Facing the Unknown II

Trokair

Vossyvo, nice work and congrats on the completion, the Canoness looks surprisingly tall compared to the rest. Is it just the pose or did you artificially add height to the base?

Did you want to make a further vow? You can vow one unit at a time via an Auxiliary Support Detachment if you haven’t got time or the parts for a larger detachment.

Hey Trokair,

No there isn't any elevation on the Canoness. I'll grab a closer photo next time I have them off the shelf, but I did stand her next to a standard sister for a closer look. Her head is pretty much level, so might just be the mantle above/around her face and that she is a bit further foward in the photo. That said the sisters are a bit taller than Taddeus (height wise, not girth haha).

This is what I have left to paint in terms of Adepta Sororitas:

- Pious Vorne

- 3 Arco-Flagellants

- 5 Battle Sisters

- 1 Mark 1B Pattern Rhino (which I really want to paint up as a Sisters Rhino right now, really feel like painting a vehicle, but thinking I shouldn't paint it until I have some of the new release sisters kits for conversion parts or it will be rather bland).

So I will extend my vow to include the below, which should be achieveable for me (I'm also working on a Custodes force for a friend at the moment too):

- 3 Arco-Flagellants

- 5 Battle Sisters

Again thanks for running this, great fun!

Looking forward to seeing your sisters, the ministorum models were great.

The 3 Arco's are complete!

1045878-Adepta%20Sororitas%2C%20Order%20

Edit: So, apparently it's just the computer I'm on. Because I successfully did it on the other computer in my house. Odd.

Ah Technology, not enough prayers to the Omnissiah I see. :tongue.:

Jokes aside I am glad the issue has resolved itself.

Vossyvo, That middle ones always makes me think that she is running too fast and just lost her balance, the arms are in such a panic.  

I lost the game, but I did find some interesting results.

Scouts packed heavily as the main troops choice placed strategically pays off. Especially when organized like a circled wagon train consisting only of snipers. Held my objectives, but still cost a few models in the process.

Eliminators are my new Land Raiders. I field them and they’re all anyone targets. This helped my scouts stay alive longer. The ability to target character models helped shake my opponent into coming for the Eliminators instead of garnering more objectives.

Reivers held their own on the field as rushers. Broken unit? No? Insert Reivers and watch them break! Was truly a sight to watch.

I still have not found a consistent way to run the lieutenants. I think that’s mostly due to my character targeting to get my opponent’s attention. He returned the favor and I rolled horribly. After they went down, my poor Captain in phobos armor quickly followed in a hail of bolter fire from chaos marines.

Once the real hand to hand started though, it was a massacre. For me. Scouts couldn’t hold up. Reivers held their own against the regular chaos marines, but chosen handed me my head. After the dust settled I had a half unit of Scouts and a full unit of Reivers. My opponent had half his army.

So yeah, I lost, but the information I learned is the valuable part to take away from this. Maybe I should try some Infiltrators in a more heavy capacity. 1000 points goes by quickly, so I need to invest in some new tactics instead of a one trick pony.

Hello

I won't be finishing my night lords vow as i have repurposed those minis for a 30k campaign and my friend plays word bearers. I am going with ultramarines so we can play the calth war.

Still, i left the 4 minis i've painted as they are so i can use them in kill team (just have to change the jump pack on the khorne mark marine).

Cheers

Nusphigor, sorry to hear that Night Lords are not going to work out for you this time but I am glad that they will find some use in Kill team and that their erstwhile brethren have a new home as well.

Custom Hero, thank you for sharing your battle experience and better luck next time. Reivers are very much a light assault unit, in my experience they are similar to blood claws, lots of basic attacks but not able to deal with dedicated CC units.

So got in a game this weekend with the Tau.

Fielded a Vanguard as I was unable to fit in in the foam tray that held the riptide and stormsurge.

We did a 800ish pts game.

7th Wing (Tau)
Custom Sept (Harden Missiles, Hybridized Weapons)

Coldstar Commander - HOBC, Missile Pod x2, SG, Puretide chip

4 man Battlesuit team - CIB x4, SG x4, Missile pod x3, drone controller, 4x marker Drones and 4x shield drones

3 man Battlesuit team - BC x3, MP x6, Iridium armour x1, 3x marker drones and 3x shield drones.

1 XV9 hazard Suit - Twin BC, Pulse Subminution Rifle, SG

against

Imperial Fist Battlion

Captian in Gravis Amour - Armour of Imdomittus
Techmarine

3x 10 man Intercessors - Bolt Rifles

Laser Destroyer Tank

Mission was Secure and Control(?) from Eternal War. Thought we dropped it to 4 objectives and the board was a 4x4.

I won the roll off for first turn and he failed to seize. Setup was easy, my commander and the three man unit set up in a ruin on one flank over an objective, while the rest of my army was on the reverse flank over a second objective. The Fists set up around and in a ruin building which held an objective. The final objective was just off center field.

The game was won as much by luck as it was some tactics. Guy was rolling an awful amount of 2s, like higher then should be possible.

I neutralized his tank early, which was good because that thing fires a D3 lascannon. I had to use the Coordinated Fire strat twice to drop one of his squads, but only because of the first time he used Transhuman Psyology, so my S7 and 8 weapons were only wounding on 4s. I got enough CP off the puretide chip to give it a second volley that he didn't have the CP to defend against. Half of his CP went to failed rerolls that stilled failed. He also flubbed a use of the bolter drill strat(?), he hit my four man team with 7 rapid fire 2 bolters and only managed to wound three times, killing two drones.

The commander was a good distraction pulling his commander, tech and a squad into the corner. It took two with drawls to fully extract him, but he halved the intercessor squad by then. He was at half wounds, but still in the fight.

I was disappointed in the XV9, but looking at it's weapons it would be better against lighter armoured foes. He was hitting and wounding, just not sealing the deal even with my opponents poor luck. So against say his guard it will do better, I hope. During this game it did take at least a round of shooting from a full squad of Intercessors and only lost two wounds, it was out of drone protection range, so good there.

We called it after turn four, I had peeled the commander away and wiped out two of his squads and I was holding three objectives. The harden missiles helped a lot, marines with a 5+ save do not last long.

I'm going to look into doing a 1500 pts game this weekend with the SCD. While it will be after the end of the month I'll report in on Monday if I got one in and what happened.

Nusphigor, sorry to hear that Night Lords are not going to work out for you this time but I am glad that they will find some use in Kill team and that their erstwhile brethren have a new home as well.

Thank you brother.

The posibility of playing gorkamorka again made me get my orks out of their box too, so i guess thats another project.

Cheers mate!

So, I've actually finished Third Claw. UNFORTUNATELY, my spot for taking pretty decent pictures (dining room table) is covered with crap because we moved stuff out of the spare room to put a bed in it :lol:

I'll take a picture of them (and the finished battalion) tomorrow at the local GW store.

The paint is still drying but I have finished enough sisters to complete my vow. I don’t think I’ll have any time to take pictures until the weekend but will see what I can do.

Now I just need to build and paint the other 40 odd sisters that are waiting and as well as figure out a basing scheme.

The paint is still drying but I have finished enough sisters to complete my vow. I don’t think I’ll have any time to take pictures until the weekend but will see what I can do.

Now I just need to build and paint the other 40 odd sisters that are waiting and as well as figure out a basing scheme.

If you just want a basic "dirt" scheme, grab a pot of crackle paint, a brown and a brown wash. Apply the brown paint to the base, let it dry, apply crackle, let it mostly dry, apply your brown color again, let it all dry and apply a brown wash. That's what I use for my Raven Guard. Alternatively, for a good "industrial" basing scheme, not unlike the Necromunda bases, go with some kind of wire mesh (I used a beat-up drawer organizer) and a zip tie. Cut up the wire mesh and glue it down to cover the base, then cut a section of zip tie and stick it on in line with the mesh pattern. If you want a darker color, use a mix of Leadbelcher and Typhus Corrosion and sponge-brush it on, and if you want something lighter, just use Leadbelcher and Nuln Oil. This is how I base my Genestealer Cults.

Welp, here's the picture of my completed Battalion:
zA5ncZc.jpg

That's:

• Lord Discordant
  • Chaos Lord with Jump Pack (Lightning Claws x2)
  • Chaos Sorcerer (Mark of Tzeentch, Force Sword)
  • Chaos Sorcerer (Mark of Nurgle, Force Staff)
  • Master of Possession
  • Chaos Space Marines x10 (2 Reaper Chaincannon, Combi-Bolter)
  • Plague Marines x10 (2 Blight Launchers, Plasma Gun+Power Fist+Plaguesword on Champ)
  • Obliterator
  • 3 Chaos Spawn

The Berzerkers and Warp Talons are the two unpainted/semi-painted units on the left

Edited by Gederas

Had my first game with my GSC. It was a lot of fun, even though I lost horribly.

Played with everything I had painted for the event, against Imperial Guard (2xCC, 3 barebone squads, Punisher Russ, Hellhound, Basilisk). I rolled very poorly on all my mining lasers and only managed to take 6 hp of the Russ, before they all died.

My best unit was definitly my Alphus who in two rounds managed to kill both Company Commanders and take 3 hp of the Hellhound in overwatch (before being crushed under its tracks).

Still got a lot to learn with the army, but it can only get better.

Had my first game with my GSC. It was a lot of fun, even though I lost horribly.

Played with everything I had painted for the event, against Imperial Guard (2xCC, 3 barebone squads, Punisher Russ, Hellhound, Basilisk). I rolled very poorly on all my mining lasers and only managed to take 6 hp of the Russ, before they all died.

My best unit was definitly my Alphus who in two rounds managed to kill both Company Commanders and take 3 hp of the Hellhound in overwatch (before being crushed under its tracks).

Still got a lot to learn with the army, but it can only get better.

Gah, that ambush ability is insane. Feels like playing Space Crusade as the Chaos side.

Vossyvo, That middle ones always makes me think that she is running too fast and just lost her balance, the arms are in such a panic.  

Probably running to her death as fast as possible, arco-flagellation does not sound pleasant.

I've finisished up the 2nd part of my vow, and complete my original goal of painting the entire SoB box set.

28th of Feb in Australia (8PM).

1047060-Adepta%20Sororitas%2C%20Order%20

Edited by vossyvo

Vossyvo, nicely done and completing the entire box.

Dreagher, keep playing and keep learning.

Gederas, you got so much done in the last four months! And more stuff on the go.

Zephaniah, I have done various crack and industrial/city schemes for other armies (such as my Deathwatch, 30k Mechanicum and my Ogryns) so was actually thinning of something different from that. Maybe a mossy/overgrown ruble/ruin theme, I did a few tests bases using Astrogranite

and Astrogranite Debris with green contrst/drybrushing green over it to various effect, maybe add some grass to it as well or some browns for muddy areas.

Here is my completed vow. I think the scheme came together well from the concept stage.

I also decided to do the orange/red cloth a bit differently as it was more efficient this way but it does end up as a slightly different shade, it is not as red as in the picturetre and both are still ornage, but the new method is a bit reader.

Essentially rather than doing two coats of gryph-hound orange contrast over wraithbone I am doing one coat of the same gryph-hound orange over jokaero orange. The jokaero is much better/effacement to do the base of the cloth as it has better coverage if I get some of the other paints onto it and need to correct it compared to wraithbone (which often needed many coats to cover up mistakes with the bronze instead of one/two that needed with jokaero).

First the units I have completed this month:

gallery_29932_13153_59956.jpg

And all together to fulfill my Patrol, with some spare models such as the lone crusader who I just did for fun in about a day earlier this week, I’ll need to get some friends for him at some point.

gallery_29932_13153_43227.jpg

It isn’t really visible in the pictures but imperial I, purity seals and similar are in gold, fleur de lees and wings are in silver and skulls are in metallic red (because of the AdMech subtheme) and any skull that is large enough for me to do it will be half silver (again playing into to the AsMech theme).

Edited by Trokair

I'm afraid life got in the way the last couple of weeks and I've failed my vow - I couldn't finish my Lord of Contagion in time to meet the patrol minimum. So it's just some plague marines and poxwalkers done.

On the plus side, I've been enjoying painting them immensely, and will definitely keep going. Even if I still need to keep experimenting some more to get the marshy bases quite right!

http://i.imgur.com/FRUlXWvh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wtkvwtUh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ospKbdch.jpg

Facing the Unknown II is now over.

A summary will come shortly.

Arkhanist, sorry to hear that life threw a roadblock at you but I am glad to hear that you did enjoy painting your Nurgle follows. I have to say they do look great and I hope you find the time to finish the Lord of Contagion and any other Deathguard brethren you have lined up.

In total, I put together and fully painted for my Raven Guard since the event started:

One Primaris Chapter Master Kayvaan Shrike,

One Captain in Phobos Armor,

One Librarian in Phobos Armor,

One Lieutenant in Phobos Armor,

One Lieutenant in Tacticus Armor with Power Sword,

One Chaplain with Jump Pack and Plasma Pistol,

Ten Primaris Infiltrators, with Helix Adept,

Twenty Primaris Intercessors with Bolt Rifles and one Power Fist per squad,

One Dreadnought with Missile Launcher and Assault Cannon,

Five Tartaros Terminators with Chainfists, one Reaper Autocannon, a Grenade Harness and one Plasma Blaster,

Five Primaris Reivers with Combat Knives and Heavy Bolt Pistols,

Three Primaris Suppressors,

Five Primaris Hellblasters with Plasma Incinerators,

Six Primaris Eliminators with Bolt Sniper Rifles, divided into two squads.

In addition, for the faction of the Space Wolves, as an ally, I fully built and painted:

One Primaris Battle Leader with Power Axe and Bolt Carbine,

Five Primaris Intercessors with Auto Bolt Rifles, one Aux. Grenade Launcher and one Power Fist,

Three Primaris Aggressors with Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets and Fragstorm Grenade Launchers,

And a single Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought with Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod and Macro Plasma Incinerator.

Finally, for the faction of the Adeptus Custodes, as an ally, I fully built, but did not finish painting:

One Shield-Captain with Castellan Axe and Misericordia,

Six Custodian Guard with Guardian Spears and Misericordia,

Three Custodian Guard with Sentinel Blades and Storm Shields,

Three Custodian Wardens with Castellan Axes and Misericordia,

Two Vexillus Praetors with Vexilla, Storm Shield and Misericordia.

In total, I have enough options and models loyal to the Imperium to field:

One Battalion of the Raven Guard,

One Vanguard of the Raven Guard,

One Spearhead of the Raven Guard,

One Patrol of the Space Wolves,

One Vanguard of the Adeptus Custodes.

Just a full breakdown of my relevant-to-this-army hobby work since the start of this challenge. :biggrin.:

Facing the Unknown II Summary of Event

After four months of hobbying and learning our new armies we each have certainly made inroads, some more than others. Thank you all for taking part and I hope you all got as much out of it as I did.

All together we had twenty participants this time round, 10 Imperial, 5 Xenos and 4 Chaos and 1 Titan (Kudos to point_Zer0 for attempting this). Eight participants completed their first vow (with several completing additional vows) and several more got rather close to completing their vows but unforeseen circumstance interfered.

This is all very similar to the first Facing the Unknown with the same number of completions and similar distributions of factions. In fact we technically had a higher completion rate this time as there where two less participants but the same number of first vows completed.

I had anticipated more participants joining after the holidays season as I expected people would start new armies with the goodies received but I guess that I did not advertise the event enough and people were not aware, that or my assumption about when people might start new armies if just plain wrong, would not be the first time.

Regardless of whether you have completed your vows or not I hope it was a worth wile experience and that if the new army is for you, now that you have learned more about it, that you will continue to grow and learn as you collect, and play the army. Feel free to post updates as you make further progress. I know a few found that their chosen army was not really for them at this time and I wish you best of luck with your next project and army.

All who completed their vows can have the following badge in their signature if they wish. Additionally anybody who has failed their vow at the moment but finds the time to redeem themselves by finishing their vow in the future may then also claim the badge at that point.

gallery_29932_13153_7302.jpg

I still suck at making banners and badges, but I hope it is good enough.

Alphabetical list of participants with completed vows, with links to completed vows

Azaiel: Orks
Dreagher: Genestealer Cult , Additional 1 , Additional 2
Focslain: Tau , Additional
Gederas: Night Lordsl , Additional
Hymnblade: Black Templars
Trokair: Adepta Sororitas
Vosyvo: Adepta Sororitas , Additional
Zephaniah Adriyen: Raven Guard

Alphabetical list of participants with outstanding vows, with links to most recent progress (that I could find, feel free to post more up to date progress if you have it)

01RTB01: Dark Eldar
Arkhanist: Death Guard
Blackheart1223: Space Marine (Astral Claws)
Custom Hero: Space Marine (Knights of Lydda)
FlakMonkey - Adepta Sororitas
Heckus: Genestealer Cult
Larkyn: Space Wolves
Nusphigor: Chaos Space Marine (Night Lords)
Overwhelming Odds: Grey Knights
point_Zer0: Adeptus Titanicus
Slave to Darkness: Imperial Guard
TrawlingCleaner: Death Guard

Forfeits

While only a few of us included forfeits in our vows those of us who did and did not finish should now attempt to try and fulfill them.

01RTB01’s forfeit was to do something of our choosing, any suggestions?
Arkhanist’s forfeit was to paint an ultramarine character, any idea who you want to paint?
Custom Hero’s forfeit was a task of our choosing, any suggestions?
TrawlingCleaner’s forfeit a task of our choosing, any suggestions?

For the three of you who left your forfeit in your fellow participant’s hands I personally would suggest the task of either doing 6 objective markers that are on theme for your army. However other participants may have better suggestions. Let us know.

Once again thank you all for taking part and best of luck for continuing and future projects.

Good to hear that you have made progress, and you are not the only one who got close to finishing and life got in the way, it happens. The important thing is that you are in a better position now than when you started.

Share a picture of what you have managed when you have the time. :)