Index Traitoris: The Ascendant Eyes (Iron Gauntlet)

Dizzyeye01

The Ascendant Eyes

Notes:

Originate from the Cult of Knowledge/Corvidae, Order of Blindness, 9th Fellowship

Specialized on intelligence operations, assassinations etc.

More sinister threat compared to big marching armies, consider devils deal.

Goes to isolated imperial outposts, offers aid from threat then starts taking from them

Overview

Let me share with you the terrible wonders I have come to know… - Magister Mithras the Bonewhisperer, Bringer of Wishes

[Placeholder]

Origins/History

To fight the abyss, one must know it… - Inquisitor Felecia, Ordo Hereticus

• Mithras fought in the Great Crusade in the 9th Fellowship, rising up the ranks due to keen mind and psychic prowess
  • Eventually gains command of a Circle (Company) and is sent to aid Word Bearers 47th Company alongside House Dorian
  • During tenure with Word Bearers, gain allies in Captain Uhr and discover tales of the Tanin, ancient creatures that roamed the X sector and is said to gift wishes
  • Circle is called back to Prospero before they can launch expedition to x space.
  •  Burning Of Prospero happens
  • Mithras then left with the remains of his circle, attacking/corrupting worlds that had been conquered by the Space WOlves in an act of vengeance and sorrow
  • He was joined Ahrimans’ Cabal and helped perform the Rubric, being exiled with many other sorcerers and afterwards, remained a part of the Brotherhood of Dust
  • Mithras then began building his network of spies and allies, using the skills he learned in the Great Crusade to locate the Tanin and discover their powers.
  • Mithras went dark after Amons’ death at Ahrimans’ hand, angered by his mentors’ loss since he was far away
  • SIDEBAR: The Tanin were once a proud ancient race of xenos who Tzeentch cursed. Gave them the power to make wishes but only at the behest of others so would have to twist peoples wishes in order to benefit themselves. Even death could not escape the curse as their souls were attached to their bones. Only utter annihilation could save them. Those who lived on became parasites, siphoning users from what wishes they make.
  • Reunites with Uhr, now a diabolist, and raid the Tanin, slaughtering them with their own magic and using their bones to boost their own potential.
  • Mithras now leads the Cabal in the hunt for more artifacts, using his network to bring them in and also bring down the Imperium he tried to protect

Beliefs

Lorgar and Magnus, they are not so different. Both seek to find the answers to the universe. Both seek to bring enlightenment to the galaxy. The only difference is the paths they walk. - Diabolist Uhr 

• Cabal now seeks to show the Imperium the sorrow he felt when Prospero fell
  • SIDEBAR: Echoes of Sorrow is a cult formed by Mithras to draw in unfortunate souls from Imperial Society, promising rebirth, strength and evolution in a dark galaxy. Group spreads cult across the gaalxy but also tries to forge daemon weapons and armour of their own. 
  • Promising psychics are taken from the ranks and file from cults and trained into the Ascendant Eyes’ ambassadors
  • Heavy mistrust of Magnus and Ahriman due to previous actions though
--------------------------------------------

So, I'll be adding more to these guys when I'm in the mood for this but any points or questions are always welcome :smile.:

SIDEBAR: The Tanin were once a proud ancient race of xenos who Tzeentch cursed. Gave them the power to make wishes but only at the behest of others so would have to twist peoples wishes in order to benefit themselves. Even death could not escape the curse as their souls were attached to their bones. Only utter annihilation could save them. Those who lived on became parasites, siphoning users from what wishes they make.

Ooo, 40k Djinn! Looking forward to seeing more about these Sons of Magnus.

SIDEBAR: The Tanin were once a proud ancient race of xenos who Tzeentch cursed. Gave them the power to make wishes but only at the behest of others so would have to twist peoples wishes in order to benefit themselves. Even death could not escape the curse as their souls were attached to their bones. Only utter annihilation could save them. Those who lived on became parasites, siphoning users from what wishes they make.

Ooo, 40k Djinn! Looking forward to seeing more about these Sons of Magnus.

Thanks mate. The Djinn and other similar ideas like the Ahamkara from Destiny have always been interesting ideas to me so considering the tale of the sons of Magnus it makes sense to me at least that something like this could exist and be chased around, especially when they could potentially solve the Rubric of Ahriman.

I think this is a really interesting setup to be explored further. Especially their relations to the Word Bearers and the poor relationship they have with Magnus and Ahriman - I wonder if they've ever come to blows, or had to choose between aiding Word Bearers or other Thousand Sons.

Also really like the prominence of a xenos race and how they pursued it and its secrets - it helps to make it more unique.

Thanks mate. The Djinn and other similar ideas like the Ahamkara from Destiny have always been interesting ideas to me so considering the tale of the sons of Magnus it makes sense to me at least that something like this could exist and be chased around, especially when they could potentially solve the Rubric of Ahriman.

Aha! I thought those seemed very similar to my bone dragon friends in Destiny, Oh Writer Mine. :P

But I love the concept behind this of them being akin to Djinn/Ahamkara in their wish-giving for the benefiit of the Ascendant Eyes only. Reminds me of what happened to the Seekers of Truth when they began to hear all the lies humanity utters after an ill-advised wish from Chapter Master Herodicus and became the Scourged.

So how much do the wearing of bones affect the Chaos Marines? Do they whisper to them and could lead to high-risks of madness if lacking in mental fortitude?

Cambrius

Thanks for the responses guys. I should have an update coming along soon for these guys which will hopefully add some nice flavoring to whats here so far

Aha! I thought those seemed very similar to my bone dragon friends in Destiny, Oh Writer Mine. :tongue.:

But I love the concept behind this of them being akin to Djinn/Ahamkara in their wish-giving for the benefiit of the Ascendant Eyes only. Reminds me of what happened to the Seekers of Truth when they began to hear all the lies humanity utters after an ill-advised wish from Chapter Master Herodicus and became the Scourged.

So how much do the wearing of bones affect the Chaos Marines? Do they whisper to them and could lead to high-risks of madness if lacking in mental fortitude?

Cambrius

Guilty as charged. I will admit Destiny is a great source of inspiration :whistling:

As for the effect of the bones on the warband, Mithras is making use of them in two ways. The first and more obvious effect is that the bones do help with their small wishes. The second and more subtle effect is that he uses it as a test to see who is worthy to be within the warband. Those who are weak-willed will lose themselves and have to be put down. Those of stronger will can hold onto their sanity but the bones will also feed off their host and will generally try to provoke actions. Another side effect is that instead of just going insane, the bones manage to actually possess their host and take over, gifting them some time in power however the body can only last so long. If the warband thinks someone has become possessed then they are taken away and chained up with the others before getting used as shock attack troops.

So, in brief, Mithras uses the bones not only to augment the warband but also use it to cull the herd and make sure that he remains top dog.

Interesting ideas. To expand further on these originating from a Sorcerer that helped with the Rubric, do the Bones possess dust-automatons and gain a semblance of control as a deliberate action by Mithras? Or is the idea forbidden because no Xenos filth will usurp him in an automaton.

I'm now half expecting to see you have a Raptor or Warp Talon champion called Eao now by the way. ;)

Cambrius