Cornelivs Maximvs Allied Regiments

GreenScorpion

I have been working on conversions or scratch built stuff for the past days (there is a secret project which I should be able to show soon, when some last details are finished), so today I bring you some photos of a scratch built building based mostly on cardboard and with some spare pieces from my Mantic terrain.

Spoiler

eQaZ9JP.jpg

dk1Dn5l.jpg

oCYAMxA.jpg

FrrNdp3.jpg

Cn6imkM.jpg

8qGWj8W.jpg

Although the ice cream images would be an interesting idea for a store, they should disappear once the building is painted. The major objective of this building is to provide a civilian building with a relatively flat surface that can be used during combat but that is clearly not prepared or fortified for combat operations.

On the painting side of things, I am currently painting some of the pirates for the crew of Cornelivs flagship which are essentially GW's chaos cultists. They should go nicely with the rest of the crew which are essentially Blackstone Fortress traitor guardsmen, but I am thinking that I could make some more crew members from the stargrave kits I have bought, if I provide them with more close combat weapons and less standardized gear.

A quick update from the front, I have finished painting 15 members of Cornelivs pirate crew (based on chaos cultists but meant to be "good" guys, at least for pirates), who surrendered to Cornelivs and ended up becoming some of his most loyal followers, although they retain most of their primitive combat tactics, both inside space ships and on land.

Spoiler

wygzG3x.jpg

zJwTPVZ.jpg

0BQAPYr.jpg

As can be seen in the pictures above, I went with 3 base colours for the 3 squads, switching the primary, secondary and tertiary colours to make each of the groups distinct, despite the fact that the models themselves are essentially clones of each other. These are likely to be the 3 most flashy colour schemes I have painted so far, but I think they work really well with the base models.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I managed to finish the large secret project I had mentioned previously.

The idea was to build a large cargo transport vehicle with tracks, in order to carry stuff around the battlefield in a similar way to the necromunda ridgehauler.

I started with a damaged toy truck that has endured a difficult life on the family farm, having suffered damage by people stepping on it, moving it around and even damaged by rodents. All that damage will be used as battle damage during the painting process.
For a reference on how it started and how it is at the moment, I have taken before and after pictures. The container with the gunners is only for size reference.

Before:

Spoiler

1TXuj3Y.jpg

fRHFQgM.jpg

EwvRBAn.jpg

After:

Spoiler

mH1ndne.jpg

VTVO2bf.jpg

CH74AyL.jpg

tRErQF5.jpg

7KVaUN1.jpg

VonNsZL.jpg

As can be seen the vehicle is huge (around 50% longer than a baneblade and about the same width), but the gunner on the top is only for defence.
The back can be used for cargo, vehicles (a leman russ would fit without the side weapons) or adapted for the transportation of infantry.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:37 PM, duz_ said:

That is one giant truck... 

Feels like a good starting point for a battlefield leviathan! :woot:

I have actually seen some pictures of a leviathan in some sort of event with a superheavy coming out of it:

Spoiler

109622-Leviathan,%20Volpone%20Leviathan.

Don't really tempt me to attempt to build something of that scale, because I wouldn't have the space to store such a beast :biggrin:
(I would also need large weapons and large quantities of materials but those could certainly be arranged)

Decided to check how many miniatures I have painted in 2022 as a way to measure my progress and after checking the photos of the different batches, I realized that between infantry (including characters), HWT, cavalry, vehicles and buildings, I have painted 749 models. Obviously most of it was infantry, but for little more than 10 months I think it is a relatively good progress.

I am still far from being a good painter, but I have noticed some improvement over the past months and even if I am far from being able to earn any prizes for my painting, I have been extremely consistent and older miniatures don't look bad next to the newer ones, even if some additional details might be noticeable or highlighted in some cases.

@duz_ Thanks :smile:

I have the intention of taking some group photos of the entire painted army, which is currently over 1200 miniatures, but the logistics of such an operation are not easy and likely it will have to wait for my next holidays.
Regardless, I think until 2022 ends I will still add a few more models to the list of painted models.

I know I haven't shown a significant part of the painted models lately, but it is mostly because I have been filtering some stuff that is less adequate for the ranks of the astra militarum.

Currently I am working on some vehicles, so hopefully the mechanized part of the army gets painted.

For those curious to see how the current progress is in relation to the overall miniatures, here is the latest in both table and graph form:
large.overall_miniature_status_08_11_2022_table.png.a4fc334675ad5b3ca1f20dc19388dbfd.png

large.overall_miniature_status_08_11_2022_graph.png.f8a94c5f7147c87d90642007b14544da.png

Some more progress from the front, 4 sentinel equivalents were painted today (mantic strider models).

Spoiler

yJkmFS6.jpg

yXm1CrY.jpg

I have already prepared my last mantic mule (ground transport) and hornet (air transport) for painting next weekend, which when finished will conclude all the models I got from mantic, except the terrain (which is being saved for the event). I have also primed 5 tanks from meng toon models, which should be the last batch of vehicles to work on before I start with the terrain.
In parallel I have also worked on putting some paint on some of the bridges I have shown in the thread before, pictures to come once everything is ready.

As part of my self imposed zero parts challenge, I have been trying to find somewhat creative ways to spend the spare bits (not necessarily the most visual pleasing ways, but creative nonetheless :biggrin: ).

After looking at the spare front plates from my mantic hornets (the air transports have front plates for plague and regular version so one extra per model), I have decided to use them in a vehicle that is meant to resemble a modified train/metropolitan section that was covered with additional metal plates and other gear that turned it into a slightly more fortified vehicle. Since this was meant to move through roads, I have added wheels to the basic structure and some weapons were added to be used defensively against anyone attempting to steal the valuable supplies transported within.

The vehicle was mostly built using cardboard and paper, but it reasonably sturdy and should be able to endure the intended role (might not survive long in the hands of a child, but for terrain, objectives or other roles it should be adequate enough).

RTUj9uT.jpg

More pictures under the spoiler:

Spoiler

icVmOLb.jpg

LA20whS.jpg

cE8Jnzm.jpg

ARUPU0V.jpg

B2GICVE.jpg

K7RFV33.jpg

WFeEcQt.jpg

iE1QFOr.jpg

The entire vehicle is slightly over 30cm in length (around 12 inches) and a bit over 10cm in width (around 4 inches) and should be a good candidate for convoy duty while surrounded by more mobile vehicles, like leman russes or chimeras, bringing important supplies to the front line.

The wheels don't actually work, but the method I used would allow working wheels to be added, in case I wish to do it with other vehicle concepts in the future.

In what relates to the bridges, 5 of the 6 bridges are ready (the simpler ones), with the last one still requiring varnish to protect some stuff. Hopefully the remaining work will be done by the end of the week.

The last bridge is finally ready (the varnish took a while to dry up due to the rain), so today I bring you 6 scratch made bridges.

They have no pillars as I am planning to make separate pillars for different heights and the bridges are sturdy enough to be used between two buildings/surfaces without requiring pillars in the middle.

A chimera was used in 2 of the pictures for scale reference.

YlPREy4.jpg

Spoiler

ySpC0qX.jpg

BMLTd5r.jpg

3wtce6W.jpg

d1yLncj.jpg

kjGJokq.jpg

OCfUI9s.jpg

BQ3TLYq.jpg

1Rx5Cpj.jpg

YqywtSm.jpg

The wood sticks were covered with a matte varnish and the same was done with the sand covered portions of the more complex bridge.

Another week passes and more models get painted. This week I come bringing 1 mantic hornet and 1 mantic mule models painted up (air and ground transports respectively).

These 2 models bring the current total for 2022 to 761 painted models :smile:

Spoiler

Zv3Em48.jpg

eG3IoPV.jpg

a4V9FSM.jpg

yeiMCNX.jpg

9f1E7x5.jpg

iqJqynB.jpg

Next on the paint queue are 5 light tanks that I got from Meng's World War Toons and once that is done I will work on my terrain pledge for the incoming event :smile:

Lets see what I can paint until the end of the year to join the relatively good progress of 2022.

You might remember the pickup vehicle that I modified slightly on a previous post:

I got a second one and modified it a bit more to turn it into a mobile missile launcher with a working rotating turret.

zY4SCEc.jpg

Spoiler

zTgsJzB.jpg

nYzcAoW.jpg

DJG6sBt.jpg

It might be hard to see, but the copilot is armed with a shovel :smile:

AKpAMB2.jpg

I am thinking that it could be used as a manticore equivalent, but it was built merely because I thought it would look cool :biggrin:

"Soldier 1: I come bearing terrible news, Commander GreenScorpion fell in combat!

Soldier 2: Our Commander is dead?

Soldier 1 shakes his head dismissing that question before he replies: No the Commander actually fell and injured his legs, there was blood everywhere, so he is currently limping around the camp and won't be participating in battles for a few days.

Soldier 2: That is terrible, but at least he is alive!"

Reports about my accident are somewhat exaggerated, especially the amount of the blood or the fact that it happened in combat.
I had to do some repairs on the farm yesterday and a piece of rotten wood caused me to fell from a height of roughly 1 meter (~3 feet) and so I am currently limping around and in pain, but for the most part still functional.

The irony in all this is that I started working on a wheelchair bound character based on my books last Thursday and so I yesterday I managed to finish the character while I was also facing some mobility issues on my legs.

Verica Salacia is the leader of House Salacia, an important group of mech operators in my last Cornelivs Maximvs book. The mechs are piloted through a spinal connection and during a battle she sustained damage to the spine that made her paraplegic. Due to the fragility of the remaining nervous system, she was bound to a wheelchair, rather than healed with the help of cybernetic body parts. Despite her physical fragility, she is still in charge of House Salacia and equally feared and respected among the imperial forces in the region.

qxDWBjC.jpg

2GUSOCm.jpg

@Tallarn Commander Thanks, it is often great when I manage to turn mental concepts into actual miniatures with my somewhat reduced yet constantly improving skills :smile:

Some more updates from the front, I have added the ground to my 2 sniper huts using air drying clay and left the holes for the aquarium vegetation that will be used to cover the building. The vegetation will be glued once they are painted, along with the camouflage nets, in order to help the sniper blend in with the environment.

eDSN458.jpg

DEfIxUC.jpg

I have also built 3 more converted HWT based on cadian parts. I only have the parts for 3 more and then I will be out of cadian HWT.

IwbzVwE.jpg

On the painting side, I should finish a batch of light tanks tomorrow (it is a national holiday in my country) and then I will start working on the terrain that I pledged for the current Muster the Guard event. I have already primed some of buildings with spray paint and I should have everything primed over the weekend if things go well.

My injuries from the accident last weekend are healing well, so hopefully they won't interfere much with the painting activities planned. I need to be more careful in the future it seems, I don't heal as well as I did when I was younger :oops:

Another day of painting, another batch of miniatures painted :smile:
This time I finished 5 scout/light tanks based on Meng's world war toons.
Now I can finally focus on painting the buildings for my pledge. Hopefully the first building will be ready this weekend.

Spoiler

BmKOe0Y.jpg

EVaNzv0.jpg

m0Rw2H7.jpg

SUHF2PH.jpg

4WDH6WN.jpg

7nXZLGw.jpg

UgLd9PJ.jpg

RdB4225.jpg

KuIOnnn.jpg

bkg59f2.jpg

Finished the first of the fortifications I pledge for the Muster the Guard Event, as well as some battlefield decorations:

JijJghD.jpg

Spoiler

RKL2yDf.jpg

uOLouqk.jpg

9gw0EUz.jpg

jeeKP24.jpg

Qymc1z8.jpg

qIPlc5k.jpg

pTkNcTX.jpg

6O7CD4G.jpg

PCXHQ6c.jpg

5h8RSit.jpg

qcfQ84g.jpg

JBkS9O2.jpg

oqslamR.jpg

a0OKlM6.jpg

0Br213Z.jpg

mc0Pidk.jpg

Already started with the second building, hopefully it will be finished tomorrow. The last of the 7 buildings from my pledge was primed today, currently drying.

The last 3 HWT based on Cadian HWT parts. Still have a few bits to spend from the HWT sprues but no more heavy weapons so I guess 36 converted HWT is where it ends (I used a few weapons in other kinds of conversions).

Given I only got 10 HWT pairs of sprues (1 from GSC Cult Insurrection, 3 from the Cadian Defense Force and 6 from 2 boxes of the Apocalypse sets), having 10 out of the box and 36 extra is certainly more than enough (or is it? :biggrin:).

One thing is for sure, I won't be running out of firepower anytime soon (or HWT to paint).

andAZr2.jpg

Another national holiday around here, so more buildings have been finished :smile:

Spoiler

LJrEoAJ.jpg

1nFJ6Qs.jpg

esgNBKE.jpg

w7cPRds.jpg

0WaqBM0.jpg

pDtLlTq.jpg

I3IOlPN.jpg

szwKQe3.jpg

seiI5qw.jpg

5Q8vl0Q.jpg

ri7V2h8.jpg

vGrJNUv.jpg

3s7ryp6.jpg

wHkH495.jpg

The last 2 buildings of my Muster the Guard pledge have been started already, so hopefully they will get finished this weekend.

Afterwards I will return to painting some vehicles, in order to try and get all of the Meng's World War Toons tanks painted in the next few weeks.

Another update from the front, mostly focused on new acquisitions and scratch built terrain.

I have been acquiring some scale vehicles for several purposes, including conversion into vehicles for the army and some that will be used mostly as decoration once I start working on the town itself.
I found some fire department vehicles for terrain/objectives/decoration, as well as some medical first response vehicles and a police vehicle (actually not quite police since in Portugal we have two basic police like forces PSP and GNR, with GNR being what you see on the vehicle below).

They are not all the same scale but they are still usable for what I intend to use them.

Spoiler

1eRgre0.jpg

N84wui2.jpg

LmGuKHV.jpg

LpGkQzo.jpg

Fq8Kfl1.jpg

Proof that Batman is actually a space marine :biggrin:

6utFdY0.jpg

1vSwkSd.jpg

I have also been busy building some terrain and after searching for some furniture to decorate the outside of the building, I ended up buying some small scale stuff for doll houses which fits the typical scale of 40k.

The concept behind the building is that it was a civilian building that was barricaded when war came to that particular region.

The furniture includes 2 chairs, a table that I built, 1 barbecue and something for the local children.

Spoiler

TctQeL6.jpg

Ni15503.jpg

30bOxxk.jpg

ClCTltH.jpg

Kd7KSLx.jpg

4TTipKn.jpg

QeNFMXw.jpg

GVzlg8p.jpg

I have finished the building I pledged for the event today, bringing the total to 7 fortifications of various sizes.

Spoiler

WUqXcRB.jpg

Muknnwg.jpg

4q9vEUk.jpg

d5phkAH.jpg

ssMLP2u.jpg

frRhbCm.jpg

pzvHW1d.jpg

LWOpXA5.jpg

xj1YIGJ.jpg

3pf6wZy.jpg

sb52HbC.jpg

4qIamSE.jpg

bJV1R20.jpg

u0qJopr.jpg

zLDBZIJ.jpg

And a blurry picture of the full set:

a7NFWXf.jpg

Next I will be working on some more vehicles, which are currently in different stages of WIP (a batch of 5 is almost ready and another batch of 5 is currently drying after being sprayed with primer).