30k Hobby Chat

4 hours ago, StratoKhan said:

Nice Deathguard dread! Really like the weathering etc.

I opted for a dark churned earth for my deathguard, I felt like it would help add some contrast with the bone armour scheme.

Is it just me or are those lascannons enormous btw?

I think its just weird perspective from the angle of the photos.

4 hours ago, LameBeard said:

you had a mk iv dreadnought lying around to use as a test model!? I’m so jealous I almost didn’t give it a like.  

I thought a desert base like zandri dust might be nice - usually I go for maximum contrasting bases, but here I think the warmth closer to your white could work - it will be a more subtle effect in a more limited palette.

Lol, yeah... I can print 2 of them in this loadout in about 8hrs for like $3 of resin.  I use them for a lot of tests since Dreads are the perfect blend of having larger panels like tanks, but also small details like infantry.  With their size they're quick to paint, and their bases are large enough to play around with lots of basing options.

Building my second sentinel. Worth noting that there’s a risk of the armour clashing if you re-pose it. The standard version won’t have this issue but it’s worth checking with the Vetarii one, especially as they recommend adding the armour at the end. Better to build the whole cab before the legs and to do the leg armour at the same time to check fit.

IMG_9641.thumb.jpeg.4ce7180d45d5257e27ebb2e379db869f.jpeg

I finished up the test Dread and it's base.  I'm not 100% sold on the toxic sludge/flames effects, but I have an idea of what to do differently next time.  I think I will let more of the white base color of the flames show through instead of spraying contrast over the whole flame.  I think it will help the flames to look more like they're burning on top of the sludge.  It should also increase the contrast between the black flame tips and the white core of the fire.

IMG_7504.jpg?ex=66303a65&is=662ee8e5&hm=b3164bb376502674f0a0dd6bd2fc83035880609bcac30dd6fe6ba048959064c4&

IMG_7505.jpg?ex=66303a65&is=662ee8e5&hm=009392e5e92ba3026826d2a892a300ce2e20fc51cf432fc7970b3eef81a13a5d&

I am almost done with the first squad of Deathguard.  Just need to re-black the metals and do a couple little details before the final varnish.

I went with a yellow underlayer for the phosphex flames this time, highlighted with a very gentle airbrushing of Striking Scorpion green over the tips, then stippled Warp Lighting green over the tips.  I'm still working out the details on the weathering powders.  My pigment fixer is turning them into  gooey plasticky messes.  I was able to salvage this batch with ultra matte varnish, but on the next round i think ill try just plain iso.

IMG_7520.jpg?ex=6632a23b&is=663150bb&hm=e98d2db3cd81b5d2efc6fa129bd5141313e3e9a76350dfb767b246030f140036&

On 12/9/2023 at 12:06 PM, General Zodd said:

I thought I’d share these here to get some views. A bit late now, but still interested to hear thoughts given the occasional heated discussion about Mk VII armour in Heresy!

DfRdw68.jpg

Keen to see if there are any Heresy purists who would really object to playing against these? I’m not looking to pick a fight, I’m genuinely interested what kind of reaction I might get bringing these to an event. Cheers!

I am a Heresy Purist, and I think that Mk7 is Kino, especially if used for inductii.

The lore comes and goes, but minis are forever. Not long ago someone posted on Discord a bunch of limited edition cards from 7th ed and it describes Mk7 being more or less as common as Mk6 by the end of the Siege

Mk-lore.jpg

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Loquille said:

Tactical Command joins the Lord Marshal. Decided to model shields to represent the refractor fields, plus I love the idea of a shield wall as they push through ZM/ boarding actions. 

Companioncommand1.thumb.jpg.8e0dd2e2a64ef385c6b4792b1de4404d.jpg

Nice, where did you source the spears and shields? 

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

@Cadmus Tyro  The shields are from the Arbites Extraction squad, using Solar arms, and the hands from the Arbites.

The spears are 1mm brass rod, the spare swords from the Solar Lasrifle section and to help (I think)  bayonets added to the back of the swords so they're not just stuck on the rod

spearswip.thumb.jpg.5d5bc44ced9e608a8b91f9d3c0c33c44.jpg

On 5/1/2024 at 2:58 PM, Loquille said:

Tactical Command joins the Lord Marshal. Decided to model shields to represent the refractor fields, plus I love the idea of a shield wall as they push through ZM/ boarding actions. 

Companioncommand1.thumb.jpg.8e0dd2e2a64ef385c6b4792b1de4404d.jpg

A great looking unit, and one you should be proud of! It is always compelling to see people put real love into the less seen factions. Putting the extra effort into converting the cheap dudes is a hassle but so often worth it. I hope to see more soon!

1 hour ago, sarabando said:

finished an alpha legion test mini using the vallejo shifter paints. Still not 100% sold. 

IMG_20240430_224309.jpg

In the close up I wouldn't be 100% either, but from a distance the hue difference in the blue is quite good. Regardless I commend you on the face, the skin tone is great. Veins and all.

28 minutes ago, Cruor Vault said:

The whole squad is done now.   Learned a lot about the weathering process.  Hopefully the next couple of squads will get crisper each time!

IMG_7530.jpeg

These look awesome. I looked at the first picture and was a bit dubious, but the final output is extremely well done. Great job!

On 5/2/2024 at 3:55 PM, sarabando said:

finished an alpha legion test mini using the vallejo shifter paints. Still not 100% sold. 

IMG_20240430_224309.jpg

I’ve always been suspicious of colour-shift paints as a bit of a gimmick - but this guy looks great. Go on, do another army …