Cornelivs Maximvs Allied Regiments

GreenScorpion

That’s a LOT of bodies!

They’re gonna look formidable once fully painted!

Thanks Jud :)

It will likely take a few more months for them to be painted, but I look forward to that.

As mentioned yesterday, here is another batch of afghan miniatures painted for the regiments of Harpig:

DWc5VZr.jpg

LjuK0pc.jpg

hnwmYiN.jpg

BlLl17W.jpg

zaYIlYf.jpg

AoBy4cR.jpg

D4eP4Kd.jpg

85PE6zG.jpg

Painted infantry has now reached 18% (384, 152 of which just since I moved here) with this batch with the built infantry being now at 78% (1699).

Still lots of stuff to work on :)

Just a short update from the front, I have been busy with building the last few boxes of infantry I have in this apartment and I have reached an interesting completion rate for my infantry collection. Currently I only have 18% more infantry to build from total purchased which is the same percentage as the amount of currently painted infantry.
The last box of infantry I have around will be started today and should be finished next monday.

Due to the stock shortness at this location, I will continue working on my terrain and experiments, so the majority of the next updates until Christmas should be either cardboard based terrain or something else I experiment with in the evenings or weekends :) (and occasionally some of the models I have been painting on weekends).

With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to reinforce a cardboard structure? The major issue I am seeing at the moment is that the boxes have a tendency to move sideways and stop having 90º angles. I might post something about this question later on the modelling section of the forum.

Today I bring you something different from usual, hobby stuff not done by me :)

My mother has been using varnish to repair some old chairs and in between she put some varnish on the passageways I have built some months ago with ice cream wooden sticks.

She also found use for a plant that dried out due to the cold and placed some varnish on it to preserve it and allow its usage as a tree. The varnish is not shiny so everything looks a bit like natural wood, which is nice.

Tree for terrain

Bridges and passageways

I will try to take some more pictures of it when I go home for the holidays :)

Another update from the front, I have finished building the locally available miniatures, bringing the infantry build rate to 84%

Below you can see how the recently built models look like (the rest are in the small plastic shelves you can see in the top right corner of the second picture).

zSN037B.jpg

Z4qII6c.jpg

Based on some recommendations on the modelling section of the forum, I was able to find a way to reinforce the corners of my cardboard buildings to prevent them from moving sideways when weight was placed on them.

I have achieved this by placing small wooden matches to keep the cardboard from moving along the corners and deforming.
Even without further layers of cardboard, it already holds the weight of the 2 scaled cars I have shown previously, which have a metal chassis.

I will add two layers of cardboard on the walls, to reinforce them further, so they are even stronger.

You might notice that they are not exactly at 90º in the picture, but that is because I tried to glue most of the matches at the same time and that led some of them to move slightly from their intended position, but despite being slightly deformed, they are always deformed in the same way, so objective partially achieved I guess :biggrin.:

I will be more careful with the other buildings.

FVCzEbv.jpg

J3kTjME.jpg

The plan for the next few days is to continue working on terrain, starting with some bridges.

Edited by GreenScorpion

I have been working on my terrain this week, mostly reusing different kinds of cardboard from various origins.

I have built a second bridge in a similar way to the other one I had shown here previously, which will be mostly intended for small vehicles or infantry to move trough.
I improved some of the design problems with the first one and this is was actually far easier and faster to build. Although the individual layers of cardboard are thin, I have added 4 layers for the floor of the bridge and after glued it is really strong and doesn't bend if I put some weight on it (obviously reasonable miniature related weight ;) ).

I am thinking about making some hazard stripe signs for the sides of the bridge, in order to cover the layers that are visible in the front and the back (those signs are used to indicate narrow areas in my country's roads or obstacles so it makes sense).

DkbsLYM.jpg

o7whADQ.jpg

Lqk9TD9.jpg

cSnxa0C.jpg

For larger vehicles and potentially even a super heavy, if I ever get one, I decided to make a wider bridge with roughly the same length.
I used some ticker cardboard which came as filling on some of my hobby related orders and another box of ice cream for the sides.

I placed some plastic from the same ice creams below the bridge and that will be used to attach the pillars when they are made in the future (I still need to think on how large the pillars should be before doing that part).
It wasn't a bad result for a first try, but I might need to improve the process a bit if I do another one.

fLsf66D.jpg

VTImAc0.jpg

gUHe6F9.jpg

t0u89UV.jpg

Still have a few more cardboard boxes available so I should do some more buildings next week.
This weekend I will continue to paint the last batch of afghans I have here, but I don't I will be able to completely finish them, I might need another weekend to get them fully ready.

Thanks duz. I am assuming that those 4" would be between the pillars, or would that also be in terms of height from the table to the bridge surface?

I have been thinking about whether the larger bridge will be placed over a river or linking different buildings as that would influence the length of the pillars.

There are decisions I haven't made because they depend on how the full table/large diorama will be made whenever I get a permanent house with a dedicate hobby space for everything I have been working on so far (hopefully next year depending on covid and work situation).

Edited by GreenScorpion

Contrary to my expectations, I was able to finish painting the last batch of afghan miniatures yesterday, so here are the pictures I took today of the finished models :)

3KZ3Mk0.jpg

grvYHgj.jpg

CcaFfSf.jpg

2YRWqIv.jpg

KjYK6Hq.jpg

gEYfR1w.jpg

0Ichza5.jpg

UMzTyYn.jpg

To give a bit of a group shot, I took some poorly detailed photos of the 192 miniatures I have painted at this location. Each drawer has 96 soldiers.

t7L9XLT.jpg

GCg7NHg.jpg

I have also worked a bit more on my terrain by adding some more layers to the tunnel entrances I had shown before.

Unfortunately something went wrong with the new layers somehow and they ended up being bent on some areas, but nothing that would look out of place on the entrance to a poorly maintained tunnel, so it should be fine. The walls themselves are extremely sturdy now and seemed to be capable of holding some significant weight if needed.

50LiDhE.jpg

nwPBoCv.jpg

YCtqth1.jpg

Thanks Jud :)

A very short update from the front, I had saved a soap container for reuse as some sort of reservoir for my terrain and since I had a bit of clay that was drying despite being inside a closed bag, I decided to spend the clay before it became completely unusable to secure the joints between a plastic cap from clothes detergent and the reservoir itself.

The clay was a bit less useful then I would have desired, so some parts are a bit weird, but I can fix them later or paint it like some of the materials are rusty or falling apart.

The plan is to connect some pipes to this reservoir on the sides of the detergent cap and make a few more reservoirs to spread around some sort of industrial area.

KCbPXRC.jpg

L7COHBb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With covid numbers rising and remote working being highly recommended again, I ended up returning home earlier than expected, giving me some more time with my family before the holidays :)

While the things I have been working on changed a bit because of my location, I am pleased to report some more progress.

The first box of GW miniatures I have ever built was actually an Escher gang for necromunda (the plastic ones not the old ones).

They were primed with spray paint about 3 years ago and since I returned home earlier I decided I had to change that.

soWepRc.jpg

lqFVFk7.jpg

AoXqzMp.jpg

TahkEA3.jpg

Next in the paint queue are some conversions I did in 2018 and that were primed around the same time (yay! I am cleaning up my true pile of shame, the unfinished stuff :D )

After a significant price increase, I have been waiting for Meng's World War Toons tanks to have a sale and it finally happened with the "Black Friday" sale of the store where I can get them around here. Since I had 3 porsche turret tigers and 5 of the normal tiger tanks, I decided to get 2 more of the porsche turret ones to round numbers a bit, as well as get some more reinforcements for my armoured units. I got some panzer IV, some Matilda II, Churchill and panther tanks from that line (5 of each, I like round numbers, although what is a round number to me is not necessarily a constant thing :P ). Of the new tanks, the Churchill is roughly the size of a leman russ or chimera and could be easily used as a proxy for those tanks.

The other 3 tank models are smaller or narrower and will be used as light tanks and intended to provide me with some scout tanks to move ahead of the columns. In essence it would be something like a salamander but not of that size, since they are shorter than a chimera hull.

For some heavier vehicles, I got 2 Leopard 2A5 and 2 Leopard 2A6 tanks in 1:35 scale which certainly look big enough to represent a super heavy. I also got some helicopters but that is a conversation for another time.

I am planning to build 1 of each leopard tanks per instructions and do some slight conversion work to the second box of each (perhaps adding some GW weapons and gear).

Since those models are big, I will need a good amount of time to work on them, so for now I have been building some of the World War Toon tanks which typically are push fit and thus faster to assemble.

Some pictures of 3 of the tanks I have built over the previous days.

Panzer IV

gWVG59X.jpg

GviPH6l.jpg

fWdyVt2.jpg

Churchill

csuSD2M.jpg

ajN0Oij.jpg

qa74tnj.jpg

Panther

oY378Gx.jpg

pPElmIG.jpg

U1zNniQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on a lot of stuff lately, so I will try to stick to the highlights of the past few days :smile.:

First of all, I have been building a lot of tanks, but since each model of the same type looks the same unpainted, I will just show the photos of the Matilda II tank which wasn't in my previous posts.

rlKzaHe.jpg

QtaFq1V.jpg

HBTaAVO.jpg

There was once a thing called Praetorian Imperial Guard regiments and since I participated in the Dawn of War: Soulstorm mod for that regiment I though it made sense to have those represented with some historical british miniatures. I used Zulu war and Sudhan/Afghan war boxes from Perry Miniatures and they are honestly really nice kits.

The small dogs in the pictures below are actually the officers in charge of the squads, namely Captain Black Paws and Lieutenant Wolf. Which one is which should be noticeable when they are painted :wink:

I have built 2 of the casualties as if they are still fighting or making use of cover for an ambush or something. I expect everyone to look really nice when painted.

Sudan/Afghan box

JcC1AOu.jpg

vfnt99T.jpg

lj3Nq66.jpg

poCDJB0.jpg

Sv4A4JP.jpg

weCECe3.jpg

7NBqCPa.jpg

5XgrD7u.jpg

Zulu box

sE0ajA0.jpg

VJuMBqQ.jpg

yF6dxre.jpg

8IiYoD3.jpg

7RFX6DL.jpg

287HtOo.jpg

t0tIEjH.jpg

8M79bd4.jpg

Part 1 of 2 (had to split because of high number of images).

Edited by GreenScorpion

Part 2 of 2 (too many images).

I have also built some french heavy cavalry for rough riders which come with some casualties as well, although none of them seem usable as something else other than wounded.

DJzyHpl.jpg
qi7O5xS.jpg
v6cR09W.jpg
k7phEzw.jpg
FB1EjmU.jpg

Additionally, I have been experimenting with some two part silicone putty to make moulds for making copies of stuff I sculpt or currently to make the bodies of some extra horses that I will need (the legs and some other stuff will be done with greenstuff and sprue bits). To have an idea of how the mould and copy procedure worked, I copied a backpack and it worked rather nicely.

fbzDzmD.jpg
O7p1hcv.jpg

Last but not the least, I have finished painting some more miniatures, this time 10 converted miniatures made from Anvil Industry parts, which were originally meant as enforcers/officers for my "renegades" (I know that mg42's and sniper rifles aren't exactly officer gear, but I thought it would look nice). The remaining 5 miniatures are conversions based on Anvil Industry and GW parts and represent some of my irregular soldiers that are used to represent some of Cornelivs core supporters. The four armed guy is Clodius "Four Arms", the oldest friend of Cornelivs and essentially his bodyguard on and off the battlefield. The 3 armed girl with a cadian helmet is Filipa, Clodius girlfriend and a relevant character on my first book :)

NpNXhP4.jpg
o6qtAi9.jpg
oyS29dh.jpg

On the paint queue are some more characters and on the build queue I have been working mostly on the fauns and centaurs which represent some of Cornelivs allies.
I am finally running out of boxes to build and things should reach 100% for all kinds of models in a few weeks.
As you can see the painting is moving much slower, but progress has been steady and I am happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...

These last few days have continued to be quite busy with hobby related stuff :)

I have painted a few more infantry, mostly characters of various kinds, which correspond to people in my books or concepts I had thought about using but ended up not being included.

From Left to Right:

- Cassandra and Rafaela, a sniper and spotter duo which originally wanted to kill Cornelivs for the prize on his head but were convinced to join him;

- Alpha, an ancient traveller who was tortured and later turned into a cyborg, which possesses a very good knowledge of ancient technology and has good engineering skills (a techpriest equivalent in 40k terms);

- Lieutenant Susana Santos (later promoted to Captain), Cornelivs wife and a very disciplined officer who formerly belonged to the regiments of Aidaca (the reason for the similar greatcoat);

- Hannah, a former member of the militia guarding Nietsan who was identified as a psycher and trained by Septimus;

2Zcs1eZ.jpg

From Left to Right:

- Mister Cortez, a massive creature used as the bodyguard of Doctor Tavares, Cortez was created by the Doctor through strange genetic modifications and many suspect that the huge warrior is partially undead, given the fact that the Doctor spent many years perfecting zombie retrovirus in an attempt to find a cure for the degenerative disease that afflicted his wife and daughters;

- Carlos, one of the Doctor's assistants, he has served him for many years and supported him even when he was imprisoned due to the experiments with the forbidden retrovirus strains;

- Helena, another assistant of Doctor Tavares, always loyal to the Doctor, despite the troubled years following the death of his wife and daughters;

- Doctor Tavares, an extremely capable medic with knowledge in genetic mutation, retrovirus and advanced cloning techniques, Tavares was rescued by Cornelivs and serves the military leader, providing his warriors with advanced medical treatments, prosthetics and other helpful medical procedures. Although Tavares has become partially crazy due to the loss of his family, he has agreed to stop his radical research and started working only in projects approved by Cornelivs or his officers;

- Unnamed character who was initially considered as a preacher concept, but currently I am not sure what it should represent;

jkSL740.jpg

More unnamed characters and some genestealer cult familiars that will represent enemies of the warriors under Cornelivs.

sroyP21.jpg

A casualty that came with the Doctor and his retinue, unfortunately the picture doesn't really represent how well the blood coming out of the bullet wound looks in person.

fq4qaPl.jpg

To be honest my painting skills are still far from being excellent, but I am reaching a situation where they look rather nicely in person from a regular tabletop distance (without painting eyes and such, they obviously won't look good from a couple centimetres away), but my skills as a photographer don't do them justice :|

I have also built one of my super heavies with 1/35 Leopard tanks.

kP66tD3.jpg

dMIfeEE.jpg

VpWOiE6.jpg

I built one of the two 1/48 Apache helicopters as well.

MW2g3dr.jpg

1INlB1Y.jpg

And also the last of my buildings, a farmhouse from Perry Miniatures "Battle in a Box".

hxbzZRp.jpg

I have built and done a lot more than what is shown, but this are the highlights of the last days. In terms of the assembly/building phase, I am missing only 121 infantry, 14 cavalry soldiers and 4 large vehicles. All heavy weapons I have were built, as well as the buildings.

I have been having a hard time to get things primed for painting due to the weather, but hopefully I should start working on another batch of miniatures in the coming days :)

The backlog is progressing steadily, which is certainly something to be proud of.

Your collection is very interesting I still love the way an army made of 3rd party model just works to put a lot of personality into such a huge army as the AM/IG. 
Could you put some infantry models in next to your various vehicles in the future? Difficult to judge the scale of things like that Apache even knowing it's 1/48.  
Happy New Year!

Your collection is very interesting I still love the way an army made of 3rd party model just works to put a lot of personality into such a huge army as the AM/IG. 

Could you put some infantry models in next to your various vehicles in the future? Difficult to judge the scale of things like that Apache even knowing it's 1/48.  

Happy New Year!

Thanks, I like to mix stuff from different sources, especially in what relates to infantry/characters, as it fits really well with the concept of a force composed of different groups and people who were saved or recruited along the way :)

I will remember to put some infantry next to the vehicles when I take the next photos.

For the helicopter I still need to make some conversions for the pilots inside the cockpit, I left the cockpit cover unglued so I can paint the inside of the cockpit and add some crew sometime in the future :)

First post of the year around here, with some updates from the front :)

I have finished painting 3 missile/rpg HWT, 3 infantry soldiers and a character by the name of Sergeant Vasquez (the guy with the long coat).

hZ4wo1P.jpg

FQD49jo.jpg

YxKUZtE.jpg

C2s5ViW.jpg

I finished building all of my infantry yesterday, so now I only have 4 large vehicles and a box of cavalry on the build queue.

While checking the sprues of the cavalry box in more detail yesterday, I noticed that I will have some spare torsos, which might lead to some tank commanders in the likeness of the "Drive me closer I want to hit them with my sword" meme :D

Obviously I have some pistols and other arms that I might use for variety, but the sword arms are likely the ones that fit those torsos better :)

Next on the painting queue are 2 infantry squads (some anvil+cadians+gsc conversions and a 10 men/women tempestus squad), plus my only commissar model.

Another update from the front with another progress update :)

I have built the box of French Chasseurs and thus cleared the backlog of cavalry models waiting to be assembled:

a7dNjvs.jpg

SDDCKnn.jpg

dNLfgYi.jpg

9cRadDI.jpg

At the moment, the only boxes waiting to be build are three 1/35 scale tanks for super heavies and one 1/48 scale helicopter for air support.
A lot of boxes have been spent over the past few months in order to get this far.

For an overall view of the status, this graph can give a better view:

overall miniature status 03 01 2022 graph

In terms of infantry, the built bar represents 2176 individual infantry models, including characters, while cavalry consists of 198 models and heavy weapons represent 46 teams, including artillery, crewed by 112 soldiers. There are 64 built vehicles, which should eventually reach 68 when I finish the remaining 4 boxes, with the buildings representing a not so high number of 11 (scratch built bridges and other terrain are not yet counted as the building/converting stage for those is not yet concluded and I currently have no record for wip conversions/scratch building).

Now that most things are built the focus will be on painting all those things and slowly doing some conversions with the spare parts (and obviously assembling the last 4 vehicles to reach 100% :D ). If things go well, the green bars will keep rising throughout 2022 and eventually I will add a tracking column for basing when I start with that sort of thing.

Thanks WarriorFish! As someone who has worked a lot with spreadsheets in the past, I can tell it feels nice to make charts for things that actually make me happy :D

I had mentioned before that one of the boxes of cavalry had more riders than horses due to uniform choices for legs/torsos, so I made some copies of horses to use as the base for some conversions.

Pictured below are the 3 first riders from a batch of 14 as they are in their current WIP state.
As you can see the horses still lack most of their legs and the riders are still headless and partially armless :)

The horse legs will be done using some reused materials and greenstuff, with the intention of having something that looks like metallic prosthetics, in order to disguise the imperfection of the horses by making them look like some sort of cyborg creatures.

2p00lyl.jpg

A quick update from the front, last weekend I finished painting another batch of infantry, 10 scions, 10 converted infantry soldiers and 1 commissar.

The officer in charge of the scions is Lieutenant Dryantilla (the one with the blue power fist), who leads the unit known as Scorpion Claws. The Scorpion Claws often serve as the unofficial retinue of Commissar Diorix, assisting him in his role of keeping discipline among the warriors.

FjVix0u.jpg

y3Y1ABZ.jpg

a8tUoEM.jpg

OWnyxhT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy with some cavalry conversions as you might have read in previous posts and last friday I finally finished building everything.
Although the horses are all based on the same original parts, I was able to make different poses and I think they ended up quite dynamic with even a horse going down, as if it had been shot or something. The lower legs look strange as they are meant to represent cybernetic prosthetics as these are not natural horses.

2b2VWh2.jpg

Ca2ZJSA.jpg

zc1luAr.jpg

TEiFnU3.jpg

I have also worked on finishing painting my pledge for the current challenge and today I did the last steps on 25 soldiers.

I was mostly interested in the modelling aspect when I built these, so you can see characterful soldiers, like the medic who uses a power fist as the anaesthetics and other interesting concepts which might not be codex approved but look nice regardless.

6vWPkYV.jpg

gbac4uC.jpg

dX4asSj.jpg

ZXOaIuP.jpg

5Vu0qNl.jpg

This batch brings painted infantry to a total of 523 models or 24% of my current infantry models.

Next on the paint queue is a chimera and 3 HWT (1 mortar team, 1 autocannon team and 1 lascannon team), which represent the rest of the cadian defence force I bought over 3 years ago.

On the conversion table, I currently have a scale car which I have shown some months ago and is being converted to have a gunner and a few other characteristics which were missing from the original model. Expect some pictures soon, as the modelling part is only a day or two away from being concluded :)

Another small update from the front, I have finished the conversion of the scale car and it can be used now as a light scout vehicle with a manned heavy weapon.

The idea was to give it a look of ramshackle conversion made on the battlefield with available stuff so in the end everything looks a bit rough around the edges, with the grid protecting the windows being a clear addition to an existing vehicle. The way this concept worked well has motivated me to try out a few similar concepts, so expect further conversions along the same lines in the future :)

7dKFi0X.jpg

Uuw0elZ.jpg

NuB5PU3.jpg