Ritual of the Damned - Psychic Awakening

Berwald

Don't think the Lion will show up in the middle of an event that already has more releases announced.

Not sure I'd want for it to be released like this. Would be kind of an underwhelming reveal, wouldn't it?

We won't see the primarch of the Dark Angels. GW have already said that the timeline of PA is filling out the 100 years or so of the Indomitus Crusade, and given that the Lion isn't around at the end of the crusade, it's unlikely he'll appear in the middle of it all...

Also, fluff-wise I don't believe that the first engagement we see of the Lion will be alongside Grey Knights fighting Thousand Sons. GW have already set-up the Luther / Daemon Prince "Lion" Marbas plotline, we need to see that expanded on before we get the Primarch Lion.

Just looking through out existing characters, as well as some of the 30k rules, I think it's highly unlikely that Lazarus will be armed with anything other than some kind of power sword. After all:

Azrael - S+2, AP-3, d3D, Mortal wound on 6+

Belial - S+1, AP-3, 2D, 2+ to wound

Sammael - S+1 AP-3 2D, Sx2 if charged

Ezekiel - S+1, AP-3, d3D, +1D if PSYKER

If he's going to be a character killer, then he might have a similar profile to Ezekiel's sword, but with +1D if CHARACTER instead. This might also go hand-in-hand with some ability that gives him and a nearby unit a 6" Heroic Intervention / Consolidation role. So load him and 5 Primaris in an Impulsor, send it up the table, and go smash.

I really do wonder what he will bring to the table that you cannot accomplish already with any other unit.

Most named characters are already deadly im hand to hand combat.

Regular characters already boost units in close combat well enough.

Champions are already quite good at killing characters.

The only area where I think this new master could distinguish himself, would be in the charge phase, or in how models target characters (either having an extended heroic intervention reach, or maybe even allowing units to snipe at characters).

That could be kinda cool.

Maybe a character that makes use of Grim Resolve to greater effect, granting models around him that do not move a way to snipe at characters? Maybe only with pistols, rapid fire, and assault weapons, to exclude heavy weapons as a way of not allowing the ability to become too OP. Might combine well with a boost to the tactical doctrine, if we get it?

I really could see that. GIve him some sort of Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle - S5 perhaps instead of S4 - and then give him an ability to allow intercessor squads within 6" to target Characters / ignore the penalty to hit when moving with heavy weapons (i.e. Stalker bolters).

When doing some research about which 40K Primarch could be the next in line, i've come into some fluff from the Ashes of Prospero book released a year ago :

(Njal is relaying the vision he had to Logan)

“What of the wolf king?”

Njal did not answer at first, dismayed by what he saw as desperation in the stare of his feal lord.

“No sign?”

“None my lord. There are stirrings, tempests through which even I cannot gaze. Even so, I saw a sleeper entombed in rock and a white storm that rode upon a chariot of lightning.”

So a vision about the Lion and Jaghatai Khan.

Maybe this opinion will be highly unpopular, but I would prefer the primarchs to stay in 30k. I always loved old Blanche's artworks, stylish and "blurry", which made primarchs look like 10000 year old legends, this made them feel special. Now when you can kill Guilliman on regular 40k battlefield it's watered to the point where he's nothing more than a UM unit.

So I don't want Lion or any other loyal primarchs to return. Perturabo and Angron - sure, they had significant presence in fluff for a long time, but not loyalists. I liked how Night Lords in ADB's trilogy said that the age of primarchs is over because they failed, and it's only their sons who matter.

Maybe this opinion will be highly unpopular, but I would prefer the primarchs to stay in 30k. I always loved old Blanche's artworks, stylish and "blurry", which made primarchs look like 10000 year old legends, this made them feel special. Now when you can kill Guilliman on regular 40k battlefield it's watered to the point where he's nothing more than a UM unit.

So I don't want Lion or any other loyal primarchs to return. Perturabo and Angron - sure, they had significant presence in fluff for a long time, but not loyalists. I liked how Night Lords in ADB's trilogy said that the age of primarchs is over because they failed, and it's only their sons who matter.

I am under the impression that this is, in actuallity, a vero POPULAR opinion, in many places.

I mostly hope it turns out to be Azrael as my lists would benefit more from 'reroll all hits' as opposed to a company master who only offers reroll 1s and cannot be made into a chapter master. I'm holding off on building my Primaris Captain kit until Christmas day, not sure what to build him in to yet.

On the Primarchs, I mostly agree, but if GW release 1 loyalist Primarch every 4 years or so (makes them so much money, can't blame them) I'm not angry about it.

I would have liked to see the Pandorax story line continued. Epimetheus would have been an interesting character for both Dark Angels and Grey Knights.

I think this got shuffled away with Abaddon's new status quo of rampaging around the Imperium Nihilis.

The infuriating thing is that a "move and shoot heavy weapons with no penalty" would be a great fit for the Dark Angels:

Ravenwing - unleash the incredible firepower of bike, speeder and flyer-mounted heavy weapons in a blitzing turn 1 assault

Greenwing - thematic, stoical advance into position whilst unleashing lethal volleys. Then turn 2, Grim Resolve gives you a re-roll 1 to hit as you fortify and hold your position.

But alas - Iron Hands already have that.

The reason for thinking a tactical doctrine is that it would coincide with a turn 2 Deathwing Assault somehow. Exactly how I'm not sure.

The Ultramarines have a super doctrine which also lets them move and fire heavy weapons without penalty. It's not impossible we get something that let's us do so. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but it is possible. As for Deathwing, Deathwing Assault with AP-1 storm bolters and no penalty to hit assault or plasma cannons would be delightful.

Oh I’ve also been told a dedicated melee primaris unit is coming this year.

That would fit with a summer 2020 ninth edition release and mirror the Age of Sigmar Stormcast Eternal Wave 3 release with AoS 2nd edition.

GW have already set-up the Luther / Daemon Prince "Lion" Marbas plotline, we need to see that expanded on before we get the Primarch Lion.

This ^. The Dark Angels/Deathguard 30k/40k meta-narrative had it's conclusion prior to Warzone: Fenris and isn't mentioned at all in the 8th edition codex. Luther and Marbas both made the 8th edition codex along with Warzone: Fenris fluff and Warzone: Stygius continued the Dark Angels versus Changehosts narrative.

However, there's been no mention of the Fallen and their faction symbol wasn't included in the big reveal. I have... speculations... about what went down behind the scenes for Rise of the Primarch and I don't think we'll see any firm advance of the Fallen plotline until GW is ready to have another huge setting change. 

My guess is that the set up is Magnus inviting all the unbound psykers from the newly conquered Stygius sector to come to Prospero as its new population or for some ritual. The Dark Angels, furious at having to abandon Stygius on the word of some filthy xenos, have been striking at troop movements between the two while preparing to attack Prospero. The Grey Knights are already in position because they've been purging the Fenris system on-and-off since the initial demonic incursion.

New teaser about PA4 :

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/12/22/what-surprises-await-this-christmas/

acd43cb4.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2019/51/7/1577032903-sword.jpg

It has the DA sword on it... hmmm... i'm HYPED !

---

EDIT :

local store told me the lion was preorder xmas day i maY HAVE TOLD HIM TO GO PLAY WITH THE NIDS BUT NOW........

Add a ton of salt. But... what if ?

Edited by Elijah

Just an assumption popped in my head right now.
In 30K-era Dark  Angels had Hexagrammaton, six Wings. Most of them suddenly disappeared after the Caliban disaster.
Currently we have 2.5-3 of them (Deathwing, Ravenwing and to some degree Ironwing).
I think, it would be a great idea to dispatch all Primaris Marines into the new Wing, with unique role on the battlefield, as the other Wings have.
So Lazarus can become a Company Master of this Primaris Wing.
Yes, it's just a wishlist, but who knows, who knows...

Edited by Darmor

Just an asssumption popped in my head right now.

In 30K-era Dark  Angels had Hexagrammaton, six Wings. Most of them suddenly disappeared after the Caliban disaster.

Currently we have 2.5-3 of them (Deathwing, Ravenwing and to some degree Ironwing).

I think, it would be a great idea to dispatch all Primaris Marines into the new Wing, with unique role on the battlefield, as the other Wings have.

So Lazarus can become a Company Master of this Primaris Wing.

Yes, it's just a wishlist, but who knows, who knows...

But a new Wing means specific paintjob, i'm not sure people that already owns Primaris would be pleased.