Ritual of the Damned - Psychic Awakening

Berwald

There now truly will be no escape from the glorious and terrible Dark Angels. REPENT FOR TOMORROW YOU DIE

a big worry i have is that magnus suddenly get a massive power boost and its codex: magnus ft the thousand sons all over again. we had this problem in 7th edition and its very easy for them to tip it again and suddenly magnus becomes wildly too powerful for his own good. id like to argue thats why we have sister of silence at all and that burning of prospero box set was turned into a thing because oh shiii we screwed up and made magnus pay 2 win guys srry.

it would be very easy for them to do that again in order to sell us inquisition down the line or knights, or even new orks to rebalance the power scale everything would then be on.

magnus can single handled tip us back into 7th edition age of magic dice or bust army lists

I guess it would be for any Master with the DEATHWING keyword. Currently this applies only to Masters in Terminator Armour, but you can spend 1CP to give any Master the DEATHWING keyword. Basically allows you to create a Lazarus-lite Master I guess?

Also means we now have 3 relic swords :biggrin.:

If all of this is true, it would be a decent boost for the DA. The doctrine sounds good and I already love the combined assault-stratagem - it's the first time, our Deathwing will actually do something! The only thing I am concerned about is the possibility of getting CPs. We might still pay the "tax" of 3 Scout-Squads for filling a battalion, but maybe there is more charming way in the book to aquire CPs. 

There now truly will be no escape from the glorious and terrible Dark Angels. REPENT FOR TOMORROW YOU DIE

a big worry i have is that magnus suddenly get a massive power boost and its codex: magnus ft the thousand sons all over again. we had this problem in 7th edition and its very easy for them to tip it again and suddenly magnus becomes wildly too powerful for his own good. id like to argue thats why we have sister of silence at all and that burning of prospero box set was turned into a thing because oh shiii we screwed up and made magnus pay 2 win guys srry.

it would be very easy for them to do that again in order to sell us inquisition down the line or knights, or even new orks to rebalance the power scale everything would then be on.

magnus can single handled tip us back into 7th edition age of magic dice or bust army lists

Magnus is one army. If TS get bonkers broken shut don’t play them

I guess it would be for any Master with the DEATHWING keyword. Currently this applies only to Masters in Terminator Armour, but you can spend 1CP to give any Master the DEATHWING keyword. Basically allows you to create a Lazarus-lite Master I guess?

Also means we now have 3 relic swords :biggrin.:

Many relic swords Is Always good

Azrael has one

Sammael has one

Belial has one

Lazarus has one

And the we have more generic relic swords for all other characters

Swords for everyone! :D

If all of this is true, it would be a decent boost for the DA. The doctrine sounds good and I already love the combined assault-stratagem - it's the first time, our Deathwing will actually do something! The only thing I am concerned about is the possibility of getting CPs. We might still pay the "tax" of 3 Scout-Squads for filling a battalion, but maybe there is more charming way in the book to aquire CPs. 

From what we've seen, I doubt that there are new mechanics to allow CP generation - specifically bikes will stay as Fast Attack, terminators as Elite choices.

We're rumoured to get access to the Intercessor stratagems, which make them much more potent, and thus much more viable as a troops choice. If you successfully pop the litany, then use the Rapid Fire stratagem, then all of a sudden your intercessor squad will move 6", then dish out 20 S4 AP-1 D1 shots at a 36" range, with re-roll 1's. A bit more punch than a Scout squad.

So basically :

- Aggressors can double tap + Grim Resolve with a 26'' range (Move 5'', 18+3'' weapons) when you pair them with a Chaplain (DA specific litanie)

- A unit of Land Speeder can move & shoot without heavy penalty + Grim Resolve (DA specific litanie) and still benefit from Jink for 1CP

- Deathwing deep strike at 6'' of ennemies if it's at 6'' of Ravenwing too for 2CP... that's expensive and situational but ok, i'll try that

- Talonmaster relic gives +6'' and +1 to hit with shooting... combined with our doctrine he's going to be stronk

- 5+++ Terminators relic on the DW Ancient ?! DW Knights says thank you very much, also thanks to the +1A strat' they are going to wipe hordes left & right

There is some goodness in all of these :)

The Deathwing already have quite a bit.

• Trait to give re-roll wounds against Characters / 8+ wound models. DWK will pulverise with this.
  • Access to +1 hit roll stratagem
  • Access to Transhuman Physiology
  • Potential +1 toughness stratagem
  • Ability to deep strike within 6" with Ravenwing
  • 5+++ for the Deathwing Ancient as well as +1A

There's quite a bit there I believe. I'm looking forward to deploying DWK wrecking balls, which will also get an extra -1AP in the Assault Doctrine.

So basically :

- Aggressors can double tap + Grim Resolve with a 26'' range (Move 5'', 18+3'' weapons) when you pair them with a Chaplain (DA specific litanie)

- A unit of Land Speeder can move & shoot without heavy penalty + Grim Resolve (DA specific litanie) and still benefit from Jink for 1CP

- Deathwing deep strike at 6'' of ennemies if it's at 6'' of Ravenwing too for 2CP... that's expensive and situational but ok, i'll try that

- Talonmaster relic gives +6'' and +1 to hit with shooting... combined with our doctrine he's going to be stronk

- 5+++ Terminators relic on the DW Ancient ?! DW Knights says thank you very much, also thanks to the +1A strat' they are going to wipe hordes left & right

There is some goodness in all of these :smile.:

It's looking like my Caplains are coming back with a vengeance. 

The DW 6" deep strike strat is actually rather good, you've just got to capitalise on it with, say, a 10-man DWK squad with the +1 to hit strat, maybe even re-roll wound vs characters. You can even now try and keep them alive with transhuman physiology and the new +1 T.  All this without supporting characters, imagine what you can do daisy chaining back to a chaplain and ancient?

Hmmm. "There is also a stratagem for +1T on a DEATHWING unit - rumour only"

Perhaps this is a translation mix-up? Maybe this is a revised Inner Circle stratagem that lets you give the Inner Circle ability and DEATHWING keyword to Aggressors - hence the +1T?

But if not, then T5 2+/3++/5+++ only wound on a 4+ DWK are going to be quite the thing!

Edited by Angel of Solitude

I think deployment skill will be a make or break with this super-doctrine. You'll want to deploy in a way that lets you outrange the opponent, but still be in a place that you can burst out of to take objectives. Ravenwing and deepstrike units will help in that regard, but you'll probably still want some Defender of Humanity units to back them up. The Chaplain litany (fire as is stationary) will also be useful. I know the immediate reaction was to pair it with Aggressors, but a 10 man squad (Grim Resolve, yes) of Veteran Intercessors (with the Chaplain) walking up to an objective while taking advantage of their firing stratagems and defensive stratagems (Transhuman Physiology, etc) will be very hard to shift. If the Chaplain is positioned currently, once the Veteran Intercessors are on the objective, he can switch the litany to a follow up squad. Alternatively, if he knows two litanies he can swap to Catachism of Fire to buff the now stationary Veteran Intercessors. I'd guess by this point the extra range wouldn't matter as much and one could switch to Tactical Doctrine. Pop Rapid Fire stratagem for up to 40 Str4 AP-2 re-roll 1s to hit and gain +1 to wound rolls against the closet target.

Heck, just using Rapid Fire on turn one with a Lieutenant nearby for 36" range 40 Str4 AP-1 shots re-rolling 1s to hit and 1s to wound is quite nice.

What I like is the kind of delivery service you can make for the Deathwing now.

It is expensive (costing 4 cp total), but you could grab a small team of Ravenwing Bikers, make them advance twice in a turn for 40" range in total. Second turn, you can make them move twice again, for 28" additional inches. That gives you 68" of range covered by the bikes in under two turns. So, you could potentially outmaneuver most chaff lines, and find a sweet spot for the Deathwing to arrive.

The enemy cannot hide from that kind of speed and maneuverability.

I do think that this new rules will make it much more necessary to play double batallions in lists. You need some serious amounts of CP to power all of these new rules.

That's some crazy-level of maneuverability for sure. Not sure it's completely optimal though - we've been blessed with extra range to take out chaff from afar, so a more direct route is possible. I'm also playing with the idea of using a Ravenwing character to be my homing beacon, using forward deployed scouts to shield them.

In terms of battalions, I'm currently looking at my list and wondering (a) do I really need Masters for that re-roll 1's to hit, and (b) can I afford the Darkshroud?