BA and 9th Ed

Only infantry get the -1 to hit with heavies when moving. Any other keyword that isn't infantry doesn't suffer the penalty.

I had someone point this out to me earlier. I think that the confusion layed in the fact that when they were promoting the rules changed they specifically mentioned monsters and vehicles on WarCom. Glad that bikes and others are included too. AB are gonna be good again.

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

Only infantry get the -1 to hit with heavies when moving. Any other keyword that isn't infantry doesn't suffer the penalty.

I had someone point this out to me earlier. I think that the confusion layed in the fact that when they were promoting the rules changed they specifically mentioned monsters and vehicles on WarCom. Glad that bikes and others are included too. AB are gonna be good again.

Same here. What the rule says and how we talk about it (including myself) are slightly different, so I get where the confusion comes from. 

Interesting: 

Goonhammer did a math hammer on Gravis armor and the part that stood out to me is that—according to thier analysis—plasma executioners on Inceptors are “superior in every way” to Assault Heavy bolters. Discuss.

https://www.goonhammer.com/hammer-of-math-gravis-armour/

Goonhammer did a math hammer on Gravis armor and the part that stood out to me is that—according to thier analysis—plasma executioners on Inceptors are “superior in every way” to Assault Heavy bolters. Discuss.

This pretty much confirms the hunch I had. That superiority now comes with added risk in terms of overheats now. Basically keep a Jump Captain handy to prevent the killing themselves and only overcharge when you REALLY need to.

Interesting: 

The article doesnt say if that damage is per point or not, which is in the assault bolter's favour, we also dont know what the stats of both weapons will be when the new codex is released. 

I might actually have to finish painting my 3 land speeders! Multi melta plus assault cannon sounds fun. Or go cheap and just the multi melta. Sadly they dont have a deep strike mechanic  anymore. Hope the multi melta stat trickles down to all units.

Interesting:

The article doesnt say if that damage is per point or not, which is in the assault bolter's favour, we also dont know what the stats of both weapons will be when the new codex is released.

True about the cost:damage ratio.

But I think it’s a valid point to consider: the plasma option is more utilitarian and effective unless you need to save on points.

I’m definetly wondering if it’s better to go with some interceptors rather than aggressors. The main reason I’m thinking of them is for the added mobility and greater flexibility. Bolt guns for hordes and plasma for everything else. I feel like they might just play a bit better with our rules and the armies we tend to feel. It’ll be a bit easier finding characters to babysit them at least.

But I look back and see just how many shots I get with the aggressors and I start drooling :D.

Interesting:

True about the cost:damage ratio.

But I think it’s a valid point to consider: the plasma option is more utilitarian and effective unless you need to save on points.

Absolutely, though it's a massive design fail to have the anti elite/materiel weapon be more killy against hordes when shooting, yknow, hordes. I have to hope GW did something about that...still, it's been in the game forever.

Still with a flat probability distribution, every plasma inceptor firing 6 shots will kill themselves in their own shooting phase, meaning you need a captain, driving the points invested in them up. Actually, against T3 hordes, you dont even need to overcharge. But then they're probably wasted killing hordes...

Edited by Xenith

Still with a flat probability distribution, every plasma inceptor firing 6 shots will kill themselves in their own shooting phase, meaning you need a captain, driving the points invested in them up. Actually, against T3 hordes, you dont even need to overcharge. But then they're probably wasted killing hordes...

This I think is the key. Only overcharge Plasmaceptors if you have a source of rerolls nearby AND you really need to do it. For instance, against T4, I wouldn't overcharge for the +1 to-Wound. Only if you need the 2D to be sure of a kill.

Whilst they may be wasted killing hordes, I think the point is that they are about as efficient vs hordes as Bolter Inceptors but have the ability to do a lot of damage (albeit at high risk) against tougher targets too.

5 games of 9th so far, 4 against chaos armies 2 of which were death guard. As things stand - depending how strong Necrons will be - death guard are way stronger than SM, point for point. There's a few under costed units for chaos Marines at the moment but they have some brilliant strats and abilities all round. DG have, amongst other things, the strongest warlord trait in the game and strongest source of mortal wound output.

Even in the last game I was still slipping into 8th mode. Making a charge on. a screen unit in order to tag the vehicles behind. lol still getting used to that one.

There are, amidst all the huge changes, a few little things where BA have an advantage we didn't have before. Smaller maps and new LoS rules mean you don't need to DS your San guard / DC. Easier to hide within reach of an objective, which makes the opponent think twice. Still easy enough to assault multiple threats when you can jump up close before charging.

My list now is much more streamlined. Characters are more for counter charge support on objectives. Captain smash has been dropped, after being in almost every game in 8th. Not worth the CP. Much to be said, but as Xenith mentioned above a key counter charge unit lying in wait while other stuff focuses on objectives is a good strategy in the new missions. BA have tools for it.

Edited by Shaezus

I think all the addiitonal Psychic Awakening rules, combined with the 9E changes set BA up as that real explosive, ticking time bomb, 3rd Turn threat.

Once you've occupied the mid-board (or your opponent has) and the Assault Doctrine jumps into place, things get incredibly gnarly suddenly having extra AP and Attacks.

The only issue is weathering the storm for the first couple of turns, except 9th ed really does help that.

I was reading a few posts earlier and thinking about it it does seem like a design intention behind 9th (if that isn't giving GW too much credit) was to make cavalry type Fast Attack units worthwhile.

We Blood Knights now boys.

Occupying the midfield really does seem paramount now. Thankfully we've got primaris for holding the line while we have our special units go and kill anything that dares to come to us.

Only issue with this will be terrain placement of course. If I remember correctly ITC was pretty barren (or at least the way my FLG played it was like that) so hopefully the new terrain placement will be a bit more heavy allowing us to shine.

Edit: I just realized that with the melta buff our assault squads might actually be worth bringing out again!

Edited by ThatOneMarshal

We've yet to see if the melta changes are restricted to multimelta - the eradicator melta rifle kept the old rule - or will expand to changing other classic melta options yet, or even if the new multimelta will be limited to Primaris. You'd normally expect the profile to roll out more widely given they didn't give the ATB a new weapon name (superhot multimelta or some such) but then, bladeguard storm shields. Would be nice to see normal meltas and inferno pistols get a buff, but given GW's general benign neglect for firstborn, I'm trying not to hope just yet.

My personal theory is that the multimelta changes will apply to all MMs but not other weapons. The reason for this is that regular melta guns got a points drop for the start of 9th while MMs went up. This suggests to me they costed MMs with the new stats in mind.

Melta rifles are their own thing and they get the double-fire rule when concentrating shots.

My personal theory is that the multimelta changes will apply to all MMs but not other weapons. The reason for this is that regular melta guns got a points drop for the start of 9th while MMs went up. This suggests to me they costed MMs with the new stats in mind.

Melta rifles are their own thing and they get the double-fire rule when concentrating shots.

also interesting that melta rifles use the old roll two dice and take highest rule for damage, where multi meltas get d6+2 damage too.

I think the best two secondaries for us are engage on all fronts and linebreaker, with our fast moving elites and infiltrators we should be able to max these out pretty fast while playing the objectives game