New PA Engine War Range - What are you excited for?

Taser on the champion irritates me, claw seems good enough most of the time.

I'm crossing fingers we see alternate options on the datasheet - would be a shame if we had to tool up both the Sterylizors and the Sulphurhounds to the max - I'd much rather run them fairly basic for fast/deepstriking flamer shenanigans.

Having seen more of the rules these new flying guys look quite interesting.

They have some decent close combat capability, and the weapons are solid against the right target. I like the flamers that can hit straight from reserves.

The other build also has interesting plays when using the Mars stratagem that causes mortal wounds. A full unit flying over vehicles could cause 10 or so mortal wounds.

I can see the Pteraxi comboing well with Infiltrators, at the moment, short of the drill delivered Electro-Priests we have very little deep strike threat.

I already run 8 infiltrators [Flechette] and with Wrath of Mars and PDI they can wipe many different units or be used to clear screens and generally add a unit my opponent has to deal with, adding a flamer unit to that turn two onwards threat will be nice - I don't like to castle, I like to try and take the midground with my infantry and deep strikers allow me to either take it with more units or add threat elsewhere so I can move into that space - I can see them being pretty expensive however as unlike Burna's they're d6. 

I am waiting to see what the riders will do too, having something that is fast and not huge like the Ironstriders will be sweet for back-capping and if the Sulphur-Hounds are good I can see a fast attack list coming.

If the flyer transport is cheap, I'll be loading that up with some stickpriests. 

Edited by TootiusNootius

I am waiting to see what the riders will do too, having something that is fast and not huge like the Ironstriders will be sweet for back-capping and if the Sulphur-Hounds are good I can see a fast attack list coming.

My negativity aside, if the hounds get 10" movement they'll be exceptional at slamming screens T1 since they can move, adv, and shoot their flamers iff the article is truthful. If nothing else they might have that niche as Dragoon support, barring the pts cost.

Raiders as I've said before need their base weapon to be good. If it's not Assualt 2 or AP-1 with 24" range I don't think well see them competitively besides for cheap FA filler.

Still praying for a Skitarii HQ though so I can go back to pure skit force like in 7th.

My negativity aside, if the hounds get 10" movement they'll be exceptional at slamming screens T1 since they can move, adv, and shoot their flamers iff the article is truthful. If nothing else they might have that niche as Dragoon support, barring the pts cost.

Raiders as I've said before need their base weapon to be good. If it's not Assualt 2 or AP-1 with 24" range I don't think well see them competitively besides for cheap FA filler.

Still praying for a Skitarii HQ though so I can go back to pure skit force like in 7th.

Very good point, the ability to take space is so important, without it you are forced to castle and that doesn't help in objective games, I can definitely see them being useful for that - I see them being comparable to GSC Jackals in cost [5 jackals ~  3 Serberys].

Hopefully we'll see tonight. I guess they're next for rules reveals as I assume the flyer will be the last of them to be shown fully.

Yesss. I just want more Skitarii in general [And the rules for 30k Automata for the Cybernetica] - Bringing the Forgeworld stuff into 40k would be a good start. We need big Mechanicus Protectors too and more heavily armoured Skitarii [seeing as some are described as being as big and heavily armoured as Marines - I suppose you could convert some Marines or get some proxies with more Admech style guns and play them as Iron Hands]. 

Edited by TootiusNootius

I'm still not seeing anything that is tantalizing me to buy the winged guys. I'll keep my T3, 4+ save paper dudes for filling out battalions as troops.  I won't go into the reasoning as it'll just come off as negative and I want people to enjoy these releases.

Going way back to the first teases of this PA release, I still think it all hinges on the core rules updates. 

I would say the way I look at everything we've seen with this release is very comparable to how I felt about Eldar PA releases: The banshees were a great sculpt. Questionable use, but looked great. The juice in that release for eldar was entirely based on the rules. (In their case it was all about custom craftworlds and Smite replacement powers.)

Yeh its an interesting idea

I am interested to see what they do with the Datasmith going forward as there isnt really a place for it. It seems unusual to have a character replaced entirely with a Strat lol

My list is currently sitting at just under 1500pts ready for the new stuff to come out and I can decide what the other 500 goes on

The Datasmith should give a +1 to wound for Robotic units or servitors, that would give them a role in the army. Honestly make him a Lt as he is gathering data on the enemy so we can wound them better.

I am liking the grenade rule but I have to agree with Prot in that so far the new units are very close to what we are already using, so we need the whole picture to figure out why we should be taking these guys over Infiltrators(That extra movement will do :cuss all when they die the turn they arrive in(If they get a drop rule at all)).

But I am still buying them because they look sweet, just hope they wont be a regular guest in the cabinet.

Yeh its an interesting idea

I am interested to see what they do with the Datasmith going forward as there isnt really a place for it. It seems unusual to have a character replaced entirely with a Strat lol

My list is currently sitting at just under 1500pts ready for the new stuff to come out and I can decide what the other 500 goes on

Easiest thing for me would be to simply have the strat/DS do the same thing (no daft 'wait til next turn' on the Dsmith), and let the DS keep changing protocols.

Ive just finished 2k and pretty painted out, but going to pick up at least one or two of these units for sure to add some flexibility to the force.

Edited by DanPesci

I am liking the grenade rule but I have to agree with Prot in that so far the new units are very close to what we are already using, so we need the whole picture to figure out why we should be taking these guys over Infiltrators(That extra movement will do :censored: all when they die the turn they arrive in(If they get a drop rule at all)).

Totally, ts going to be very interesting to see if we get many core rule/forgeworld/canticle changes - obviously we've not seen any strats with these yet either so id be expecting at least one per new unit type. 

E.g. we get a strat that improves AP (or vice versa something that reduces armour - come on new phosphor rules!) - All that AP0 firepower becomes much more effective.

The Datasmith should give a +1 to wound for Robotic units or servitors, that would give them a role in the army. Honestly make him a Lt as he is gathering data on the enemy so we can wound them better.

I am liking the grenade rule but I have to agree with Prot in that so far the new units are very close to what we are already using, so we need the whole picture to figure out why we should be taking these guys over Infiltrators(That extra movement will do :censored: all when they die the turn they arrive in(If they get a drop rule at all)).

But I am still buying them because they look sweet, just hope they wont be a regular guest in the cabinet.

Yeah, protocol changing instantly orrr... Might be OP - No instant change but +1 to hit for a new <Cybernetica> keyword with the Datasmith within 3"? -Providing firing solutions to the 'bots and Servitors. 

-Just giving the Datasmith something would be nice.

The 'nades seem very good. Considering the Flechette carbine is range 24" instead of 12" with an almost identical profile I can see WoM + PDI after having flown over a tank being SUPER effective. Wipe out a tank and a unit in one go, depending on their point cost obviously. I am not sure they'll replace Infiltrators, but more options is more good in my opinion.

Rule of cool is how I build everything. I am the least competitive player so I defer to those more knowledgeable to judge their viability, but I'll probably grab some regardless.

Edited by TootiusNootius

(That extra movement will do :cuss all when they die the turn they arrive in(If they get a drop rule at all)).

I am not aware of a similar unit without deepstrike... Swooping Hawks, Krisis, Gargoyles, Storm Boys. As soon as they got wings or rockets strapped onto their backs (we got both) they can deepstrike if I am not wrong here.

The extra movement might be worth it when not deepstriking. Both variants should be able the get into action turn 1 or grab early objectives while being able to hide more easily than Dragoons. Flamers might be worth hiding out of LoS to counter charging units, no DS needed here either.

I like the new Flybois but they really feel like minor variants over the Sicarians.

I wish GW would have given us more distinct options, which our army currently lacks, instead of more of the same.

I somehow missed the discontinuation of the FW Index books back in January, so I assume new ones are incoming which may well give us the Ordo Reductor units - Not that I particularly want to live in the same bubble as the poor Custodes do where to be viable you need FW models, but having a second pool of units to pull from will be nice, I like Admech for the war robots and those 30k models have been winking at me from the sideline for so long now.

Now with these releases the lower echelons of the Skitarii feel pretty good, if you include the Hoplites and Peltasts in there also they've got a fair spread of units - They just need a command model [skitarii Alpha Primus].

It's time for more War Robots and servitor variants for the Cybernetica [There's still a whole load of robots from old fluff still missing]. Maybe some genetic manipulated & cybernetically enhanced war beasts [similar to the Serberys] for the Biologus discipline would be cool and bring some horror into the Imperium who seem to be increasingly becoming the goody-goodies.

Expand on the other disciplines of the Priesthood and bring Reductor into the 40k fold and our range will be really, really good.

Edited by TootiusNootius

I like the new Flybois but they really feel like minor variants over the Sicarians.

I wish GW would have given us more distinct options, which our army currently lacks, instead of more of the same.

I somehow missed the discontinuation of the FW Index books back in January, so I assume new ones are incoming which may well give us the Ordo Reductor units - Not that I particularly want to live in the same bubble as the poor Custodes do where to be viable you need FW models, but having a second pool of units to pull from will be nice, I like Admech for the war robots and those 30k models have been winking at me from the sideline for so long now.

Now with these releases the lower echelons of the Skitarii feel pretty good, if you include the Hoplites and Peltasts in there also they've got a fair spread of units - They just need a command model [skitarii Alpha Primus].

It's time for more War Robots and servitor variants for the Cybernetica [There's still a whole load of robots from old fluff still missing]. Maybe some genetic manipulated & cybernetically enhanced war beasts [similar to the Serberys] for the Biologus discipline would be cool and bring some horror into the Imperium who seem to be increasingly becoming the goody-goodies.

Expand on the other disciplines of the Priesthood and bring Reductor into the 40k fold and our range will be really, really good.

Agree. Although I'd also like to also see heavy Skiitarii,

Agree. Although I'd also like to also see heavy Skiitarii,

Oh I 100% agree [i'd love to see the Protectors a la - Rho-Mu 31 as a bodyguard unit] - If we get Reductor we'd likely get the Myrmidons - but proper heavy Skitarii, in plastic, would be great to see.

Edited by TootiusNootius

(That extra movement will do :censored: all when they die the turn they arrive in(If they get a drop rule at all)).

I am not aware of a similar unit without deepstrike... Swooping Hawks, Krisis, Gargoyles, Storm Boys. As soon as they got wings or rockets strapped onto their backs (we got both) they can deepstrike if I am not wrong here.

The extra movement might be worth it when not deepstriking. Both variants should be able the get into action turn 1 or grab early objectives while being able to hide more easily than Dragoons. Flamers might be worth hiding out of LoS to counter charging units, no DS needed here either.

I think hiding them out of LOS is going to be easier said than done.

That wingspan is pretty crazy - looks to be at least 3 times the width of the base (so thats 120+mm of wings to hide - times 5) 

Compared to something like swooping hawks or JP marines..they are MASSIVE models.

to get even a squad of five so none of the wings can be seen is gonna be tricky (albeit not as tricky as hiding 5 dragoons)

----- EDIT ----

Its also been pointed out in the rumours thread that it looks like only the sterilyzors get the claws (youll see on the models only the flameboys have those extened knive claws on their feet) - which would suck for the carbine guys if so... as theyre now useless in combat (2 S4 AP0 attacks each?)  - its  a  weird one as I get theyre meant to be more shooty than combaty - but the bombs you need to get in close for, so you could really do with some CC output (the carbines are useless against MEQ+ unless burning wrath of mars - and we have no idea if you can take more than 5 models in the unit)

So yeah, really hoping the 'Pteraxii claws' are actually available to each Pteraxii unit.

Edited by DanPesci

I believe that is the case Dan, it does appear that getting the moving over a vehicle requirement might be a little difficult. You will probably be able to double up, that seems to be the standard for new releases now. 

I think that the melee situation is also the case, the Skystalkers, despite their AT utility do fall into the same one trick pitfall as the infiltrators - we really do need more high power weaponry, we are the ones who make all the gear after all! I think after this a series of heavy Skitarii will be needed to make a full Skitarii force fully rounded. But at least we have speed and transports now! 

Factory is back in business folks

Took them a while to perform the rites of reopening... 

I assume the remaining PA books will come fairly fast to put them back on track, but we're next so either way it's a win.

Cannot wait now. So much new gear to add to the cohort. I've been ebay rescuing in the meantime but I really want some new, fresh plastic.

It feels like we have been waiting forever for these models to be released. I'm not sure what I'm going to go for but I think a chunky unit of Serberys cavalry is a good start, but I have no idea which set to build. The Raiders must have something amazing to compare against a wall of Phosphor and flame.