Ritual of the Damned - Psychic Awakening

Berwald

So, They re-release The Armies of Vengeance Box set which includes Company Master Balthasar. Then they kill off Balthasar and release Primaris Company Master Lazarus as his replacement. Yet we have Main Dark Angel characters Azrael, Ezekiel, and Asmodai who are all still METAL models and all have the Napoleon complex compared to Primaris models, this after what.. 2 years since Primaris initial release....?

Also of note, The box set contains normal MARINE's, Bikers, and Terminators... Yet are they not currently phasing them out for Primaris? I am really confused with this release.

Yeah that's the thing, GW said they wouldn't phase them out, and by all accounts they are not.

So everyone can have an opinion on the new fellas and it won't impact on those who disagree.

Here at the BnC we can all say how we feel without anyone else getting upset.

It's opinions on toy soldiers.

Both new and old are here for a while yet, take your pick, or choose both.

How about we become the most mature group about it here in the DA forum?

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

So, They re-release The Armies of Vengeance Box set which includes Company Master Balthasar. Then they kill off Balthasar and release Primaris Company Master Lazarus as his replacement. Yet we have Main Dark Angel characters Azrael, Ezekiel, and Asmodai who are all still METAL models and all have the Napoleon complex compared to Primaris models, this after what.. 2 years since Primaris initial release....?

Also of note, The box set contains normal MARINE's, Bikers, and Terminators... Yet are they not currently phasing them out for Primaris? I am really confused with this release.

The newest asmodai is resin, and was released in 2013. Normal marines are not being phased out.

Edited by Robbienw

looking at the character's multi part options, i feel like this was intended to be a generic hero model rather than a special character? that lazarus was more intended to be along the lines of zakariah/tolmeron/haldor than Calgar/Shrike/Mephiston.

makes me think they banked some primaris re-dos of special characters for later. also makes me think that the other chapters might have some generic heroes banked as well (like, they had a generic primaris blood angel captain ready to go in addition to mephiston).

Edited by Wispy

It's not a release, it's Made to Order. It's aimed at folks who would like a chance to acquire models that are not normally sold. More like collector items though some of them may still be usable in game. For example, Naamen hasn't had rules since forever and I don't think the Veteran Sergeant has been available since they stopped selling plastic-and-metal mixed boxes.. 

It could be a feel out of the market, the echo chambers are not necessarily a good reflection of it.

Let's be honest here Stobz.... The Dark Vengeance re-release MTO is more than likely going to sell well, and it's not because of the loyalist Marines in it.... :laugh.:

Chaos Marine players are still waiting on a multipart plastic Chosen kit. I want the MTO Dark Vengeance set because of all of the Chaos Marines in the box (and the uniquely posed Helbrute) for that reason. The Dark Angels are a bonus.

The other ones (Namaan, Classic!Asmodai, Classic!Cypher and that unique Vet Sergeant) are definitely very interesting to me as well though.

Edited by Gederas

Firstborn are not being phased out in favor of primaris...

Just completely ignored.

Of course they are. For decades Firstborn were the best selling product in GW range and Xenos were largely ignored by GW who focused on Space Marines. But nowadays everyone already has purchased Firstborn so Marines 2.0 were the only options to have a market renewal. So now Firstborn get the Xenos treatment to not being the #1 selling products. I understand it can be unfuriating when we used to be the loved child for so long but frankly, between the existing 40K range, the 30K range and the GW lookalike such as Scibor, we have more than enough stuff to build a (large) Firstborn collection. The only problem i got personnally is the renewal of old characters such as Azrael or old kits such as DA Veterans but we can always convert and for that we got a :cussload of bits at our disposal.

Yeah that's the thing, GW said they wouldn't phase them out, and by all accounts they are not.

So everyone can have an opinion on the new fellas and it won't impact on those who disagree.

Here at the BnC we can all say how we feel without anyone else getting upset.

It's opinions on toy soldiers.

Both new and old are here for a while yet, take your pick, or choose both.

How about we become the most mature group about it here in the DA forum?

Exactly. Primaris are not a replacement they are an addition. I personnally am a old fluff lover so i tend to ignore them. Don't see the point to rage about them really.

I think the only reason they rereleased Dark Vengeance is that there is no other DA-Box set they can promote alongside the book.

Unlike the other factions we have no start collecting Box and the sprues ins DV are to interwoven (Da and Chaos in the same sprue) to give it the shadowspear treatment of splitting it up for two boxes.

This release is one example of how it's hard to ignore the new guys.

The only thing really bad about Primaris is how much they have divided the community.

The DA community on here is a broad church of opinions based on thier personal preferences I don't think it's divided.

The re-release is interesting the 2 characters make ideal conversion pieces for Azreal and Ezekiel the bikes are good value and it's a cheap way for chaos to get some fillers.

The least relevant at the momment are the terminators.

Ezekiel2

Az V primaris

Lets not turn thia thread into a Primaris-bash thread, guys.

I think we can leave it at:

1) Primaris are not meant to replace regular marines

2) But most fear that regular marines will become just Legends Marines down the line

3) Still, we are left with plenty of options for building decent "Legends" Armies

4) Its cool that those who like the Primaris models have these new releases

And finally, that what we seriously need is

5) Clear explinations on how the Chapter works with the Primaris models, in relatiom to the DW and the RW

This release is one example of how it's hard to ignore the new guys.

The only thing really bad about Primaris is how much they have divided the community.

Well, GW is also not exactly helping their case with all of the counter-productive Primaris unit armaments (slow guys get short range weapons, fast guys get long range heavy weapons that are -1 to hit when moving being the most egregious), the rather needless slew of units with Str 4 attack profiles, the lack of a close combat unit, and a roll-out period which has even George R.R. Martin saying, "What the :censored:  is taking so long?!" :tongue.:

I think the next Primaris wave will be the one that will seal the deal for many people, assuming it contains Primaris Jetbikes, a heavy close combat unit (whether it be a Primaris Terminator equivalent or Gravis armored unit), and more updated characters. There are so many other armies that really need the attention (Orks and Eldar), and so I can be patient. It is not like I don't already have plenty of models to work on in the mean time. Thankfully I didn't get any new models for Christmas, so I'll pick up Lazarus. The camel's back was broken long ago, and so one more model will not make any difference. Also, on the cover art of the book, I notice that Lazarus may very well have some unique heraldry on his right pauldron after all.

Last, I am very curious to see if any Gravis armored units get sucked into the Deathwing, namely Aggressors. Also Redemptor Dreadnoughts, as that just involves a sarcophagus upgrade and swap to the new dread chassis (i.e. no Rubicon required).

Edited by shabbadoo

Back on topic...

"For the Dark Angels, this book brings the Chapter into line with recent Space Marines updates, and also includes lots of juicy new rules content, especially for Deathwing and Ravenwing commanders."

A lot of people have been calling for RW & especially DW to get some buffs. It looks like at least in some part GW have listened. For me just getting doctrines, litanies and the like would have been par for the course, (my plasma cannon devs are really looking tasty on turn 1 now) but to have what essentially makes DA who they are seemingly buffed too, happy days!

I'm also a glutton for anything DA so will definitely go for Lazarus as 5th company happens to be my Primaris contingent. As for the made to order, do I need a 3rd Naaman... Probably.

Well, the EASIEST way to do this would be through reworks of Inner Circle and Jink, updated stratagems (that replace some of the current ones due to changes to these rules), new warlord traits (one for each force) as well as the ability to bring in a WT for one of each HQs of each force, and maybe new relics.

Love the new Captain. Not over the top and just a Primaris version of the DV-Captain we all love (and they've killed). Too bad they didn't give it a Combi-plasma, but that just makes me believe that an updated Azrael is in the works... eventually. Going to ditch the tilting plate though.

Not a real interest in the boxset, the only thing I'd want are the HQ's. The pewter classics are the most exciting part of the announcement, never had a chance to get my greasy fingers on some of those. Do I really need a fourth Cypher? Yes, I do.

I'd love to see an assault doctrine that was "Units with the Deathwing keyword may deepstrike more than 6" away from enemy models, as long as they do so entirely within 12" of a unit with the Ravenwing keyword".

Works only if you wait until turn 3 for the your deathwing, but makes sure that they actually get into the fight once they do so. At the same time, it balances out on the dependency of managing to position a unit of ravenwing well enough to get them to drop. Which gives your opponent a chance to try and negate your assault by removing the bikes and speeders first.