30k Hobby Chat

For Horus Heresy I have myself (so far) gone heavily into theme, my Word Bearers are a boarding action force and I pick my units through that lens. While I myself do not (yet) collect multiple Legions I could see it as a real dilemma to decide what goes where. That is where I then would further advocate theme, it gives you a guiding principle to stop you from being too indecisive.

That being said, unless your Alpha Legion collection is very sizeable I'd choose to focus on one of them until it is. But that's my own two cents. 

2 hours ago, Xenith said:

I'm looking at repurposing some of my assembled Alphas - in the HH craze, I just wanted to make a unit of everything, however I think this isn't feasable from an actually having time to paint stuff sense, and the army will spiral out of control!

I assembled an assault squad for my alphas, as well as an assault destroyer squad. These are currently undercoated leadbelcher, however I'm thinking about spraying them red to go into a Blood Angels heresy army, and build heresy armies along themes, as opposed to one of everything.

Alpha Legion: I'd initially thought of these as a ship to ship boarding, or siege breaking force, so wanted breachers, etc.

Blood Angels: Biblical and of days DoR phosphex party with destroyers, Angels Tears etc. Assault marines would fit there.

That said, destroyers are awesome, and I'd get to use them more with my Alphas than I would with the BA, who are a secondary army in HH. Is it worth adding an assault squad to the Alphas anyway, for variety, or stick with the theme? The packs are magnetised so they could always be despoilers also. 

How do you build an army - collect them all, tactical value of models, theme, or all three?

In my case, opportunity: if I see something with a good total price, to the basket. I purchase lot of bits and spares, so when I have an idea or I want to try a new unit, I check my bits boxes and I see want can I do and what else I need.

For example, next month I hope to get my Sky Hunters, but I found some good jump packs with discount. I need them now? No, but I can use them later.

With miniatures like LoW is just a question of irresistible price more than a need.

On 7/26/2023 at 5:48 AM, Xenith said:

I'm looking at repurposing some of my assembled Alphas - in the HH craze, I just wanted to make a unit of everything, however I think this isn't feasable from an actually having time to paint stuff sense, and the army will spiral out of control!

I assembled an assault squad for my alphas, as well as an assault destroyer squad. These are currently undercoated leadbelcher, however I'm thinking about spraying them red to go into a Blood Angels heresy army, and build heresy armies along themes, as opposed to one of everything.

Alpha Legion: I'd initially thought of these as a ship to ship boarding, or siege breaking force, so wanted breachers, etc.

Blood Angels: Biblical and of days DoR phosphex party with destroyers, Angels Tears etc. Assault marines would fit there.

That said, destroyers are awesome, and I'd get to use them more with my Alphas than I would with the BA, who are a secondary army in HH. Is it worth adding an assault squad to the Alphas anyway, for variety, or stick with the theme? The packs are magnetised so they could always be despoilers also. 

How do you build an army - collect them all, tactical value of models, theme, or all three?

I started it as an armored company, and from time to time, still add armor to my collection. However, i've been adding more infantry for the last year or so for my Night Lords, mostly because variety and I like customizing each marines individuality. 

Mega dump of my current wips. I've got loads of oils done atm

SOH veterans with random wargear

A second wave of 5 volkite imperial fists to bring the squad to a full 10 men

A pair of SOH armistos (not a fan of magnets in infantry)

A SOH esoterist

The missing standard bearer from my shield and axe wielding command squad.

The first company have sent a librarian to help my SOH 

Cont in pt2

IMG_20230728_000710.thumb.jpg.30f92584ec5ec20a9d4e7eb787c04f97.jpgIMG_20230728_000716__01.jpg

IMG_20230728_001021__01.jpg

IMG_20230728_001035__01.jpg

IMG_20230728_001038__01.jpg

IMG_20230728_001049__01.jpg

IMG_20230728_001057__01.jpg

IMG_20230728_001158__01.jpg

IMG_20230728_001208__01.jpg

IMG_20230728_001220__01.jpg

IMG_20230728_001224__01.jpg

IMG_20230728_000720.jpg

Edited by sarabando

More gaming happened in Epic scale, as we're all waiting for the Legiones Imperialis to slowly dripfeed into our systems there's always good ol' Epic: Armageddon to smash. Or in this case, orks faces to bash with both hands as the capitol city of Miami V needed defending, twice in a row!

First battle saw the orks thoroughly scrunched against the hot'n'hateful steel of Mechanicum.

1172437-.JPG
1172438-.JPG
1172439-.JPG
1172440-.JPG

The second battle saw an almost unstoppable triple-mob charge pour through one flank of robots, but the day was still carried by remorseless robots marching to the ork home base through a burning channel ripped in the earth by a nova cannon shot from the backfield Ordinatus.

1172441-.JPG
1172431-.JPG
1172432-.JPG
1172433-.JPG
1172434-.JPG
1172435-.JPG
1172436-.JPG

It was also finally a good excuse to take a family portrait of the Mechanicum painted thus far :D

1172442-.JPG

Working on a Moritat and felt pretty happy with the glow of his rad/phosphex/general nastiness grenade, so thought I'd share:

large.IMG-20230805-WA0019.jpg.22d9e264a9688436da995ee651c79cca.jpg

What a cracking looking game @Sherrypie!

Excellent use of parts @poom they look distinctively 30k, but also have the traitor feel.

Edited by Pearson73

my airbrush compressor died its lasted about 7 years of regular life and ive painted more minis in that 7 years then i did the rest of my hobby career combined. 

ive started doing some Badab war stuff as i need a break from the legions, but ive nearly finished 2 militia russ's, a land raider, command rhino, SOH vets, and sallie bikes

3 hours ago, Cruor Vault said:

Finished up another Raider for my XIIIth!  Along with a family photo of all my currently completed Raiders.  I’m slowly working towards getting all of them done, which will eventually double this group.  

4934A4E5-6BA3-4C7A-96AC-DDF21CB3A1BE.jpeg

3913A594-490D-427A-8A48-9974F71E903E.jpeg

20222C55-517C-4B43-B921-DEE21376B6BF.jpeg

DF67E3AD-0E66-49DB-AD72-51DB0BE33B56.jpeg

Why does it look so massive? And awesome;)

3 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

First I thought it was Blood & Skulls, but the tracks look a little different. 3d print? And cats, eh? 6 beautifully painted Land Raiders and she’s still not impressed.

One is not a (mini) Mastodon?

Edited by AGRAMAR

5 hours ago, LameBeard said:

Well isn’t it a mini-mastadon? Another 3d print or conversion? So many more variants to try, let’s have an Aries next please!

the mini-mastodon is indeed a 3D print, as is this new one.

9 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

Why does it look so massive? And awesome;)

It’s a touch larger than a normal raider, plus the full sponsons at a lot of volume to it.  I think this one is about half a centimeter wider and a full centimeter longer than my FW Achilles.  

5 hours ago, LameBeard said:

First I thought it was Blood & Skulls, but the tracks look a little different. 3d print? And cats, eh? 6 beautifully painted Land Raiders and she’s still not impressed.

Lol, only treats and chicken impress her!  She couldn’t care less about my toy soldiers.  

Another consul. Probably a Warmonger or maybe just a fancy Breacher sergeant. Finally figured out what to do with Fafnir Rann at any rate - now I just have to find Zephon's head and I'll have both models I've had sitting around since they came out done (well, I've got to paint them, too...)

breacher-sarge.thumb.jpg.b2011d931103da00b6e8b40e4d13b5e8.jpg