question here, is when. 6 months? 1 year, 2 years?

All the above applied to get knights also

This is my frustration as well

I know it's not our release but it's a great opportunity to patch us up. Instead they give us a small bump but make the gap between us and regular marines even larger. Unless massive point corrections in CA19 (which is unlikely if we dont see em now) we are gunna be struggling til our actual release.

Mmmmmm Im not going to panic just yet about the doctrine thing. Ive been around the block long enough to not 100% trust the way those articles are laid out.

Edit: NM Simon Grant confirmed no doctrines. Now I rage panic.

He also said we will probably get our own set in due course. Could be a nice Chapter Approved 2019 if we got overdue points drops and non codex chapters got their litanies and doctrines. Or outside bet they release another supplement to sell to us, or maybe even a White Dwarf codex astartes

Edit: apologies to WGD for repeating him a bit

Edited by Dark Shepherd

I know it gets confusing when you see Space Marines and think "I play, Space Wolves, I'm a Space Marine!" but....

This isn't our release. it's not our Codex. and we're lucky we get to tag along with new toys. and that's what this is ... a tag along.

Thats how it should be but history shows thats not whats happening. Our current book was 100% an in tandem affair that was delayed very likely to appease the release schedule. You can see it in the one thing that was fairly innovative being released in PDF in our Sagas.

I think its completely appropriate to need to vent a little after the hype then retraction, the previous dex, and the uncertain future of our beloved army.

I literally share those same thoughts

GW doesn't seem aware of the tournament season and player base. Need to treat balance like online multiplayer and do all at once (chapter approved and big faq style). delaying to fill a schedule doesn't fit the current reality

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/357432-should-all-the-chapters-be-rolled-into-one-codex/page-2

well i guess my question is didn't you gripe enough when the delay actually happened. the fact is it happened and the landscape is now what it is. do we need to rehash it for every other factions release until its our turn again. the cycle of jealousy is exhausting.

surely there is a better outlet for this.

Edited by Wispy

well i guess my question is didn't you gripe enough when the delay actually happened. the fact is it happened and the landscape is now what it is. do we need to rehash it for every other factions release until its our turn again. the cycle of jealousy is exhausting.

*nobody show him the Black Templar forum

View this as a net positive. While it is Codex Marines' time to shine we did get some benefits. We will still be at the bottom for competitiveness and that stinks. And GW doesn't move quickly with remedies. But we gained a lot of tools we didn't really have before (yes we did have access to the Vanguard stuff prior).

Infiltrators are a tier 1 screen that we sorely needed. The cost is premium but they are excellent at their role. Troop, check. Forward deploy, check. Bubble of no touchy, CHECK!

Phobos Lieutenants and Captains have shown some use. A couple of our savvier players have posted battle reports about them.

Suppressors are cool that they can deny overwatch. They may have use.

Invictor, Redemptor, and  Impulsor could be cool. Remains to be seen as it is dependent on cost. I'm not really sold on Incursors being better than infiltrators.

Shock assault benefits us and BA more than any of the other chapters.

We have really good stratagems. Well-designed for us and effective. We could use a points decrease across the board which we probably won't get now that Marines have been upped. GW will want to keep point cost parity with Codex Marines. We will probably have to wait for a rules boost. Hopefully they add something to increase our durability. A lot of the other chapters had something added to their chapter trait that increased durability i.e. Salamanders.

Some of the expectations we had were probably due to optimism. It just wasn't our turn for the boost.

TDA are still not great.

Are they getting a decent boost?

4 S 8 TH A's with 2+/3++ and 2 Wounds isn't seeming pretty strong to present a decent press if backed up or going in beside Wulfen and / or BC's.

They'd have to get boosted a lot for us to care, wulfen just do it better (excepting SB/SS variants but that a different role). That said, they've already given us the list of units in the PDF and TDA is not one of them. So if they did get boosted our WG guard would be left in the dust.

Honestly I agree with the spirit of no doctrines, we dont follow the codex after all. I just dislike the disadvantage inherent to it.

Agreed, wolves seem to have those doctrines baked into certain units, which I would prefer.

For the new primaries stuff I am really interested. Incursors seem to fit wolves imho, and the impulsor is ace.

Really curious to see if suppressors don't get any alt kit

*nobody show him the Black Templar forum
what's going on with the black templars and their fans here on B&C is insanely sad and toxic. this community enables it somewhat.

we shouldn't act that way. there's no need for us to act that way - to emulate it.

Edited by Wispy

agreed.

On the positive side...

unless im interpreting it incorrectly,

IMPULSOR:
SMPreview-Aug7-AssaultVehicle-85n7.jpg

put a Melee Primaris wolf lord/Battle leader in it.

Drive the vehicle, empty them infront, near another wolf unit in cqc, use heroic intervention?

additionally, if Sheild dome operates like The deredeo automantic sheild, giving a invulnerable save to infantry within 6", could be a good way to use a phobos battle leader and sling shot him in with wulfen stone

Please let's not become as whiny as some people of CERTAIN OTHER SUBFACTIONS. *cough cough*

It's of no use anyway.

We will see what the PDF has for us and find out what works well for our lists.

And we will make do with that.

And if we can't win, we will atleast give our enemies a good fight.

That's what Ragnar would do, as Bjorn did before him, as Russ did before HIM, as the Emperor did even before our gene-father!

*points at the ETL Thread*

All of you! Swallow all your unhappiness and bitterness with a horn of Mjod and get to painting!