30k Hobby Chat

Excellent work @Hungry Nostraman Lizard, love the use of SoH green as a spot colour that also ties into their background. Also digging the more hellenic design choices. 

@Cadmus Tyro Got to love a Malcador, nice choice for the old school sponsons too.

@General Zodd If MKVII make sense anywhere, then it's in Fists inductii at the Siege! I certainly would have issues facing this squad.

Great work as always guys. 

After a little painting break finally cleared something that's sat since release. (hush Sevatar, you'll take your layer of dust and like it) 

She's in your files, and she's judging... Vanus Assassin complete at last. 

Assassin1.thumb.jpg.522adaa3a4937a8452368825a95d722f.jpg

Assassin2.thumb.jpg.10e7959c895666c7058fbbe3c3d89c1a.jpg

20 hours ago, General Zodd said:

Keen to see if there are any Heresy purists who would really object to playing against these? I’m not looking to pick a fight, I’m genuinely interested what kind of reaction I might get bringing these to an event. Cheers!

I think some people would've objected to an obviously lazy interpretation, i.e., making a 40k army and saying that's your 30k army without any effort at making it period appropriate. As far as I see it, the squad looks great and a fantastic job was done at telling the story or the time period it's meant to capture.

Overall though, I think this has waned as even being on peoples' minds for multiple reasons, notably the main switch to Primaris on the 40k side and that the 30k plastic range is just less expensive than the 40k miniatures now. So most people doing it have a genuine intention at this point.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

On 12/9/2023 at 6:06 PM, General Zodd said:

I thought I’d share these here to get some views. A bit late now, but still interested to hear thoughts given the occasional heated discussion about Mk VII armour in Heresy!

DfRdw68.jpg

I thought I’d do a unit of Inductii for my VIIth, and given the new-fangled Mk VII had just started production, I think they’re lore-appropriate for the Siege at least.

l96Ye1D.jpg

I decided to make them as unornamented as possible, removing purity seals and chest eagles, apart from on the sgt.

5E6tfV2.jpg

I’ve done a full complement of Vox/Scanner/Vexilla, plus the two Heavy Bolters we’re allowed in Inductii, plus a junior squad leader to allow me to break them into two ten man units.

7Uld2sr.jpg

Lastly, I gave them all Umbra pattern bolters, hunting the old FW ones down on eBay. I thought this would make them look more Heresy-era, and it wouldn’t make sense to have loads of types of magazines and ammo sizes when you’re trying to manage logistics!

Keen to see if there are any Heresy purists who would really object to playing against these? I’m not looking to pick a fight, I’m genuinely interested what kind of reaction I might get bringing these to an event. Cheers!

I love that you made the effort to “heresy them up” with the chest plates, bolters, vexilla - even the paint scheme with the Legion ordinal. Overall very impressive - I’d be proud to play against them. I think it would be more difficult to pull off for other Legions though…

7 hours ago, LameBeard said:

I love that you made the effort to “heresy them up” with the chest plates, bolters, vexilla - even the paint scheme with the Legion ordinal. Overall very impressive - I’d be proud to play against them. I think it would be more difficult to pull off for other Legions though…

That's definitely what does it for me. Umbra bolters, Vexilla, Nuncio Vox, etc.

I kind of hope they do a MK VII squad at some point if we get full into the siege/scouring. I might make a Dark Angel squad at some point if they do.

On 12/9/2023 at 1:06 PM, General Zodd said:

I wouldnt have an issue with it. I would be happy to be fighting against such a well painted force. Hell, I would be happy if I could get a game in at the rate I am going :) I miss the old days when HH and current 40k were compatible so even if I couldnt get one of my rare 30k games in, finding a 40k player to play it against was an easy substitute. 

On 12/9/2023 at 6:06 PM, General Zodd said:

Just my opinion, but anyone who kicked off and objected to playing against these is a ****, rather than a Heresy purist, and would probably be an absolute nightmare to play against anyway. 

Great work!

On 12/9/2023 at 1:06 PM, General Zodd said:

I thought I’d share these here to get some views. A bit late now, but still interested to hear thoughts given the occasional heated discussion about Mk VII armour in Heresy!

DfRdw68.jpg

I thought I’d do a unit of Inductii for my VIIth, and given the new-fangled Mk VII had just started production, I think they’re lore-appropriate for the Siege at least.

l96Ye1D.jpg

I decided to make them as unornamented as possible, removing purity seals and chest eagles, apart from on the sgt.

5E6tfV2.jpg

I’ve done a full complement of Vox/Scanner/Vexilla, plus the two Heavy Bolters we’re allowed in Inductii, plus a junior squad leader to allow me to break them into two ten man units.

7Uld2sr.jpg

Lastly, I gave them all Umbra pattern bolters, hunting the old FW ones down on eBay. I thought this would make them look more Heresy-era, and it wouldn’t make sense to have loads of types of magazines and ammo sizes when you’re trying to manage logistics!

I'd consider myself a Heresy purist, absolutely. I think these should serve as the example for how to make MKVII be era appropriate, a guide if you will. You clearly did a lot of effort, and it shows. Well done! 

On 12/9/2023 at 7:06 PM, General Zodd said:

DfRdw68.jpg

l96Ye1D.jpg

5E6tfV2.jpg

7Uld2sr.jpg

I think it fits. They look like some of the Marines you'd see on the covers of the earlier Horus Heresy books and the Errant type helmet could be passed off as a Sarum Pattern.

Edit: Found the image I was looking for
worldeatershelmet.PNG.fced40eef370636d651743d30290a5be.PNG

Edited by MoriyaSchism

On 12/11/2023 at 3:01 PM, Astartes Consul said:

Just my opinion, but anyone who kicked off and objected to playing against these is a ****, rather than a Heresy purist, and would probably be an absolute nightmare to play against anyway. 

Great work!

Mk 7 was developed and used in the last stages of the Siege of Terra by loyalists and used by loyalists during the late Heresy/Scouring. Who is going to complain about that? Not my case, I can swear. 

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Power_Armour

I want also to include in my army some miniatures with that Mk.

Carry on!

Edited by AGRAMAR

I'm putting together some bits, trying to make a decent Chieftain Squad for my SoH. Still in a very early stage of the process but I'm quite satisfied with the result,for now.

Helmeted Standart bearer or bare head?. And maybe I add chainswords or chainaxes.

20231213_220414.jpg

20231213_213758.jpg

20231213_213811.jpg

20231213_213821.jpg

20231213_213806.jpg

9 hours ago, AGRAMAR said:

I'm putting together some bits, trying to make a decent Chieftain Squad for my SoH. Still in a very early stage of the process but I'm quite satisfied with the result,for now.

Helmeted Standart bearer or bare head?. And maybe I add chainswords or chainaxes.

20231213_220414.jpg

20231213_213758.jpg

20231213_213811.jpg

20231213_213821.jpg

20231213_213806.jpg

Nice! I’ve just started painting my own kit-bashed Chieftain unit. It’s cool to see other takes on them! Very good job.

As for the standard bearer, I generally prefer helmeted over not, but I’m not sure the helmet you’ve chosen looks particularly Sons of Horus. Very suitable for an honoured banner bearer with the laurels, but not something I particularly associate with the XVIth. So I’d lean towards the mean-looking bare head in this instance. He looks suitably grizzled!

As for weapons, I’ve put Carsoran Power Axes or Fists on half my unit. They’re quite expensive already, so I thought they should be equipped to be able to hold their own against combat units. I’d be really interested to know how well a more bare-bones unit fares though, they might be more points efficient without all the toys!

Edited by General Zodd

I made a marine with Nemesis bolter, because they seemed to be all the rage and I had spare mk vi bodies.  I was inspired by @Brother-Chaplain Kage's tutorial on cloaks from tissue. This was my first try.

IMG_3454.thumb.jpeg.0dc01e5d99edea0f0811216dff581f2d.jpeg

Agonising on where to go from here in the spoiler:

Spoiler

The model is made with an Anvil Industry 'negotiator' sniper rifle. I absolutely love it, but unfortunately it is out of production. I have no more, and the lovely people at Anvil have rumaged through their drawers and they have no more (the 'diplomat' is too big). But I do have 4 more nice heads very similar.  So the choices are:

1. Make him a Vigilator, and leave the heads in the bits box.

2. Fill out the rest of the squad with bolters or shotguns, to make a recon (or even Effrit?) squad.

This leaves me with the second problem - what Legion? Although it would suit Alpha Legion, I have been trying not to mix scales in one army - maybe time to embrace the mix?  I have been using the larger models for more World Eaters. A sniper doesn't seem to suit their playstyle, but maybe I just need to embrace 'playing the Legion wrong'? It could be years before plastic chainaxes are easily available, so why worry about optimising them anyway?  Happy to hear any ideas here.

Edited by LameBeard
Many reasons

13 hours ago, LameBeard said:

I made a marine with Nemesis bolter, because they seemed to be all the rage and I had spare mk vi bodies.  I was inspired by @Brother-Chaplain Kage's tutorial on cloaks from tissue. This was my first try.

IMG_3454.thumb.jpeg.0dc01e5d99edea0f0811216dff581f2d.jpeg

Agonising on where to go from here in the spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

The model is made with an Anvil Industry 'negotiator' sniper rifle. I absolutely love it, but unfortunately it is out of production. I have no more, and the lovely people at Anvil have rumaged through their drawers and they have no more (the 'diplomat' is too big). But I do have 4 more nice heads very similar.  So the choices are:

1. Make him a Vigilator, and leave the heads in the bits box.

2. Fill out the rest of the squad with bolters or shotguns, to make a recon (or even Effrit?) squad.

This leaves me with the second problem - what Legion? Although it would suit Alpha Legion, I have been trying not to mix scales in one army - maybe time to embrace the mix?  I have been using the larger models for more World Eaters. A sniper doesn't seem to suit their playstyle, but maybe I just need to embrace 'playing the Legion wrong'? It could be years before plastic chainaxes are easily available, so why worry about optimising them anyway?  Happy to hear any ideas here.

Tutorial? Capes? Sounds great to me! Where I can find that tutorial?

Had two big games of ZM (2k points) yesterday, first games since March. Really need to get more games in in 2024, but I say that each year...

It was Ultramarines versus Night Lords. We agreed it some a battle happening, probably, around Sotha. My friend brought two squads in Inductii in grey ceramite (to represent the super quick expediency to get them battle ready), a squad of Suzerain, Breachers, them fancy Ultramarine destroyers, and a small command squad. We used the reinforcement points and updated ZM rules from the Siege of Cthonia book, and it was really fun. Both of us ended up not having some units make it onto the board, but it was fine. Lots of carnage ensued eitherway. 

I had brought two units of Terror Squads, one with volkite chargers, one with rotorcannons. One unit of Tactical support marines with plasma rifles, and a 5-man strong unit with meltas. I was running pride of the Legion, and had two squads of Terminators - five in tartaros with lightning claws, and five in cataphractii with combi-meltas and singular lightning claws for the squad, and a Praetor, and lastly - a five man strong unit of heavy support in the form of a heavy bolter wielding claw. 

Highlights included:

• My friend charging a squad of Ultramarine inductii into the Terror squad with volkites - and not realizing that the terror marines relish melee combat, with their preferred enemy (infantry). Headsman axes are really excellent on Sargeants! 
  • An under-strength Ultramarine Destroyer squad and the four man strong (after the Sargeants of the Squads slew one another simultaneously in a duel) melta support squad duking it out over three rounds without inflicting any wounds
  • An Ultramarines Apothecary who was unable to provide even a singular successful feel-no-pain roll. New to the job, I guess - but also very hard to extract gene-seed when suppressed by heavy bolters, more on that later...
  • The tactical support squad being reinforced by the Claw-Captain and his retinue in Cataphractii plate, and the Destroyer Squad being backed up by Suzerains...
  • ...only for the Suzerains to sustain no casualties, a singular marine armed with a thunderhammer to mince three of the Terminators in melee
  • ... and the five man heavy bolter Claw positioning themselves perfectly down a long corridor and pulverizing a barely touched 13th Legion Breacher Squad with insanely precise shots.

My take away from these games - I need to make more Heavy bolter squads. My favorite Warhammer40k weapon, and for good reason. I still have those Forgeworld ones with the belt fed magazines in a blister somewhere, might slap those onto some of those new mark 3! 

409586413_1008008040287147_4199702755583771417_n.jpg

410812325_1370969826871336_1543476502950368615_n.jpg

410716137_372207595399541_839037066850758665_n.jpg

409781980_374508515262051_3524411993392497404_n.jpg

409431372_228019010246597_1224078253644206365_n.jpg

410795978_881662480000420_5085916656855675595_n.jpg

@Hungry Nostraman Lizard Sounds and looks like a great game!

@Cruor Vault They'll look ace when they're done, proper evocative of the scenes we read about in the books. Loving how vibrant those predators are.

@LameBeard I'm sure some cool fluff could be made to accompany a World Eaters Vigilator. Perhaps he sees it as his job to shepherd his more crazed brothers, guiding and protecting them from afar? Or perhaps he's the leader of the section that thrills in the destructive power of the heavy guns, taking his place amongst a heavy weapons team on the field?