Psychic Awakening: The Ritual of the Damned

darkseren1ty

The sorcerer reminds me of the one in battle of the fang

+We have lost our taste.+

After reflecting a little more, I think this short story from a TS perspective that is not Ahriman (or some mustache-twirler sorcerer like Madox) is amazing. 

Edited by Archaeinox

The sorcerer reminds me of the one in battle of the fang

+We have lost our taste.+

After reflecting a little more, I think this short story from a TS perspective that is not Ahriman (or some mustache-twirler sorcerer like Madox) is amazing. 

On that note............ I am wondering if Ahriman is even going to be involved in this book. Perhaps its Magnus + some Sorcerers from each cult? 

Given that these cults formed what sounds like AFTER the Rubric.....(speculation time) I think its possible that Ahrimans power disparity with Exalted is about to be addressed somewhat. Ahriman may not have access to these cult powers/abilities/stratagems/traits and would get far more exalted on the table. It was also move more boxes of that kit lol

I am hoping something like this is the case. I'd love to throw down 3x exalted in a game as HQ choices especially If that disparity between an exalted and ahriman (and to an extent princes) is addressed. I am sure everyone here is tired of "well...making a list... auto-slotting Ahriman in an HQ slot regardless of any other choices" and that limits list variety. This may be GWs way of addressing that.  

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

I agree with the Exalteds. A truly fantastic box set with almost no practical application. I have actually bought two of those boxes because the bits are so good for other models. 

I have noticed since 8th ed began that GW has a massive wall put up on redoing datasheets that just don't make sense anymore. If it doesn't have a new model, basically they apply 'fixes' with point reductions. But it is extremely rare that they tweak Datasheets. 

So that being said, and considering the exalted box makes 3 customizable sorcs, it would make me think we could see a 'cabal' of some sort. If Eldar can have a Conclave, this boxset and rules pack would set up nicely to present that option for Thousand Sons without having to rewrite existing datasheets.They get to create a new one which would include some new choices and options (be it psychic or otherwise). 

Thats been a huge pet peeve of mine as well. I don't understand this policy of: updated rules for new models only. If it's a marketing issue, do they not realise that updating old models will still increase sales? At no cost to them, I mean, the model already exists. Sure, a lot of people already have said model, but if it sucked in the first place it would still sell with an easy edit for those on the fence, want a second model, or new players.

A third heldrake point cost drop....gee...thanks gw... totally fixes it! Of course I'm being a bit sarcastic, the heldrake is actually more reasonable now but still not great.

Edited by Ahzek451

I'm not budging on modelling or painting until I see what's going with this [Ritual of the] damned thing.

No, Ahriman has not been mentioned in the fluff, but hopefully the rules extend to him in some way. Surely he will be somewhere in the fiction part of the book...

Me too. I've got a lot of Chaos and other projects to keep me busy. I've jumped head first into these kind of situations before only to regret them so I'm going to wait for a 'proper' reveal.

Not sure how tired or fresh the plot is but with rumors of Harlies getting a PA love maybe he pops up there hot on the heels of Ygraine.

I keep saying I'm shocked they left that storyline just dangling in the wind. The one where to distract Ahriman,  the Ynnnari bring back Rubrics, reverting them to their original Marine entity. It's a big piece that's just been left untouched for a long time. 

It would progress both Aeldari and Thousand Sons. Psychic Awakening is the perfect venue for it.

The last thing in the Codex timeline says that Ahriman has turned his sight to Commorragh and DE already had their PA book. I think this book is our time in the sun and the events between Yvraine and Ahriman were just to promote both factions since they came out round a similar time..

Edited by Archaeinox

This will most likely be Magnus and co. Ahriman is busy trying to hunt down eldar now that he knows they can bring back the rubrics. I don't think he's even a part of the new cults as he was banished before they were set up. Edited by Hathor42

This will most likely be Magnus and co. Ahriman is busy trying to hunt down eldar now that he knows they can bring back the rubrics. I don't think he's even a part of the new cults as he was banished before they were set up.

I'm inclined to be with you on this one- There's really nothing established to show that Ahriman had anything to do in fact if you read the later parts of the Ahriman trilogy, Sortiarius is doing just FINE and busy as heck (scholarly studies wise) without Ahriman so yeah.

Nevertheless, anything he can partake it would be nice. Spells, strats..

This will most likely be Magnus and co. Ahriman is busy trying to hunt down eldar now that he knows they can bring back the rubrics. I don't think he's even a part of the new cults as he was banished before they were set up.

I'm inclined to be with you on this one- There's really nothing established to show that Ahriman had anything to do in fact if you read the later parts of the Ahriman trilogy, Sortiarius is doing just FINE and busy as heck (scholarly studies wise) without Ahriman so yeah.

Nevertheless, anything he can partake it would be nice. Spells, strats..

But does he NEED them? He is already such a beast on the table that he is already heads-and-shoulders (and helmets!) above other Sorcerers to a somewhat drastic extent. 

I hope he DOESN'T get access to anything from the 9 cults. He is already such an auto-include it hurts lol. Though this is a personal quibble, obviously if he DOES I will still gladly use it....but it would be frustrating given how points-efficient he already is.  Attempting to put my bias aside I think he is easily top 5 HQ's in all of Warhammer 40k 8th edition. 

From the thousand sons facebook page (salt as always):

"Friend of a friend got access to the thousand sons preview for the Ritual of the Damned early. You won't believe it, but here is what is coming.

Cults of prospero Resurrected is the mono-faction bonus. Involves giving every psyker in the army a cult keyword, chosen on a psyker by psyker basis, which in turn gives them access to a power, relic, warlord trait, and a pair of stratagems. The powers are optional and replace smite. The ones previewed are Treacherous Translocation (WC7, involves two units swapping place on the table) for the Cult of Duplicity and Empyric Supremacy (WC7, lets you deny an extra power and reroll the attempts) for the cult of magic. The previewed stratagems is soulblaze for 2cp and adds one to the damage to shooting attacks for a Cult of change unit or a non-pysker unit within 9" of a cult of change unit.

There is some mechanism for letting exalted sorcerers take addition warlord traits and cult relics, presumably a stratagem. Summoning doesn't break the mono-faction bonuses, as long as you only summon units included in the Thousand Sons codex, and the Cult of Knowledge has stuff for summoning."

It doesn't sound unreasonable.....but obviously could still be made up. I was kinda wondering if this cult mechanic was going to end up being our second trait...oh well. 

If true...I really hope the translocation spell can work on anything and not specific to infantry (wry grin). 

Edited by Ahzek451

Sounds promising and inline with what that podcast said about "character" to the army. The Change strat is interesting though units we would likely put it on (Rubrics and SOTs) are considered psychers. Itching to know more. Thanks for this tidbit.

Whether true or not gives us something to talk about.

Sounds promising and inline with what that podcast said about "character" to the army. The Change strat is interesting though units we would likely put it on (Rubrics and SOTs) are considered psychers. Itching to know more. Thanks for this tidbit.

Whether true or not gives us something to talk about.

I know right? This particular PA book has been oddly hush hush, delayed, and such.

I'm really curious if magnus and Ahriman can take a cult.....

I really hope the damage strat is true. Such utility if we can throw it on any unit.

Edited by Ahzek451

It is truly amazing how fast this stuff spreads...

I'm suspicious (as I'm sure you are) because it's too close to what I guessed with the Eldar powers. In fact it's nearly identical to the eldar buff except instead of "9 cults" they obviously just swap smite, and take any of 6 powers.

The thing I don't like and kind of makes me hesitant is it's extremely complicated. Eldar only had 3 really good powers and the rest were okay, but always fell to the bottom of the pile. The 'go to' powers for Smite Replacements were only 2 truly good ones, but they are VERY good... BUT they also have WC values of 4-6.

WC 7 on these powers is pretty hard, especially for an army that is hard to get a cast bonus within. 

18 Strats is a lot of content for specific cults. 

Regardless it's exciting. Obviously the 'strength' of new Eldar was the ability to pick your own craftworld powers. The Smite Replacement powers were icing on the cake. So if the bulk of Thousand Sons stuff is these replacement powers (9 in total minimum), then imho there's a LOT riding on those 9 powers.

Relics are good, but we have 2-3 go to's that won't be easily challenged. 

Strats are okay, but it's always a paywall we run short of quickly.

The powers/cults sounds extremely complicated, I can imagine games where you're saying this Rubric Sorc is a Cult of X and has this instead of smite which can affect this guy, or that squad. (Multiply that conversation x 8-9 times... ouch.)

We have so many staple powers I just foresee a plethora of 2D Rubric blobs as a certainty. 

Edited by Prot