Ritual of the Damned - Psychic Awakening

Berwald

GW have already set-up the Luther / Daemon Prince "Lion" Marbas plotline, we need to see that expanded on before we get the Primarch Lion.

This ^. The Dark Angels/Deathguard 30k/40k meta-narrative had it's conclusion prior to Warzone: Fenris and isn't mentioned at all in the 8th edition codex. Luther and Marbas both made the 8th edition codex along with Warzone: Fenris fluff and Warzone: Stygius continued the Dark Angels versus Changehosts narrative..

Ok, so I'm reading thru this again. Are the only mentions to Luther's new mustering of the fallen and the Demon prince Marbas limited to our Codex?

Have they appeared in any recent Black Library books?

I have more fluffy info, this time something which you can likely expect to replace a "Psychic Anomaly Detected" blurb...

"Empowered, and delighted, by the malefic energies pouring through the Great Rift, Magnus the Red and his Thousand Sons have been weaving an elaborate plan to bring vengeance and ruin to their ancient enemies. Savaging Fenris – home of the Space Wolves – was just the beginning. The Daemon Primarch's next step summoned the daemonic Planet of the Sorcerers into realspace, and in the third act he restored Prospero itself, ruined millennia ago during the opening events of the Horus Heresy. The unlikeliest of allies came to the defence of the Fenris System in the end – the Dark Angels and Daemon-hunting Grey Knights. Both, however, sustained heavy losses. The Dark Angels have been reinforced with half-trusted Primaris Space Marines, whilst the ranks of the Grey Knights swell from the surge in psychically sensitive recruits. Now, these defenders, after millennia of distrust, must stand united if they are to have any hope of countering the machinations of the Crimson King"

Edited by Archaeinox

Dark vengeance is again here, at this point even the rest of you need to feel insulted that we don't have our own start collecting box set or kill team box set and instead they've decided to cart out dark vengeance AGAIN to somehow make up for the fact we were neglected for a whole year and possibly a whole edition if rumors of a summer 8.5 edition are true

Dark vengeance is again here, at this point even the rest of you need to feel insulted that we don't have our own start collecting box set or kill team box set and instead they've decided to cart out dark vengeance AGAIN to somehow make up for the fact we were neglected for a whole year and possibly a whole edition if rumors of a summer 8.5 edition are true

I'm not insulted, but that's primarily because the Dark Angels have long been on the road to the sort of identity crisis which makes it very hard for a concept team to plan out where to go. Second and the earlier days of third edition were relatively light on background and stories compared to the mid-2000s and onward. As the individual sub-factions got fleshed out there was a lot of diminishing what made the Dark Angels stand out.

Third edition codex comes out. The accompanying White Dwarf contains almost all of the existing fluff at the time and helps to establish the Chapter's warrior-monk culture descended from the knights of the Order. The reader/player is left to extrapolate what this means as  there is little detail. The holy trinity of Dark Angel stories at this point is DeathwingThe Black Pearl, and Eye of Terror (the last of which has faded into oblivion from current lore considerations). Deathwing is the only one which examines the Dark Angels beyond their relationship with the Fallen.

Codex: Armageddon and a massive expansion of lore for the Black Templars. The Black Templars explicitly get the knightly trappings; Teutonic in nature.

Index Astartes: The Unforgiven in White Dwarf. A comprehensive repackaging of much of the chapter lore from Codex: Angels of Death and earlier White Dwarfs. By this point it is firmly established that the Lion and Russ were the only two Primarchs to approach Horus's tally of victories, they were fighting alongside each other on the far side of the galaxy when the Heresy began and made the trek to Terra together. Russ insisted they stop to help beleaguered loyalists along the way so the Lion blamed him for arriving too late. The Fallen are explicitly referred to as the driving force behind the Chapter's actions.

Index Astartes: Emperor's Fist in White Dwarf. The Dark Angels are replaced by the Imperial Fists as the most stubborn, intractable, don't fall back even when they should chapter. "Their dogged resistance against overwhelming odds is legendary. In situations where even other Space Marines would fall back, the [guess the chapter] will fight to the bitter end rather than give ground to their foes. This is also reflected in their stubborn refusal to move in the face of the enemy, even in situations where it would sometimes be tactically beneficial to do so."

That's Dark Angels description, but at this point in time would you be able to tell?

Angels of Darkness is released. Gav Thorpe challenges everyone with a simple question: What does it mean to be a Dark Angel? Many seeds are sown and many factions form within the Dark Angels community. The ones with the longest lasting impact were pride in being the First Founding chapter of the First Legion and friction between Terran and Calibanite factions within the legion.

Horus Rising is released, 'nuff said.

Descent of Angels is released. It focuses overwhelmingly on the friction within the Dark Angels legion and on the surface it fosters an impression that the Lion is one awkward duck in dealing with people. At the same time the Order is established as knights, but knights organized like the Illuminati. There is literally one line the Lion offers to Zahariel which goes a long way to explain it: no one on Caliban ever thought to ask if his senses were as super as his strength and toughness; implying that within the closed confines of an echoing stone fortress he's heard a lot of what people say behind other people's backs.

2010+

Horus Heresy novels and short stories are now firmly established and have over-ridden the previous lore of the Lion and Russ being the next most victorious compared to Horus and their deployment at the start of the Heresy and the path to Terra. Leman Russ: The Great Wolf does re-affirm the duel at Dulan, the Lion stabbing Russ after the Siege of Terra, but is vague on if they had made the final journey there together or had independently stayed out in the void too long. Fallen Angels and the Dark Angels short stories are a mess of contradictions and there's no firm identity or culture to the First Legion. Gav Thorpe is brought in to smooth out some of this and Angels of Caliban is released in 2016. It is rumored that the new material regarding the Hexagrammaton are from Alan Bligh's notes for the Forge World black book Dark Angels. Horus Heresy: Retribution is released in 2016 with, especially in retrospect, very odd rules compared to other legions. At this point in time the Dark Angels are the most contradictory, least defined, and most poorly handled of the 18 legions.

Rise of the Primarch prominently features the Dark Angels in the coronation of Guilliman, but the third faction is Fallen and Cypher gets a new model. Eighth edition and Primaris marines are released. The community is worried about what this means for the future of original marines and in particular unique units like Terminators, Bikers, Assault Marines, Sanguinary Guard, and the like. The Dark Angels (players and in-lore) proceed to lose their heads about what having Primaris in the chapter might mean for the Inner Circle, the Hunt, etc. The player base, in particular, also worries about what this means for Deathing Terminators, Ravenwing Bikers, and the various Land Speeder variants unique to the chapter.

TL;DR: The Dark Angels were (unintentionally) set up to fail. They have a number of mechanically unique vehicle units which are safe from Primaris creep, but their iconic units, the Deathwing Terminator and Ravenwing Biker (and variants thereof), are in purgatory along with Space Marine Terminators and Bikers in general. The stress on the Fallen and the Inner Circle creates a difficulty incorporating Primaris units that doesn't exist anywhere else. They have no other defining feature to help smooth the transition because they were parceled out to other factions over time. The Dark Angels are a hot mess and we won't see any meaningful progress for them as a product line until someone sets the party line behind the scenes.

Edited by jaxom

10am GMT. Perfect timing just as the kids have unwrapped all their presents and are quietly playing away.

Or as I'm just getting up after Midnight Mass and settling down with a coffee.

Come to think of it, masses at midnight is a very Unforgivenesque thing...

I'm not insulted, but that's primarily because the Dark Angels have long been on the road to the sort of identity crisis which makes it very hard for a concept team to plan out where to go. Second and the earlier days of third edition were relatively light on background and stories compared to the mid-2000s and onward. As the individual sub-factions got fleshed out there was a lot of diminishing what made the Dark Angels stand out.

Third edition codex comes out. The accompanying White Dwarf contains almost all of the existing fluff at the time and helps to establish the Chapter's warrior-monk culture descended from the knights of the Order. The reader/player is left to extrapolate what this means as there is little detail. The holy trinity of Dark Angel stories at this point is Deathwing, The Black Pearl, and Eye of Terror (the last of which has faded into oblivion from current lore considerations). Deathwing is the only one which examines the Dark Angels beyond their relationship with the Fallen.

Codex: Armageddon and a massive expansion of lore for the Black Templars. The Black Templars explicitly get the knightly trappings; Teutonic in nature.

Index Astartes: The Unforgiven in White Dwarf. A comprehensive repackaging of much of the chapter lore from Codex: Angels of Death and earlier White Dwarfs. By this point it is firmly established that the Lion and Russ were the only two Primarchs to approach Horus's tally of victories, they were fighting alongside each other on the far side of the galaxy when the Heresy began and made the trek to Terra together. Russ insisted they stop to help beleaguered loyalists along the way so the Lion blamed him for arriving too late. The Fallen are explicitly referred to as the driving force behind the Chapter's actions.

Index Astartes: Emperor's Fist in White Dwarf. The Dark Angels are replaced by the Imperial Fists as the most stubborn, intractable, don't fall back even when they should chapter. "Their dogged resistance against overwhelming odds is legendary. In situations where even other Space Marines would fall back, the [guess the chapter] will fight to the bitter end rather than give ground to their foes. This is also reflected in their stubborn refusal to move in the face of the enemy, even in situations where it would sometimes be tactically beneficial to do so."

That's Dark Angels description, but at this point in time would you be able to tell?

Angels of Darkness is released. Gav Thorpe challenges everyone with a simple question: What does it mean to be a Dark Angel? Many seeds are sown and many factions form within the Dark Angels community. The ones with the longest lasting impact were pride in being the First Founding chapter of the First Legion and friction between Terran and Calibanite factions within the legion.

Horus Rising is released, 'nuff said.

Descent of Angels is released. It focuses overwhelmingly on the friction within the Dark Angels legion and on the surface it fosters an impression that the Lion is one awkward duck in dealing with people. At the same time the Order is established as knights, but knights organized like the Illuminati. There is literally one line the Lion offers to Zahariel which goes a long way to explain it: no one on Caliban ever thought to ask if his senses were as super as his strength and toughness; implying that within the closed confines of an echoing stone fortress he's heard a lot of what people say behind other people's backs.

2010+

Horus Heresy novels and short stories are now firmly established and have over-ridden the previous lore of the Lion and Russ being the next most victorious compared to Horus and their deployment at the start of the Heresy and the path to Terra. Leman Russ: The Great Wolf does re-affirm the duel at Dulan, the Lion stabbing Russ after the Siege of Terra, but is vague on if they had made the final journey there together or had independently stayed out in the void too long. Fallen Angels and the Dark Angels short stories are a mess of contradictions and there's no firm identity or culture to the First Legion. Gav Thorpe is brought in to smooth out some of this and Angels of Caliban is released in 2016. It is rumored that the new material regarding the Hexagrammaton are from Alan Bligh's notes for the Forge World black book Dark Angels. Horus Heresy: Retribution is released in 2016 with, especially in retrospect, very odd rules compared to other legions. At this point in time the Dark Angels are the most contradictory, least defined, and most poorly handled of the 18 legions.

Rise of the Primarch prominently features the Dark Angels in the coronation of Guilliman, but the third faction is Fallen and Cypher gets a new model. Eighth edition and Primaris marines are released. The community is worried about what this means for the future of original marines and in particular unique units like Terminators, Bikers, Assault Marines, Sanguinary Guard, and the like. The Dark Angels (players and in-lore) proceed to lose their heads about what having Primaris in the chapter might mean for the Inner Circle, the Hunt, etc. The player base, in particular, also worries about what this means for Deathing Terminators, Ravenwing Bikers, and the various Land Speeder variants unique to the chapter.

TL;DR: The Dark Angels were (unintentionally) set up to fail. They have a number of mechanically unique vehicle units which are safe from Primaris creep, but their iconic units, the Deathwing Terminator and Ravenwing Biker (and variants thereof), are in purgatory along with Space Marine Terminators and Bikers in general. The stress on the Fallen and the Inner Circle creates a difficulty incorporating Primaris units that doesn't exist anywhere else. They have no other defining feature to help smooth the transition because they were parceled out to other factions over time. The Dark Angels are a hot mess and we won't see any meaningful progress for them as a product line until someone sets the party line behind the scenes.

Well here jaxom, how angry would you be if there was nothing else in psychic awakening beyond a bare minimum of content and that we continue a history of them ignoring us and treating us differently because we don't fit some mould.

I'd continue along in my current state of apathy towards the official lore Dark Angel's lore. I decided quite a while back that I wouldn't spend anytime focusing on the negative, but I'd focus on hobby projects which make me happy and positive contributions to B&C/community conversations. I'm not perfect and I've had occasional lapses in that regard. I've never played Dark Angels because of their rules. I've played them because of what the image of them in my head means to me. There's plenty of ways for me to keep that connection and plenty of  space to stretch my creative-legs. So long as I use appropriate rules, no one cares that the Dark Angels army I use is from an alternate universe using my fanfiction version of their role in the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy. When I feel the urge to scratch the Space Marine itch I keep working on my Dark Angel's successor chapter with the models I still haven't done from Dark Imperium. I still need to test out a lacquer black on metal paint recipe on some Tempestus Scions and decide if it would work for First Legion colour scheme for the long planned true-scale kill-team. I'd also like to finish up  my homebrew version of Grey Knights

My guess for christmas reveal, chapter tactic and doctrines for us, with a focus on plasma and a Deathwing Aggressor datasheet, and some kind of unique litany revealed

The christmas box is the made to order Dark Vengeance box that sneaked out recently, just in time for PA:4

No Lion yet, or maybe just the 30k Lion reveal

“ For the Dark Angels, this book brings the Chapter into line with recent Space Marines updates, and also includes lots of juicy new rules content, especially for Deathwing and Ravenwing commanders.”

Ooooh!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/12/25/happy-christmas-from-warhammer-communitygw-homepage-post-1/

The only primaris model that look good enough to buy. Not as good as previous Master of the 5th company, but miles ahead of the rest primaris characters. So glad he's not Garadon'ed :biggrin.:

At least, as a Dark Angels player, I can be sure that we get the prettiest stuff.

Edited by Deadman Wade

Don’t know why, but I can’t help but think that in addition to having a psyker-slaying sword, we’ll also get some deny the witch ability - a bit like Black Templars. I think the intention of GW is to boost psychic armies, but also give less-psychic armies a boost to their defence.