30k Hobby Chat

On 5/31/2022 at 2:23 PM, Mandragola said:

I was always quite disappointed with the Sigismund model because I felt that his legs were too small for his body (or it was too big I guess). So poor old Siggy had been languishing in a bits box with no legs for a few years, until now.

52112759965_f808dbfde7_h.jpg

I had a sort of brainwave about the BT Marshall from the army box. I'm very unlikely to ever make a BT army and if I do it'll probably be led by Helbrecht, so I hadn't put him together. This provided me with a nice new pair of legs for Sigismund, appropriately covered in archaic details. I particularly like the belt. I wasn't planning on giving him a cloak but I think it actually works quite well here, blowing around. Quite a bit of GS work is going to be needed around the back to tidy up the joins but from this angle I think he looks quite fun.

With many thanks to Mandragola for allowing me to steal his idea, may I present my attempt at Sigismund!

Isa62yr.jpg

And a close up without the scenic base;

9WQvdlN.jpg

Thanks guys :) 

@Jud Cottrell I kept the cloak separate for undercoating but attached it after as I realised there's no chance anyone will ever see the bolter attached to it. Besides that I kept the sword arms free for painting. 

Edited by Loquille

21 hours ago, SlickSamos said:

Oh my!  I love the different shell every 5th shot (tracer?)

Indeed, that was the intent!

19 hours ago, Sothalor said:

Ohh that 1-in-5 tracer on the belt of shells is absolutely blissful.

My intent with this project was to demonstrate that Iron Warriors aren't "Lead belcha and a nuln wash"; as an old, now enemy, friend used to say. Why not go above and beyond and paint such small details? 

16 hours ago, Brother Kraskor said:

Very nice. I love the idea that the tracer isn't to help the Havoc's targeting, but to demoralise enemy forces as they witness their allies being pinpointed with such ferociously accurate firepower.

Bingo- and maybe for the Havocs' squadmates - to be able to pinpoint in peripheral vision where the fire arcs are coming, no need to waste ammunition on double tapping something.

Been a while since I posted any models, but I am inching forward on a few projects. Here’s some actual finished models:

They were an experiment in speed-painting. And a total failure! Since it has been more than a year since I got these. I will need a rethink for the next half of the squad. And yes, I realise now the hazard stripes go the wrong way.

IMG_3315.jpeg

Despite some great advice from @Cadmus Tyro, I decided to keep the legion symbol off the blue and put on the leg instead, keeping the tactical marking on the right shoulder.IMG_3317.jpeg

I have some Tartaros I was going to do as World Eater too, but am worried about the scale difference. Here’s new vs my original World Eater (squad still not complete, maybe 15 years in the ‘in progress' pile?

IMG_3318.jpeg

Edited by LameBeard

Agree. I like beakies but they just didn't seem right for my World Eaters. I want my Alpha Legion beakies to feel special (but again, worried about the scale change, so didn't give the new Mk VI to them - at least not yet. Still have plenty spare!).

On 10/29/2023 at 1:48 PM, SkimaskMohawk said:

It's a bit shocking how a helmet swap can help so much with both the mk 6 and what we've seen of the new mk 3.

IMHO the new helmet sizes are too small. They don’t look like they could accommodate a head, even with the bare head scale reduction. Helmets should look a little oversized.

I think GW are going for a different aesthetic in 2.0, which unfortunately along with the poor quality of rules writing, poor FAQ support post release and the blatant attempt to prevent players using existing collections (in particular esoteric units), has curbed my appetite for new purchases. 

Cadmus