Are primaris worth it?

nusphigor

I think you need to be out of your mind to look at the new codex and think primaris are in any way bad. Its a shame a lot of discussions are tainted by people who really want a reason to hate on the new thing.

Just to make sure. Pointing at weak sides of two primaris units is "tainting the discussion"?

People have different levels of performance they want to see for a unit to be in their list as well remember. Something considered "Fine, ok, pretty good" by me simply won't be good enough for a more competitive player. I'm a fan but I doubt we'll be seeing Supressors in many of the more competitive lists for a while (At least until they're kit is released with mini onslaught cannons as an option :P) Different opinions and expectations are all fine things to have, they keep things interesting.

Back to the OP, Primaris do have a place and are worth it if you like how they look and play, but my word don't they split opinions!

One of my friends just started with 8th and plays almost exclusively primaris with a few non primaris tanks and with the new codex he is ecstatic! He loves their aesthetic and now that they are more viable he plans to run them more often than not alone instead of his mostly knights and guard marine list

I'm personally eager to get my hands on the Impulsor - it's a unit that does something for Primaris mobility that hasn't existed thus far. It's cheap, it's relatively durable (and pretty strong with the shield dome), and even though it doesn't really deliver a melee threat it can still transport and protect the new and improved Doctrine wielding weapon buffed Intercessors or even Hellblasters. 

So not only are there good options currently, there are even more coming. 

And not really stepping on any classic flavour toes, either :D

Edited by Lemondish

Um. Maybe everyone fired up can just take a step back please?

God-Emperor knows I have issues with some of Ishagu's Primaris preferences, but it's still worth remaining civil, and there can be valid opinions on both sides.

That said, there's definitely something to be said for having actual playtime with things - personally, I don't have any with Suppressors (or most Primaris).

I ran out of Likes talking about the NOVA tournament winner .... but ^this^ .... Thank you Kallas.

Every batrep I've seen using Primaris shows them doing outstanding work. But regardless of your opinions civil discourse is mandatory here. We are talking about a game we all enjoy playing. Lets keep that in mind. :D

Wow i never thought this topic would get that much attention (and heated), thanks for your replies guys.

I have been reading your opinions on both sides and it seems in the end it comes down to actually using the minis in a battle and testing them.

What i tested last week was a 10man intercessor squad nearby a chapter master with storm of fire (i play imperial fists), as i am using that warlord with a squad of bolter centurions and 2 double kheres relic contemptors (for the vigilius detachment).

So far so good, but noticed that said intercessor squad was kinda bad in my army as it drew a lot of attention when i got into objective-reaching movement and of course they got really really mauled, whereas my tactical squad got another objective but went ignored the whole game.

That is why i say what i say.

When we finished the game we sat down with the guys at the store to talk about the primaris change, both in lore and in the game (as i dont play that much lately and have barely keep up with such topic).

I really your input on this and strongly appreciate how you guys defend your points of view with arguments. I have learnt a lot from them and i agree that, even if my judgement was too hasty, the only thing that in the end works for the best is sitting down and try the units (and the stratagems that make them work).

I will proxy some of those units tomorrow, if i have the time to go to the store, and see what happens.

Thank you again for your input and your explanations on each unit. They really were very useful to understand the new stuff and maybe shake up a bit my old brain xD

For my purposes as a Raven Guard player, the Phobos units are solid gold.

Since my son will soon be playing Tau with the Tau Sept (he likes Shadowsun), being able to do something about overwatch that hits on 5s is crucial for me. My suddenly way nastier twin claws Vanguard Veterans need to be able to get in to do their job (which will also include the Hammer of Wrath Strategem).

Intercessors get fire focused on them largely because people know how hard they are to shift from objectives if they manage to get in cover.

Infiltrators can take a model in the unit that allows them to benefit from a Phobos Captains reroll 1s aura no matter where he is on the battlefield. That's pretty neat. Their Incursor cousins ignore cover with their shooting.

Eliminators are a very good sniper unit that will soon be getting the ability to threaten vehicles. Their Sergeant can give up his shooting to grant them +1 to both hit and wound rolls.

The only "meh" unit in the Phobos group is Reivers. They're decent at picking on units in melee that really don't want to be there with them, but there are units better at it than them, which leaves them without a real role to play.

Edited by Claws and Effect

My only issue with Supressors is you can only take three per squad. If you can ever take five per squad I’ll use them.

On the old overly discussed topic OH I doubt that all the old Marines are going away. If all the Ultramarine special characters had crossed the Rubicon then I’d believe it.