Tactical Terminators in 8th

Gree

I think hammernators are really for white scars. Without advance and charge the 5" move is crippling. Its like adding -1 to each subsequent move or failed charge. Plus WS can double move and adv while stacking modifiers. 10 with 6 claws is 362 pts and moves like a vanguard vets squad with double wounds and 2+ armour. T3 those claws are d2.

Terminators in IH is probably the hardest to find a reason for.

Edited by Brom MKIV

...aside from the high durability I just mentioned?

True, they would be on par with blight lords. Hmm BLTs prefer to be in assault but still act as bully units. Hammers could handle heavy lifting too.. Although an army focused around heavy weaponry has less need for that.

Either way it's a cool thought and I'd like to see it play.

I still don't think they are as good as WS assault termies though.

One other thing to consider with Terminators is their potential use as a mid-field bully unit from T2 onwards. Deep strike them into ruins where they can use their threat radius to make a couple of objectives look like a very unappealing place for any enemy unit to be. Most competitive environments have LOS blocking on the ground floor of ruins so those terminators are well hidden from the sorts of weapons which are good at removing them. Most of the ignore-LOS weapons in the game will really struggle to remove a unit of terminators in cover.

I prefer the tactical terminators for this role because between their massed bolter fire and powerfists they are a credible threat to most things which might want to come and sit on those objectives and can be a viable threat to units on more than one objective in the same turn.

Other units can fill that role but unless you have reserve tricks in your chapter they will have to walk across the table to get there which means your opponent has a chance to kill or deplete them while they are out in the open. Terminators come with their own delivery mechanism  built in.

IH do Hammernators better than anyone else, I think. 2+, 3++, 5+++ (with strat) and layer Transhuman Physiology on top and they'll be hard to kill. And if you take a Land Raider to transport them, it's more likely to survive that first round of shooting thanks to the FNP and Ironstone (and Psysteel if you get first turn!).

I like this a lot.  I think that Salamanders may edge them out, just because of how strong ignoring -1 AP is for something with a 2+/3++.  Their biggest defensive weakness really is spammed -1AP shots. (particulary D2) and the Sallie Tactic really helps there. These guys can layer in a ton of additional buffs: Drakeskin for T5, Fire Shield for -1 to hit, Obsidion Aquila for a 6+ FNP, and play Self Sacrifice on the unit?  Ridiculously hard to shift and you're forced to shoot at them before anything else.  Not to mention their offensive capability.  Strength of the Primarch is something that makes TH/SS terminators extremely dangerous to T8. (Play Crucible of Battle as well, if you're a CP junkie and want to wound Knights on 2+)

All in all, I think that a Salamander drop army that includes some TH/SS terminators to play around with Self Sacrifice to cover for Flamer Aggressors or high damage output troops is extremely interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're viewing Tactical Terminators as a purely- or even predominantly- melee unit, you're doing it wrong. Fury of the First, Tactical Doctrine, and Bolter Discipline combine to give them exquisite stand off capabilities. Whereas most deep striking units want to land as close as possible to get within charge or rapid fire range, Tactical Terminators can land up to 24" out and still fire at full effectiveness; if you're an Ultramarine or Successor, it's even better. This gives you a dramatic amount of flexibility in where you land when deep striking; maybe you need to babysit an objective, or you land near a charge target but want to shoot something else.

Mileage may vary based on Chapter or army build, of course, but the power fists for me are a backup to the stormbolters with this new codex.

This covers most of what you need to know. Tactical terminators are a solid midfield bully unit with their own delivery system. Fury of the first overcomes the -1 to hit on powerfists and bolter discipline/tactical doctrine souped up all bolter weapons.

RG probably get more mileage out of Aggressors or Assault Centurions, but they can be pretty handy in the other chapters.

I think they're a better distraction carnifex type unit that assault terminators in all the books apart from White Scars (because advance and charge). You can layer chaplain buffs on them for some solid gains. I prefer Invictor suits for my distraction carnifex build but there's pros and cons of both. For 200 points with a chainfist and Cyclone, they ain't bad